Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
He was scary as gently caress in Sexy Beast, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Laterite posted:

He was scary as gently caress in Sexy Beast, too.

Still bizarre to me that Ray Winstone is the least scary central character in that film.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

davidspackage posted:

Deadwood was the first thing I remember seeing him in, and now his English accent always sounds fake to me.
I have the same condition. See also: Hugh Laurie.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

LividLiquid posted:

I have the same condition. See also: Hugh Laurie.

Add Andrew Lincoln to that list.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

Jerusalem posted:

Still bizarre to me that Ray Winstone is the least scary central character in that film.

Just living the dream.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Laterite posted:

Just living the dream.

People say, "Don't you miss it, Gal?" I say, "What, England? Nah. loving place. It's a dump. Don't make me laugh. Grey, grimy, sooty. What a poo poo hole. What a toilet. Every oval office with a long face shuffling about, moaning, all worried. No thanks, not for me." They say, "What's it like, then, Spain?" And I'll say, "It's hot. Hot. Oh, it's loving hot. Too hot? Not for me, I love it."

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Sexy Beast is a good movie.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I need to watch Sexy Beast. I love Glazer.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
On this rewatch, I'm really just not enjoying Jane. She annoys me and I don't find her sympathetic. Joanie's Island of Misfit Toys is the weakest part of the whole series. At least the theater troupe has Brian Cox hamming it up. At least Aunt Lou's stories often involve more Richardson, who I love.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Jane can be annoying but I think she has some sympathetic moments. Like when she reveals that one guy that was into her thought she was a man and everyone else just said "Wow, that sucks. Anyway.."

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I still have the emails from Netflix about Deadwood when I watched it on DVD the first and only other time. Records show that I watched the whole series one mailed out disc at a time, five discs a season, between 8/30 and 10/30 back in 2007. I hope nobody ever forgets what an absolute miracle it is to be able to just hit the "next episode" button.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

On this rewatch, I'm really just not enjoying Jane. She annoys me and I don't find her sympathetic. Joanie's Island of Misfit Toys is the weakest part of the whole series. At least the theater troupe has Brian Cox hamming it up. At least Aunt Lou's stories often involve more Richardson, who I love.

I don't think the Third Season is really close to being the masterpieces that Seasons 1 + 2 are, especially when taken as a whole. I'm not saying that season 3 isn't great, fantastic television, because it is. It's still better than a tremendous amount of other shows that don't hold a candle to it, but it's inevitably a letdown after season 2. But by the very same token, I think almost ANY season of television from any show, ever, would be a letdown after something the quality of Deadwood Season 2.

I really don't quite think it can really be overstated just how perfect that season really is. There's not a boring moment or a wasted breath or line. And I definitely think the final episode of the season is the best episode, which probably makes it the single best episode of television ever produced. It's funny - I almost feel like Season 3 is like more of a sequel to that SINGLE episode, rather than the entire series. It kinda feels like Milch just looked at that episode and it was just SO loving rich with narrative that he could just make a whole entire season filling in the blanks created by that episode, and that's really kinda what he did - with a few exceptions, like making Hearst downright demonic instead of just utterly mercenary, the actors showing up, Aunt Lou and her son - a few things like that. But otherwise, it all flows out of the way that the season 2 finale simultaneously wrapped up each and every last plotline while also leaving it all gloriously open-ended with possibility.

I know we all like the season 3 finale for its understated beauty, but I'm pretty sure we all loving LOVE the season 2 finale. This last rewatch has really driven home just how much I do kinda wish it had ended there, much as I enjoy the hell out of season 3.

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I still have the emails from Netflix about Deadwood when I watched it on DVD the first and only other time. Records show that I watched the whole series one mailed out disc at a time, five discs a season, between 8/30 and 10/30 back in 2007. I hope nobody ever forgets what an absolute miracle it is to be able to just hit the "next episode" button.

OK, you're making me feel a bit old because when I was growing up, you had to either freaking record stuff with your VCR (or in my case your BetaMax player!) off TV if you were going to miss an episode of a show you loved - like say The X-Files, and you'd have to deal with stuff like your brother not realizing it and changing the channel halfway through to watch professional wrestling or some poo poo. And that was it, you were screwed and would never see that episode again except maybe someday in syndication and you might NEVER find out how it ended...

It's pretty mindblowing to me that Twin Peaks ever existed in the first place. I really don't think most people understand at all how much the entire ouevre of modern drama television is built almost entirely on the shoulders of Mark Frost and David Lynch for doing that one goddamn show. The fact that it holds up still to this day is pretty remarkable, too. People forget just how much a show like even The Sopranos owed to Twin Peaks, in many ways - I'd almost bet money that it was pitched as "The Godfather series meets Twin Peaks" or something very similar in at least 1 significant meeting.

kaworu fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Dec 8, 2018

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
relevant:
https://twitter.com/Bro_Pair/status/1071208240292147200

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Frank and beans, cocksucker.

Suxpool
Nov 20, 2002
I want something good to die for...to make it beautiful to live
I love season 3 because even though the idea was introduced in Season 2 when he kicks the gently caress out of Wolcott, it's cemented in the way he deals with Hearst and the Pinkertons later on.

Charlie Utter is maybe the baddest dude to ever grace the camp of Deadwood. "You'll be eating your spuds running til I hunt you the gently caress down." God drat that's cold.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Oh! Let's post our favorite quotes!

I've always been partial to:

Seth: Swearengen said the county commissioners are all from Yankton.
Sol: When?
Seth: Just before we hit the mud. It's wrong the hills get no representation.
Sol: Even in an Eden like this, wrongs sometimes occur.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

The whole show is my favorite quote, jeez.

"Send her up when she arrives."
"Yes sir, uhm, I will, vigorously and immediately, and --"
"JUST SEND HER THE gently caress UP"

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Something Tolliver says is probably the most horrible thing anyone says on the show. Can't remember it verbatim but something like "a woman is good for nothing lest she has maggots in her eyes."

I remember wincing hearing that. Cy really was a loving devil.

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf
No question about it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t0r9BGpCMzc

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

One of the things I loved was how they made such a distinction between Tolliver and Swearengen. Swearengen was so much more aboveboard and obviously criminal, but he really wasn't that bad a guy in comparison. Sure, everyone knew if you crossed him he might have his boys kill you and feed you to the pigs, or he might try to con you out of a sweet mining stake, and he didn't have the most progressive take on women's rights, but in the end he just wanted to make money selling pussy and running tables and keep everyone else out of his business. Cy ran the upscale whorehouse, though, so he wasn't ever as blatantly murderous as Swearengen, but he was so much more sadistic and vicious deep down.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Al definitely cared about people in the camp. He kept Jewel around because he knew she wouldn't make it in the real world, and he mercy killed the reverend. Cy found out his friend was sick and just threw him in the woods to die.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Al was also always looking forward for the good of the camp (as it aligned with his self interests). It would have been easy to keep making what he was making in a lawless town, but he was willing to go the harder route and push for law, govt, and legitimacy over some canned loving peaches.

I think Cy would have been happy to stay the upscale whorehouse in an unincorporated territory with no rules.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
Al also killed an innocent woman to save Trixie's life, so it's not like he was all silver-lining. :shrug:

Tolliver was just a sadist, though...he murdered the poo poo out of Kristen Bell. :stonkhat:

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Al also killed an innocent woman to save Trixie's life, so it's not like he was all silver-lining. :shrug:

Tolliver was just a sadist, though...he murdered the poo poo out of Kristen Bell. :stonkhat:

Cy is my least favourite character in the show, same way i feel about Walter White. There is nothing redeeming about him/them.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I always got the impression, whether this was true or not, that Swearingen was meant to be the antagonist of the show, but Ian was so loving likable even as a murderous rear end in a top hat that they had to invent Tolliver so we'd have somebody irredeemably worse than Al in play and we could go with the antihero schtick that's gold on camera and poison for society.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Al was doing what he needed to do to keep the camp in survival - he has a sort of abrasive approach (the *sigh* "god dammit" approach) to doing lovely things because he wishes he didn't need to do them. If it were up to him, he'd just be loving whores and drinking whiskey all day, but he sees himself as doing necessary evils to keep everything as peaceful as it can be. Again, that is not saying he is a good person, but he has ulterior motives which are rooted in his actual caring about the state of the camp and the people in it.

Cy is just a total loving soulless bastard who spouts about his hatred for people all throughout the show. Only he's emotional and short-sighted and is incapable of playing much of a long con.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
He wasn't even able to run a short con. And he became subservient as soon as someone more powerful (Hearst) showed up.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

It's a perfect representation of a classic problem of moral philosophy. If you were in his position, do you really think you would be 100% dispassionate and sacrifice someone who is very close to him who everyone knows in the camp or a total stranger? We would all do this given the option. We would all kill a stranger instead of our significant other or parent or brother or best friend if it had to be one of the two with no other option.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

fawning deference posted:

Al was doing what he needed to do to keep the camp in survival - he has a sort of abrasive approach (the *sigh* "god dammit" approach) to doing lovely things because he wishes he didn't need to do them. If it were up to him, he'd just be loving whores and drinking whiskey all day, but he sees himself as doing necessary evils to keep everything as peaceful as it can be. Again, that is not saying he is a good person, but he has ulterior motives which are rooted in his actual caring about the state of the camp and the people in it.
He had a little girl's family killed in the pilot, dude. And if memory serves, she was supposed to die too.

Again, I love characters like Al, and Al specifically especially, but decades of television portraying geniuses as assholes have convinced every rear end in a top hat who watches TV that they're a fuckin' genius. Call it the Rick and Morty effect.

Similarly, murderers and other unforgivable people with good intentions are enshrined above actual good people, because people who suck want to believe that they're only terrible for the general good.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

It's a perfect representation of a classic problem of moral philosophy. If you were in his position, do you really think you would be 100% dispassionate and sacrifice someone who is very close to him who everyone knows in the camp or a total stranger? We would all do this given the option. We would all kill a stranger instead of our significant other or parent or brother or best friend if it had to be one of the two with no other option.

It's not quite the analogy you're looking for, because it wasn't like Hearst was saying "Either give me Trixie or give me some other random blonde girl." I'm sure I'd pick the random girl in that situation, sure. It's quite a bit more evil to hear Hearst wants to kill Trixie and think "Hey, that new girl that has nothing to do with it? She looks a bit like Trixie. Let's go kill her and hope Hearst can't tell the difference."

e: I meant Swearengen was not a bad guy in comparison to Tolliver, by the way. He's still a con man and pimp and a cold pragmatical bastard who'd kill you if he thought there was money in it and he could get away with it.

Phenotype fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Dec 15, 2018

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Did he have the girl's family killed? Even in private it seemed like he wanted to know who did it.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

It wasn't a stranger, iirc, it was one of the girls working for him, and tbf Trixie deserved to pay the price for what she did rather than someone innocent of the crime.

Tolliver is literally the devil, but Al isn't a good guy either.

Cojawfee posted:

Did he have the girl's family killed? Even in private it seemed like he wanted to know who did it.

His goons did it and he chided them for getting caught, not the deed itself. Something along the lines of 'no witnesses next time.' Everyone was worried he would have the girl killed, and he nearly did.
:shrug:

One of the rewatchers will remember better...

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

LividLiquid posted:

He had a little girl's family killed in the pilot, dude. And if memory serves, she was supposed to die too.

Again, I love characters like Al, and Al specifically especially, but decades of television portraying geniuses as assholes have convinced every rear end in a top hat who watches TV that they're a fuckin' genius. Call it the Rick and Morty effect.

Similarly, murderers and other unforgivable people with good intentions are enshrined above actual good people, because people who suck want to believe that they're only terrible for the general good.

I think we are talking past each other. My point is not that Al does good things or is a good person. Neither are true. It is more of a focus on Al's moral compass and intent. You can see that he mainly does things for a reason that he feels is above himself. People like Tolliver don't really have a rhyme or reason, it's just hatred.

Many people see the world as good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. In my opinion, nearly all people are just people with a dual nature and their own moral conceptions who sometimes do good things and sometimes do bad things, and who often do bad things despite good intentions. An action can be horrific but could still come from a person who actually believes they are doing good, and it can also be that it is the least bad option available out of a bunch of bad options.

In a lawless land that is ruthless to people who appear to be weak and overall ruthless in terms of the violence and disease and warfare and living conditions of most people, your incentives are different than they are now in safely regulated societies where you would have everything to lose.

I think the good people vs. bad people mentality shapes a lot of people's worldviews and I think it is incredibly flawed and lacks an understanding that we are all far more capable of being brought to a terrible transgression than we would like to think and ought to show more humility about it.

To end: no, Al is NOT a good person, and I totally agree that TV and film has made deplorable people "likeable" and it is a problem. I was just making the point that Al was driven by what he felt he needed to do and had a clear moral compass, whether or not you agreed with the compass. Cy was a rarer breed of man because he just seethed with hatred and didn't seem to give a gently caress about upholding any sort of moral code.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

It wasn't a stranger, iirc, it was one of the girls working for him, and tbf Trixie deserved to pay the price for what she did rather than someone innocent of the crime.

Well, I suppose a rewatch would do me well. If that's the case, that is much worse than what I had thought, but still doesn't detain my argument. I'm not arguing whatsoever that Al is a good person or has not done despicable things.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Cojawfee posted:

Yeah I don't remember Al having her family killed at all.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
He didn’t have them killed, but them that did the killin worked for him.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
The guy played by Nick Offerman I think was just doing road agent stuff on his own without Al knowing. That's why Al had them all killed, and then offered money for an Indian head to calm everyone down. Also, I didn't realize until later that when bullock was attacked by that native and killed him. The pyre they put him on was the one for the native whose head was brought into camp.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Cojawfee posted:

The guy played by Nick Offerman I think was just doing road agent stuff on his own without Al knowing. That's why Al had them all killed, and then offered money for an Indian head to calm everyone down. Also, I didn't realize until later that when bullock was attacked by that native and killed him. The pyre they put him on was the one for the native whose head was brought into camp.

It’s one of the reasons Bullock feels extra guilty for killing the guy: not only was he just trying to bury his friend, but Seth set in motion the events which led to both of their deaths...
:smith:

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I think we are talking past each other.
Understood.

I loves me some Al, but gently caress if it ain't hard to watch characters like him on TV now, knowing the effect it's had.

Archie Bunker never played on Nick at Night when I was watching it, so I've never seen All in the Family, but I'd wager a lot of folks feel the same way about him as I do about Al Bundy.

It's not that we were smart enough to understand satire and aren't now, or knew that portraying a thing isn't condoning that thing, as a culture. It's that we were never as smart as we thought we were.

Hence, y'know, Youtube turning people into Nazis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Cojawfee posted:

Oh God, now I remember Nick Offerman clutching his penis.