Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
Yeah, the biggest issue with Insurgence's writing is just that it doesn't have a trained professional touching it up, basically. And for a free fangame that's not something that really upsets me too much. :v:

Some Numbers posted:

Having characters attempt suicide is ~mature storytelling~

It's extra mature when they're gengars later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

And then there’s trainers commanding their Pokemon to commit outright murder against other humans.

mastersord
Feb 15, 2001

Gold Card Putty Fan Club
Member Since 2017!
Soiled Meat

Regalingualius posted:

And then there’s trainers commanding their Pokemon to commit outright murder against other humans.

Although it's tonally wrong for Pokemon, it makes sense in other realities. Think about how Pokemon are basically living magical weapons who act as pets. Pokemon the series barely even touches upon all the moral problems this poses. I think there was a Penny Arcade strip that touched on what could happen if the military discovered how to use Pokemon in real wars. It's kinda ridiculous but it is aimed at kids.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Regalingualius posted:

Well in Pokemon Adventures it is a regular tactic of the villains to try and attack or at least endanger their opponent.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Also that time Ghetsis tries to kill the player in Black 2/White 2.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Regalingualius posted:

I'd argue a good editor would solve these problems too. The writer knows what idea they're going for they just don't know how to raise stakes in a non edgy way.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

He tries to freeze the player, it's clearly non-lethal. Of course, that's because he wants the player alive to see him take over Kalos, not out of any genuine limits to his evil, but it's still consistent with Pokemon's usual mood even with one of the most evil villains the series has seen.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Confession time.
I unironically love this romhack and am so happy this LP is running parallel to the reborn LP for perspective.

Dybael
Jul 11, 2017
Hey, is there anyone playing alongside this LP or who has played this before with the story set to non-edgelord? I feel like the story in this mode is long stretches of okay punctuated by dumb edgy moments when the game remembers it billed itself as having a darker story. Does the Traditional story mode even this out any? Or does it just turn the plot into "long stretches of okay punctuated by slapdash censorship of edgy moments"?

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Blaze Dragon posted:

He tries to freeze the player, it's clearly non-lethal. Of course, that's because he wants the player alive to see him take over Kalos, not out of any genuine limits to his evil, but it's still consistent with Pokemon's usual mood even with one of the most evil villains the series has seen.

The official pokemon manga regularly has the villains trying to kill people with their pokemon.

Lyumia
Nov 7, 2018

Glutton for Punishment

I vaguely recall an episode where a wild Agron tried to attack whatever interchangeable pal Ash brought along, so it's not like Pokemon attacking humans with potentially fatal moves is unprecedented. Though it might be unfair to bing up the manga and anime because they can get away with more.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Dybael posted:

Hey, is there anyone playing alongside this LP or who has played this before with the story set to non-edgelord? I feel like the story in this mode is long stretches of okay punctuated by dumb edgy moments when the game remembers it billed itself as having a darker story. Does the Traditional story mode even this out any? Or does it just turn the plot into "long stretches of okay punctuated by slapdash censorship of edgy moments"?

That would be me. The big ones I recall are that the third gym leader didn’t die and the Hiker and his family weren’t buried.

The nursing home part was completely unchanged.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

mastersord posted:

Although it's tonally wrong for Pokemon, it makes sense in other realities. Think about how Pokemon are basically living magical weapons who act as pets. Pokemon the series barely even touches upon all the moral problems this poses. I think there was a Penny Arcade strip that touched on what could happen if the military discovered how to use Pokemon in real wars. It's kinda ridiculous but it is aimed at kids.

https://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2007/07/23/the-tournemon-part-one

Probably not a good idea to give the US military access to the god of time.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Some Numbers posted:

the Hiker and his family weren’t buried.

But Jaern went and immediately saved them following that anyway.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

But Jaern went and immediately saved them following that anyway.

In the non-edgy version, they weren’t in danger at all.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Lyumia posted:

I vaguely recall an episode where a wild Agron tried to attack whatever interchangeable pal Ash brought along, so it's not like Pokemon attacking humans with potentially fatal moves is unprecedented. Though it might be unfair to bing up the manga and anime because they can get away with more.

I mean, if we're talking about the anime, the hundreds upon hundreds of times Ash ordered his pokemon to electrocute and blow up Team Rocket, or the times Pikachu decided to do it on a whim. Or the times Ash is attacked by his own pokemon.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Didn't Lysandre try to murder everyone except the other crazy rich people that paid to join his little fashion-challenged cult with a giant, life-sucking laser gun?

Black Robe posted:

I mean, if we're talking about the anime, the hundreds upon hundreds of times Ash ordered his pokemon to electrocute and blow up Team Rocket, or the times Pikachu decided to do it on a whim. Or the times Ash is attacked by his own pokemon.

Yeah, but those are played mostly for laughs since Team Rocket and Ash are drat near indestructible. The evil teams do the same thing, but it's only treated seriously then or in movies.

Lyumia
Nov 7, 2018

Glutton for Punishment

Geostomp posted:

Didn't Lysandre try to murder everyone except the other crazy rich people that paid to join his little fashion-challenged cult with a giant, life-sucking laser gun?

I forget that the plot of X/Y sounds like something a rich person would actually do save for the life sucking laser gun.

Speaking of, Pokemon war is already canonical, ain't it?

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

Pokewar (PokeNam?) has been a thing since gen 1. Lt. Surge was in the war y'know.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

I love 90s depictions of Americans in Japanese media. Surge and Bandit Keith are hilarious.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Lyumia posted:

I forget that the plot of X/Y sounds like something a rich person would actually do save for the life sucking laser gun.

Speaking of, Pokemon war is already canonical, ain't it?

At least two wars that we know of. One of which was so bad that it actually split the timeline in two and created mega evolution.

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

Some Numbers posted:

I love 90s depictions of Americans in Japanese media. Surge and Bandit Keith are hilarious.

G Gundam's depictions of EVERY country were hilarious. So were Street Fighter's. Japan has some wild ideas about the rest of the world.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Geostomp posted:

At least two wars that we know of. One of which was so bad that it actually split the timeline in two and created mega evolution.

I’m sorry, but WHAT?!?

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I'm no Poke historian, but I think that's the "justification" for Mega Evolution appearing in ORAS?

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Some Numbers posted:

In the non-edgy version, they weren’t in danger at all.

I've been vaguely wondering what the non-edgy version changes are for a while now and if that cleans up the plot at all.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change

Geostomp posted:

To rub salt in the wound? From what I've heard, the Non-Mega Evolution timeline WAS INVADED BY THE ULTRA BEASTS OF GEN 7 so yea, everyone is probably fuckin dead in Gen 1-5.

Like Clockwork
Feb 17, 2012

It's only the Final Battle once all the players are ready.

Some Numbers posted:

I’m sorry, but WHAT?!?

RSE and ORAS/SuMo are alternate universes, also Anabel fell through a hole in space-time from RSE and is now a Ultra Beast magnet, and USUM is an alternate reality on top of that

The Pokemon metaplot is dumb :allears:

E: was that ^ a Rainbow Rocket reveal or

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Like Clockwork posted:

RSE and ORAS/SuMo are alternate universes, also Anabel fell through a hole in space-time from RSE and is now a Ultra Beast magnet, and USUM is an alternate reality on top of that

The Pokemon metaplot is dumb :allears:

Yes. Yes it is.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Like Clockwork posted:

E: was that ^ a Rainbow Rocket reveal or

I'm assuming that it was tied to the "Anabel is a Faller" thing. As well as the Looker that as in ORAS that never got expanded upon.

USUM completely cut out that sidequest and just had Team Rainbow Rocket as a bunch of AU evil team leaders that "succeeded" in their goals, only to have something bad happen to them (aside from Ghetsis, apparently) before they appeared with Giovanni.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

I'm glad it's canon that there are alternate universes where Team Aqua/Magma successfully completed their plans and then their dumb asses immediately died because of it.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I'm assuming that it was tied to the "Anabel is a Faller" thing. As well as the Looker that as in ORAS that never got expanded upon.

USUM completely cut out that sidequest and just had Team Rainbow Rocket as a bunch of AU evil team leaders that "succeeded" in their goals, only to have something bad happen to them (aside from Ghetsis, apparently) before they appeared with Giovanni.

USUM's whole ultra-space diving thing for legendaries gives you a bunch of creepy areas that are implied to be destroyed versions of regions, too. In particular, you find Guzzlord in a creepypasta mirror of one of the Alola towns.

Pokemon has always had edgy poo poo in the margins, going from Lavender Town's "woah hey pokemon actually die and you might have killed Gary's rattata" all the way to the kind of poo poo you see in Colosseum/XD. The difference is, Pokemon has actual editors and a writing process so they refine and tweak the ideas until it's either fitting with the series tone or, in the case of the Adventures manga, so wildly off the loving wall that it's just basically a fever dream at all points.

Sword_of_Dusk
Sep 30, 2018

Legendary Luminary
I recently learned that the anime just had Ash dropped off into some alternate universe where Alola was destroyed by Guzzlord. He met some dude named Dia, who many think is the Red of that universe, and where it goes from here is unknown.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

KataraniSword posted:

USUM's whole ultra-space diving thing for legendaries gives you a bunch of creepy areas that are implied to be destroyed versions of regions, too. In particular, you find Guzzlord in a creepypasta mirror of one of the Alola towns.

Oh. I never bothered with Ultra Space given that I already had all of the Pokemon by the time USUM came out. :v:

KataraniSword posted:

"woah hey pokemon actually die and you might have killed Gary's rattata"

:argh:

I'm just going to copy-paste a YouTube comment I made a good while back.

quote:

I really hate that theory, because it's needlessly edgy. Pokémon Red/Green/Blue is not this grimdark world where you go around offing people's Pokémon like it's a Nuzlocke.

As he says during his Championship match, "While working on my Pokédex, I looked all over for Pokémon. Not only that, I assembled teams that would beat any Pokémon type." He keeps Pidgeot, which is Normal/Flying. Being a Normal-type, it already covers the same stuff Raticate does with the added benefit of an extra typing and evolving once more, so he retires the latter to his box. Or maybe he released it.

Then there's the fact that in later games in the series, Blue uses multiple Pokémon. His Gym Leader team doesn't have his Starter like his Champion Team did. He also replaces Pidgeot and Rhydon with Heracross and Tyranitar in FR/LG. Switching out team members is just what Blue does.

And in case that's not enough, the dialogue surrounding Lavender Town's encounter isn't even hostile as if the player killed his Pokémon.

"Hey, <player>! What brings you here? Your Pokémon don't look dead! I can at least make them faint! Let's go, pal!"

"What? You stinker!" I took it easy on you too!"

"How's your Pokédex coming, pal? I just caught a Cubone! I can't find the grown-up Marowak yet! I doubt there are any left! Well I better get going! I've got a lot to accomplish, pal! Smell ya later!"

As a note, he doesn't have that Marowak on any of his teams either.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

:argh:

I'm just going to copy-paste a YouTube comment I made a good while back.

As a note, he doesn't have that Marowak on any of his teams either.

Thank you. The 'you killed Blue's Rattata' theory is just as awful to me as the ridiculous 'Ash is in a coma' theory for the anime.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Vandar posted:

Thank you. The 'you killed Blue's Rattata' theory is just as awful to me as the ridiculous 'Ash is in a coma' theory for the anime.

I’m sorry but I love that theory because it’s so absurd.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I kinda wanna hear the Ash is in a coma theory but I'm also terrified of what will come up if I Google it

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Vandar posted:

At least that one isn't said seriously, people genuinely believe you killed Blue's Rattata despite having absolutely no proof for it beyond Blue (who, as said, wants to build a perfect team and is clearly someone who genuinely tries hard to have strong Pokemon) not using the early game shitmon anymore. Since, apparently, only the player ever gets to switch their Pokemon without having something bad happen to them.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Kemix posted:

To rub salt in the wound? From what I've heard, the Non-Mega Evolution timeline WAS INVADED BY THE ULTRA BEASTS OF GEN 7 so yea, everyone is probably fuckin dead in Gen 1-5.

There is nothing to imply this beyond Anabelle vaguely recalling defending the battle tower. You know the thing easily construed as her job?

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

I kinda wanna hear the Ash is in a coma theory but I'm also terrified of what will come up if I Google it

"After the first episode where Ash got mauled by Spearows and struck by lightning, he went into a coma and is dreaming, and that's why he never ages and all the nurses and police are the same person."

"Character is actually in a coma/hallucinating on their death bed/dead in purgatory" is the go to concept for converting something into a creepypasta.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

Some Numbers posted:

From the early 00s, but:

Yakitate Japan's Kid is basically the bastard child of Brad Pitt and Bill Clinton and is the best America stereotype character ever.