Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
maybe you should have said that instead of nori which is weeb for seaweed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I thought it was called nori

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

aardwolf posted:

So, to recap: people should spell these things the way they pronounce them, unless it's "hun" in which case they shouldn't? I get that this isn't the rational pet peeve thread but that still seems weird to me.
No, they should spell them the way they're meant to be spelled. "mom" is correct in America, "mum" is correct elsewhere.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

horse, the weeb word for mammals

aardwolf
Apr 27, 2013

Tiggum posted:

No, they should spell them the way they're meant to be spelled.

But I am spelling "hun" the way I mean it to be spelled!

quote:

"mom" is correct in America, "mum" is correct elsewhere.

So it therefore follows that a person from the commonwealth who dares to say "mum" in America is incorrectly using language? And a person from the US who says "mom" in the UK is incorrect?

Let's consider the scenario of a New Zealand user who types "mum" when making a Facebook post. I assume you agree it is fine and correct when their mates in Dunedin read it - but do they also commit a faux pas should his or her message be viewed by friend in Flagstaff, Arizona?

Honestly, I find this all a little confusing. Since you apparently know how everything is meant to be correctly spelled, would you mind explaining for simple folk like me how all of this was determined? Was there some meeting or vote that I missed? A few simple guidelines on how I can tell if a spelling is objectively Correct™ depending on the location and nationality of the speaker would be most helpful.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Let it go

aardwolf
Apr 27, 2013
Shan't. :colbert:

Edit: I'm sorry Elsa, but I'm not going to let Mulan here defeat the hun.

aardwolf has a new favorite as of 06:32 on Dec 15, 2018

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Tiggum posted:

I'm talking about writing it on Facebook so it's the spelling.

I think Americans should use "mom" and everyone else should use "mum".

People from the Black Country in the UK say "mom" and in South Wales or Newcastle, they say "mam".

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

People who play loud music at their office desk. Someone at my job got really offended that people aren't into "Baby It's Cold Outside", and now has to play that on repeat so half the office has to hear it most of their workday. Maybe working retail broke me in terms of liking Christmas music, but I don't think I've turned on disliking a song faster.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

bobjr posted:

People who play loud music at their office desk. Someone at my job got really offended that people aren't into "Baby It's Cold Outside", and now has to play that on repeat so half the office has to hear it most of their workday. Maybe working retail broke me in terms of liking Christmas music, but I don't think I've turned on disliking a song faster.

How has the rest of the office not murdered that person?

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Andrast posted:

How has the rest of the office not murdered that person?

There was a general "We don't want to be political, so respect people and their holiday traditions" email sent out, and that person could be using it as a cover, but they've also said it's their favorite song ever.

Also a lot of other people in the office listen to their own music in headphones and the person has a decent amount of seniority, but I'm probably in a weird minority in that I can't listen to music and work to my best, so it could be just distracting to me more than anyone else in the office.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

bobjr posted:

There was a general "We don't want to be political, so respect people and their holiday traditions" email sent out, and that person could be using it as a cover, but they've also said it's their favorite song ever.

Also a lot of other people in the office listen to their own music in headphones and the person has a decent amount of seniority, but I'm probably in a weird minority in that I can't listen to music and work to my best, so it could be just distracting to me more than anyone else in the office.

America needs to get a better office culture because that would definitely be grounds for murder in Finland

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
Yeah, putting a song on repeat so the rest of the office can hear it is a terrible thing no matter what song it is. What they pipe through their own headphones is their own business but I don't think there's any song that wouldn't get hated after enough repeats.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Brawnfire posted:

I've been noticing pages with narrow bars of text ads, but if you stop with one of them on the screen they'll slowly grow and add graphics until they're a full ad.
I was reading some old Douglas Adams articles the other day, and one - from the mid-late 90s - was about how good he thought online ads were. He felt big colourful ads in magazines were terribly distracting, but online they were discrete, you could click through on them to get actually relevant information, and the advertisers would get metrics on their ads so even if there was a bad ad it would show up less over time from measured lack of acceptance.

Oh Douglas. You were too optimistic for this world.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

bobjr posted:

Considering the controversy you just this person has to be doing it to "trigger the snowflakes" I don't know anyone who gave a poo poo about the song before this year.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

yeah I eat rear end posted:

Don't call me that either. There's no way you can say it, at least in the US, without it coming across as incredibly condescending. Maybe it's just me but when someone says it to me I internally react the same way as if someone I don't know calls me "pal/friend/buddy", which is impotent rage.

“Bro” gets made fun of but I honestly feel like, coming from a person my own age, it’s infinitely more respectful than “buddy” or similar.

Also canadians don’t and shouldn’t say mum. Only teaboo sherwhovians say mum. Another peeve is when people treat canadian english as identical to UK english and not its own bastard thing.

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 13:26 on Dec 15, 2018

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Eh, it all depends on the tone and context

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

“Bro” gets made fun of but I honestly feel like, coming from a person my own age, it’s infinitely more respectful than “buddy” or similar.

Also canadians don’t and shouldn’t say mum. Only teaboo sherwhovians say mum. Another peeve is when people treat canadian english as identical to UK english and not its own bastard thing.

yeah bro is better to me too for some reason.

also agreed on mum and other british/australianisms from americans. You can talk about your mum and your cheeky tea and chips all you want, but you sound like a tool.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

My son calls me "Mum," but that's because his father is a Kiwi who calls his mom "Mum." It's handy to be able to say "Mum called" or "Mom called" and know whose mother called.

Enemabag Jones
Mar 24, 2015

The last four hotels I've stayed at have no bathroom fan. I'm pooping right now and this hotel doesn't have one, either. I just want to be considerate, dammit, if you wanna make cuts so bad, just ditch the two $15 bottles of Fiji no one's ever gonna touch.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
I've noticed that too. Honestly seems like the vast majority of hotels have no fan.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

aardwolf posted:

A few simple guidelines on how I can tell if a spelling is objectively Correct™ depending on the location and nationality of the speaker would be most helpful.
If there's a little red line underneath it, you're doing it wrong.

Hirayuki posted:

My son calls me "Mum," but that's because his father is a Kiwi who calls his mom "Mum." It's handy to be able to say "Mum called" or "Mom called" and know whose mother called.
Well, it should only be your own mother you're referring to as "mum" or "mom" anyway.

And if you're talking about them in the third person you should say "my mother", "your mother", "their mother", etc.. :colbert:

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
It’s starting irk me how many shows are filmed in Vancouver now, just because Vancouver and the PNW in general are really bad at masquerading as anywhere else. Sometimes it’s unobtrusive but sometimes you get “Chicago” with mountains in the background.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Stargate sg-1 is a pretty big offender on that. Pretty much every new planet is just "the woods in the northwest".

Thursday Next
Jan 11, 2004

FUCK THE ISLE OF APPLES. FUCK THEM IN THEIR STUPID ASSES.
Pet peeve: I’m losing a bunch of weight. I need to eat very, very few calories in order to continue losing weight. I am not losing weight too quickly, or in an unsafe manner. Yet every armchair CICO adherent screams at me that I should be “eating more”.

I’m over 40, female, and have a mom and dad that are both built heavy (short and stocky). I gain weight on anything more than about 800 calories per day. I’ve tried to lose weight on the “recommended” 1400-1600 daily intake for years and been stymied. Now that I’m finally eating 600-800 calories per day, I’m losing about 2 lbs per week.

Yes, I know your precious CICO formula says I “should” be losing just fine at 1400 per day. I don’t. Stop telling me to eat more. I have a metabolism that can cheerfully carry me along just fine with 250 calories a day. I’m still 30 pounds overweight, so get off my nuts about being unhealthily restrictive. Everyone’s body is different. Mine simply doesn’t like to burn calories. I’ve found a method that works after years of struggling. gently caress off.

And yes I do hours of exercise a day, too. My calories out is just a low number.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Honestly, I might try that. I'm in the same boat, and 1200 calories is getting me nowhere. I've been tested and supposedly need 1700 to live and burn 2100 a day, so the math should add up, but :shrug: I'm mostly afraid that my metabolism will get used to eating only 800 calories and seize up again. Then what?

Diet-related peeve: Any person, magazine, or TV show that offers advice like "Switch to sugar-free drinks!" "Take the stairs!" or "Park further out in the lot and walk in!" as huge weight-loss tricks.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

They can add up over weeks or a month. Doctors no longer say that you need to work out an hour in a row. You're allowed to spread it out.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

I've known a lot of people that do that "medifast" style diet where they only eat 800ish calories a day. It worked until they got to their target weight and they switched back to eating real food, but they were so miserable from actually starving themselves that they really overdid it and ended up fatter than they started. Fasting works, but you can't do it forever and when you stop you'll be back to where you started or worse.

Doesn't mean you shouldn't do what you are doing, but it's something to be mindful of.

Thursday Next
Jan 11, 2004

I've known a lot of people that do that "medifast" style diet where they only eat 800ish calories a day. It worked until they got to their target weight and they switched back to eating real food, but they were so miserable from actually starving themselves that they really overdid it and ended up fatter than they started. Fasting works, but you can't do it forever and when you stop you'll be back to where you started or worse.

Doesn't mean you shouldn't do what you are doing, but it's something to be mindful of.

Here we go

I’m not “fasting,” I am eating the appropriate number of calories for my CO part of the CICO formula. It is unfortunately a low number. I would love to be able to lose 1-2 lbs per week on 1400. I don’t. I tried for literal years to do so on 1400, 1200, and 1100.

Once you’ve been fat, yeah, you’re boned on metabolism forever pretty much. I will never be able to eat “normal” amounts again, as long as I live. There’s simply no way around that. I’m only losing 1-2lbs per week; this is a healthy speed. It’s the healthiest it’ll be. Studies show that four major things can gently caress up your metabolism forever:

1. Being female
2. Being over 40
3. Having fat parents
4. Having been fat ever in your life

Since I hit all four, I’m unfortunately just boned on metabolism. It’s kind of cool to know that I’d likely live through a zombie alocolypse since, hey, I can live on three carrots and an apple per day :).

So, being boned, I can make a choice: eat the correct number of calories per day for a healthy weight for me (6-800), or whine about being fat and unhealthy while still scarfing 1400 calories a day. I choose to stop bitching and deal with the fact that it’s going to be harder for me to lose weight than the internet hivemind “thinks it should”.

And I’m sorry about your friend but your post also reveals a pretty important insight: you talk about “stopping”. There isn’t any “stopping”. I don’t get to diet and then go back to eating too much; of course I will gain weight! I am making a lifestyle change to eat the appropriate number of calories for my metabolic needs. It is a lifetime change.

I don’t mean to come down hard on you necessarily, I like your posts YTM, but your reply definitely hit that pet peeve button.

It’s pretty AUG (to give a nod to another PYF thread) that once someone is losing weight, they still can catch poo poo for not losing weight the way the internet thinks they should. Not aiming at you YTM but I’m general. It’s disheartening as gently caress.

Edit: and I am eating real food, not soylent or whatever crap meal replacement some people eat. I’m just eating way less of it. 3oz boneless skinless chicken breast with roasted broccoli is a better dinner for me than 12oz steak with mashed potatoes and glazed carrots, etc.

Thursday Next has a new favorite as of 02:57 on Dec 16, 2018

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

I was using medifast's terminology, not talking about you personally really. For the majority of people, you will lose weight on their ~800 calorie a day diets, but it's not sustainable for people who need more calories than that. That was my only point. I hate the company personally because for people without metabolic issues, you are paying out the rear end to starve yourself, which you could do on your own for free. If you do have metabolic issues, then what I said doesn't apply. Sorry if you thought I was attacking you personally.

Thursday Next
Jan 11, 2004

I was using medifast's terminology, not talking about you personally really. For the majority of people, you will lose weight on their ~800 calorie a day diets, but it's not sustainable for people who need more calories than that. That was my only point. I hate the company personally because for people without metabolic issues, you are paying out the rear end to starve yourself, which you could do on your own for free. If you do have metabolic issues, then what I said doesn't apply. Sorry if you thought I was attacking you personally.

Nah you’re great and I like your posts.

It’s just my pet peeve here: I’m finally losing real amounts of weight but I have to be quiet about how I’m doing it because loads of people jump in with (well-intentioned, or not so well-intentioned) “BUT ACTUALLY” all the time. So in person I’ve learned to just claim in eating 1400 per day with minimal exercise, and I keep quietly losing my 1-2 lbs per week.

:unsmith:

Edit: and we totally agree that meal-replacement stuff is expensive bunk. Eat less, move more. Figure out what that means for your body. Understand you are making a lifetime-level change and there is no “stopping”.

Thursday Next has a new favorite as of 03:06 on Dec 16, 2018

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

I'm Shannon and I'm the biggest Idiot Ever!

If you're not using a food scale and weighing everything you eat in weight not volume there's v little chance you're actually eating 600-800 kcal a day and if you only have 30lb to lose trying to do it in 15 weeks is stupid. 2lb a week is for the obese.

Go to the weightloss challenge thread, I'm the current OP even though I don't post there anymore because heyo I developed some sort of weird food anxiety disorder but everyone there is hella good and has great info. Have fun. Don't be miserable, there's no need.

Edit: oh hey a peeve is that I know how to lose weight, I've done it v successfully but my brain is currently such that previous methods make me binge eat and feel anxious all the time now. So thanks broke brain, you spoiled yet another thing.

teenytinymouse has a new favorite as of 03:12 on Dec 16, 2018

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Thursday Next posted:

Nah you’re great and I like your posts.

I do too!

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Wait, sorry I thought you were someone else. Disregard.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

It’s starting irk me how many shows are filmed in Vancouver now, just because Vancouver and the PNW in general are really bad at masquerading as anywhere else. Sometimes it’s unobtrusive but sometimes you get “Chicago” with mountains in the background.

Similar to this it annoys me how often Canadian shows filming in Vancouver or Toronto will always, always set their story in one of the big american cities even when it doesnt need to be. I can think of ONE canadian show I've seen recently that took place in canada. Not every show has to take place in New York things happen in Canada too.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

How is it possible for stray cats to be so drat picky. I've been feeding one at night for the past week and it absolutely refuses to eat canned cat food. The ONLY things it will eat are dried cat food or canned tuna meant for humans. Eat whatever I offer you, you fat fluffy gently caress.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Thursday Next posted:

I don’t mean to come down hard on you necessarily, I like your posts YTM, but your reply definitely hit that pet peeve button.

It’s pretty AUG (to give a nod to another PYF thread) that once someone is losing weight, they still can catch poo poo for not losing weight the way the internet thinks they should. Not aiming at you YTM but I’m general. It’s disheartening as gently caress.

Hey, I'm on your side here.

aardwolf
Apr 27, 2013

Tiggum posted:

If there's a little red line underneath it, you're doing it wrong.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

YeahTubaMike posted:

Hey, I'm on your side here.

it's finally clear now, I couldn't believe anyone would say they like my posts, it's just absurd. The YTM thing confused me, but now I remember you are a poster and they must have mistaken me for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

So how many calories are in rear end?