Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Is it anathema to suggest Jane Espenson get the job, even though she's American? She has decades of well-received genre work and already collaborated on Torchwood.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Mameluke posted:

Is it anathema to suggest Jane Espenson get the job, even though she's American? She has decades of well-received genre work and already collaborated on Torchwood.

I believe she's working on Hulu's Wildcards series, so I don't think she's available.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Mameluke posted:

I always got the distinct impression that there would be riots if Doctor Who was handed to a creative team outside of the UK. Most of the flaws of the Doctor Who movies are attributed to the fact that american collaborators were involved, for example.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

I don't mind the idea of an American showrunner nearly as much as the the idea of an American Doctor, and people keep suggesting those...

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

I always got the distinct impression that there would be riots if Doctor Who was handed to a creative team outside of the UK. Most of the flaws of the Doctor Who movies are attributed to the fact that american collaborators were involved, for example.

Speaking of the movie, SFDebris did an episode on it, with some very interesting background details. I had no idea Steven Spielburg was attached at one point, for example. Or for that matter, Leonard Nimoy.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
I always put the movie's problems down to being structural/narrative, rather than having an American creative team, looking at it from the perspective of 2018 - although I imagine in 1996 it was probably at lot of "YANKS CAN'T DO WHO :mad: HALF-HUMAN DOCTOR KISSING! :argh:"

Like, as an episode bridge from the Classic series to the Revival, it's an okay episode that works, I guess - McGann is great, Roberts is great and there's some nice scenes and character moments. I do enjoy it - and it's probably the first Who media I ever watched - even if I was young enough and probably didn't realise what it was at the time.

As a pilot to introduce the show to a new American audience with zero context, it doesn't do a very good job. It tries to explain and introduce too many concepts in such a short run-time, while not explaining the important things enough, while also trying to do its own little story about time melting or something. It's too continuity heavy, while also wanting to be a break from Classic show, and structurely doesn't really work.

McGann doesn't show up until about 1/3rd of the way through the film, has amnesia for a bit, and then has to exposit his way through the rest of it.

To compare it with how they handle stuff in the revival, over the course of 13 episodes, the core conceit of the show is shown, and the concepts are drip-fed to the audience - there's a mystery around the Doctor - his TARDIS is explained, the Daleks are explained, the Time War and the Time Lords are explained, and Regeneration is explained.

To be fair that is over 8 or so hours compared to the 2 hour(?) film length, and the film is still a guilty pleasure, and it apparently did help RTD with a clear list of Do's/Don'ts with the Revival.

[e]:

Yvonmukluk posted:

Speaking of the movie, SFDebris did an episode on it, with some very interesting background details. I had no idea Steven Spielburg was attached at one point, for example. Or for that matter, Leonard Nimoy.

The conception of how the film came about, and the ideas passed around for a potential series are probably more interesting than the final result of the film itself. The Daleks being reimagined as pepperpots that could form into a spider shape, or the cybermen being Mad Max interspacial scavengers.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 11:20 on Dec 15, 2018

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Pesky Splinter posted:

has amnesia for a bit

Phew, lucky he got over that!

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

I always got the distinct impression that there would be riots if Doctor Who was handed to a creative team outside of the UK.

I don't think people would care that much. You know, I don't think you'd be getting hysterical Sun headlines going "QUEEN DENOUNCES YANKEE WHO" with a picture of the Queen looking grave or anything like that.

RTD always said one of the main influences on the revival was Buffy the Vampire Slayer and you can definitely see it.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Jerusalem posted:

Phew, lucky he got over that!

Amnesia, Charley, C'rizz, Lucie, Tamsin, Molly,: Friends, companions I've known, I salute you.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

This one really hurts, I'm such a huge fan of basically everything he's written :sigh:

You and me both buddy. Sad that someone so clearly talented turned out to be so reprehensible. :sigh:

Box of Bunnies posted:

Dylan Moran has apparently been doing some good poo poo in his standup, so I feel relatively guilt free about Black Books at least.

https://twitter.com/stef_wholemeal/status/1071145917103824896

That's awesome at least. :unsmith: I'm a straight white guy but I also firmly believe that people should be free to live how they choose provided they do no harm, so I'm glad to see Moran being on the right side of things here.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

I'm gonna write a story where the doctor has to rescue nicholas briggs from the daleks and the cybermen. he needs a lot of throat medicine after they escape

e: they can't talk for several episodes after

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

They might have a point, the show went completely off the rails when Sydney Newman, known Canadian, became involved (as Producer, no less!) and it's never recovered.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

TinTower posted:

Between Graham Linehan being busy forcing period poverty campaigners off twitter and getting police warnings for harassing women, and Gareth Roberts going all Nurse Who, Gattis in comparison isn’t the worst.

It was a real head turn watching him go from championing abortion rights to watching him say parents were allowing their children to get sex change operations.

King Plum the Nth
Oct 16, 2008

Jan 2018: I've been rereading my post history and realized that I can be a moronic bloviating asshole. FWIW, I apologize for most of everything I've ever written on the internet. In future, if I can't say something functional or funny, I won't say anything at all.

After The War posted:

They might have a point, the show went completely off the rails when Sydney Newman, known Canadian, became involved (as Producer, no less!) and it's never recovered.

OK, two points: Canadians are closer to being British than they are to being Americans. To an American it's lie they're basically just Brits with American accents. And how creatively involved was Newman? I kinda got the impression that Verity Lambert and others were the visionaries and Newman was the facilitator. I could be totally wrong though. I just really enjoyed the scene in An Adventure in Space and Time where he pacified Hartnell. Brian Cox played him like a real producers producer.

I've often wondered how an Irish Doctor would be received. Like, would that be an issue or would people take it in stride? As an American I don't like the idea of an American Who but my reasoning is kind of lame. It's mostly just "The Doctor should have an accent." Which, of course, in England (sometime Scotland) s/he doesn't. There are lots of great American actors, or some anyway, who could probably make interesting work of the role but it would just seem so strange.

OTOH, and American Master would seem pretty natural.

Dave Brookshaw
Jun 27, 2012

No Regrets
I just wish we'd had Whithouse instead of Chibbers. A series-full of God Complex / Under the Lake style complicated allegories would have gotten many things wrong, but I think it'dve been more entertaining than a series-full of The Power of Three.

The episodes might have had endings!

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

King Plum the Nth posted:

OTOH, and American Master would seem pretty natural.

I would sacrifice someone's firstborn to see Michael Emerson take a run at the Master.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

Box of Bunnies posted:

As bad as he got about Moffat and Neil Gaiman at the worst of his blog, at least he isn't "I as a cis gay man can get married now, so why are those trannies whinging about silly things like pronouns????" like Gatiss so I wouldn't even rate him as worst as a person for potential head writers.

Wait, has Gatiss said stuff like that? Because that sounds exactly like Gareth Roberts, who's an enormous arse about these things on social media. Gatiss always struck me as being a lot quieter.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Wolfechu posted:

Wait, has Gatiss said stuff like that? Because that sounds exactly like Gareth Roberts, who's an enormous arse about these things on social media. Gatiss always struck me as being a lot quieter.

The LoG haven't got a great track record. They even brought back Barbara for the live show this year as a way of doubling down.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

The_Doctor posted:

The LoG haven't got a great track record. They even brought back Barbara for the live show this year as a way of doubling down.

Ugh, OK. I mean, that character was the wrong side of funny in the 90s. I hadn't seen the new episodes, so I didn't realize they'd brought Barbara back just to be edgelords.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Wolfechu posted:

He's not Roberts level of things, but

https://www.sbs.com.au/topics/sexuality/fast-lane/article/2017/08/14/actor-mark-gatiss-says-lgbt-community-should-be-worried-about-isis-and-chechnya posted:

“What really gets me very worked up these days is that we are losing ourselves sometimes in tiny debates about personal pronouns when the world is on fire and ISIS is throwing people off buildings for being gay,” he says in the podcast.

“And they’re opening f***ing concentration camps in Chechnya. You know, we should be so lucky, we should wake up! And it is an inevitable result of success.

“We are bound together in adversity with a lot of strange bedfellows and the more success you have, the more you start to fall out within it, and start having rows about themselves, as opposed to the bigger picture!”

CityMidnightJunky
May 11, 2013

by Smythe

Box of Bunnies posted:

He's not Roberts level of things, but

He's right though.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Eh, I don't disagree with his sentiment ; that we're getting caught up in the small time bullshit but I disagree what he calls small time bullshit.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost
It is also possible to care about both the basic courtesy of calling someone by their correct name and widespread human rights abuses. There's not a limited amount of care in people that if you use it all up on one thing you don't have any left for anything else.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

docbeard posted:

I would sacrifice someone's firstborn to see Michael Emerson take a run at the Master.

I'm pretty sure that Ben Linus is actually another chameleon arched incarnation of the Master anyway. I keep thinking I want to rewatch Lost and then I remember that no, I just want a supercut of Linus and Locke's Big Adventure.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
There is already an American Doctor Who and it's called Legends of Tomorrow.

(Or Quantum Leap for us old timers...)

Anyways, I thought this season was decent and Whittaker was pretty amazing and hope they don't leave the BBC gets whatever stick is up their rear end removed.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Mooseontheloose posted:

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

That child looks so uncomfortable.

Well this series was alright but there’s only two or three episodes I’d go back to rewatch. There weren’t any awful episodes but there weren’t any amazing ones either. Hopefully the next series in four years time will be an improvement.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

CityMidnightJunky posted:

He's right though.

Sure, just like chuds that try to downplay feminism with "why are you complaining about the wage gap when women in the middle east..."

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

https://twitter.com/georgiaEtennant/status/1074325552906035200

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

"Because you know what? You were my light bulb changer."

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

This is still the weirdest thing to me. Imagine idolizing a man as a kid, taking the same role he once had when you’re an adult, marrying his daughter, and then giving him a grandkid. It could be the plot of a horror movie, like some kind of obsessive psycho fanboy long con just to buy time with him.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
That is proper skinny.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

Big Mean Jerk posted:

This is still the weirdest thing to me. Imagine idolizing a man as a kid, taking the same role he once had when you’re an adult, marrying his daughter, and then giving him a grandkid. It could be the plot of a horror movie, like some kind of obsessive psycho fanboy long con just to buy time with him.

Well, it's David Tennant, so you're probably close to the mark there.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

CityMidnightJunky posted:

He's right though.
Speaking as a trans person, kindly go gently caress all the way off with this take.

"Shut up and let the rest of us do the talking about the real issues, person consistently marginalized by society" is not the grand leadership you think it is.

This happens every time. The civil rights movement, the disabilities act, gay marriage. It's a weapon hateful people use to make fighting for a better future sound selfish, and people buy it every loving time it happens.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Mooseontheloose posted:

Anyways, I thought this season was decent and Whittaker was pretty amazing and hope they don't leave the BBC gets whatever stick is up their rear end removed.

My favourite part of Legends of Tomorrow is where one of the cast realises that season's Big Bad (voiced by John Noble) sounds like Denethor from Lord of the Rings (played by John Noble), so they go back in time and get John Noble to voice some lines for reasons I forget.

Also, in the same episode, Barack Obama gets attacked by a talking gorilla.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Big Mean Jerk posted:

like some kind of obsessive psycho fanboy long con just to buy time with him.

So, a reasonable and sensible plan?

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Jerusalem posted:

So, a reasonable and sensible plan?

Yes
\/

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

I really really miss that man.

CityMidnightJunky
May 11, 2013

by Smythe

LividLiquid posted:

Speaking as a trans person, kindly go gently caress all the way off with this take.

"Shut up and let the rest of us do the talking about the real issues, person consistently marginalized by society" is not the grand leadership you think it is.

This happens every time. The civil rights movement, the disabilities act, gay marriage. It's a weapon hateful people use to make fighting for a better future sound selfish, and people buy it every loving time it happens.

Just because your trans doesn't automatically make you right.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

LividLiquid posted: