Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hug in a Can
Aug 1, 2010

NICE FLAMINGO
kind heart
fierce mind
brave spirit

:h: be good and try hard! :h:

Tendai posted:

How do cockatiels survive in the wild. How is that a reasonable spot to lay an egg.

it's warm and she is always safe when she's with her owner :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer

Hug in a Can posted:

it's warm and she is always safe when she's with her owner :3:
Aw jeez :kimchi:

Interesting article about the study of how parrot genetics set them apart from other birds in a similar way that human genetics do from other primates

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/12/07/science/parrots-genes-longevity.html

quote:

The Genes That Make Parrots Into the Humans of the Bird World

By JoAnna Klein

Dec. 7, 2018

A macaw named Poncho starred in movies like “102 Dalmatians,” “Dr. Doolittle” and “Ace Ventura: Pet Detective” before retiring in England. She recently celebrated her 90th birthday.

Alex, an African grey parrot who lived to 31, knew colors, shapes and numbers, and communicated using basic expressions. He could do what toddlers only do after a certain stage of development — know when something is hidden from view.

And they’re just two of the many parrots in the world who have surprised us with their intelligence, skills and longevity.

“Nature does these experiments for us, and then we have to go and ask, how did this happen?” said Dr. Claudio Mello, a neuroscientist at Oregon Health and Science University.

So he and a team of nearly two dozen scientists looked for clues in the genome of the blue-fronted Amazon parrot in Brazil, his home country.

After comparing its genome with those of dozens of other birds, the researchers’ findings suggest that evolution may have made parrots something like the humans of the avian world.

In some ways, the long-lived feathered friends are as genetically different from other birds as humans are from other primates. Their analysis, published Thursday in Current Biology, also highlights how two very different animals — parrots and humans — can wind up finding similar solutions to problems through evolution.

A general rule of life span in birds and other animals is the bigger or heavier you are, the longer you live. A small bird like a finch may live five to eight years, while bigger ones like eagles or cranes can live decades. The blue-fronted Amazon and some other parrots are even more exceptional, in that they can live up to 66 years — in some cases outliving their human companions.

In their analysis, Dr. Mello and his colleagues found that these parrots and some other long-lived birds shared changes in a set of 344 genes that seem to be involved in various processes that influence life span, like how an animal’s body repairs DNA, manages cancer or controls cell growth.

While about 20 of these genetic changes have been implicated in aging in other animals, the rest of the genes’ direct role in life span has not been investigated. Future studies may reveal that they’re not just important to aging in parrots or other long-lived birds, but in other animals as well.

Parrots are distinguished not only by their longevity, but also by their cognitive abilities.

“They’re really, really smart animals, and the brains are particularly big. We seem to see a parallel in humans that have bigger brains and enhanced capacities, compared to other animals,” he said. “We think parrots are the parallel in the avian world.”

The team found changes in parts of the parrot genome remarkably similar to those that set humans apart from other primates.

This intrigued Dr. Mello. The similar changes found in parrots and humans aren’t to the genes themselves, but occur along regions of the genome that regulate the expression of nearby genes that seem to play a role in brain development and intelligence.

Could these changes explain the parrot’s large, complex brain and diverse set of talents?

Only by looking at specifics can we find out. While it’s relatively simpler to quantify age and see how various genetic changes might alter it, it’s harder to assess how tiny switches turning on and off at certain times might alter the size of a parrot’s brain — or how well it can impersonate Matthew McConaughey.

By looking at specifics in the genetic changes of parrots and humans, researchers in the future may develop a better understanding of the powers of convergent evolution.

Perhaps there is only one path that leads complex brain structures and advanced cognitive abilities like those of parrots and humans. Or it could be that there is more than one evolutionary route capable of producing such complex creatures in different parts of the animal kingdom.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Sometimes I come home from work (I'm a veterinary technician, for those not in the know) with scratches and/or soon-to-be-scars all over my hands or fingers. It's never anything serious -- usually just a dog that resisted its temperature being taken. But Amadeus is always very concerned and has to tend to all my injuries. :)

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Ama is a very good boy :3:

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

A+ :)

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
Crouton and Galbedir are enjoying nectarine season. They are forbidden from nibbling at the pits with leftover flesh obviously but they love nibbling at whole ones with the side cut off so they don't have to bite through the skin. Galbedir actually nibbles and takes little chunks off while Crouton pierces it with her beak and slurps the juice with her tongue like a lorikeet.

Cheese of all types is obviously evil and must be screamed at. Doubly so if you draw eyes on it to turn it into a Bird Frightening Device.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Please post pictures of them if you can that sounds adorable :3:

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Tendai posted:

Please post pictures of them if you can that sounds adorable :3:

:yeah:

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
Well, since Serra has been in full blown egg mode, this is about all she'll do if she sees the camera.

The only thing that changes that grumpus attitude?

Why ham, of course. Birb loves ham.

I also set this plate where I thought her clipped but couldn't get to it. She now likes hot sauce.

Can't you just eat the fruit and veg, you silly thing!?

yoshesque
Dec 19, 2010

The positive about Alfi’s disability is that we can take him for walks.

He spent his time yesterday flock calling to a pack of galahs, got swooped by a magpie and just screaming back at the juvenile galahs.

Good bird.

yoshesque fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Dec 10, 2018

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

what gorgeous birbs! Serra is so pretty, and Alfi is a handsome fella too!

Good birds :3:

DrakIris
Oct 15, 2009

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Sometimes I come home from work (I'm a veterinary technician, for those not in the know) with scratches and/or soon-to-be-scars all over my hands or fingers. It's never anything serious -- usually just a dog that resisted its temperature being taken. But Amadeus is always very concerned and has to tend to all my injuries. :)

The Best Boy... Beryl 'tends' to my cuts, and by that I mean she rips scabs off to drink at the sweet nectar within

Veritas
Aug 20, 2003
In 12 years, he's never done this. Usually he just wants to stand in the water and dip his beak, and then shake his head.

Had to clip his wings yesterday, he was getting kinda flighty, but kept having crash landings. Didn't want to risk him getting hurt. Man he looked so cool with long wing feathers.

Bonus thievery pic.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Just casually stealing a piece of bread as big as my torso :3:

Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

e: his mom is telling me she bought tiny office furniture for him so look forward to that i guess

I am completely slain by the cuteness here.

There are no words.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

Tendai posted:

How do cockatiels survive in the wild. How is that a reasonable spot to lay an egg.

I forgot to reply to this - For some reason this post has stuck in my head and cracked me up for days.

She managed to put the next egg in her cage. But she doesn't seem to understand sitting on them. She just beaks them around into a clump, then sits next to it with the angry eyes. :stare:

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9XLsDSxdMA

Ok that does it, I now enjoy winter again

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

Captain Log posted:

I forgot to reply to this - For some reason this post has stuck in my head and cracked me up for days.

She managed to put the next egg in her cage. But she doesn't seem to understand sitting on them. She just beaks them around into a clump, then sits next to it with the angry eyes. :stare:

Dunno about cockatiels, but chicken eggs can sit around indefinitely before incubation starts. That way, the hen can sit on them when she's done laying and they'll all hatch at the same time, instead of all of them being offset by a day. Once they start, though, they can't stop until they hatch or else they'll die, so hens go into a bit of a trance and don't eat, poop, or even drink all that much. In fact groups of chickens will have some layers that don't care for their eggs and some broody hens will just collect every egg they can steal from the layers.

So sitting nearby could just be her not wanting to start the clock before she laid more. Of course, it could just be :derptiel:

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
Auri training update time, it's been a while.

She has discovered the wonder that is nutriberries, and while she's always been food motivated, she goes nuts for these things. So they are helping as rewards.

The past year or so we've continued to work on being ok with touching so that she can be safely handled. She's doing really well in this respect; she doesn't like being touched, but in the past year we've gone from angry loud squawking and wing flapping to annoyed protest (sometimes accompanied by wing flapping) and we're just starting to get to the point where it's grudgingly tolerated for a few seconds, or if I "poke" at her (usually without touching) it's more of a familiar "back off bud" annoyed sound than anything else.

As with last winter, I've let her flight feathers grow back in. Since I'm not taking her outside in the cold, I may as well let her have mobility indoors and continue teaching her to fly.

Last winter we got to the point where she had learned to land without damaging her tail feathers and do rudimentary turns. So far this fall/winter we've made a pretty big advance, beyond just refining her existing turning and landing skills: she's learned that she can fly upwards. It makes sense that she didn't realize she could do this; she's almost never been flighted, and even though I try and encourage wing exercise as much as possible, even last winter she was only maintaining altitude-to-gliding downward.

It was actually pretty funny the very first time that I saw it "click" for her: I had encouraged her to fly off my finger from her perch across the room to the top of her cage, something she'd never done without me giving her an upward boost. The moment she landed on her cage she started making one of her happiest sounds repeatedly and just kept doing it while pacing around on top of her cage. So I gave her a nutriberry and she got even happier--she must have been making happy sounds for a solid 5 minutes. That was just a week ago! This past week we've been working on continuing that and building on it, so now she's flying to her cage both when I am near her perch and when I'm near her cage (so flying both from and to me).

This evening I started teaching her to fly the other direction, cage to perch. This is something she's fairly used to doing, but only when I give her direction my letting her launch off my finger--the goal is to be able to call her over to me.

Next month, we'll start working on recall training flying to my finger.

Kenshin fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Dec 11, 2018

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Captain Log posted:

My one and only female cockatiel Eriza was exactly like this. "These things came out of me and they are clearly important on some level but gently caress if I know what to do with them."

redgubbinz posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9XLsDSxdMA

Ok that does it, I now enjoy winter again
Oh god :3:

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

DarkHorse posted:

Dunno about cockatiels, but chicken eggs can sit around indefinitely before incubation starts. That way, the hen can sit on them when she's done laying and they'll all hatch at the same time, instead of all of them being offset by a day. Once they start, though, they can't stop until they hatch or else they'll die, so hens go into a bit of a trance and don't eat, poop, or even drink all that much. In fact groups of chickens will have some layers that don't care for their eggs and some broody hens will just collect every egg they can steal from the layers.

So sitting nearby could just be her not wanting to start the clock before she laid more. Of course, it could just be :derptiel:

This is how it works with parrots too more or less, so I'd wager this is what she is doing.

I recommend buying fake eggs online if you haven't already. Definitely do not remove the eggs from her until she gets bored of them in her own time or she'll just keep laying more trying to get a full clutch. Laying eggs in general is very hard on birds, taking a lot of energy and shittons of calcium and other minerals.

Truck Stop Daddy
Apr 17, 2013

A janitor cleans the bathroom

Muldoon
Interesting read:
https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2018/dec/11/legitimate-zoo-obscure-german-group-endangered-parrots-actp?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Oh look at the time!

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

"Sorry I can't come out for lunch today, I'm in a meeting that's running long"

"Is it the bird again"

"...no"

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

Boggle is King of Snuggle Mountain

He is also a loud boy

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
When I'm watching something on my Iphone and it's mostly black, Serra will catch her reflection. Then she runs up to it, crest extended, beak bonks the reflection, then goes behind the phone as if she is squawking at a bird through a window.

Then after three times of SEEING a birb but not being able to FIND the bird, she grabs my phone and flips it face down. :stare:

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
Crouton usually tries to feed her reflection while Galbedir yells happily at his from afar. Their shadows, however, are obviously evil and must be yelled at angrily with much flapping of wings and Getting Real Long And Skinny.

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

today Terra left me a present in his food bowl!

his first moulted pin feather! Up until now he's just been moulting down feathers but this is the first "solid" feather I've seen. My little baby is growing up!

Perhaps a penguin
Dec 12, 2009
https://imgur.com/gallery/M1OEr9t

This is Whiskey, my gcc.

What inanimate objects does your guys’ bird fight and lose to?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Perhaps a penguin posted:

https://imgur.com/gallery/M1OEr9t

This is Whiskey, my gcc.

What inanimate objects does your guys’ bird fight and lose to?

Named after, and currently drunk on? :v:

Perhaps a penguin
Dec 12, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Named after, and currently drunk on? :v:

Explains why he thought the TP tube was talking poo poo

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
I'm saving my pictures for Serra Sunday, but my bird now officially eat bacon.

No veggies, no fruit, but a sandwich with bacon? She'll run across the room and snatch a piece of bacon.

How do these birds survive in the wild?!?!

Patrovsky
May 8, 2007
whatever is fine

Sheer numbers.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Patrovsky posted:

Sheer numbers.
Flockatiels :v:

Patrovsky
May 8, 2007
whatever is fine

Tendai posted:

Flockatiels :v:

:v:

I can watch a youtube video of a flock of budgies, and sort of get that they're wild animals, but if I watch a video of flockatiels, it doesn't quiet parse for me. Like, they're so ingrained in my brain as shoulder doofuses that it feels fake to see them out there living in trees and drinking from lakes.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
I have watched a cockatiel investigate an open mouth by sticking its head inside. I think the survival instinct got tossed out along the way to make room for something that seemed very important at the time

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Patrovsky posted:

:v:

I can watch a youtube video of a flock of budgies, and sort of get that they're wild animals, but if I watch a video of flockatiels, it doesn't quiet parse for me. Like, they're so ingrained in my brain as shoulder doofuses that it feels fake to see them out there living in trees and drinking from lakes.
I get the same way - budgies? Yep. Cockatoos? Yep. A flock of cockatiels? My brain goes "Who let those goofuses free???" :3: I really need to go to fuckoffnowhere in Australia someday and see them in the flesh.

Patrovsky
May 8, 2007
whatever is fine

Tendai posted:

I get the same way - budgies? Yep. Cockatoos? Yep. A flock of cockatiels? My brain goes "Who let those goofuses free???" :3: I really need to go to fuckoffnowhere in Australia someday and see them in the flesh.

I wonder if they scream at food that's the wrong colour in the wild :allears:

I need to find out where I can go find them, for when I head back home. Road trip just to see cockatiels.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Soooo, I just noticed that, when I did a picture for the birds thread in PYF, it was quoted here too. I kinda forgot all about the actual pets forum!

That being said, here thread, have a picture.

Without BG:

Yes, that's a least weasel. All other weasels, while certainly as noble a steed as any, would just be too big :v: I greatly value realism in these pictures!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Patrovsky posted:

I wonder if they scream at food that's the wrong colour in the wild :allears:

I need to find out where I can go find them, for when I head back home. Road trip just to see cockatiels.

Dunno about budgies and cockateils, but galahs and especially cockatoos just love to perch on high places and scream at nothing in particular, or possibly me.