Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

Don't look at the sun, but rather what it illuminates
College Slice
Retard means to slow down or move back

:69snypa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010

Sagebrush posted:

The r-word has a good balance of sounds to be spat out in anger in a way that other terms like "idiot" or "moron" don't.

There are some other insults that sound nearly as good, though, like "shitstack" or "butthead" so use those instead

The mouth feel of tacking “loving” onto “moron” feels just right to me. You can load so much scorn into it

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Hardawn posted:

Retard means to slow down or move back

:69snypa:

Not when it’s used to describe people, shitstack.

Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

College Slice
Wow way to retard the progress of this thread, retard

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

The phrase "mentally retarded" was initially conceived as a clinical term to replace the colloquialism "moron," which itself used to be a medical term

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Hardawn posted:

Wow way to retard the progress of this thread, retard

You’re neither as funny nor as clever as you think you are.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

MY WIFE is a school counselor (I may have mentioned this in passing) but still says "retarded" sometimes when she is very angry, I think because she's from New Jersey

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

loquacius posted:

MY WIFE is a school counselor (I may have mentioned this in passing) but still says "retarded" sometimes when she is very angry, I think because she's from New Jersey

I hope you send her to the naughty step when she does.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

loquacius posted:

Does she say "retarded" or "re-tah-did?" Everyone knows if you use the soft "ah" rather than a hard "r" it makes it okay.

/s

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

SciFiDownBeat posted:

Does she say "retarded" or "re-tah-did?" Everyone knows if you use the soft "ah" rather than a hard "r" it makes it okay.

/s

The first one, she's not a Boston townie (I get your reference)

And yeah I take care to remind her that she should know better as a person with a psych degree who interacts with special-needs children all day and she gets the hint

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

MarcusSA posted:

I think he means sex through a sheet which some ultra Orthodox Jews do.

It’s weird.

I mean, a furry costume is basically a sheet right. Same general idea

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

SciFiDownBeat posted:

The phrase "mentally retarded" was initially conceived as a clinical term to replace the colloquialism "moron," which itself used to be a medical term

moron, imbecile and idiot were all technical terms for various degrees of what is now called intellectual disability (in that order; a moron was more than one standard deviation below average, an imbecile more than two, and an idiot more than three).

a cretin is a person suffering the deformities caused by a congenital iodine deficiency.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
actually a cretin is from crete

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

SniperWoreConverse posted:

actually a cretin is from crete

New To Catch A Predator defence: I thought she said she was a Minoan.

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
It really should be used to describe someone who has stopped learning

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
I find when you use ritard instead, people are not offended.

Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

College Slice
it's true you do catch more flies with honey

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
My problem with retard has always been "but how likely is a RETARDED person to see what im posting and get offended?"

I think parents getting upset at the word because they have special needs kids is a bridge too far.

Also im not a hateful person and dont use slurs, but retarded is useful in a way other slurs are not iMO

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
Right, so someone with a special needs kid can gently caress off, because the word retard is useful to you, instead of, oh, I don't know, the thousands of other words you can use to describe that same person without using a, as you called it, a slur?

Tell me, should women stop being so sensitive about being called bitches, because, hey, it's a handy word to describe them?

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Leavemywife posted:

Right, so someone with a special needs kid can gently caress off, because the word retard is useful to you, instead of, oh, I don't know, the thousands of other words you can use to describe that same person without using a, as you called it, a slur?

Tell me, should women stop being so sensitive about being called bitches, because, hey, it's a handy word to describe them?

Yeah I'm just gonna selfishly bring a retard to term in this world and then demand the rest of you cater to my foolish personal choices

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
Or maybe not be an rear end in a top hat to someone with a condition literally beyond their control? Even if they never find out, you're still an rear end in a top hat. It's just basic empathy.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
that word (personally) should never be applied to those types of people. thats a stunning lack of empathy i agree. that word should have never been pointed at them in the first place.

actual retards like that guy (or my mom) who just invested his/her life savings based on iraqi dinar re-valuation should definitely be offended.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

tactlessbastard posted:

Yeah I'm just gonna selfishly bring a retard to term in this world and then demand the rest of you cater to my foolish personal choices

Catering to someone’s personal choices =/= not using a word that you know is offensive. If someone chooses to have a mixed-race child, by your logic the child is “allowed” to get offended if you use a racial epithet but for the parent to get offended is “a bridge too far”. What next? Gays getting offended when you call them fags? When will the madness end! Don’t give up! Fight for your right to be a prick!

PS not only are you incapable of a rational argument, you’re an rear end in a top hat.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Leavemywife posted:

No dude because bitches is a gendered slur, they are different.

A non-mentally handicapped hearing the word “retarded” is getting offended on behalf of disabled people.

It’s a really bad idea to try to compare or contrast slurs, because you probably don’t understand what it’s like to be a woman, and gay, and a POC, and physically disabled etc, so trying to say “the word retard is just as bad and should be handled the same as X” just makes you seem insensitive while also virtue signaling.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Bust Rodd posted:

No dude because bitches is a gendered slur, they are different.

A non-mentally handicapped hearing the word “retarded” is getting offended on behalf of disabled people.

It’s a really bad idea to try to compare or contrast slurs, because you probably don’t understand what it’s like to be a woman, and gay, and a POC, and physically disabled etc, so trying to say “the word retard is just as bad and should be handled the same as X” just makes you seem insensitive while also virtue signaling.

Maybe the point is that all slurs are bad, whether directed at someone personally or not?
I’m not a Gypsy but I don’t use (or like) the expression “what a gyp”. I’m not black but if someone uses the n-word you’re drat right I’ll get offended. Should we only get offended when a slur targets us directly?

You can call it political correctness, but it’s really just basic human decency.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

As a middle class white man who's never really faced any real discrimination I literally can't even understand the concept of being offended at something not laser-targeted at me specifically. It must be that virtue-signalling thing I've heard so much about??

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Baronjutter posted:

As a middle class white man who's never really faced any real discrimination I literally can't even understand the concept of being offended at something not laser-targeted at me specifically. It must be that virtue-signalling thing I've heard so much about??

That, and these millennial snowflakes who just get offended at the drop of a hat. Even when they aren’t being targeted directly!

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Bust Rodd posted:

feeling upset when someone else is being insulted or attacked is called https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Empathy and normally this capacity is developed in human beings by the age of three

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

it is also displayed by rodents

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
https://youtu.be/TWzezWq7FkA

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
drat you, puppet master! drat you!

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

therattle posted:

Catering to someone’s personal choices =/= not using a word that you know is offensive. If someone chooses to have a mixed-race child, by your logic the child is “allowed” to get offended if you use a racial epithet but for the parent to get offended is “a bridge too far”. What next? Gays getting offended when you call them fags? When will the madness end! Don’t give up! Fight for your right to be a prick!

PS not only are you incapable of a rational argument, you’re an rear end in a top hat.

looks like this retard got triggered

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
username checks out

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

We should bring back "yo mama" insults.

Yo mama so fat she could eat the internet.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

tactlessbastard posted:

looks like this retard got triggered

Zing. You got me there. Strong counter-argument. But you’re right; I got triggered. I forgot about the ignore feature.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Solice Kirsk posted:

We should bring back "yo mama" insults.

Yo mama so fat she could eat the internet.

Yo mama so fat, she gotta stand up in sections.

Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

College Slice
your mother got sweaty running into the house when I happened to mention it being chili out.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
Yo mama so fat, Thanos had to snap twice.

Beefed Owl
Sep 13, 2007

Come at me scrub-lord I'm ripped!
Came for the feshes, leaving with an argument about retards and your mom jokes.

Never change gbs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

is it easier to measure retardation in fahrenheit or celsius