Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

mewse posted:

That's bullshit.

#1: any decent company follows innocent until proven guilty

#2: to respond to an allegation, the accused has to be informed of the details of the allegation. Withholding the allegation means the accused can't defend themselves, and also means the incident wasn't investigated properly.

Also everything pixaal said. They can't write you up for something, inform you that you're being written up, and then not tell you what you're being written up for. A protest in writing would be fantastic.

And a decent company would have better things to worry about than browsing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

nexus6 posted:

Man, my employer is remarkably stubborn. So after they threatened me with 'legal action' if I don't stay for 3 months I responded explaining that

I've made one more plea to reason but after that I think I might just not turn up next year and see what they do/say.

Also, the $client for $current_project is making plans for next year so I can only assume they have not been told. I'm thinking I might just let them know at the end of the week that I'm not coming back and "Oh, you didn't know? Well I submitted my notice to $employer weeks ago and I also implored them to tell you. I don't know why they didn't bother."

I think you should reach out to the client for that project and inform them directly that there's going to be delays in your project/their product due to your quitting, and you want to make sure they have ample time to find people to work on it, and strongly suggest.

Odds are good they didn't tell their affected clients; your other option is to go above your bosses heads and ask their bosses directly why you're being discriminated against.

spog posted:

Do your existing job from the bathroom in the new place. It will be easy casue you're going to be half-assing it for the 3 months anyway.

I mean, strictly speaking, if you're working remote all you have to do is log in, get set up, and mess around all day, right?

It sounds like your best course of action is to just get paid to do nothing for 3 months while working a job you actaully care about.

you're probably going to want to lawyer up though. If they're already threatening legal action, i'd be prepared for them to sue you no matter the outcome. Do yourself a favor and get ready now.

IF you want to get out early, having a lawyer negotiate your release date and deal with your contract for you is probably worth the cash.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

I love having a manager, who was hired based on his experience managing call centers for a phone company, is trying to tell me how being a tech generalist is the future of being in IT.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes

TheParadigm posted:

Odds are good they didn't tell their affected clients; your other option is to go above your bosses heads and ask their bosses directly why you're being discriminated against.

Yeah, that guy doesn't really respond much. When I submitted my resignation it took him 4 days to even acknowledge it.

TheParadigm posted:

I mean, strictly speaking, if you're working remote all you have to do is log in, get set up, and mess around all day, right?

It sounds like your best course of action is to just get paid to do nothing for 3 months while working a job you actaully care about.

I wish that were the case, but I get enough calls and messages working remotely that it really wouldn't be feasible doing two jobs at once

I just really want to know what the likelihood of any legal action is and what the cost would be. If it's something like a month's salary I don't really give a poo poo - I've already said I'm willing to forfeit two by finishing early.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Holy poo poo don't hide a computer in a cupboard for a full year, then complain when you can't log on to it. AFFECTING PRODUCTION!

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED
But that's what a server closet is right?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

RFC2324 posted:

I love having a manager, who was hired based on his experience managing call centers for a phone company, is trying to tell me how being a tech generalist is the future of being in IT.

Oh boy.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

nexus6 posted:

Yeah, that guy doesn't really respond much. When I submitted my resignation it took him 4 days to even acknowledge it.

I wish that were the case, but I get enough calls and messages working remotely that it really wouldn't be feasible doing two jobs at once

I just really want to know what the likelihood of any legal action is and what the cost would be. If it's something like a month's salary I don't really give a poo poo - I've already said I'm willing to forfeit two by finishing early.

quote:

They could seek another legal remedy against you including a) compensation for breach of contract against you, claiming any financial loss they say arises as a result of your early departure or b) applying for a Court order to stop you working somewhere else, if your new employer is a competitor, for example.

It is relatively rare for an employer to take legal action against an employee who leaves early in breach of their contractual notice period, but it really depends on all the circumstances.

If your departure will cause the employer financial loss or you are leaving to go to a competitor, they are more likely to take action against you.

Have you talked to the new employer?

You might get their sympathy, especially if you offer to start working for them off the books in the run up to official employment (self-training, etc)

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

Update: So after explaining for the third (fourth?) time that there is no project work for me to pick up in the new year and there is no reason to keep me around $company have said they would like to compromise. No indication on any details yet though.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

You have no clue. I was hired 3 months ago as a sysadmin based on my expertise in Linux. Almost immediately I discovered that most of what I am expected to work on is windows, and then they started methodically changing things to shift it from being a NOC to being a call center.

I don't expect I am long for this job, I got hired at a FAR higher rate than they are gonna want to pay a phone jockey.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

RFC2324 posted:

You have no clue. I was hired 3 months ago as a sysadmin based on my expertise in Linux. Almost immediately I discovered that most of what I am expected to work on is windows, and then they started methodically changing things to shift it from being a NOC to being a call center.

I don't expect I am long for this job, I got hired at a FAR higher rate than they are gonna want to pay a phone jockey.

I've been there. While the day to day may suck, it's assuaged by getting paid 3-4x the going rate while actively looking for another job.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Proteus Jones posted:

I've been there. While the day to day may suck, it's assuaged by getting paid 3-4x the going rate while actively looking for another job.

This is true, and being on graveyards does mean I can fly under the radar for a while, but I quit working in call centers because I hate this poo poo that bad.

They are threatening to set our phones to autoanswer now :smithicide:

spog
Aug 7, 2004

nexus6 posted:

Update: So after explaining for the third (fourth?) time that there is no project work for me to pick up in the new year and there is no reason to keep me around $company have said they would like to compromise. No indication on any details yet though.

If I may suggest:

Take the initiative. Put together a transition plan that simply and clearly shows how you can fully train your replacement in 6 weeks with time to spare.
Present it to them as an option.

The fact that you know it will be pure fiction is beside the point.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

I appreciate where you're coming from, but I'm not gonna do that. People don't train their replacements here, hell, I didn't get any training at all in the year I've been here. Even so, all my work is fully handed over so no training is necessary. On top of that I'm not willing to do another 6 weeks on top of the 4 I will have already done - that only puts me 2 weeks shy of the full notice period. I'm thinking I'd maybe do 1.5 - 2 weeks more.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

nexus6 posted:

I appreciate where you're coming from, but I'm not gonna do that. People don't train their replacements here, hell, I didn't get any training at all in the year I've been here. Even so, all my work is fully handed over so no training is necessary. On top of that I'm not willing to do another 6 weeks on top of the 4 I will have already done - that only puts me 2 weeks shy of the full notice period. I'm thinking I'd maybe do 1.5 - 2 weeks more.

You need to give them something to approve of. It's like giving a cookie to a kid, they will cry if you don't give them something, anything.

Even if it is only an email to clients with the names of their new contacts

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010
I don't understand that this is still being discussed. Walk out the door on the date you gave in your resignation. Done.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

angry armadillo posted:

I don't understand that this is still being discussed. Walk out the door on the date you gave in your resignation. Done.

He has a contract that requires him to stay an extra 3 months and in the UK this can cause issues.

He is also supposed to tug his forelock and say 'yessir'.

mewse
May 2, 2006

spog posted:

He has a contract that requires him to stay an extra 3 months and in the UK this can cause issues.

*ahem* 'yes m'lord'

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

mewse posted:

*ahem* 'yes m'lord'

*m'lud

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

May I suggest that you get advice from a lawyer or someone in the UK that knows about this instead of mostly Americans that adhere to a completly different set of rules?

Walking out would be a bad idea in Norway for example.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

angry armadillo posted:

I say get paid for a three month vacation where you do the absolute minimum to appease your current idiot employers.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

Bigass Moth posted:

I say get paid for a three month vacation where you do the absolute minimum to appease your current idiot employers.

I would totally do this if I didn't already have a higher-paid job waiting for me. I'd much rather leave to go do that asap instead of dicking around at my current place.

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010

spog posted:

My bad - the narrative I picked up was he had a 4 week notice period and the employer asked him to do 3 month for ~reasons~

If that is the scenario, you go off sick with "stress"

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

nexus6 posted:

I would totally do this if I didn't already have a higher-paid job waiting for me. I'd much rather leave to go do that asap instead of dicking around at my current place.

What's the law on going on long-term sick leave when you aren't ill, and then showing up at a new job?

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Thanks Ants posted:

What's the law on going on long-term sick leave when you aren't ill, and then showing up at a new job?

You'd probably get paid nothing but statutory sick pay from the first job and end up on full tax rate with no allowance on the second job, which might end up being bad with money or might not.

fluppet
Feb 10, 2009

Fil5000 posted:

You'd probably get paid nothing but statutory sick pay from the first job and end up on full tax rate with no allowance on the second job, which might end up being bad with money or might not.

I'd be careful with that as if your claiming a secondary wage while off on the sick it's very easy to get the DWP involved to ruin your day

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
How on Earth do home computers still operate sensibly with solely spinning rust these days? I have my nephew whining to me every third day that his computer is unusable, because there's always something running updates in background, drowning the hard disk into IO and choking off any other applications in foreground. poo poo like the Epic Game Launcher, Steam and UPlay fighting with each other, with sprinkles of WU on top of it and any bullshit background tasks that run in background (I haven't seen an even freshly untouched Windows 10 install not do something to the disks all the time when entirely idle).

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Combat Pretzel posted:

How on Earth do home computers still operate sensibly with solely spinning rust these days? I have my nephew whining to me every third day that his computer is unusable, because there's always something running updates in background, drowning the hard disk into IO and choking off any other applications in foreground. poo poo like the Epic Game Launcher, Steam and UPlay fighting with each other, with sprinkles of WU on top of it and any bullshit background tasks that run in background (I haven't seen an even freshly untouched Windows 10 install not do something to the disks all the time when entirely idle).

Like complete poo poo: I have a workstation that's an all in one with a 5400RPM drive 4GB of (soldered) RAM and an i3 in it that I have to support. You can lock the thing up for a solid 5 minutes if you open any program the second it boots. It lags like crazy if you have a word document a single excel file and outlook open. That's all it has to do, the user finds it acceptable to have only 1 word or excel file open at a time and close when done. This is the only machine I have seen "Windows has run out of memory and had to close some programs to prevent a crash" error. The user declined the last refresh and no one pushed back, and it's impossible to replace a computer out of refresh without both the user and their manager signing off on it.

Family computers would likely be even worse since everyone would have a bunch of bullshit that wants to update. Really though if you are running games you should have an SSD, it should be a crime to sell a high end videocard paired with rust.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Combat Pretzel posted:

They don't.

Though a lot of that "idle" activity is the OS desperately trying to optimize the on disk storage and cache a bunch of things to attempt to reduce the impact of slow storage.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Granted, I'm on SSDs for slightly more than five years now, but I don't think that my memory's that bad, and I don't remember things being such a poo poo show back then.

pixaal posted:

I have a workstation that's an all in one with a 5400RPM drive 4GB of (soldered) RAM and an i3 in it that I have to support.
F

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I think what hasn't helped is that desktop hard drives that you might get bundled in with a PC are slower than when nobody could afford SSDs.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Combat Pretzel posted:

Granted, I'm on SSDs for slightly more than five years now, but I don't think that my memory's that bad, and I don't remember things being such a poo poo show back then.

F

It’s the classic case of the hardware/software race. As SSDs became a thing and always-on broadband became prevalent it suddenly became viable for every software ever to phone home for update whenever they want, grabbing files of gigabytes in size “in the background”.

I had a DSL line of maybe a meg down and 256k up for far too long and I remember my 4 PC LAN parties would come to a screeching halt Fridays at noon as Steam decided to update all four clients at the same time. gently caress steam forever.

gently caress all auto-update programs forever.

gently caress all “log in to remote systems to play my game locally” vendors forever.

gently caress all PCs forever.

gently caress all.

gently caress.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Agrikk posted:

It’s the classic case of the hardware/software race. As SSDs became a thing and always-on broadband became prevalent it suddenly became viable for every software ever to phone home for update whenever they want, grabbing files of gigabytes in size “in the background”.

I had a DSL line of maybe a meg down and 256k up for far too long and I remember my 4 PC LAN parties would come to a screeching halt Fridays at noon as Steam decided to update all four clients at the same time. gently caress steam forever.

gently caress all auto-update programs forever.

gently caress all “log in to remote systems to play my game locally” vendors forever.

gently caress all PCs forever.

gently caress all.

gently caress.

Amen. Play ball!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That's the main reason I don't get into all those other game portals, even though they might have good stuff. I don't need a dozen launchers lurking in the background polling for friend logins or new screenshots or whatever else features they think they need to lift from Steam.

I get the risks of letting Steam be a monopoly but if you're not selling a game through Steam I ain't gonna be buying it.

At the very least they need to have an option to actually exit when I close the window but I don't think many of them do.

MisterZimbu
Mar 13, 2006
Steam is at least okay with it because you can tell it to only update things at certain hours unless you tell it otherwise, or cap the download rate. If you're lucky the other launchers will at least let you cap the rate.

There needs to be a Windows-level setting for "update hours" that the launchers adhere to.

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004
I worship the ground NinjaPablo walks on

xzzy posted:

That's the main reason I don't get into all those other game portals, even though they might have good stuff. I don't need a dozen launchers lurking in the background polling for friend logins or new screenshots or whatever else features they think they need to lift from Steam.

I get the risks of letting Steam be a monopoly but if you're not selling a game through Steam I ain't gonna be buying it.

At the very least they need to have an option to actually exit when I close the window but I don't think many of them do.

More of them do now because of the issues you said. My kid plays Fortnite, and that game is horrible at pushing updates out whenever it feels like it.

What I find irritating are all the manufacturers having their own "updater". With video card, mouse, keyboard, you can have 3 different updaters running all the time. I had to uninstall the Corsair one because it was messing up my keyboard (oddly also a Corsair, but an older K70). Luckily my headset works just fine without it, I just can't turn off the lights (yes I know, lights on a headset, but I don't see them, so hey).

The worse though are Razer. They leave poo poo on your computer even when you uninstall their software, and now they want you to opt-in so they can use your video card to mine.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
Hard to beat those HP audio drivers that had an embedded keylogger.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

Koskun posted:

The worse though are Razer. They leave poo poo on your computer even when you uninstall their software, and now they want you to opt-in so they can use your video card to mine.

Wait, what the gently caress?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

https://www.zdnet.com/article/razer-faces-backlash-after-asking-gamers-to-mine-cryptocurrency-for-rewards/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Razer has always been a poo poo computer with overpriced cheap parts with flashy lights to attract gamers. Logitch has a cheaper and better made version of just about every product Razer sells.