Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Random Stranger posted:

Wakanda canonically has a cure for cancer that they don't share.

Which still baffles me that they haven't retconned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

evilmiera posted:

Which still baffles me that they haven't retconned.

It's not worth retconning. You just never mention it again and pretend it didn't happen. Retconning it officially just draws attention to it.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
It's like how mutants are immune to AIDS and also Angel's blood can cure AIDS.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
In the Reed Richards Saves a Guy comic, when the lady on the ground says "We've got a jumper" why does it cut to a panel of a soldier giving a thumbs up like "gently caress yeah, suicide!"

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

MillennialVulcan posted:

In the Reed Richards Saves a Guy comic, when the lady on the ground says "We've got a jumper" why does it cut to a panel of a soldier giving a thumbs up like "gently caress yeah, suicide!"

That's Reed. It says Richards on his shoulder. It's a really weird and out of place flashback to I guess when he was a paratrooper? I dunno.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Wheat Loaf posted:

It's like how mutants are immune to AIDS and also Angel's blood can cure AIDS.

...wut

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Lurdiak posted:

It's not worth retconning. You just never mention it again and pretend it didn't happen. Retconning it officially just draws attention to it.

The best retcon is "That was a lovely writer being lovely so we just won't ever mention it again."

The worst retcons are the ones that scramble popular stories in an obvious way and thus drat us all to decades of counter-retcons, counter-counter-retcons, and repeating the original story only worse.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Chuck Austen.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Lurdiak posted:

Well I mean, unfortunately they then went and did that animated film version of that story and kept it in unchanged as I recall. I know because I watched it hoping to understand the scene better but it just pissed me off.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I'm not sure what the worst retcon is. I feel like Xorneto is pretty bad but only because of how quickly it happened. I'm pretty sure they backtracked to, "That was never the real Magneto," almost immediately after Morrison left.

Actually, no, I do know what the worst retcon is: it's Identity Crisis.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Edit, not only wrong thread, wrong loving forum.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need
Am I too later for doctor stuff?

(one of the Hulk books, after Banner splits him off again)

Mister Mind
Mar 20, 2009

I'm not a real doctor,
But I am a real worm;
I am an actual worm

Random Stranger posted:

The best retcon is "That was a lovely writer being lovely so we just won't ever mention it again."

The worst retcons are the ones that scramble popular stories in an obvious way and thus drat us all to decades of counter-retcons, counter-counter-retcons, and repeating the original story only worse.

Yeah, that...Superboy Prime.... He sure was a piece of work!

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Wheat Loaf posted:

I'm not sure what the worst retcon is. I feel like Xorneto is pretty bad but only because of how quickly it happened. I'm pretty sure they backtracked to, "That was never the real Magneto," almost immediately after Morrison left.

Actually, no, I do know what the worst retcon is: it's Identity Crisis.

My personal opinion is that the worst retcons are ones Which are obviously two writers pissed at each other and taking it to the comic as a way of sorting out their differences.

Any time the next writer goes back to change the status quo of the previous writer, that's a pretty bad retcon right there.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

The Question IRL posted:

My personal opinion is that the worst retcons are ones Which are obviously two writers pissed at each other and taking it to the comic as a way of sorting out their differences.

I randomly reread Jim Starlin's old Infinity Abyss limited series a couple of weeks ago. I hadn't realized it, but there's a whole section in the second issue that's basically Thanos walking around saying to Gamora, "Oh, yeah, I have a shitload of Thanos clones running around for chuckles. Any time you've seen me in like the last six years, that was a clone."

That conveniently included Thor killing his rear end at one point in Dan Jurgens's run.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
And yet none of them were the one that got beaten up by Squirrel Girl. The Watcher said so.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

The Question IRL posted:

Any time the next writer goes back to change the status quo of the previous writer, that's a pretty bad retcon right there.

Depends on the change honestly. If the former writer hosed something up and a new one fixes it immediately then it’s fine.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Keromaru5 posted:

And yet none of them were the one that got beaten up by Squirrel Girl. The Watcher said so.

And all of them are tools. Galactus said so.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
You cut off the funny part

E:

Better quality image

Who What Now fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Dec 16, 2018

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Who What Now posted:

You cut off the funny part
I don't know what to say if you don't think the "half goth, half hipster" joke is the funny part. :v:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Literally what they were invented for!

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Wanderer posted:

I randomly reread Jim Starlin's old Infinity Abyss limited series a couple of weeks ago. I hadn't realized it, but there's a whole section in the second issue that's basically Thanos walking around saying to Gamora, "Oh, yeah, I have a shitload of Thanos clones running around for chuckles. Any time you've seen me in like the last six years, that was a clone."

That conveniently included Thor killing his rear end at one point in Dan Jurgens's run.

Not to mention Thanos's non-Starlin-approved appearance in Mark Waid's Ka-Zar and Steve Englehart's equally non-approved use in Avengers: Celestial Quest, the latter of which was the Mantis vs. Thanos story Englehart had wanted to do for decades.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

That Thor/Thanos storyline was loving awesome and I refuse to pay any heed to any bullshit,"IT WAS A CLONE" nonsense.

But boy did that Thor series fall off a cliff after that storyline was done. It went from one of the best comics around to really awful in the span of like one issue.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Keromaru5 posted:

:wrong:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

"He will be EXACTLY the same as me. EXACTLY as powerful. EXACTLY as strong. With the EXACT same mind and memories and beliefs. Ergo if somebody beats him up, it totally doesn't count as being the same as beating me up!"

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

The only thing :wrong: is that panel right there.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Skwirl posted:

The only thing :wrong: is that panel right there.

So is this a classic case of a writer being mad about something?

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

wdarkk posted:

So is this a classic case of a writer being mad about something?

that panel was written by the guy who wrote the original panel so probably not

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
you can kill thanos off any number of times. he can infinitely come back from the dead because death loathes him and doesn't want him hanging around her house.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Alaois posted:

that panel was written by the guy who wrote the original panel so probably not
he's mad everyone has made his joke comic into canon as a joke despite it being good canon because it's a fun joke.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Jerusalem posted:

"He will be EXACTLY the same as me. EXACTLY as powerful. EXACTLY as strong. With the EXACT same mind and memories and beliefs. Ergo if somebody beats him up, it totally doesn't count as being the same as beating me up!"

Haha, excellent point. :mmmhmm:

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again

The Question IRL posted:

So there is this human fear about being completely alone while dying, and how Richard's machine literally ensures he will be with this man in his final moments.

There was a road safety campaign here a few years ago that had testimony from people who came across car accidents. It's a huge relief for families of deceased to know that someone (even a stranger) was with their loved ones as they died, so they weren't alone.

From the last page but I had a professor who was a chaplain at a hospital previously but decided to go back to school because he couldn't take always having to be the person there with someone who died. Some people just don't have anyone close there when they die.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Jerusalem posted:

That Thor/Thanos storyline was loving awesome and I refuse to pay any heed to any bullshit,"IT WAS A CLONE" nonsense.

But boy did that Thor series fall off a cliff after that storyline was done. It went from one of the best comics around to really awful in the span of like one issue.

The Dark God arc was great. The stuff afterwards where it was all about Jake Olson should have been good, but them changing the plot really undercut it and made it into a silly "Two Jakes" story.
The Thanos story is amazing and is an early example of Thor being a super metal book.

After that, I think there were some good stories. I loved the Gladiator/Thor fight (It's a shame the Zarko stuff never really gets a good payoff.) And the Reigning arc with Magni had some amazing parts.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Jurgens Thor is the source of one of the plot holes that most frustrated me when I was younger and still got annoyed by plot holes.

Basically, Jake Olson dies and he's brought back to life by being merged with Thor. His partner, Demetrius, is shown stealing drugs from the hospital where they work, selling them and plotting to pin his operation on Jake (seriously, there is literally a panel after he learns Jake is still alive where he's thinking, "drat! Now who am I gonna pin this on?"). He does this two or three times in the first 25 issues of that run.

Then it turns out that he was an undercover vice detective who suspected that Jake was actually stealing and selling drugs from the hospital, and then I think it turns out that Jake was doing this and Odin hosed up by putting Thor in the body of a criminal (who'd never had any indication of being a criminal up to this point) which, granted, would be a cool idea if it had been handled a bit better.

Then there's all this stuff where apparently Jake had an evil twin called Loren who was pretending to be him the entire time and it was all some kind of plot by Loki (of course). It was very confusing.

But I'm not sure what Jurgens's plans were or how they changed because the payoff doesn't seem to match the setup.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

That was when you gave up on comics forever right?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Synthbuttrange posted:

That was when you gave up on comics forever right?

It was where I gave up on Dan Jurgens's Thor, at least. :v:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I'm still fairly certain that the first 25 issues of that run was written by one Dan Jurgens and everything that followed was written by a different Dan Jurgens. Which one is the original and which one is the clone/alternate universe version I don't know, but whichever one wrote the first 25 issues I wish had won the battle to be the one, true Dan Jurgens :sigh:

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy

Esplanade posted:

Unless he's some kind of Reed Richards superfan, I don't really see having a total stranger hanging out watching you die is much of a comfort.

It's not a total stranger, though. It's the guy who literally talked him off the ledge in the darkest moment of his life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Jerusalem posted:

I'm still fairly certain that the first 25 issues of that run was written by one Dan Jurgens and everything that followed was written by a different Dan Jurgens. Which one is the original and which one is the clone/alternate universe version I don't know, but whichever one wrote the first 25 issues I wish had won the battle to be the one, true Dan Jurgens :sigh:

Be honest, though, JRJR is the reason to read those first 25 issues, isn't it?