Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bourricot
Aug 7, 2016

vyst posted:

Before Google play music i used poweramp with great success

PowerAmp just saw v3 (finally) get out of beta, and it is really good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
What's wrong with VLC?

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

joedevola posted:

Any recommendations for an MP3 player?

I really like the Samsung one but every time I play a track I get this warning

This means when I have it on random it only shuffles about half of the songs I have.

Also a long press > play next option would be nice.

Blackplayer has the long press functionality, but I'm not sure if it can handle 20000 tracks

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say

joedevola posted:

Any recommendations for an MP3 player?

I really like the Samsung one but every time I play a track I get this warning

This means when I have it on random it only shuffles about half of the songs I have.

Also a long press > play next option would be nice.

phonograph has the play next thing, works nicely in general and is good looking

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Phonograph is a nice app but like every other music app I've ever used, its shuffle algorithm is useless. But not as bad as the built in Huawei player, jesus christ on the 2.5 hour drive home from the city I get way too many repeats from 1500 songs.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Is there a single good shuffle algorithm out there? I have a playlist with a hundred songs on it and spotify seems to only ever play songs from the same section of the list. And each day it will move to a different section of the list. You'd think with how many radios there are in a phone, an app could grab some static off one of them to use as a random seed for shuffling.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
The problem with true random is that it will be extremely likely that two songs from the same artist will play back to back. Even more likely if they play within, say, five tracks. People really hate that and don't "feel" that it's random. So, all shuffle algorithms introduce a bunch of non randomness to make the actual playlists seem more random to humans even though they are not.

Tl;dr: humans are dumb.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I thought most players can shuffle the list, then just play that? That way you don't have to worry about duplicates.

Edit: never mind, didn't notice your point about "by the same artist". That really shouldn't be a problem from a user's point of view for a random playlist, though.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Actually thats one thing that the Huawei music app does that I like, two from the same artist, even album. That should still happen. Not every time. Hell, two sequential songs should play now and then. A small percentage of the time. I think it should go so far as to learn according to which songs you are skipping in a session and which you are going towards. Especially for someone like me with such a huge array of genres and artists.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

spincube posted:

Phoneposting but: there's an 'Assist & voice input' area in Settings, where you can choose an 'assist app' - does Cortana show up in there?

Yeah it's set in there.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

codo27 posted:

Actually thats one thing that the Huawei music app does that I like, two from the same artist, even album. That should still happen. Not every time. Hell, two sequential songs should play now and then. A small percentage of the time. I think it should go so far as to learn according to which songs you are skipping in a session and which you are going towards. Especially for someone like me with such a huge array of genres and artists.

I agree that your Huawei phone should treat you as a special case.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I think AI has developed so far that it has infiltrated this forum and created accounts all to reject the notion of its software brethren being expected to advance at all in its functionality. I apologize. I shall no longer set such lofty goals on your digital friends.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
AI doesn't exist though?

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Bourricot posted:

PowerAmp just saw v3 (finally) get out of beta, and it is really good.

Maybe the controls will work in the drop down again instead of being a whited out mess

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Uthor posted:

The problem with true random is that it will be extremely likely that two songs from the same artist will play back to back. Even more likely if they play within, say, five tracks. People really hate that and don't "feel" that it's random. So, all shuffle algorithms introduce a bunch of non randomness to make the actual playlists seem more random to humans even though they are not.

Tl;dr: humans are dumb.

Spotify already does this to me, so I don't see what difference it would make. If it was actually random, I wouldn't mind. When I added music to my shower playlist, I went through by bands, so each section of the list is a big chunk from the same band. Even though it claims to shuffle, it still plays three songs from the same band in a row.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Grog posted:

I noticed a few people talking about the Mi A2 when I looked stuff up before. What do you mean by formatting the poo poo out of it, though? Do you have to load a custom ROM for it to be any good or something?

Also yeah, I don't care that much about the speakers or that high-end DAC that was in the Axon anymore. I just ended up using my BackBeat Fit most of the time.

Every review I've seen for a Xiaomi phone never has anything positive to say about the MiUI skin, so you'll want a different launcher at the least.

It's a shame your phone bugged out after Black Friday; bhphotovideo has good enough deals that even with conversion and import fees, they can often beat local prices in Canada. That's how I got my LG G6, which has been really solid so far. ~ CAD $550 last year. $250 less than the cheapest telco wanted outright.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Dec 15, 2018

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

codo27 posted:

If you are skipping songs on your playlist, remove them

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers

Mister Facetious posted:

Every review I've seen for a Xiaomi phone never has anything positive to say about the MiUI skin, so you'll want a different launcher at the least.

There are a couple of Xiaomi apps pre-installed on the Mi A2, but it's an android one phone and there are no UI changes from stock.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
I stand corrected then. My info is only as good as my sources. :pseudo:

Testro
May 2, 2009
I can't remember why Poweramp got on my nerves, but I dropped it in favour of Pulsar. Really like it.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I've been using Shuttle as my music player for years and love it.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

Mu Zeta posted:

I've been using Shuttle as my music player for years and love it.

i was using it until the two most recent versions kept crashing while i was driving, which is the single worst time for a crash. phonograph is the next best as far as functionality for me and it doesn't crash. agree with codo that the shuffle isn't the best but the perfect music player doesn't exist so i will take what i can get

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
I dropped poweramp a couple years ago after they were lagging behind in getting an android auto support. Not sure if they ever got around to adding it or not.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

We're we're were we're we're we're were were were were were were we're.

I typed were every single time up there and Gboard autocorrect turned it into we're half of the time for no discernible reason. What the gently caress? Why does it even autocorrect words that are spelled correctly in the first place?

If I try to start a sentence with were repeatedly it alternates between correcting it to we're and leaving it alone so it's not even completely random.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Most autocorrecting software these days uses deep learning to analyze sentence structure and use the previously typed words to deduce what you are trying to say. Something about the order of the words is determining when to type were and when to use we're.

And since it's deep learning, it almost impossible to explain the decision making of the computer, so don't even try to figure it out!

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

eXXon posted:

We're we're were we're we're we're were were were were were were we're.

I typed were every single time up there and Gboard autocorrect turned it into we're half of the time for no discernible reason. What the gently caress? Why does it even autocorrect words that are spelled correctly in the first place?

If I try to start a sentence with were repeatedly it alternates between correcting it to we're and leaving it alone so it's not even completely random.

i noticed this yesterday and the best course of action is to just type the next word as normal and it will re-correct it to were if it's appropriate based on the second word

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

strap on revenge posted:

i noticed this yesterday and the best course of action is to just type the next word as normal and it will re-correct it to were if it's appropriate based on the second word

Some words get mistaken a lot with fast swiping like if/of and they only sometimes get caught when continuing onto the next word and it's really irritating how inconsistent it is.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I have always used one finger swipe in 8 years of smartphone ownership. I still can't type worth a gently caress and avoid my phone at home in favor of computers. I was trying to say "Coleman's" to the gf yesterday and it came out as "vivekanada" whatever that is. It was so good I just left it.

Chunjee
Oct 27, 2004

codo27 posted:

I have always used one finger swipe in 8 years of smartphone ownership. I still can't type worth a gently caress and avoid my phone at home in favor of computers. I was trying to say "Coleman's" to the gf yesterday and it came out as "vivekanada" whatever that is. It was so good I just left it.

lol, I need to start playing this autocorrect gambit.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

syscall girl posted:

AI doesn't exist though?

That's just what a malevolent AI would want people to believe. I see through you.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Does anyone know if the Pixel buds are any good? Still have that 20% off code valid until today.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Myself and gf both getting a lot less rewards surveys since we got Huawei phones. I just opened the app a while ago and then just now finally got one. We used to get them I'll say nearly daily. Now maybe weekly.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

If I were to guess, I would say more restrictive background settings leading to less accurate location tracking.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!
I'm probably an idiot and am just missing it, but is there a setting to turn off double-tap to wake from ambient display? I'm finding it too sensitive for my liking, often waking the screen from ambient display when I'm just holding it or checking the time. Phone is stock Pixel 3 XL.

Healbot posted:

Does anyone know if the Pixel buds are any good? Still have that 20% off code valid until today.

I am very much not an audiophile, but I've been happy with the ones that came with my Pixel 3. They sound better than the bluetooth Anker Soundbuds I had previously been using. The Assistant integration is neat, but not game-changing for my usage--the biggest thing for me is pressing the button to have it read me/let me respond to chat notifications, which is handy while walking. That said, I'd prefer bluetooth just because it's easier for me in the gym. I only switched because my rear end in a top hat cat chewed through my Soundbuds.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Healbot posted:

I like them fine, but the left one isn't working right less than two months in (seems like there's no bass coming from that speaker). Probably due to me using them at work while bending down a lot and putting stress on plug.

I like being able to press a button and have the time and notifications read to me. Wish that was a standard that one could access with any headphones with built in controls.

I prefer cheap wired earbuds and these are the best I can do without a headphone jack.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

codo27 posted:

Myself and gf both getting a lot less rewards surveys since we got Huawei phones. I just opened the app a while ago and then just now finally got one. We used to get them I'll say nearly daily. Now maybe weekly.

I'm getting fewer too and I'm still using a Pixel XL. It's feast or famine with surveys.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Healbot posted:

They're fine or You're not expecting too much, probably comparable to a half decent £20 pair of Sennheisers I had a few years ago. They are nice and secure in the ear though, I really wish more earphones offered that loop thing.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
I still get location-based surveys about once a day, and I've gotten a couple youtube "is this a good recommendation" surveys in the last month or two, but that's about it.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

I really disliked the pixel buds even though the wired ones that come with the 3 are ok.

My head/neck is so big that the cord between them was too small and I'd yank them out looking around

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
idk if that dude is asking about the bluetooth Pixel Buds or the wired ones that come with the phones, but I like the wireless ones after a few weeks of using them. The right bud being touch sensitive is really nice. the case charging them is nice. the cord could be a little longer between them. I don't know enough about the world of wireless buds to know if its a smart purchase though.