Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Kyoryuger is my favorite Super Sentai so I'm entirely fine with doing it again with Ryusouger. It has been a long time, the kids who are going to watch it won't even be aware it's sort of a copycat.

That said it's gonna live or die by its cast. Kyoryuger had a great cast and a lot of optimism and fun but that didn't carry it half as hard as Daigo's outstanding presence and the awesomeness of the rest of the team. Ucchy was A+, Nossan was S, and Ramirez broke the scale. If they end up with another Takaharu... Well, it won't be pretty.

I do hope the rumors/leak about Sentai taking time off after this isn't true though, I will really miss the hell out of it. It's all up to toy sales though, it's not like the show is in decline or anything since we had Zyuohger only two years ago and it was fantastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
The thing is, Big Bad Beetleborgs did even better than Power Rangers. It only couldn't keep going because there wasn't any footage to use.

Masked Rider was doomed from the start which is one reason I don't think they pursued it TOO heavily.

VR Troopers did just fine, but it also ran into a footage problem.

Even Superhuman Samurai Syber Squad did pretty drat good numbers and sales, there just wasn't a sequel to use.

Basically almost every serious attempt (The 4Kids dub was NOT a serious attempt) to try and recreate Power Rangers by a major company (Sorry Dragon Knight) has failed miserably...because of footage restraint, and not because there wasn't a market for it.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
Beetleborgs also had some sickass toys, which always helps.

Obviously SSSS did as well.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Oh I didn't mean to imply all those shows were failures. In fact, I think I heard there were plans to do a third season of Beetleborgs that was entirely american footage (and they were already using the actual B-Fighter/Kabuto footage as sparingly as possible) but it never panned out.

Ironically, Dragon Knight was actually much better received in Japan than it was in the US (it got a brand new opening theme, several Kamen Rider alumni were part of the dub cast and it actually got a DVD release over there).

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
We've talked about it before, but the best way to try and do Kamen Rider over here is probably just to do one set in/based on The First/The Next, aesthetics and all, and eschew toyetic-ness entirely

Just feed into that love triangle character drama low budgeted high stunt work CW blend.

Kamen Rider doesn't have to be strictly kids toy franchise in every iteration- Amazons and The First/The Next prove that Toei are more willing to take those kinds of risks with them. The problem is getting Toei to agree to work with an American company to do that kind of thing.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Ah Jesus holy poo poo

I'm dizzy

I've wanted this for so long

I need a moment

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Hurricanger this spring

Abaranger in summer? Maybe? If they don't decide to go do another old season

Come on Bioman, come on shout do it do it do it

Black Feather
Apr 14, 2012

Call someone who cares.
Italy got Precure through... Doki Doki, I think? And they were decently popular, various merch and all. I was surprised to find out the US didn't get them.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Burkion posted:

We've talked about it before, but the best way to try and do Kamen Rider over here is probably just to do one set in/based on The First/The Next, aesthetics and all, and eschew toyetic-ness entirely

Just feed into that love triangle character drama low budgeted high stunt work CW blend.

Kamen Rider doesn't have to be strictly kids toy franchise in every iteration- Amazons and The First/The Next prove that Toei are more willing to take those kinds of risks with them. The problem is getting Toei to agree to work with an American company to do that kind of thing.

I feel the exact opposite, the only way Kamen Rider has a chance is by successfully getting a toyetic Western adaptation off the ground, and if Power Rangers does well enough under Hasbro's ownership I figure they'll probably make a deal with Toei to do something with Kamen Rider as well eventually, especially if Super Sentai does indeed go on a hiatus soon

Only then once it's established in the US properly can a more serious original production be a possibility, only reason we even got Amazons here was because Amazon has partial ownership of it and wanted to pad out their list of originals here in the US cheaply by subbing it

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Black Feather posted:

Italy got Precure through... Doki Doki, I think? And they were decently popular, various merch and all. I was surprised to find out the US didn't get them.

The US got Smile and DokiDoki as Glitter Force, it wasn't that great though and was apparently hacked to pieces (the latter ended up having like 20+ episodes get cut out which is weird since it was exclusive to Netflix where they shouldn't have had to worry about that stuff). Also as mentioned Canada got a straight dub of the original series that as I understand it was fairly faithful to the source material apart from westernizing most of the character names and changing a few cultural references.

The show could probably still work over here though as the Magical Girl genre is still fairly successful in the west (Sailor Moon, Cardcaptor, Madoka, etc.). Not to mention the fact that at its core the series is basically Sentai (and a little Kamen Rider) meets Dragon Ball with a dash of Sailor Moon.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Dec 13, 2018

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

SpazmasterX posted:

Beetleborgs also had some sickass toys, which always helps.

Obviously SSSS did as well.

That reminds me, why hasn't Sentai ever done a bug themed group? Boy love bugs. Iknow Kamen Rider exists, but that hasn't had any connections to bugs in forever.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Xelkelvos posted:

That reminds me, why hasn't Sentai ever done a bug themed group? Boy love bugs. Iknow Kamen Rider exists, but that hasn't had any connections to bugs in forever.

Similarly there's never been a primarily dino theme for a Rider. That's been at least one dinosaur-themed suit (PuToTyra in OOO) but nothing with dinosaurs as the primary aesthetic

That one villain Rider from Den-O doesn't count, he's crocodile themed.

E:No connection to bugs in forever' my rear end, OOO had GataKiriBa Combo :colbert: he just didn't use it much because every time he did his Multiplication thing, the budget burst into flame

Malachite_Dragon fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Dec 13, 2018

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Xelkelvos posted:

ExAid fought Bugsters. :v:

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

E: this should be an edit

Malachite_Dragon fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Dec 13, 2018

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Xelkelvos posted:

Not full teams but we have had a few bug themed rangers in the past (the Goraigers from Hurricanger, Beet & Stag Buster from Go-Busters).

In regards to bugs in Kamen Rider, Ghost's design is modeled after a firefly but that's about it as far as I can remember.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Dec 13, 2018

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Also OOOs' gata form might be the most over powered Rider form of all time

Normally when you do poo poo like multi form techniques, it makes you weaker. NOT OOOS!

Each of them are JUST as strong as the original AND ALL OF THEM CAN TRANSFORM INTO OTHER COMBOS

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
so strong that no budget can handle such power

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
It'll never not make me laugh that his big movie exclusive form played second banana to just one of his random complete forms from the show

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

That All Combos scene was recreated in-engine almost frame for frame in Battride War Genesis and it cemented it as one of my favorite games ever, even if I can't read any of the menus.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

so strong that no budget can handle such power

It will never stop being funny that thwy wrote the rest of the show making sure he never had access to it again

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
New Zi-O is up.

We get a guest appearance by Magenta in 14.5. Real Riders wear pink. The .5s are consistently more entertaining than the actual episodes still.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Larryb posted:

Not full teams but we have had a few bug themed rangers in the past (the Goraigers from Hurricanger, Beet & Stag Buster from Go-Busters).

In regards to bugs in Kamen Rider, Ghost's design is modeled after a firefly but that's about it as far as I can remember.

yeah all those dragonflies with unicorn horns

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Elfgames posted:

yeah all those dragonflies with unicorn horns

Firefly and to be fair I'm not sure if it's actually true or not, it's just something I've heard (I think it more refers to the general design of the helmet/face plate)

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

We have a full view of our newest Zi-O Rider. And his new outfit, because as we knew already, it's Woz.

Black Feather
Apr 14, 2012

Call someone who cares.

Love the suit, hate the civilian clothes. He looks ready to go sing choir at a church.

Seriously, the more I look at it, the more I hate it.

Black Feather fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Dec 14, 2018

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

It will never stop being funny that thwy wrote the rest of the show making sure he never had access to it again
They even hang a lampshade on it once or twice. I think during the anniversary episode?

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Black Feather posted:

Love the suit, hate the civilian clothes. He looks ready to go sing choir at a church.

I mean

it's Woz

Black Feather
Apr 14, 2012

Call someone who cares.

Nodosaur posted:

I mean

it's Woz

I wonder if the clear style shift is indicating that he will end up supporting the idea of Sougo as a benevolent king rather than an evil overlord.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Everything about Tsukasa is wonderful in 14 and 14.5 :allears:

Dear Toei, I have plans to improve Kamen Rider. One, Decade should be louder, angrier, and have access to a time machine. Two, when Decade isn't on screen, all the other characters should be asking "Where's Decade?"

(Though I guess this episode shows he doesn't need a time machine. :v: )

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

If he uses the power of Riders from the future, I expect to see an Aqua Ridewatch.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Waffleman_ posted:

If he uses the power of Riders from the future, I expect to see an Aqua Ridewatch.

I doubt it. If that's what Woz was going for, he'd already have Aqua, Dark Drive, etc., but instead he has Ridewatches of brand-new Riders so he'll likely just use Riders created specifically for the series (that can reuse as much of old suits as possible)

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
I knew the Decade forms for Zi-O would look ridiculous, but I don't think I quite grasped how silly the belt would look with stacked ridewatches.

What a goofy thing. The complementation project was also very good.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

The fact he has a similar helmet to Zi-O fuels my pet theory that at some point he'll just go "Fine, if you won't be the evil overlord, I'll do it myself!" and become Oma Zi-O himself.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
My theory was a second Woz from another future representing the more benevolent leader Zio is becoming, but maybe that's because we just had a "two of the same person at once" story recently.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

King of Solomon posted:

I knew the Decade forms for Zi-O would look ridiculous, but I don't think I quite grasped how silly the belt would look with stacked ridewatches.

What a goofy thing. The complementation project was also very good.

Yeah I'm not digging the decade armor either. It sounds cool, but the armor is very bulky and very busy. And that helmet. The belts symmetry is ruined by using the expansion slot.

Cool special effects though.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/TokuNation/status/1074022795057684480

Oh worm?

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Darth TNT posted:

Yeah I'm not digging the decade armor either. It sounds cool, but the armor is very bulky and very busy. And that helmet. The belts symmetry is ruined by using the expansion slot.

Cool special effects though.

The suit itself definitely looks iffy, but I'm willing to withhold judgment a little bit on that. I'm mostly just commenting on how dumb the belt looks.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I'm really ambivalent on this latest episode and it's entirely because of something I know fully well I shouldn't complain about, the heavy toyetic aspect of Kamen Rider, especially the modern Kamen Rider. The entrance of Decade Armour is honestly a really bad fight that really misuses its new gimmicks in favour of just shoving in everything it can. Power-ups are staggered for a reason, if you add a bunch, none end up having an impact. This is felt hard here - Sougo gets a whole three forms in one episode plus a new weapon, causing none of them to feel unique or special. In fact, I couldn't tell you at all what's the difference between the base Decade Armour, and the Build and Ghost power-ups, since the latter are never allowed to show anything related to Build or Ghost, just to use the Heisaber with powers of other Riders, so it all blurs down to nothing.

I think cutting Build Sparkling and the Heisaber would've greatly helped. Decade Armour upgrading in the very same episode is inevitable since Another Ghost must be killed with the Ghost Ridewatch, and we can't let Geiz do it because that'd imply Geiz has a role other than getting massively owned in every second of his painful existence, but cutting the other two would greatly help the Grateful form show what it can do. Show us how it summons the fully-corporeal Parkas like the original Rider could, end it with a Final Attack Time Break so we can see the actual proper finisher of the form instead of a sword's. Keep the Heisaber for the next episode, after all, it's a good moment to introduce it seeing how it's the first episode disconnected from any previous Rider and it seems it'll have emotional impact, considering Sougo's words in the preview.

Contrasted to this, the three-Ghosts fight was much more enjoyable. It let them actually show all the stuff Ghost could do, and the fight between a bunch of Parka Ghosts was really neat. It also showed well just how much more powerful Tsukasa became, it's not just being able to use new Riders, the Gan Gan Saber and the Parka Ghosts would've needed Attack Ride cards before but now he can use those powers at will, only needing Kamen Ride and Final Attack Ride cards. It was also neat just seeing three copies of an existing Rider with very different looks going at it.

Outside of the fights, I feel Takeru was really well-used, far better than previous cameos by having him have an actual, important role in the arc, and only taking a step back for the final fight proper. And hey, he actually bounced well off Sougo, giving him a bit of personality that he desperately needed. I enjoyed having him on-screen, which isn't something I can say for the majority of Ghost itself.

14.5 was a lot less divisive for me, because goddamn those episodes are so good and this one's no exception. Magenta.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

King of Solomon posted:

The suit itself definitely looks iffy, but I'm willing to withhold judgment a little bit on that. I'm mostly just commenting on how dumb the belt looks.

Apologies.

I like how Makoto did the exact same thing he did in Ghost. As soon as Ghost was fighting his fighting- sense would tingle and he would show up from nowhere.

@blaze dragon. Currently it feels like Zio is the first Kamen rider where the toy heaviness is getting in the way of the action/story in the wrong way.
We always had some toy stuff (like strawberry lock seed or even further back the Duran booster from Kiva) that would just show up to sell a toy and then disappear. But it never really got in the way of the action or story.
Currently it feels little like the toys are bursting from the seams in Zio and occasionally interfering.

Darth TNT fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Dec 16, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

I'm hoping it's because they have a lot of ground to cover. I have to agree about the toyetic part though. It kind of bothered me a little when I noticed Sougo using the Build Armour first. I've got no sense of how good the Decade Armour actually is, or how much impact it has on the previous watches. The episode was still good fun though, and it's just made me more interested in Decade as a series, so I'm definitely doing that now. The 11.5 episode also really helped. His actor seems like a lot of fun.