Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

!Klams posted:

Everyone bangs on about Gloomhaven helper, but I swear, Gloomhaven Dungeon Master is just a billion jillion times better?

Its pretty, but wow does it waste a lot of screen. Only being able to display 4 monsters at a time is just awful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

!Klams posted:

Everyone bangs on about Gloomhaven helper, but I swear, Gloomhaven Dungeon Master is just a billion jillion times better?
No? It lacks the key functionality of (1) tracking player-side initiative and health/xp/conditions and (2) drawing the monster tactics and doing that math, too.

It also doesn't do the server/client thing.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

dwarf74 posted:

No? It lacks the key functionality of (1) tracking player-side initiative and health/xp/conditions and (2) drawing the monster tactics and doing that math, too.

It also doesn't do the server/client thing.

Oh, I find the 'tracking player-side initiative' thing on an app excruciating. There are only 4 of us and we only have one character each, it's really easy to see where we slots in between monsters, actually faffing around putting our initiatives up every round just feels like a massive hassle to me. I guess this is probably the key difference, and if you find it easier to put it up, I guess GHH would be better. I don't know what you mean about drawing the monster tactics though? It totally does that? And in a much cleaner (in my opinion) way.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

!Klams posted:

Oh, I find the 'tracking player-side initiative' thing on an app excruciating. There are only 4 of us and we only have one character each, it's really easy to see where we slots in between monsters, actually faffing around putting our initiatives up every round just feels like a massive hassle to me. I guess this is probably the key difference, and if you find it easier to put it up, I guess GHH would be better. I don't know what you mean about drawing the monster tactics though? It totally does that? And in a much cleaner (in my opinion) way.
Oh I just found the action cards, sorta.

It's kinda clumsy. I don't like how it runs turns.

e: maybe it's just whatever you're used to but GH gives a good demarcation between turns. You go to the next round, and then the players put their own initiative in. And then the monsters are drawn in.

Yeah I mean it's better than some other programs, but there's no way in which this is as functional or user-friendly as GH.

dwarf74 fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Dec 15, 2018

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Fashionable Jorts posted:

Just completed quest number 12, and it was the most frustrating thing we've had to do.

12 is the worst scenario we've done in the game and nothing since has come close to how loving awful it is. Except for scenario 11.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/cephalofair/status/1074070008924422144?s=21

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
White Elephant indeed.

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

I am protector of the innocent! I am the light in the darkness! I am truth! Ally to good! Nightmare to you!

GH has an option where you just slide the players around instead of actually inputting initiative values.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Oozes were a mistake.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

We had a our first retirement tonight. I retired my Spellweaver and unlocked Sun. After doing a scenario with Sun... :stare: I really like it. I need to do a little research about what enhancements to gun for, etc, but it left a great impression on me. At level 3 it already felt much more poweful and useful in our group comp than my level 8 Spellweaver did.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
I only need to collect (I think) 7 coins to retire my Cragheart next session and unlock Three Spears. (Which I know nothing about beyond "real good")

Getting coins is hard as a Cragheart so I can't wait to frustrate the poo poo out of my fellow players and gently caress off looting while they kill the monsters.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

LMAO

Agrias120 posted:

We had a our first retirement tonight. I retired my Spellweaver and unlocked Sun. After doing a scenario with Sun... :stare: I really like it. I need to do a little research about what enhancements to gun for, etc, but it left a great impression on me. At level 3 it already felt much more poweful and useful in our group comp than my level 8 Spellweaver did.

Sun: Pretty much everyone will tell you to save up 100 gold to add +1 shield to the bottom of Defensive Stance. It's not mandatory or anything but it's hilariously powerful and one of the most cost effective enhancements in the entire game. Get Boots of Striding and always take cards with good bottom moves to compensate for the movement reduction and then just bonk people in the dome with your shiny hammer. Always be the door opener with your fastest initiative cards. Have fun not caring what's on the other side of any door.

Elephant Ambush fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Dec 16, 2018

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
Unlocked Eclipse Why even bother playing the game?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Another option for Sun for boots is (Prosperity 4) Comfortable Shoes, since they make your default bottom action move 3 (before Defensive Stance).

Reik posted:

Unlocked Eclipse Why even bother playing the game?
Eclipse reminds me of Triforce, for several reasons: (spoilers for both) both rely a lot on planning several turns ahead for combos, and have non-loss executes that break the game.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Our Eclipse spends every scenario never ever getting attacked, and killing whatever the biggest elite monster is on the map every few turns. It's not exactly a thrilling class. Not even on the few turns where he's not invisible, because he's also packing (event reward spoiler)a Flea-Bitten Shawl.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Mine is only level 5 so I can't yet chain invisibility for that long or execute elites. It's pretty well balanced at this point, but I'm only 14 XP off getting my level 6 execute and I haven't done my solo scenario next either.

Tonight Eclipse and Sun knocked over 59 for Sun's personal quest. We were both quite tired and one or two things got mulliganed. Also after drawing the same city event 3 times in a row we did an extra reshuffle of the deck and drew the same loving event. So we mulliganed that too. Closing in on 50 scenarios in the game and we're not too interested in yet another bar fight.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Eclipse looks like one of those characters that is really fun to play but maybe not so fun to be in a party with. I played one in my solo campaign and it was pretty fun, but I can see how what they do might fall flat with the rest of the party.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
My party didn't mind my Eclipse being around. Being able to reliably kill Flame Demons and other annoying monsters was a welcome addition to the team

Though I did shelve him for a Two Minis, who I just recently retired.

I'm hyped to play Saw.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

!Klams posted:

That's what we've been using. It seems super good so far.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler
The other 3 players in my group consistently refuse to donate to the Great Oak. Very frustrating.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

LongDarkNight posted:

The other 3 players in my group consistently refuse to donate to the Great Oak. Very frustrating.

Look man, items and enhancements are expensive.

Also hi thread, I'm the one who thinks angry face sucks to play, fite me nerds.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
Any ausgoons got storage suggestions?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

LongDarkNight posted:

I got accused of being a "tree hugger."

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Cassa posted:

Any ausgoons got storage suggestions?

I did YASS via a fishing equipment website. Going to Bunnings or getting jewellery / craft storage boxes is another option.

Folded Space has reasonable shipping to Australia if you want an actual insert.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler

Corbeau posted:

Look man, items and enhancements are expensive.

Also hi thread, I'm the one who thinks angry face sucks to play, fite me nerds.

We're at prosperity 5 and have been for a while. Can't get new items if you don't tithe.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Enhancements are not a loving spoiler.

They are in the loving rulebook.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
I'm considering running a cooperative Let's Play of Gloomhaven on the forums and I'd like this thread's input on a key component.

The idea is:
- have each player take charge of a single hero for a full adventure, allowing and encouraging full thread suggestions/discussion;
- after each adventure is completed, the next X players get in charge of the heroes;
- have full thread participation for each town/road event, town management, adventure choice, upgrade selection, etc;
- minor conditional variables are acceptable when submitting orders (IE: use action A on X; if it's dead already, use it on Y instead).
I would run the game at a +1 difficulty, since the heroes have full knowledge of what each other is doing at the very least.

I thought about how to handle enemies and I have 2 options I would like some input on:
1) Have the enemies always go last, in their own order of initiative, after every player action for that round; the players don't know which ability card the enemies are going to play for that round, but they have full knowledge of their own position and action outcome at the end of their actions.
PRO: easy to manage.
CONS: risk of "alpha strike" if several different groups of enemies are present; less close to the real game experience.
2) Resolve the round normally, but reveal the enemies ability card for that round to the players. Knowing their own initiative for the round, the players can expect an outcome for the enemies abilities and act accordingly.
PRO: more similar to the real game flow.
CONS: the planning on the players side has to be even more complex/consistent, or their orders may become illegal.

Which option would you recommend? I'm also open to other suggestions to allow asynchronous gameplay.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
So given how many people mess up the scenario level rules, I made a quick thing, but I am not sure it's much easier to read due to how the table body is an input rather than the expected output.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

That Italian Guy posted:

I'm considering running a cooperative Let's Play of Gloomhaven on the forums and I'd like this thread's input on a key component.

The idea is:
- have each player take charge of a single hero for a full adventure, allowing and encouraging full thread suggestions/discussion;
- after each adventure is completed, the next X players get in charge of the heroes;
- have full thread participation for each town/road event, town management, adventure choice, upgrade selection, etc;
- minor conditional variables are acceptable when submitting orders (IE: use action A on X; if it's dead already, use it on Y instead).
I would run the game at a +1 difficulty, since the heroes have full knowledge of what each other is doing at the very least.

I thought about how to handle enemies and I have 2 options I would like some input on:
1) Have the enemies always go last, in their own order of initiative, after every player action for that round; the players don't know which ability card the enemies are going to play for that round, but they have full knowledge of their own position and action outcome at the end of their actions.
PRO: easy to manage.
CONS: risk of "alpha strike" if several different groups of enemies are present; less close to the real game experience.
2) Resolve the round normally, but reveal the enemies ability card for that round to the players. Knowing their own initiative for the round, the players can expect an outcome for the enemies abilities and act accordingly.
PRO: more similar to the real game flow.
CONS: the planning on the players side has to be even more complex/consistent, or their orders may become illegal.

Which option would you recommend? I'm also open to other suggestions to allow asynchronous gameplay.

Having monsters always go last will make any monster ability cards with shield or retaliate on it do nothing.

You could have the players submit their two cards as well as which top and bottom to use and in which order, and then resolve their turn as if they were using monster/summon AI.

For instance, a level 1 Brute could submit:
Initiative: Provoking Roar
Bottom: Grab and Go
Top: Provoking Roar

And then we resolve their turn as if they were a monster that drew the ability card:
Initiative 10
Move 4
Attack 2 Disarm

You could let them put in those basic if-thens like
Top- Leaping Cleave
Bottom- If no adjacent enemies, use Spare Dagger Bottom as Move 2, else Spare Dagger bottom as printed.

Having players resolve as if they were using monster AI could also force players to use cards or items they wouldn't normally use, as certain cards such as Balanced Measures wouldn't be as powerful under monster AI. You'd have to let players prioritize looting or opening doors as monster AI doesn't account for those. For example, if they played:

Top-Leaping Cleave
Bottom- If no adjacent enemies, use Spare Dagger Bottom as Move 2 (Loot), else Spare Dagger bottom as printed.

Then if there were no adjacent enemies, they would Move 2, but instead of focusing on an enemy, they focus on a hex with coins or treasure in it.

And if they did:

Top-Leaping Cleave
Bottom- If no adjacent enemies, use Spare Dagger Bottom as Move 2 (Door), else Spare Dagger bottom as printed.

Then if there were no adjacent enemies, they would Move 2, but instead of focusing on an enemy, they focus on the nearest unopened door.

Reik fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Dec 18, 2018

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Reik posted:

Having monsters always go last will make any monster ability card with shield or retaliate on it do nothing.

You're right, of course.

That said, I'm afraid having the players action resolve through the basic monster AI could make the game _too hard_ for the players, but a "soft" version of said AI could work - allowing the players to pick a preferred target and a preferred final location for their movement.

I would still prefer a system that guarantees the players some level of knowledge about the enemies actions, as this would make it more interesting for player and thread participation. A combination of option 2 from my previous post, mixed with some kind of player AI (with preferred target/movement spot) could work!

Something like:
Initiative from card X
Top card X
Bottom card Y
Preferred target: A, if dead B
Preferred movement location: xN, if impossible yN

A solid system for contingencies is probably going to make or break the game though - as it has to be decent enough to avoid player frustration with missed actions, while still being simple enough for no one involved to go insane.

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Dec 18, 2018

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

why do you need players to know what the enemies are going to do, more than they would with the rules as written?

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

homullus posted:

why do you need players to know what the enemies are going to do, more than they would with the rules as written?

Two reasons:
1) A player can adapt and use the opposite top/bottom effects (or just part of them) to react to an unexpected monster action, but that's not possible in a world where all the input from the players has to come upfront, unless we want to go into a 50 line contingency order format. Having to stick (mostly) to a preselected course of action, I would like for the players to be able to make informed choices instead of going in "blind".
2) Better thread participation/theorycrafting: having more information should lead to a more interactive planning phase. I'm afraid having to account for every possible scenario "blind" could be a bit overwhelming and lead less experience players to be just passive observers.

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Dec 18, 2018

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

That Italian Guy posted:

2) Better thread participation/theorycrafting: having more information should lead to a more interactive planning phase. I'm afraid having to account for every possible scenario "blind" could be a bit overwhelming and lead less experience players to be just passive observers.
I think you'll see the opposite. Knowing the monsters' move in advance will collapse the decision-making tree to the point where you won't need much input or interaction, because it will be a solved problem. You've removed most of the uncertainty.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
All of this seems very complicated. Why not

1) Players post their cards (adjusting difficulty +1 due to communication as noted)
2) Monster cards revealed
3) Players re-state their actions with more clarity and specificity in light of revealed cards as normal ("oh poo poo, I'm gonna use the top action of X instead")
4) round resolves accordingly.

It'll take two rounds of posting but I think the other discussed options above are waaay too complex and dumb. You're turning everyone in the party into (two minis spoiler) the Bear. Half the game or more is movement, that's what makes it a tactical game.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

On the one hand, I can see why you'd want to streamline things to make the thread go smoothly, but the game you're proposing is not Gloomhaven.

Just have everyone submit their action cards ahead of time. When you start resolving the round, you can pause until the first player is present and go from there.

Having an Action Queue worked really well for the PbP games of BSG.

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

dwarf74 posted:

Enhancements are not a loving spoiler.

They are in the loving rulebook.

Woah, Spoil that! Not everyone knows that there’s a rulebook.

(Ok, maybe that applies mainly to some of the questions on BGG and not here, but some of the newbie experiences I see make me cringe a little)

I also really like the idea of doing a gloomhaven LP thread. Based on trad games D&D experience in the past, I’d say the approach of picking cards and setting your planned action and a simple contingency should work well 90% of the time, but with an option like “hey, I’m planning on going before the cultists and doing X, but if that doesn’t happen I’d like to post and change my action”. That should hit a pretty nice balance of keeping things moving and not having people feel like they’re wasting turns if they don’t plan perfectly. It’ll also probably depend a lot on the classes though, because someone like a spellweaver may have more complex decisions with element use etc than a brute with an always be punching stuff strategy.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

That Italian Guy posted:

Two reasons:
1) A player can adapt and use the opposite top/bottom effects (or just part of them) to react to an unexpected monster action, but that's not possible in a world where all the input from the players has to come upfront, unless we want to go into a 50 line contingency order format. Having to stick (mostly) to a preselected course of action, I would like for the players to be able to make informed choices instead of going in "blind".

I think the answer is pretty obviously that you should run the turns as they appear in the rules, with people submitting their card choices and leading card info to you, you revealing their initiative counts alongside the monster initiative count and combat AI, and then having people take their turns. Any savings you foresee in executing their turns with pre-planned actions is more than lost in that pre-planning stage and in the obvious side effects of your rule changes.

How is thread participation lessened by the game RAW? The spectator input comes when the cards are revealed and people need to make the best of the cards that were chosen and the evolving situation.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

EDIT:

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

All of this seems very complicated. Why not

1) Players post their cards (adjusting difficulty +1 due to communication as noted)
2) Monster cards revealed
3) Players re-state their actions with more clarity and specificity in light of revealed cards as normal ("oh poo poo, I'm gonna use the top action of X instead")
4) round resolves accordingly.

It'll take two rounds of posting but I think the other discussed options above are waaay too complex and dumb. You're turning everyone in the party into (two minis spoiler) the Bear. Half the game or more is movement, that's what makes it a tactical game.

This sounds like a very sensible solution. It definitely keeps it closer to the source as well. Only thing I'm afraid of is how to keep a consistent update schedule if someone misses their turn/part of their turn :suicide:

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Dec 18, 2018

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Yeah gotta agree with Hieronymous. I get that play by post is famously hairy when trying to get people to post in a timely fashion when it's their turn, and doubling that could create some real logistical issues. But all these compromises sound like you're severely messing with the intended design of the game. Knowing monster abilities before picking cards will lead to a steamroll that is also less fun, just pick the most optimal cards for the exact situation and never have to worry about adapting on the fly. Screwing with intended order likewise doesn't make things quite as automatic since there could still be late round super moves from monsters, but makes the game significantly easier by removing shielding/retaliate/early round plan spoilers. And taking an kind of autonomy from the players is just a non-starter because the opposite will happen and best intentions will turn into a slapstick comedy (like, every non-attack action like healing will move a player into melee with a monster if you use those rules!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

That Italian Guy posted:

EDIT:

This sounds like a very sensible solution. It definitely keeps it closer to the source as well. Only thing I'm afraid of is how to keep a consistent update schedule if someone misses their turn/part of their turn :suicide:

You might not be able to get each full round done in a single day, but it should be a very reasonable goal to aim for.

One round a day is pretty fast by PbP standard.