Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spacewolf
May 19, 2014
Requesting prayers. I found out Thursday that I have a fast growing cataract that needs surgery. It's in the one eye I see with, and because I am a high risk case due to retinal detachment in both eyes as a baby, there's a good chance that, if the surgery doesn't go spectacularly for me, I could go blind - just for a different reason (a retinal tear versus the cataract).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
--question about medical information moved to PMs--

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Dec 15, 2018

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Good luck Jcdent and Spacewolf.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

JcDent posted:

Also, I've watched that gif way too many times. It's mesmerizing.
the cat may be playing, but it also knows exactly where the neck is

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
Seen on a Lutheran church sign today:

"Baby God do do dododo do"

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
A bumper sticker I ran across on the way out of Wal-Mart:

"Do you follow Jesus this closely?"

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Keromaru5 posted:

A bumper sticker I ran across on the way out of Wal-Mart:

"Do you follow Jesus this closely?"

...There's two very different meanings one could take from that, and I have no idea which is meant.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pretty sure it's a snide comment aimed at tailgaters.

Which... if you're gonna be snide with your bumper stickers, be snide with style.

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

Got some sad news today - the oldest member of our congregation, and one of our founding members, died last night in her sleep. She was 95, and grew up as a Jewish lesbian in Dusseldorf in the 1930s. She was hardcore as hell, and advocated relentlessly for refugees and for LGBT Jews. She was still sharp as an axe right up to the end - she was teaching me Hebrew not six months ago. זיכרונה לברכה - may her memory be a blessing.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Liquid Communism posted:

Really leaning into the Incarnation, I see.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 16 days!
Someone want to give a go at what modern Deism looks like?

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

HEY GUNS posted:

the cat may be playing, but it also knows exactly where the neck is

I like that one moment where the cat is on the neck and using its body as a pendulum to slam the baby down. It looks like a wrestling move.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Grem posted:

Someone want to give a go at what modern Deism looks like?

This thread is mostly about organized, liturgical flavors of Christianity. I'm sure that several of our posters could give you some info on historical and modern deist thought, but I think it might be hard to say what modern deism "looks like" because it's far from a coherent, organized belief system.

That's not to discourage your question, I'm just not really sure what you're asking, and I'm not familiar with any modern schools of thought that strongly identify with deism. My understanding is that it was big a couple hundred years ago but is pretty nebulous and not terribly popular today.

edit: i mean, we could talk about catastrophism vs. uniformitarianism if you like, that's kind of related?

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Dec 18, 2018

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 16 days!

Pellisworth posted:

This thread is mostly about organized, liturgical flavors of Christianity. I'm sure that several of our posters could give you some info on historical and modern deist thought, but I think it might be hard to say what modern deism "looks like" because it's far from a coherent, organized belief system.

That's not to discourage your question, I'm just not really sure what you're asking, and I'm not familiar with any modern schools of thought that strongly identify with deism. My understanding is that it was big a couple hundred years ago but is pretty nebulous and not terribly popular today.

edit: i mean, we could talk about catastrophism vs. uniformitarianism if you like, that's kind of related?

Huh, ok. I really kind of thought it would be popular today. I'm taking a theology class for funsies and a lot of the syllabus is on deism. Must be the professor's pet interest or something.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Grem posted:

Huh, ok. I really kind of thought it would be popular today. I'm taking a theology class for funsies and a lot of the syllabus is on deism. Must be the professor's pet interest or something.

Well, deism was famously pretty popular among the American Founding Fathers so if the professor specializes in early American or British history around that time that might explain things. It seems kind of a weird topic to spend a lot of time on in a basic theology course, though.

I'm not aware of it being a popular idea today. It sort of fits in with agnosticism but I don't think there's a significant modern deist movement. For deism as a strongly-held theological belief you probably need to look back in history a century or two.

edit: it's not that deism is extinct, it's just not a major thing in the last century or so.

edit2: I guess the Intelligent Design crowd could include some people that are vaguely deist but intelligent design got demolished pretty hard by scientific advances in the 90s and 00s

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Dec 18, 2018

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

pidan fucked around with this message at 12:06 on Dec 19, 2019

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

StashAugustine posted:

Anyone have recommendations for 'international' (meaning non-US) Christmas themed food (for a potluck)?

homemade liver pate, roast pig and gravy, kale salads and pickled kale, duck are all super tasty and staples of a Danish christmas. User "Dane" had an amazing thread on Danish christmas food once, which unfortunately seems to have disappeared from the forums.

But seriously, can't go wrong with the pigge, pate and gravy on potatoes.

E: I just made my own christmas liver pate (christmas means you put cloves in it), and it is kicking rad. However, the slurry of blended innards from two different pigs and a chicken (and four anchovies) suddenly gaining malevolent sentience and burping out of my food processor at me has reaffirmed my belief in evil.

Tias fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Dec 18, 2018

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
fecking hell, i need to make chopped liver again (the american word for liver pate)

edit: livers, cook them, let them cool. A SHITLOAD of fat (you can use lard or butter but the traditional way to do it in the US is with chicken fat because in the US, this recipe is Jewish). Put it all in a food processor with spices of your choice and lots of caramelized onions.

spread on bread and eat with pickles on the side.

kind of like this but i don't use the crackling because i don't render my own chicken fat, i put way more onions in mine, and this woman puts eggs in hers, which: ??????>???
https://toriavey.com/toris-kitchen/chopped-liver/
"Nutrition Information: Why Are You Even Here. You Know What We're About."

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Dec 18, 2018

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

I think a fairly modern deism type philosophy would be the panentheistic process Theism. It doesn't ask for much out of believers in a way reminiscent of deism.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
So thanks to Tias I'm making chopped liver tonight, and speaking of translation influencing what we feel about something:

"pate on baguette toasts with cornichons" :france:
"leberwurst on brot with guerken" :godwinning: and
"chopped liver on rye with pickles" :jewish:

are the exact same food

Tias, whenever I'm feeling like making something exceptionally dense and sweet, I add chestnuts to my chopped liver. Something for you to think about maybe?

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Dec 18, 2018

Tias
May 25, 2008

Glad you're liverposting :whatup:

Well, I make traditional Danish yuletide leverpostej which isn't just chopped liver, but also smoked lard, allspice, anchovies and other stuff, and it's tangy and sweet too. Thanks for the recommendation though, nuts go well in most things.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
Chestnuts aren't like most nuts! They cook up into a soft texture and you can easily blend them into paste. They are more carb-heavy than fatty like other nuts.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Oh and of course I top it with my mothers pickled red beets :aaaaa:

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Tias posted:

Oh and of course I top it with my mothers pickled red beets :aaaaa:

!!!!!!

I topped mine with Vietnamese pickled carrots/radishes, p deece

Mr Enderby
Mar 28, 2015

Grem posted:

Honestly I'm not sure classical deism makes sense any more. It was based on a lot of teleological arguments that have just become more abstracted as we get a better understanding of the history of the universe. You can still believe in a distant creator deity, but a God who made trees and mountains is a lot more relatable than a God who made strong nuclear force and gravity.

PrinceRandom posted:

I think a fairly modern deism type philosophy would be the panentheistic process Theism. It doesn't ask for much out of believers in a way reminiscent of deism.

Yeah, there's stuff like this. Or moralistic theraputic deism. But they are much more emotive and imminent than classical deism, which was basically seeing God as sort of hypothesised fundamental force who was only perceivable through our observations of the natural world.

Here's an article some of you may enjoy about occultism among anglo-catholics: https://www.churchtimes.co.uk/articles/2018/14-december/features/features/on-the-wings-of-the-dawn-the-lure-of-the-occult

And completely off topic, I've just come back from a walking holiday on Dartmoor, and I know at least some of you will enjoy some (bad) pictures of feral ponies I took.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
Those ponies are adorably stout and round

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
HI FAT BUDDIES

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Somewhere, Kate Beaton is smiling.

Mr Enderby
Mar 28, 2015

I don't know why it isn't the UK tourism board's biggest selling point. "We have like ten completely different kinds of fat little ponies which live up hills and don't take poo poo from anyone".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mountain_and_moorland_pony_breeds

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
HELLO FAT FRIEEEEEEEENDS :neckbeard:

they're even called m&ms :neckbeard:

Jedi425
Dec 6, 2002

THOU ART THEE ART THOU STICK YOUR HAND IN THE TV DO IT DO IT DO IT

Liquid Communism posted:

I'd pay like 5 invisible fun bucks for a picture of that to show my kid. He's obsessed with that song.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Jedi425 posted:

I'd pay like 5 invisible fun bucks for a picture of that to show my kid. He's obsessed with that song.

I'll snap a shot on the way home this morning if it's still up.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

Mr Enderby posted:

feral ponies

The only thing that sounds more ridiculous than "feral pony" would be "dire pony"

BattyKiara
Mar 17, 2009
Growing up biscuits was my Christmas treat. Granny made a lot of different types, my favourite was always the lemon and nuts kind. not quite as sweet as the other types, but so tasty.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

JcDent posted:

The only thing that sounds more ridiculous than "feral pony" would be "dire pony"
is that not just these dudes

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

BattyKiara posted:

Growing up biscuits was my Christmas treat. Granny made a lot of different types, my favourite was always the lemon and nuts kind. not quite as sweet as the other types, but so tasty.

recipes!?

also how you doing? we're here for you

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

pidan fucked around with this message at 12:06 on Dec 19, 2019

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

My old professors just finished sending my last few letters of rec and the trial of application times is over now. Thank you all for your support. Knowing someone is praying for you really does help with the anxiety.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

pidan posted:

We have so many different Christmas biscuits / cookies but I don't like any of them.
then give them to meeeeeeee
i could live happily on Lebkuchen for the rest of my life (non-frosted please)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Night10194 posted:

My old professors just finished sending my last few letters of rec and the trial of application times is over now. Thank you all for your support. Knowing someone is praying for you really does help with the anxiety.
Lord have mercy!

I'm where you are, just exiting not entering. It's hard.