Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.
Why isn't beastars more talked about? it's a great manga
romance, murder and high school hijinks/puberty: its got everything!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
It's in a shonen mag. Still really good though. And finally getting officially localized!

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.
but its got sex and murder and stuff!

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i just assumed people saw the sexy rabbit and got scared off from discussing it. i need to go back now that i'm sure scans have made progress, and maybe it'll be in the new Shonen Jump membership anyway.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Wild Horses posted:

but its got sex and murder and stuff!

So do many other shonen manga!

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I read anime school years Blacksad.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

MonsieurChoc posted:

I read anime school years Blacksad.

Seriously though, Blacksad is loving amazing and EVERYONE should read it.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

dogsicle posted:

i just assumed people saw the sexy rabbit and got scared off from discussing it. i need to go back now that i'm sure scans have made progress, and maybe it'll be in the new Shonen Jump membership anyway.
It's really good. The ultimate resolution of one of the main plots is kinda...eh IMO but Legosi's grandpa rules.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
usogui has a group finally translating it and not releasing 2 chapters a year. i only got up to around chapter 100 but its finished in japan and was good from what i remember

https://mangadex.org/title/646

HMS Beagle
Feb 13, 2009

New episode of Cat Detective, Poison Lover is up.

https://mangadex.org/chapter/498246/1

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Usogui is extremely good for anyone who doesnt' read it and may be put off by the fact its a gambling manga

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010

New chapter of the best Yak--

Alright I'm sorry gosh, new chapter of the most hosed up man in the world romance.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

It's been a long journey but Dorohedoro finally ends.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Holy poo poo it actually ended

Finally, it's time to marathon Dorohedoro

Edit lmao last chapter literally came out today, love catching up on the thread

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Jose posted:

Usogui is extremely good for anyone who doesnt' read it and may be put off by the fact its a gambling manga

Hello did you say GAMBLING MANGA

I miss Gambling Fish being stupid in a good way, like cutting off your finger to win a bet

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Dorohedoro good.

Something does feel inconsistent. I feel like either some things didn't work out as planned, in terms of plot beats and explanations, or they didn't have time to properly flesh out everything. Either way, a lot of explaining got crammed into the final final moments. You'd hope they'd breadcrumb more throughout the story as a whole, but here they didn't seem to be able to. Either that, or they didn't think of the answers to the riddles until the final final moment. And to imagine, it was going to end even quicker. How would that even have looked like?

I like how they did tease here and there that the two infamous not-couples could turn into totally-couples and yet at the end everyone is no more or less friends than before. Are shippers now in a frenzy? I don't know and I'm not going to check. It's funny to imagine though. :v:

With that all said, DoroheDoro doesn't lose one bit of its unique personality even during the final moments. It remains as odd, charming and gory all the way through. I'm glad it exists and I got to read it all. I hope she(author) keeps on going in this fashion. :)

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
I was disappointed there wasn't a "what we learned" summary.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Yeah, it doesn't feel like a proper ending without one.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
We do learn one thing though, Hole is still alive.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
And also adorable

ugusername
Jul 5, 2013

Mraagvpeine posted:

We do learn one thing though, Hole is still alive.

Yeah, it's such a big plot hook for a sequel about child Chidaruma and Hole adventures, that I would be really surprised if nothing popped out in a year or two. I'm really hyped at the very least.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

ugusername posted:

Yeah, it's such a big plot hook for a sequel about child Chidaruma and Hole adventures, that I would be really surprised if nothing popped out in a year or two. I'm really hyped at the very least.

I like how uneven the wagers were. All the mage-turned-devils (which means most if not all but Chidaruma) lose their powers and die, or Chidaruma temporarily loses his powers to experience how bad non-immortals have it. But it makes sense given how Chidaruma is more or less their creator and wouldn't make such a wager for anything less. Still hilarious though.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

ugusername posted:

I honestly don't get how that's a sequel hook, to me it's more just showing that they get their just punishment or whatever.
I got to admit that while I liked the series, I pretty much fell of it when the scale blew up, looking for the guy in Kaiman's mouth and exploring the messed up world was a much more interesting story hook than preventing the world from ending or w/e. It's a problem I have with a lot of series actually, where they do the personal stuff well but always have to try and to the big scale stuff instead, a lot of the time making the previous more interesting stuff feel meaningless or like some kind of tax they have to pay to get to the "real stuff" where I just lose interest. It reminds me of how American superhero comics always have to interrupt all their interesting stuff with long boring company wide crossover events about the world ending, except in manga it doesn't seem like it's company mandated.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
it super sucks that Stravaganza keeps getting dropped by whoever picks it up, but another chapter finally got translated. Whole lotta T&A in the beginning before getting to the meat of the story, and boy howdy, Olavie is just the fuckin' best isn't she. She's gonna get murdered by the leader guy, isn't she :smith:
https://mangadex.org/chapter/502738

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010

Double update to Poison Taster, apparently this catches us up to the raws.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
I'm fairly confused about the baby-swapping theory. I get that Jinshi is secretly Aaduo's son, but it says he was swapped with the empress dowager's son, who would be his uncle, so...he's believed to be the current emperor's much younger brother, but is actually the oldest prince?

Sindai fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Dec 25, 2018

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Sindai posted:

I'm fairly confused about the baby-swapping theory. I get that Jinshi is secretly Aaduo's son, but it says he was swapped with the empress dowager's son, who would be his uncle, so...he's believed to be the current emperor's much younger brother, but is actually the oldest prince?
He would be the oldest Prince but if he's actually a eunuch he's not valid for succession.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
At this point I'd be pretty surprised if he's actually a eunuch.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I mean so would I.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Okay, so what the hell is happening to Maoyuu Maoyu Yuusha? Bookwalker was trucking along and apparently dropped it. It's been completed for, apparently, a decent while now. I found smatterings that Yen Press picked it up, but there's nothing on their site about it, and I just want to read the last two volumes god drat it

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

No clue. There's been absolutely no word on it.

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010

Poison Taster with an extremely cute update to end the year.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Very good chapter :3:. The last frame was basically quintessential mao mao

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

LibrarianCroaker posted:

Poison Taster with an extremely cute update to end the year.

i live for this poo poo

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Captain Invictus posted:

Okay, so what the hell is happening to Maoyuu Maoyu Yuusha? Bookwalker was trucking along and apparently dropped it. It's been completed for, apparently, a decent while now. I found smatterings that Yen Press picked it up, but there's nothing on their site about it, and I just want to read the last two volumes god drat it

I'd assume Yen Press dropped it (or at least stopped temporarily) when Mamare got busted for tax evasion. Log Horizon also had quite a bit of a hiatus.
He seems to be out of the doghouse now, though, he published a new volume some months ago.

Kyte fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Jan 2, 2019

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010
Today on Very Hungry Girlfriend

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

I swear to god, I find the weirdest fuckin manga coming in this thread.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
It's a good weird manga tho

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I'm not sure if it was linked in this thread and where I got it in the first place, but https://mangadex.org/title/22801/raise-wa-tanin-ga-ii is real unsettling, but funny, and intriguing, has a decently "goofy" yakuza setting while getting real fuckin real at a moment's notice. But the more I read of it, the more I kind of want to stop, because man this main dude is purestrain stalker psychopath.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010

Captain Invictus posted:

I'm not sure if it was linked in this thread and where I got it in the first place, but https://mangadex.org/title/22801/raise-wa-tanin-ga-ii is real unsettling, but funny, and intriguing, has a decently "goofy" yakuza setting while getting real fuckin real at a moment's notice. But the more I read of it, the more I kind of want to stop, because man this main dude is purestrain stalker psychopath.

This is basically perfect.