Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
i have 4 meetings this month

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
Ugh I moved to a leadership position and I feel lucky when I have less than 4 a day.

Or when I at least don't have any after the time I usually leave. People don't seem to realize my schedule is always open after 4 because I usually leave then.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

wilderthanmild posted:

Ugh I moved to a leadership position and I feel lucky when I have less than 4 a day.

Or when I at least don't have any after the time I usually leave. People don't seem to realize my schedule is always open after 4 because I usually leave then.

Block your calendar with something. We have a po who has to get her kid and has her calendar blacked out from 4 on so no one tries to hold her.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

wilderthanmild posted:

Setup up a meeting for yourself after 4. If you set it to private other people won't be able to see who is in it or what its for. Blocking off a few hours a day for "meetings" that were between me and my IDE was the only way I got anything done a few jobs back. Most guides on how to learn to be a good leader suggest blocking off a few hours a week that way so you can study how to manage which is where I learned the trick.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
I forgot about that nice trick. I did it at my last job but forgot to make it cover the whole evening so people would schedule meetings at 5 when I was "free" after it.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
I need to block out 1:00 to 1:01 so people stop loving scheduling poo poo right as lunch ends.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

CPColin posted:

I need to block out 1:00 to 1:01 so people stop loving scheduling poo poo right as lunch ends.

Schedule a 15 minute private meeting and let people guess.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

CPColin posted:

At my job, nearly every dev's 13:00 - 13:30 time is blocked for an after-lunch outdoors stroll. It clears the mind.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
Schedule it for pooping. Cleanse your mind and your colon.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner
I saw some slides the other day that included blocking out 'wfw' meetings in order to get any time to work from work.

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

I've asserted dominance at every job I've had by never showing up to status meetings.

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

Captain Cappy posted:

I've asserted dominance at every job I've had by never showing up to status meetings.

i have a scrum at 9 am every day. I used to optimize for getting to work roughly on time over calling into the meeting, but it turned out that going "yesterday I worked on this bug, today I'll work on that bug" over the phone and showing up to the office at 10:30 is more desirable than physically showing up to the office at 9:05 but not going to the meeting.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

wilderthanmild posted:

I forgot about that nice trick. I did it at my last job but forgot to make it cover the whole evening so people would schedule meetings at 5 when I was "free" after it.

Reschedule for 6am, tell them that they're not being a team player if they complain

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Volmarias posted:

Reschedule for 6am, tell them that they're not being a team player if they complain

That’s what I would do. And point out in person that if you want an hour after core hours I’m going to decline and suggest an hour before instead.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice
I don't have meetings. My boss just starts talking at me about whatever thing he was thinking about whenever he feels the urge so I completely lose my train of thought on what I was working on *and* completely miss the first bit of whatever he said.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Lumpy posted:

I don't have meetings. My boss just starts talking at me about whatever thing he was thinking about whenever he feels the urge so I completely lose my train of thought on what I was working on *and* completely miss the first bit of whatever he said.

Sounds to me like you need a new boss.

New boss will be worse than the old one in new and unexpected ways

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Volguus posted:

Sounds to me like you need a new boss.

New boss will be worse than the old one in new and unexpected ways

All in all, he's a pretty good boss. It's just that the company is two people: me and him, and we sit in the same room, and when he's not trying to drum up investors / business, he has nothing to do since he doesn't know anything (practical) about technology....

qsvui
Aug 23, 2003
some crazy thing
sounds like he's got it made

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

My new workplace is an unmitigated disaster. The most horrific tangled up code base I have ever seen in my life. It uses no less than 5 dependency managers in a Javascript ecosystem, several homebrew "caching" dependency setups (its literally just library code copied into a private host that copies itself every time you run a build). Literally several dozen copies of public libraries with minor adjustments (no attempts were made to PR these changes back to the source) sitting in the code base right alongside the product code. And all of that is just the beginning.

Of course, like any terrible workplace, everyone works directly off of master all the time. They don't even make feature branches or PR's, just straight off master, the only branches that get used a sprint branches: they last 3 weeks, and literally everyone works directly off of them. In my first 3 days I saw the CTO make a merge between master and a sprint branch and literally resolve all conflicts with "pick own", resulting in a deletion of a week's worth of work from my coworker. When I brought this up he didn't comment. I had to redo my coworkers work because he got put on another task.

Today, our PM said "alright, nobody commit to master, I have a demo to run this afternoon, I don't want anything to break" :psyduck:

I used this as an opportunity to advocate for the absolutely bog standard git branching model that we all know, to which the CTO said to me, verbatim: "a frequently broken master is often desirable", because... It helps find bugs faster. :psyboom:

There is no hope of salvaging my sanity

Taffer fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Dec 14, 2018

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Taffer posted:

"a frequently broken master is often desirable"

Sounds like a mandate!

I just now got an email from the remote dev, the only other developer, who has all the institutional knowledge, about that issue from yesterday that our PM hijacked their own meeting over. I'd replied to the email thread saying it seemed like a backend problem, so I wasn't sure how the other dev's suggestion to change something in the frontend could help. They replied that, surprise, there's multiple issues going on and the one they were talking about can be solved via a frontend change!

Well gently caress you, other dev; your initial reply didn't mention that there were multiple issues at all!

This person routinely gets everything wrong and only catches it when I reply, "Uh, that doesn't sound right. Are you sure?" Real great quality in a remote coworker who has limited hours and is currently nine hours ahead of us!

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

:rip:

Savings Clown
May 7, 2007

We all float down here

Taffer posted:

I saw the CTO make a merge between master and a sprint branch and literally resolve all conflicts with "pick own", resulting in a deletion of a week's worth of work from my coworker.

Did he delete the branch too? It must have been recoverable somewhere.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

wilderthanmild posted:

I had a check-in meeting with my manager’s manager the other day and the little I saw of her day was terrifying. She was back to back on her webex and double booked also, so people kept popping in to our meeting and getting rescheduled. And she works across three time zones (at least) so i figure half of it was her fault for telling people times in the wrong time zone.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

Savings Clown posted:

Did he delete the branch too? It must have been recoverable somewhere.

On TFS at least this is 100% reversible. I assume the same is true of all source control.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

If he merged, the history is there, it's just you need to take the time to actually fix things up.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Volmarias posted:

If he merged, the history is there, it's just you need to take the time to actually fix things up.

Yeah it was this. But by the time I had discovered the error there had been enough diversion that it was easier to restore the lost code by hand than redo a bunch of history. The point wasn't that this was an unfixable error, just that it was an incredibly obvious and amateur mistake made by the CTO without him noticing. That's the kind of thing you're supposed to figure out and then never do again after your first couple weeks of git.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Taffer posted:

Yeah it was this. But by the time I had discovered the error there had been enough diversion that it was easier to restore the lost code by hand than redo a bunch of history. The point wasn't that this was an unfixable error, just that it was an incredibly obvious and amateur mistake made by the CTO without him noticing. That's the kind of thing you're supposed to figure out and then never do again after your first couple weeks of git.

It's so basic its hard to even view it as a mistake. Git and most compatible merge tools give you plenty of warnings which you have to go out of your way to override. It's hard to view it as anything less malicious than deliberate negligence.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

LLSix posted:

It's so basic its hard to even view it as a mistake. Git and most compatible merge tools give you plenty of warnings which you have to go out of your way to override. It's hard to view it as anything less malicious than deliberate negligence.

I think that's the point he's making about his team.

return0
Apr 11, 2007
Working on master is actually cool and good, and preferable to long lived feature branches.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
It's hard to imagine that's how virtually everything got done under svn hegemony

AskYourself
May 23, 2005
Donut is for Homer as Asking yourself is to ...

return0 posted:

Working on master is actually cool and good, and preferable to long lived feature branches.

Well... If you can manage to not pollute your codebase with thousands of features flags... Maybe...

That or you do release-branching.

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008
We have a procedure for removing feature flags after they've been working well in production for a month or so.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Doom Mathematic posted:

We have a procedure for removing feature flags after they've been working well in production for a month or so.

I’ve been hoping to find a way to automate this or something cause our flags are starting to build up and I will absolutely forget about them at some point.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Pollyanna posted:

I’ve been hoping to find a way to automate this or something cause our flags are starting to build up and I will absolutely forget about them at some point.

When you introduce a feature flag, you should create a PBI/user story/whatever in your backlog to "remove feature flag for X". Feature flags are intentional technical debt. Treat them accordingly.

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008

Pollyanna posted:

In our case removing feature flags isn't something which can be automated. A flag causes code to run down a different path, and the entire old code path has to be removed (along with all tests for it) before the flag itself can safely be removed.

New Yorp New Yorp posted:

When you introduce a feature flag, you should create a PBI/user story/whatever in your backlog to "remove feature flag for X". Feature flags are intentional technical debt. Treat them accordingly.

We do something very much like this.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Put all feature flags into an enum and have an expiration date field in there that a weekly cron job checks and emails the CTO when a feature flag hangs around too long.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

What are your doing removing feature flags when we're two weeks late delivering this feature we promised to the client!!!

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

CPColin posted:

Put all feature flags into an enum and have an expiration date field in there that a weekly cron job checks and emails the CTO when a feature flag hangs around too long.

poo poo, we basically have a lookup table of system-wide parameters that more or less enable or disable features. I should add this expiration date field. I'm already working on the big tech debt project of cleaning up COM dependencies (most of which we are finding are completely unused, dangling references) so clearly, someone needs a weekly reminder.

Maybe if I compile some kind of useless periodic data report nobody will read, then management will back this idea...

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I had a (supposedly) senior dev on my team tell me today to just fix up his pull request because its "wasting too much [his] time" to figure it out.
I've spent the last few days walking him through a ticket that would've maybe taken an hour or two for me to write in spite of the fact that I am the dev lead for three teams and spend most of my time in meetings and basically with a mandate to not write critical path code.
I don't understand how developers can have this attitude and thrive in the professional world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

I don't understand how developers can have this attitude and thrive in the professional world.

He has that attitude because it has worked for him in the past. In some organizations, it's easy to get other people to do your work for you and fly under the radar.