Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

What the hell is wrong with you people?
Any tips on making bread on the stove? I'm ovenless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Totally Reasonable
Jan 8, 2008

aaag mirrors

The most common solution to the no-oven bread problem where I grew up was frybread, which is chemically leavened, deep fried dough. There are all sorts of flatbreads to explore though, like inerja and tortillas.

If you mean standard sandwich-shaped loaves, no, that does not happen on a stove.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

roti is really easy and very tasty. get a flat cast iron pan (no lip, ideally) and cook them on that. trick: as soon as you finish cooking one, rub some ghee on it to keep it nice and soft and add flavor

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

Ya I've been making basic roti like bread. I don't have a super thick bottomed pan so heat control has been kinda tricky.

Made fried bread in a wok, too. Good but goddamn greasy.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Tom Smykowski posted:

Ya I've been making basic roti like bread. I don't have a super thick bottomed pan so heat control has been kinda tricky.

Made fried bread in a wok, too. Good but goddamn greasy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i0foHjPVbP4

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

If I could I would

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Joy of Cooking has a recipe for stovetop cornbread (which is basically just a heavily leavened pancake anyway). Heat a greased pan on low, pour in your batter, cover, and cook on as low of heat your eye can manage. Then you literally just keep an eye on it.

I've never tried it and have no idea how long it would take, but I bet a box of jiffy wouldn't take longer than 20 minutes this way.

E: To this, Martha says once your top is firming up, "Invert onto the skillet cover; oil pan bottom again. Slide bread back into pan, and cook 5 minutes more, until dry and light brown." So maybe bottoms tend to burn before they crisp so you basically want to refry the bottom once you're mostly done? Worth a shot.

Huxley fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Dec 15, 2018

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

there's rice cooker bread

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Tried making swedish christmas bread according to this recipe:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEu396ekT8c

That guy has some special bread roller that I don't have, I think I could make one though, with the right router jig. But I had to use my meat pounding hammer instead.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Pham Nuwen posted:

I made a half recipe of this, but added rye flour to the final dough instead of wheat flour: https://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/extra-tangy-sourdough-bread-recipe

It came out ok, didn't rise vertically as much as I'd like but the crumb and flavor are fine.

I've made this recipe 4 times now (only once with rye) and the most recent one came out perfectly. They say to let the sponge sit out for 4 hours and then refrigerate overnight, but I've taken to just leaving it out all night. Then in the morning I mix in the rest of the flour and the salt, knead it a bit (sticky as hell this last time) and let it rise for about 4 hours. Then I shaped it and put it on a piece of parchment paper sitting on a cookie sheet w/ no sides, covered in oiled saran wrap. Preheat the oven with my pizza stone in there, and then I can just slide the parchment paper & dough right off the cookie sheet onto the stone. Pan of boiling water on the bottom shelf which I took out around 20 minutes. 25-30 minutes later, perfect 200 degree loaf.

I've previously had problems with the dough not sealing together underneath after I've gathered it into a ball, and with the top crust wanting to separate from the bread. I think the solution has been to shape the bread on a lightly oiled surface rather than using flour, and to not be quite as aggressive in the shaping process, which I think tended to overstretch the outer dough and make it separate.

It's still not particularly 'tangy' as advertised, but Carl's starter, while vigorous, doesn't seem to be a particularly strong-flavored one.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

His Divine Shadow posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEu396ekT8c

That guy has some special bread roller that I don't have, I think I could make one though, with the right router jig. But I had to use my meat pounding hammer instead.

oh man, you just reminded me that I have to try and make krumkake this year.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
Looking for quick input on something I'm going to try this weekend from other folks who do breads out of FWSY. Keep in mind I regularly make the Saturday and Overnight breads.

I picked up a pack of Bob's Redmill Spelt flour, and I want to try a variation on the Saturday breads using about 30% Spelt, 70% White Flour. Does 77% Water sound about right? Has anyone baked with Spelt before?

The White recipe is 72% hydration but I usually do 73% for best results, and the 75% Wheat recipe is 80%. Supposedly Spelt is pretty similar in absorption to Whole Wheat?

blixa
Jan 9, 2006

Kein bestandteil sein

Huh. I make vörtbröd every year but I've never seen it flat like that, just in loaf form. I guess people from that area of Sweden make their poo poo differently than where I'm from.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

blixa posted:

Huh. I make vörtbröd every year but I've never seen it flat like that, just in loaf form. I guess people from that area of Sweden make their poo poo differently than where I'm from.

Yeah it's why I was interested in trying this, looked so different to anything I had seen before. Apparently it's a Bohuslän thing according to the video.

blixa
Jan 9, 2006

Kein bestandteil sein

Yeah it's why I was interested in trying this, looked so different to anything I had seen before. Apparently it's a Bohuslän thing according to the video.

My grandma was from there, but I don't remember her making this particular type. Either way, looks good and I may have to try it now. Wonder if I can find one of those bread roller thingies in California or if I have to have my sister send me one :)

yoshesque
Dec 19, 2010

I took a break from bread making for about two months. Left my starter in the back of the fridge and never fed it until this weekend, where I made an explosive focaccia as well my best loaf yet.

There are too many different variables to figure out why I got such a crazy oven spring and ear, but I won’t complain. I just felt I had to share because I’m pretty happy with this one :)

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

That's some nice bread

blixa
Jan 9, 2006

Kein bestandteil sein
I also made some sourdough today. Not quite the same ear or spring as yoshesque above, but I'm happy with it. Delicious, too. 75% hydration, 20% whole wheat.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

This is my best cinnamon raisin to date. No artisan bread here, but a blend of a few recipes. Still troubleshooting the delamination.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

toplitzin posted:

This is my best cinnamon raisin to date. No artisan bread here, but a blend of a few recipes. Still troubleshooting the delamination.

That looks horrible. Send it to me for proper disposal.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

toplitzin posted:

I believe cook illustrated had some tips for the delamination issue. I would try to using clarified butter instead of whole butter to eliminate the water that could be turning to steam and causing the gap. I haven't made cinnamon swirl bread in ages, but that was a constant problem for me.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
Can y’all post some cross-sections (with scale if possible) of some examples of Forkish’s Saturday white bread recipe? I’ve made it 4 times now and each time I’ve felt the bread is too dense. Not sure if I’m actually doing anything wrong though, so I don’t want to change much in my process until then. FWIW, I have noticed that my dough consistently ends up warmer (~3-5*F) than specified after the final mix.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Tom Smykowski posted:

Any tips on making bread on the stove? I'm ovenless.

You can make some really good english muffins in a frying pan.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Lawnie posted:

Can y’all post some cross-sections (with scale if possible) of some examples of Forkish’s Saturday white bread recipe? I’ve made it 4 times now and each time I’ve felt the bread is too dense. Not sure if I’m actually doing anything wrong though, so I don’t want to change much in my process until then. FWIW, I have noticed that my dough consistently ends up warmer (~3-5*F) than specified after the final mix.

Pics of yours could help? There are a lot of of reasons that the bread wouldn't be as airy as you'd like. A badly calibrated oven could mess up the temperature and oven spring. Poor stretching and folding could make the gluten underdeveloped. Poor shaping could make it collapse in the oven, or fail to open up. Colder ambient temperature in your house could make it under-ferment. Not proofing for long enough would also make it under-ferment.

My first guess if you've done it four times would be that your yeast is expired/dead though. Or you're making it correctly, and you'd prefer a different recipe, probably a higher hydration one.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Infinite Karma posted:

My first guess if you've done it four times would be that your yeast is expired/dead though. Or you're making it correctly, and you'd prefer a different recipe, probably a higher hydration one.

If it's rising at all the yeast isn't dead, and if it's consistently a little slow you can just use a bit more (or replace it). The lesson here might be to stop using timers. Is it actually doubling/tripling in volume during (whatever the recipe says) during the first rise or are you moving on because it's time to move on? If it actually seems really active, overfermenting will eventually burst all the gluten bubbles, yielding a dense crumb (usually interspersed with cavernous air pockets). Again, if it's tripled in volume and it's early, move on with the recipe and next time use cooler water or put it in a cooler spot

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
Here’s what mine looks like:

Not a great picture, unfortunately. Oven is calibrated fine, I’ve got a thermometer in there. The yeast isn’t dead, as I’m getting quite a bit of rise during bulk fermentation and it was a new bag of Red Star yeast that’s only been in the fridge a couple months. Next time I’ll try to pay closer attention to the volume ratio before shaping. I’ve also noticed that the loaves are fully proofed according to the poke method in almost half the time specified.

Anyway, thanks for the suggestions. I might try using a larger container for mixing next time; it can be kind of tight trying to fold the dough in a 6qt cambro.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Do any of y'all have any tips for winter time? My oven can run at 95F so I use that to try to keep the dough around 75-80F during bulk (I check with a thermapen), but I'm always ending up with less oven spring than I'd get from loaves made when it's warmer. I generally proof overnight in the fridge so I don't think that's an issue.

umbrage
Sep 5, 2007

beast mode
Hey y'all, I just started making bread again after maybe a six-year hiatus, and I'm already suffering from analysis paralysis.

I have Bittman's (by way of Jeffery Steingarten (by way of Jim Lahey)) no-knead bread proofing for tonight, but I felt like the shaping steps were really onerous, so I found a more direct telling of Lahey's recipe here.

I'm going to do the simplified tuck-it-and-toss-it over gently pulling it into some square, but the instructions also differ wildly on temps. Anyone have opinions on whether I should go 500F and high rack, or 450 and lower?

I'm also frustrated that neither recipe mentioned slashing the loaf, but the second one made it pretty clear that the loose shaping would take care of that. If I followed Steingarten's lovely instructions I probably would have burned myself trying to slash it in the Dutch oven after putting it in with the folds down.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I've never found shaping no-knead to be particularly tough, coming from only really doing the bread from FWSY, but I can't even begin to imagine doing it without a banneton. Maybe this weekend I'll mix up the dough and instead just toss it in a greased loaf pan and see what happens when you bake it outside a dutch oven.

Forkish says, take your dough after it's big proof (5–16 hours depending on how much yeast you used), flour your workspace, pull out your dough, then fold it in on itself in 3 or 4 folds, basically pulling your floured bottom up over the top so now you have a fully floured ball you can handle. (Think of this move like if you wanted to fold an envelope from a square piece of paper, corners in to middle.)

Flip it seam side down and do a couple of tucking pulls to tighten up your ball, so you get a nice smooth surface on top and some ugly seam stuff underneath. Then you drop it ugly seam side down into your banneton. Everyone has their opinions on what to put on the banneton to keep the dough from sticking. I LOVE using corn meal, it is easier cleanup in your basket, gives your crust some extra texture, and does the non-stick job better than anything else I've tried.

After final proof, turn the whole thing out onto a piece of parchment paper, lift your ball by the sides of the paper into your dutch oven and bake at 450. In my oven at least, you don't get a lot of options with height, as the dutch oven is tall enough, it really can only fit on the bottom 2-3 rack levels anyway.

The ugly seam stuff will do the same job as scoring (because you really can't score this dough, it's way too wet), which is where this loaf gets its distinctive look and why none of your recipes mention scoring it.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Stringent posted:

Do any of y'all have any tips for winter time? My oven can run at 95F so I use that to try to keep the dough around 75-80F during bulk (I check with a thermapen), but I'm always ending up with less oven spring than I'd get from loaves made when it's warmer. I generally proof overnight in the fridge so I don't think that's an issue.

I try to do both bulk and secondary in the fridge in the winter as my place never gets above 60. A dough takes a minimum of 2 days and I use more starter to knock the primary/secondary to 12-24 hours each.

umbrage
Sep 5, 2007

beast mode

Huxley posted:

After final proof, turn the whole thing out onto a piece of parchment paper

Ah, that's a pro tip, thanks. I don't have a banneton (or the time to buy one before I bake tonight) so it's just getting a tea towel with a crap-ton of flour. Turning it out onto parchment instead of straight into the Dutch oven makes me less worried about that.

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

Stringent posted:

Have you tried being a better person?

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Tom Smykowski posted:

Have you tried being a better person?

How could I be better though?

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

Stringent posted:

How could I be better though?
I'm setting a good example for ya

BREADIT: stove top bread game been going well - turns out decent enough if its around 70% hydration and rolled out flat before dropped in the hot pan/pot/whatever. Going for higher hydration next time.

Tom Smykowski fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Dec 20, 2018

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
Has anyone had success proofing dough in an instant pot using the yogurt setting? It just occurred to me that it should work pretty perfectly as a proofing chamber.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Mikey Purp posted:

Has anyone had success proofing dough in an instant pot using the yogurt setting? It just occurred to me that it should work pretty perfectly as a proofing chamber.

Please do this and report back. This would be a game changer for me

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

w00tmonger posted:

Please do this and report back. This would be a game changer for me

That might be the clincher for me to actually get one if that works

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Yeah that's definitely a thing. You guys can google, tons of people are doing it

Totally Reasonable
Jan 8, 2008

aaag mirrors

I never thought of that either, and I've got 2 friggin' instant pots. This will change winter baking forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
Yup, I did it yesterday and can confirm it's a game changer. I did everything directly in the pot and had no issues. In addition to the temperature control, the volume markings on the inside of the pot and the timer on the outside make it amazingly simple to keep track of your proofing times and rising too.

Made two loaves of smoked rye: