Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I dig the art style, but hrm Team Ninja. Weary on this, but I hope it's good.

Buy a Switch, it's good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Yet another reason why I need to get a switch

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Yeah the graphics look kind of bad. But so long as they have a bunch of characters and alternate costumes and it's fun, I can get past that.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Waffleman_ posted:

It's Team Ninja

You say that like it's a bad thing.

Codependent Poster posted:

Yeah the graphics look kind of bad. But so long as they have a bunch of characters and alternate costumes and it's fun, I can get past that.

It's not like we're talking about the Wii here, the Switch isn't up to the PS4's standards but it can definitely look better than that. Wonder what's up.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Skwirl posted:

And mother-loving Lockjaw is in it.

Probably as a playable character, since I'm willing to bet everyone else in that picture is playable.

I wouldn't be too surprised if Lockjaw was a partner character for Crystal or something.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
It's not like the old Ultimate Alliance games were graphical powerhouses for their time either. They were OK looking. As long as it has similar feeling gameplay and the same deep cuts in terms of enemies, costumes, references and poo poo, could be good. Hopefully the F4 still get in even if they don't warrant being in a trailer these days.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
UA2 looks better than that now.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

It really doesn't.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqUjebUoKrM

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Yeah, it does, now.

New Wave Jose
Aug 20, 2008
FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK I just bought a PS4. I played the poo poo of X-men legend 1 and 2 and Ultimate alliance 1 and 2. I even have 2 copies of UA1 (ps2 and x-box 360). The gameplay is so simple yet so satisfying. You are just killing a bunch of mook with your favorite heroes. I don't see myself buying a switch right now. I'll probably play this in a couple of years then.

Monkey paw indeed.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Lurdiak posted:

You say that like it's a bad thing.

Metroid: Other M was loving terrible.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

Metroid: Other M was loving terrible.

Without them it would have been a lot worse. Sakamoto gets all the blame for Other M.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
I put my faith in the studio behind a dozen Dead or Alive games and Ninja Gaiden Z

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Team Ninja is mostly trash. Nioh was pretty good though.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Samuringa posted:

I put my faith in the studio behind a dozen Dead or Alive games and Ninja Gaiden Z

Ninja Gaiden Z was helmed by Keiji Inafune of Mighty No. 9 fame, put the blame on him.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Samuringa posted:

The Dead or Alive games problems tend not to be in the gameplay department

Team Ninja has their share of stinkers, but there are a fair share of liked titles in there too, like Nioh. I'd argue that this game has a better chance of being good under them than some random small-time team or whoever is left at Activision that has not been forcibly installed into the Call of Duty machine.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Samuringa posted:

DoA is real bad though.

Edit: Oh wait Ninja Gaiden Z. Okay we agree then.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Without them it would have been a lot worse. Sakamoto gets all the blame for Other M.

The gameplay was just as bad as the garbage excuse of a story that came with it.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

The gameplay was just as bad as the garbage excuse of a story that came with it.

And a big part of that was that Sakamoto insisted on the game being controlled with just the Wii Remote, but still wanting a 3D action game.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

There's not a single thing wrong with Other M that you can pin on Team Ninja, yeah. They tried so hard to make a game that wasn't a piece of poo poo and they were thwarted at every turn by an idiot.

Well maybe you can blame them for oversexualizing Samus in the opening cinematic but that's the least of that game's problems.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ninja Gaiden Z was primarily Spark Unlimited and Comcept.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Lurdiak posted:

There's not a single thing wrong with Other M that you can pin on Team Ninja, yeah. They tried so hard to make a game that wasn't a piece of poo poo and they were thwarted at every turn by an idiot.

Well maybe you can blame them for oversexualizing Samus in the opening cinematic but that's the least of that game's problems.

It’s also not fun to play.

Anyway they made like 12 DoAs which is the worst fighting game series besides Killer Instinct.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

A major factor in that is that they were specifically hamstrung and given specific instructions, up to and including not being allowed to use any control scheme but the NES-style controls. While their 3D action games haven't been perfect Other M is by far the standout in its flaws and most of them can be pointed to specific instructions given to them by the higher ups.

Based off most of their games (they've done at on Dynasty Warriors stuff too) you can expect a competent button-mashy beat 'em up with a lot of flash which... sounds about right for MAU?

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

Yeah, as much as I enjoyed the first two Ultimate Alliance games the fact that they got the Dynasty Warriors devs to make this just makes me wish we were getting Marvel Warriors instead

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

It's a bit disingenuous to call Team Ninja "the Dynasty Warrior devs" when their entire experience with the series is co-developing two licensed spinoffs. Omega Force is the main force behind the Warriors series.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Aphrodite posted:

Anyway they made like 12 DoAs which is the worst fighting game series besides Killer Instinct.

Well at least we know itll have the all important jiggle physics

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

Waffleman_ posted:

It's a bit disingenuous to call Team Ninja "the Dynasty Warrior devs" when their entire experience with the series is co-developing two licensed spinoffs. Omega Force is the main force behind the Warriors series.

Fine, guess that’s what I get for my only experience with the Warriors series those two games. It proves they’re good at making licensed ones at least

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Not exactly surprising but I'm pretty sure that in Into the Spider-Verse they included the PS4 costume in the scene where you see all the costumes Peter has made over the years.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Aphrodite posted:

Putting gratuitous fanservice aside, there's far worse fighting games than Dead or Alive now, since starting with Dead or Alive 5 Team Ninja has actually tried to make a proper fighting game besides making jiggle physics simulators and had the Virtua Fighter developers give advice to Team Ninja.

Like, I'd honestly say Dead Or Alive 5 is a better game than Street Fighter 5. Or Marvel vs Capcom Infinite.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
The lowest bar

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

muscles like this! posted:

Not exactly surprising but I'm pretty sure that in Into the Spider-Verse they included the PS4 costume in the scene where you see all the costumes Peter has made over the years.

There was one that was very similar, yes.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Isn't PS4 Spidey also in the new Spider-Verse event?

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Waffleman_ posted:

Isn't PS4 Spidey also in the new Spider-Verse event?

Yup, there's a panel where he gets to see the reality where Spider-Cop exists.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Putting gratuitous fanservice aside, there's far worse fighting games than Dead or Alive now, since starting with Dead or Alive 5 Team Ninja has actually tried to make a proper fighting game besides making jiggle physics simulators and had the Virtua Fighter developers give advice to Team Ninja.

Like, I'd honestly say Dead Or Alive 5 is a better game than Street Fighter 5. Or Marvel vs Capcom Infinite.

Eh, I could fight you on that. DOA5 is definitely where the series took a distinct swerve, since its original creator left, but it's also where the series turned into a massive lootbox for alternate costumes.

It's definitely got a less embarrassing story, but the gameplay is just about the same as it was.

(DOA in general, particularly with 5, does have that peculiar issue where, because it's so driven by fanservice, it's also got a large cast of female characters who are all allowed to be major presences and players in the overarching plot. DOA5's story mode passes the Bechdel test in the first five minutes.

(Compare it, for example, to Tekken 7's story mode, where basically, if you aren't related to Heihachi and male, you don't get to do poo poo. Even Kazumi has been dead for decades.)

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
DOA 2 was for some weird reason the first game I owned on a PS2. I've spent a lot of hours on that and have fond memories.
Sure, defense holding was kinda OP, the story was negligible and they really went out there with some of the alternate costumes, but it felt fun to play. Partly because some intricate animations and moves and partly because of the destructible environment and pretty scenery.

Then again, I haven't played any other game in the series.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

muscles like this! posted:

You mean any scene in the Spider-Cave? The Web? The... Nest...? (Where do spiders live?)

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
All this fighting game talk just makes me wish Sega would stop loving about* and make a VF6. I've never felt more glorious in a fighting game than wu-shuing the gently caress out of my Akira and Lion playing chums with Lei-Fei. Everything flowed so beautifully, I almost felt I really was a kung fu master schooling chumps while dressed in his underpants.

* Admittedly, that's been their business model for 30 years so why change now, etc

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Aphrodite posted:

There are so many awful anime fighters out there, and you dump on Killer Instinct.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Killer instinct has a killer soundtrack and just that makes it great

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
https://twitter.com/9_volt_/status/1075850762981396480