Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."

gently caress, am I really supposed to give a poo poo about CBC funding when they continue to keep this bigot on salary?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qkkl
Jul 1, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
You can't be racist against Americans.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Thanks Doug. https://twitter.com/TorontoStar/status/1074115653542526977?s=19

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
Wait, are you telling me a PC government is cutting services?

It's amazing watching the :qq:B-b-b-but they said they wouldn't cut any services:qq: coming from people who admittedly voted PCPO

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Dec 16, 2018

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I'm shocked, these people were truly blindsided by the PCs cutting funding to everything they can manage.

Awful CompSloth
Dec 15, 2018
Has anyone sort of mapped it out and realized that with the upcoming elections in the next few years a lot of the provinces are probably gonna keep becoming more right wing? In Ontario and Quebec the PC's and CAQ could very well win 2022, hard to say so early but it's not like they have a strong opposition. Alberta is probably going from NDP to UCP in 2019, Mantitoba and Saskatchewan probably aren't going NDP in 2020. For the Atlantic provinces it seems like the Nova Scotia liberals are gonna stay in power but they're pretty right wing, NB has a PC minority, could go either way if there's an early election, PEI could go green which would be neat but I don't know if they're one of those lovely green parties that are very centrist for some reason. Idk about NL though. BC I think will probably stay NDP in 2021 or if there's an early election. But anyway, doesn't seem like there's gonna be much progressive movement in terms of elections in the provinces in the next few years.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
There's not going to be progressive movement in Canada at all, most likely. This country has literally no left wing, it's not baseless complaining when we say that we're not going to have healthcare in a few decades.

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Awful CompSloth posted:

BC I think will probably stay NDP in 2021 or if there's an early election.

Despite the NDP doing almost nothing bad, that's rather bold when their opponents, running on a platform of "we're terrible, corrupt, have been pissing off everybody by running the place for 14 years, and hate you all unless you have oodles of offshore cash for us but hey, we're not the NDP!" very nearly won the election, winning more seats but being one shy of a majority.

Add a few broken promises, a minor scandal or two, and little details like way higher car insurance? That will be tough. At the very most it'll be a miracle second term like Glen Clark's that gets the NDP absolutely annihilated in the following election.

what happened
Dec 2, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo
Destroying hard earned home equity is going to get BC a Liberal government next election. Don't underestimate the levels of retrograde fygm Vancouverites will sink to in order to save their wealth.

Unless of course BC passes PR and it's really not looking good at this point.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

DynamicSloth posted:

gently caress, am I really supposed to give a poo poo about CBC funding when they continue to keep this bigot on salary?

The government should seriously just pay people to independently produce media. It’s either that or we replace the top like 5 layers of CBC personnel but I like my idea better

Juul-Whip fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Dec 16, 2018

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The question remains what will be left for the OPC to slash by the time the next provincial election happens. They haven't even been in power a full year yet and they look to be going for the land speed record in how fast they can turbofuck the province before they leave office and stick their successors with the cheque.

Awful CompSloth
Dec 15, 2018

what happened posted:

Destroying hard earned home equity is going to get BC a Liberal government next election. Don't underestimate the levels of retrograde fygm Vancouverites will sink to in order to save their wealth.

Unless of course BC passes PR and it's really not looking good at this point.

Yeah I was reading that the turnout is low, are that and the polls really saying that it's probably gonna lose?

Arcsquad12 posted:

The question remains what will be left for the OPC to slash by the time the next provincial election happens. They haven't even been in power a full year yet and they look to be going for the land speed record in how fast they can turbofuck the province before they leave office and stick their successors with the cheque.

Yeah and too bad the ONDP will probably somehow manage to get to third place again whether its the PC's or Liberals who end up winning.

Defenistrator
Mar 27, 2007
Ask me about my burritos
PCs - we'll cut all programs except the subsidies we give to rich people.

"GOTTA BALANCE THOSE BOOKS FOLKS" - Doug

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Awful CompSloth posted:

Yeah and too bad the ONDP will probably somehow manage to get to third place again whether its the PC's or Liberals who end up winning.

RAE DAYS
RAE DAYS
RAE DAYS
DAE RAYS
RAD YEAS

E:

https://twitter.com/DeanAndres1/status/1073435190805102592

HackensackBackpack fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Dec 16, 2018

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
MTADTA doesn't quite have the same ring to it

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

That is actually pretty funny IMO

Almost as good as the Totenkopf Septic Services

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

meanwhile, his number 2 son is putting up a sign saying "make alberta an inland ocean again"

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
They fired Brad Blair lmao

e: I misread and Blair voluntarily stepped aside while the investigation is ongoing. Still lmao.

Hand Knit fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Dec 16, 2018

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

For all the bitter tears over the cancellation of a French language university, I'd hoped to see more solidarity with indigenous groups over the cuts to the ICF, given that it was largely being developed as a way to preserve indigenous languages and their culture of oral history. Intersectionality and all that.

e: Also, lmao
https://twitter.com/PBethlenfalvy/status/1073969671764934657

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Dec 16, 2018

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

https://twitter.com/OmarMosleh/status/1074044765832802304?s=19

At first I thought this was a dude taking a wazz with two cops watching.

Mordecai
May 18, 2003

Known throughout the world! Chop people's head off to the ground! Angry eyes that frighten people! Dragon among humans, king of dragons... Manchurian Derp Deity, Ha Che'er.

Does 'racialized' actually mean anything in this context, or is it being used as the new 'ethnic' because people don't want to say non-white or minority for whatever reason?

Defenistrator
Mar 27, 2007
Ask me about my burritos

infernal machines posted:

For all the bitter tears over the cancellation of a French language university, I'd hoped to see more solidarity with indigenous groups over the cuts to the ICF, given that it was largely being developed as a way to preserve indigenous languages and their culture of oral history. Intersectionality and all that.

e: Also, lmao
https://twitter.com/PBethlenfalvy/status/1073969671764934657

Quebecois giving a poo poo about indigenous peoples ? What fairy tale world are you living in and how do I get in?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Mordecai posted:

Does 'racialized' actually mean anything in this context, or is it being used as the new 'ethnic' because people don't want to say non-white or minority for whatever reason?

Even based on your wiki link the term is directly applicable

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

Mordecai posted:

You don't see why people might prefer a neutral term that emphasizes the social construction of race instead of just defining half the population by the category of "not being white"?

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
It's just the currently en vogue way of saying "coloured" because "[visible] minority" as a euphemism for "coloured" has become problematic due to the valid objections that white europeans are themselves a minority in some urban areas.

As soon as everyone gets used to hearing it, it'll start getting distasteful because the most common usage will be deriding neighborhoods as bad places to live because they are "very racialized" because saying the current good word makes that sentiment totally non-racist.

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

Yeah, I don’t get the hate either. Racism isn’t A Thing because of any inherent differences between races, racism is A Thing because of how race is constructed and how people are treated differently because of that construction. It seems like a pretty good verbing of a noun to me.

Like, the issue isn’t the colour of your skin, the issue is how you’re treated based on the colour of your skin. I really don’t think that’s semantic navel-gazing, I think that’s an important distinction to linguistically make.

Stickarts fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Dec 16, 2018

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

James Baud posted:

It's just the currently en vogue way of saying "coloured" because "[visible] minority" as a euphemism for "coloured" has become problematic due to the valid objections that white europeans are themselves a minority in some urban areas.

As soon as everyone gets used to hearing it, it'll start getting distasteful because the most common usage will be deriding neighborhoods as bad places to live because they are "very racialized" because saying the current good word makes that sentiment totally non-racist.

It's explicitly not a euphemism for "coloured" because the premise is that white people are equally racialized and the term is intended to be more neutral. I guess you could say its kind of awkward the way "racialized youth" is used to refer to ethnic minority populations when white kids are equally "racialized" but nevertheless comparing it to the term coloured is really dumb. The entire point of the term "coloured" was to set it as different from the implicitly white default.

But even if your really uncharitable characterization were 100% accurate so what? I never get the weird resentment people have the victims of systemic racism feeling the need to semi-regularly update language since, surprise surprise, our very racist society causes words that are euphemistic for race to accumulate negative connotations over time. I mean, presumably you don't go around referring to dark skinned people as "coloured" so what exactly is your problem here?

Alternatively we could have a society where race, crime, poverty and "otherenss" don't tend to get conflated in the public mind but you know that might involve some deeper and more long term changes than we can pull off in the next few years so I guess until then maybe you're stuck having to update your vocabulary approximately once every decade or two.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8foDBekOYM

I declare a day of national mourning for Canada.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
He's mad because he doesn't actually think racism is a problem and that it's just a bunch of whining pussy leftists making up issues to be mad about.

The fact of the matter is that as long as a group is thought of as being less valuable or worthy than the majority, any term used to describe that group will end up with negative connotations over time. It's why we ended up settling on little people, because that's the term that was used for people with dwarfism when most people stopped making fun of them, and why nobody really knows what the proper term is for developmentally disabled people.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Grouchio posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8foDBekOYM

I declare a day of national mourning for Canada.

We already have one of those and I am not remembering our anniversary as Ed Balls Day.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Stickarts posted:

I’d say Canada’s cultural identity still pivots around nature to a large extent. I probably most successfully am subsumed into whatever Canadian Zeitgeist when I’m hiking through Boreal forest or shooting rapids in a canoe through the shield, or snowshoeing or ice fishing or whatever. Shinny on a pond. And whatever Canadiana Stompin’’ Tom and the Hip tap into, a large part of that is relations to the land. Almost makes you forget our origins as a Colonial ethnostate.

Not that this is some original analysis. I sound like some mediocre English lit professor from 1952, but I think there remains a lot of truth to it Of course, now a lot of it is steeped with nostalgia - which can obviously be dangerous. And there’s an irony in wrapping your identity in nature in a post-industrial society in 2019 where almost half of your country lives in one of three cities and most of the other half relies on increasingly tenuous modes of resource extraction for survival.

Yeah uh about that non-urban identity thing, 21 million people live in urban centers of 100k+ population, and 31.8 million live in cities/towns of 30k+ population (out of 36.26 million). You can debate whether those 30k-100k are truly urban or too isolated to qualify but it's really not sensible to say the Canadian identity is about nature when it's not really a part of daily life for the majority of the population.

On the unrelated topic of Canada being like the US but slightly better, there's a fun article in the NY Times about the mostly sociopathic work that McKinsey does in various oppressive regimes around the world. Unfortunately, between Canadian mining companies, selling weapons to Saudi Arabia and SNC-Lavalin building prisons in Libya, I'm not sure how much better we can claim to be.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
I think some of y'all are giving away a bit of internal bias to hate on Jagmeet this early. At least wait to see how he campaigns in Burnaby.

Like who cares about him taking too much pride in his appearance, his personality doesn't matter, only the policies he represents. Which could definitely be poo poo, he is the leader of the dippers after all. But unless I'm mistaken, they haven't put out their platform yet, have they?

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Blood Boils posted:

I think some of y'all are giving away a bit of internal bias to hate on Jagmeet this early. At least wait to see how he campaigns in Burnaby.

Like who cares about him taking too much pride in his appearance, his personality doesn't matter, only the policies he represents. Which could definitely be poo poo, he is the leader of the dippers after all. But unless I'm mistaken, they haven't put out their platform yet, have they?

He told us exactly what he stands for when he ran for leadership of the party in the first place, which is absolutely nothing. Why would anything be different now?

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

eXXon posted:

Yeah uh about that non-urban identity thing, 21 million people live in urban centers of 100k+ population, and 31.8 million live in cities/towns of 30k+ population (out of 36.26 million). You can debate whether those 30k-100k are truly urban or too isolated to qualify but it's really not sensible to say the Canadian identity is about nature when it's not really a part of daily life for the majority of the population.

On the unrelated topic of Canada being like the US but slightly better, there's a fun article in the NY Times about the mostly sociopathic work that McKinsey does in various oppressive regimes around the world. Unfortunately, between Canadian mining companies, selling weapons to Saudi Arabia and SNC-Lavalin building prisons in Libya, I'm not sure how much better we can claim to be.

I was trying to make the same point - that Canada's urbanisation over the past decades have greatly reduced the average Canadian's active connection to "nature" - with my "1/2 the country in 3 cities" bit. Just went for cute and oblique over explicit and precise.

And returning to that post for a second - Hand Knit - I liked what you had to say in response to it regarding myth-building. The most important step of the Canadian colonial project was physically removing what remained of Indigenous populations from the land (most already being dead from introduced diseases before ever setting eyes on a European). It is only in the absence of Indigenous peoples and Indigeneity as a realm of meaning/history that the settlers had both the proverbial and physical space needed to build their own mythologies.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

The new Stellaris update 2.2 introduced a hopeful new future for earth.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

ChairMaster posted:

He told us exactly what he stands for when he ran for leadership of the party in the first place, which is absolutely nothing. Why would anything be different now?

Yeah. He's the exact same sort of empty-suit, style over substance politician that Trudeau is. The only problem is Trudeau is better at it and also white, so Singh has no chance.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Baronjutter posted:

The new Stellaris update 2.2 introduced a hopeful new future for earth.

:canada:

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost
Pretty drat sure I'll never see a non white person as PM of Canada in my lifetime.

Maybe a white woman.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

We already had a white woman PM. Not for long, but it still counts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Facebook Aunt posted:

We already had a white woman PM. Not for long, but it still counts.

She never ran an election as the leader of the party though (except the one she lost). So we can't really claim to have "elected" a woman as PM yet.