Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is YISUN?
Mother
A lie we tell ourselves to have a purpose
Bliss
A paradox with no solution
Father
A strong female protagonist
The weakest thing there is and the smallest crawling thing
Creator
Everything in this miserable and hellish existence
A solution with no paradoxes
View Results

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

i will say it is tremendous fun to just roll with whatever stupid poo poo your players do. our group seems to have an unwritten rule that every session must end with the entire party and any NPCs in the vicinity getting drunk. which is, when you think about it, pretty in keeping with the setting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i wonder if demon flips the cart's customary exit strategy was inspired by the inevitable result of physically destroying an angels shell

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

paranoid randroid posted:

if you want to run a Broken Worlds campaign, the cross-sections of Ashton and the Shades in Seeker of Thrones will be of interest to you.

Oh don't worry, I've already downloaded those and am poring over them for ideas.

if you want to run a Broken Worlds campaign, the cross-sections of Ashton and the Shades in Seeker of Thrones will be of interest to you.

I've never run a PBTA system before (just D&D 3.5E + 4E), but I fell in love with it while listening to The Adventure Zone season 2 and reading the Dungeon World rules. My plan is to come up with a list of factions, people, places, a few hooks, and see where it goes. Although I'll probably set it outside of the Red City in a more rural-ish area to keep it manageable before setting them loose there. Not sure if it'll be another world or a more backwater place in Throne, but I intend for them to be guided to the city eventually.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Oh don't worry, I've already downloaded those and am poring over them for ideas.

I've never run a PBTA system before (just D&D 3.5E + 4E), but I fell in love with it while listening to The Adventure Zone season 2 and reading the Dungeon World rules. My plan is to come up with a list of factions, people, places, a few hooks, and see where it goes. Although I'll probably set it outside of the Red City in a more rural-ish area to keep it manageable before setting them loose there. Not sure if it'll be another world or a more backwater place in Throne, but I intend for them to be guided to the city eventually.

thats pretty much the approach ive taken. essentially i just gave my players a setting and asked them why they would be there, then let everything descend into chaos to see how they would adapt. our last session saw them getting into an airship battle over Outer Ashton because our Boss player had the temerity to say something like "at least there aren't air pirates," and our Hunger burned an advanced move that lets me gently caress him over whenever i choose a couple sessions back so im kind of biding my time until i can whip that out for maximum hilarity

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

thats pretty much the approach ive taken. essentially i just gave my players a setting and asked them why they would be there, then let everything descend into chaos to see how they would adapt. our last session saw them getting into an airship battle over Outer Ashton because our Boss player had the temerity to say something like "at least there aren't air pirates," and our Hunger burned an advanced move that lets me gently caress him over whenever i choose a couple sessions back so im kind of biding my time until i can whip that out for maximum hilarity

Oh, here's a general question - how did you introduce your players to the setting + generate interest in it? Assuming they didn't all already read the comic.

Beepity Boop
Nov 21, 2012

yay

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Oh, here's a general question - how did you introduce your players to the setting + generate interest in it? Assuming they didn't all already read the comic.

"Hey, nerds, I'm running a game. Want in?"

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

wait why is one of the fist art peoples holding a knife!

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Synthbuttrange posted:

wait why is one of the fist art peoples holding a knife!

Because knives are just sharp fists.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Hremsfeld posted:

"Hey, nerds, I'm running a game. Want in?"

basically this

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

I demand follow up story and reaction when "oh gently caress, there are air pirates!" happens. :allears:

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Thyrork posted:

I demand follow up story and reaction when "oh gently caress, there are air pirates!" happens. :allears:

I thought this was that story?

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Thyrork posted:

they fired the party Beggar out of a cannon into the pirate airship in a kind of ballistic boarding action to distract the crew while the Hunger quietly slipped around to the engine compartment and let the amorphous devils out of the engine and blew the ship in half

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
https://twitter.com/Orbitaldropkick/status/1074062644120903687

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Those are some choice angel names.

Their friends call then Ground and Sound.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Durr look at me I'm an angel. Angels dont smile bluh angels dont have gender!

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Synthbuttrange posted:

Durr look at me I'm an angel. Angels dont smile bluh angels dont have gender!

bluh bluh
huge hypocrite

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i love that vash has been present and conscious the entire time while these two flirt

do you think vash buys his way out of jail or just happens to outlive his sentences

animist
Aug 28, 2018

Tollymain posted:

i love that vash has been present and conscious the entire time while these two flirt

do you think vash buys his way out of jail or just happens to outlive his sentences

can you even give a life sentence to a demon

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

animist posted:

can you even give a life sentence to a demon

demon just means "shithead" so a human demon at least. Devils... would eventually degrade down to pale, you could do something based on that.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
besides, Vash isn't a proper devil anyway, he's a servant and they have some sort of life cycle

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Isn't it explicitly stated that humans were the only true mortals? Vash may be around for a long, long time.

e. Found it. Bottom of the page. "Humanity. Aesma's mistake, and the only true mortals."

Also, my angel name is 92 gently caress You And The Horse You Rode In On, Concordance of Thorns, original character do not steal.

rndmnmbr fucked around with this message at 12:28 on Dec 16, 2018

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
yeah vash is a goblin i.e. servant ergo immortal

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
Angles don't have the emotions. All this ideological civil war is based purely on differences of the logicals not any kind of strongly held emotionals. I'm very rational and intelligent.

Criticism me not or I will react with violence which is a common passtime among us beings of the purest logic.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Motherfucker posted:

Angles don't have the emotions. All this ideological civil war is based purely on differences of the logicals not any kind of strongly held emotionals. I'm very rational and intelligent.

Criticism me not or I will react with violence which is a common passtime among us beings of the purest logic.

tbf i can see "i have superior understanding of the great wheel, which i will prove now by beating the tar out of you" being considered a legit argument in throne

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Agean90 posted:

tbf i can see "i have superior understanding of the great wheel, which i will prove now by beating the tar out of you" being considered a legit argument in throne

in a world where understanding the nature of reality gives you the ability to alter it to your will, a strange epistemological principle manifests itself

"right makes might"

thus, the soundness of a metaphysical claim may be tested on the battlefield

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Vash is a goblin; and this tower isn't a jail. He's just going to sit in a cell for a few days before his trial. Then he may go to jail, or be released, or whatever. It's no longer our dynamic duo's business unless they decide to round out their brand of two-fisted street justice with some attorney-at-lawyering.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

If the law worked in Throne it wouldn't be such a shithole.

Raposa
Aug 4, 2007

That post went quite well, I think.
Allison's going to be all "...again?" And then unleash some Royal Judgement on Vash.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

CamelCamelCamel sent me a notice that the first volume of K6BD is only $9 now on Amazon. I think this is the lowest price, good for those who want to upgrade to the larger size.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Mr. Lobe posted:

in a world where understanding the nature of reality gives you the ability to alter it to your will, a strange epistemological principle manifests itself

"right makes might"

in short, all power flows from THESE GUNS *flexes enlightenedishly*

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Mr. Lobe posted:

"right makes might"

i just wanted to make known my appreciation for this post

it's a good post

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Motherfucker posted:

38 Criticize Me Not Or I Will React With Violence

Happy Underpants
Jul 23, 2007

Mr. Lobe posted:

"right makes might"

Huh, so Socrates can be dismisses and wrong about everything because of how easy it was for the Spartans to kill him. In throne that conflict would have ended with Socrates neatly de-gloving all comers via the Ante-Fist Principles of the Ungleamed House or something like that. That comparison has cemented Autie Maya as Throne-Diogenes in my mind, I am okay with this.

Edit: oh gently caress I just remembered Maya's teacher NM.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

"A man is capable of hunger of the black flame, in possession of reason, in possession of passion and capable of true death. [unsheathes sword] I find myself surrounded by many men today."

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Socrates was a famously crazy homeless man

So yeah in Throne he'd be terrifying

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

JT Jag posted:

That's Diogenes. Plato once called him "Socrates except insane" which is pretty high praise coming from Plato.

And as noted, Meti was Swords Diogenes, complete with living naked in an amphora.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

JT Jag posted:

You're thinking of Diogenes. Socrates was a professional stonemason and of the propertied class (we know this because one of the major incidents that survives is of him serving on a jury, which were restricted to men of means).

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

I think Plato would do fairly well in throne, him being an accomplished wrestler and all that

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

aristotle, though, would get halfway through defining "beginning" before getting thrown in a rubbish bin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Zeno strolls into the center of throne and declares that no man can truly be punched in the face, and attempts to prove this with maths. Several local toughs debate the logic of his paradox before settling by suplexing him through a table, bypassing it entirely