Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
EPICENTRE *makes jerk off motion*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I vote "racialized" my number one term of the last couple years that I won't be sad to see gone once it inevitably turns into an unspeakable derogatory slur itself.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

DERACIALIZE YOURSELF AND FACE TO BLOODSHED

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Birthright citizenship is definitely a good thing but there probably should be some way to prevent the system from being gamed.

~is pelted with insults, tomatoes for RACIALIZING~

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

priznat posted:

probably should be some way to prevent the system from being gamed

well we wouldn’t want to run out of citizenships

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Subjunctive posted:

well we wouldn’t want to run out of citizenships

They don't grow on trees ya know

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

citizenship is like currency, print to much and you devalue the whole lot

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
My citizenship equity!

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

HELOCs but for citizenship

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

"Why are we putting citizenship on the blockchain? Because it's 2020." -Justin Trudeau, 2020

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

infernal machines posted:

My citizenship equity!

I keep trying to explain to my bank that if I ever run short on cash I will just marry a wealthy foreigner in need of Canadian citizenship, but for some weird reason this isn't helping me secure a loan. This country is really backwards when it comes to leveraging citizenship equity and I'm sick of it.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

:canada: NSS weekend circular :canada:

So, Quebec is making political noise about wanting to build another supply ship for the RCN, which previously had two. As the Asterix, ordered as a stopgap by the conservatives, is a real outlier in Canada's Naval Shipbuilding adventures (being on time and on budget) the fed really really does not want to do this

Today in Parliament, the conservative leader Reinhard Scheer accused the liberals of playing politics :nallears: to which the liberals responded "no, you"

Of course, the Asterix is leased, the Harper government saw them as a stopgap till the NSS could churn out real replacements. So doing the same deal with Davie again is no problem. The issue here (and why the Liberals are acting like suggestions another be made are an angry swarm of bees attacking their head) is Irving and Seaspan don't want it. Of course, bear in mind the leasing thing - while Canada **could** say "huh I guess off the shelf really is good enough for supply ships" the government is really unlikely to do so, since that would cast doubt on if the NSS was best value etc. The fear here is that Davie could wedge its foot in the NSS door, and maybe, I dunno, compete with the other two shipyards for contracts if there were "areas" where work had to be faster or programs had fallen too far behind

The awful specter of "competition" and "other ways to do things aside from the NSS" is a fear the shipyards and the government share

Oh and the Vice Admiral Norman trial, the prosecution realized its case of "doing the bad thing" was too weak, so they've shifted to saying "Norman did inaprop things" citing a case of an officer in JTF2 (Canada's anti-terror fast reaction force) who used government trucks on his farm and got JTF personnel to work on his farm

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Canada has a navy?

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM

Canada has a navy?

they're to keep the foreign fishermen away

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

:argh: Portugal!

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

flakeloaf posted:

That's pretty rich coming from the guy who had a bunch of bitcoins and went on CBC radio to tell the old folks about amazing opportunities in bitcoin investing and how great an idea it was for others to invest in bitcoins.

lmao how many old people do you think actually figured out how to buy bitcoins

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

THC posted:

an acquaintance of mine, who is broke, bought four (4) GPUs for butt mining, 2 months ago, on credit :laffo:

oh my god lmao

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
At this point you have better luck speculating on the GPUs than the BTC

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

https://twitter.com/jkenney/status/1073996106504105985

EvidenceBasedQuack
Aug 15, 2015

A rock has no detectable opinion about gravity

https://www.nationalobserver.com/2018/11/13/news/guess-where-quebec-gets-its-oil

Hmmm... :thunk:

EvidenceBasedQuack
Aug 15, 2015

A rock has no detectable opinion about gravity
Also, I'll leave this here

http://progressivecanadian.ca/

:shepface:

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Stink Billyums posted:

they're to keep the foreign fishermen away

Also international treaties we're part of (mainly NATO and NORAD) not to mention basic bitch sovereignty means we need certain military capacities. These include being able to control ocean approaches and defending our own airspace. Since WW2 Canada has traditionally favored the navy over the army and the air force in spending, since we have a gigantic amount of coastline. This is also why the NSS has rolled forward despite its issues; if you're gonna have a navy, having the industrial capital and know-how to make and repair modern navy ships makes sense, as navies are a really long term thing

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

ah yes, canadian oil that has never been obtained through violence or coercion

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

The Archaic posted:

Bill 66. So long Green belt! Nice knowing you!

the weirdest thing about this is that nobody actually wants to develop the green belt but doug is SUPER INSISTENT on it

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Nebakenezzer posted:

Also international treaties we're part of (mainly NATO and NORAD) not to mention basic bitch sovereignty means we need certain military capacities. These include being able to control ocean approaches and defending our own airspace. Since WW2 Canada has traditionally favored the navy over the army and the air force in spending, since we have a gigantic amount of coastline. This is also why the NSS has rolled forward despite its issues; if you're gonna have a navy, having the industrial capital and know-how to make and repair modern navy ships makes sense, as navies are a really long term thing

Do we have a blue water Navy yet?

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Yinlock posted:

also Quebec gets like 80% of its oil products from Canada lol

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Yinlock posted:

the weirdest thing about this is that nobody actually wants to develop the green belt but doug is SUPER INSISTENT on it

cities dont want to but developers would LOVE to and we all know who the PCs actually serve

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

POOR IMPULSE CONTROL

he's just an excitable boy

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Yinlock posted:

I'm the alberta oil cowboy stepping all over BC trying to sell his barrel

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
https://twitter.com/PpcToronto/status/1073999297862098944

Is that supposed to be ... Hitler hair?

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

bring back old gbs posted:

I'm the alberta oil cowboy stepping all over BC trying to sell his barrel

it's the cleanest oil possible, that we have collected by wringing out dirt

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

also lol that the liberals hosed over p. much everyone to build this stupid pipeline but forgot the minor step of "who's actually going to buy this oil"

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Yinlock posted:

also lol that the liberals hosed over p. much everyone to build this stupid pipeline but forgot the minor step of "who's actually going to buy this oil"

dont forget that when they did the math to justify building the pipeline, they assumed that drastically increasing the supply of dilbit to east asia would result in the price for dilbit in east asia going up up up

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

vyelkin posted:

cities dont want to but developers would LOVE to and we all know who the PCs actually serve

The 905ers who voted him in will just love the new hordes of people living north of them commuting down

It's going to be sweet

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

vyelkin posted:

dont forget that when they did the math to justify building the pipeline, they assumed that drastically increasing the supply of dilbit to east asia would result in the price for dilbit in east asia going up up up

supply side economics has never failed once, except for every single time

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

vyelkin posted:

iirc even the developers don't really care

mostly because there's not enough waterfront for cottages

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Yinlock posted:

iirc even the developers don't really care

mostly because there's not enough waterfront for cottages

huh?

they've been crying over the inability to turn greenfield lands into endless 30" towns and semis for the last decade fifteen years. bill 66 didn't spring fully formed from the forehead of our idiot in chief, both developers and OREA (headed by the former PCPO leader) have been spending boatloads of cash lobbying for exactly this. there's been a concerted campaign to convince people that housing is unaffordable in the gta because they haven't been able to pave over every last acre between lake simcoe and niagara

infernal machines has issued a correction as of 16:29 on Dec 16, 2018

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

huh?

they've been crying over the inability to turn greenfield lands into endless 30" towns and semis for the last decade. bill 66 didn't spring fully formed from the forehead of our idiot in chief, both developers and OREA (headed by the former PCPO leader) have been spending boatloads of cash lobbying for exactly this.

oh right, I got developers and city planners mixed up because I haven't slept in way too long, my bad

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

I mean I know boomer priority 1 rn is destroying as much of the environment as possible before they die

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Just as millenial priority #1 should be destroying as many backhoes and front end loaders as possible before they boil