Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sunday at work
Apr 6, 2011

"Man is the animal that thinks something is wrong."

Beach Party posted:

So I'm on the last part of this week's challenges where as a squad you need to get 2 nuke kills and after 10+ kills I'm thinking maybe it only works if you are the one calling it in. Soooooo I feel dumb for asking but how the hell do you drop one? I hit LB+RB and move the stick up to highlight it.. but what do you do after that? Everything I try just brings me back to my weapon. I've tried hitting right trigger.. hitting left trigger.. hitting them both at the same time.. holding the triggers.. holding the bumpers in all sorts of combos. I just can't seem to figure it out. Sometimes it blacks out half the screen and sometimes it doesn't. Is there some trick to it?

You have to call it in for the challege.

To call it in hold both bumpers, press the right stick up and then let go of the bumpers. You'll now be holding binoculars, point them where you want to hit and pull the trigger.

You can't call in if one is already inbound.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Beach Party posted:

So I'm on the last part of this week's challenges where as a squad you need to get 2 nuke kills and after 10+ kills I'm thinking maybe it only works if you are the one calling it in. Soooooo I feel dumb for asking but how the hell do you drop one? I hit LB+RB and move the stick up to highlight it.. but what do you do after that? Everything I try just brings me back to my weapon. I've tried hitting right trigger.. hitting left trigger.. hitting them both at the same time.. holding the triggers.. holding the bumpers in all sorts of combos. I just can't seem to figure it out. Sometimes it blacks out half the screen and sometimes it doesn't. Is there some trick to it?

A) oftentimes there's someone else already calling one in and there's a global.. cool down? Type thing that locks you out

B) control wise You have to very, very deliberately release both trigger buttons while the stick is extremely pointing North. And then it'll bring up the binoculars and you have to aim down them and then pull the Fire trigger to select where to put it

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Beach Party posted:

Use the shoulder buttons to bring up the reinforcement wheel, then highlight the bomb, and then while it's highlighted, let go of the shoulder buttons.

It'll then bring up some binoculars for you to look through, and you paint the target, hit the fire button and in about 15-20 seconds that area will be destroyed.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

On that note, I finally managed to get a significant number of kills with the V-1 last night. The area between B and D on Rotterdam was swarming with enemies with a few minutes to go and I think I got somewhere in the neighborhood of 9 kills with it to satisfy that Tides of War requirement.

Such a satisfying feeling, those giant bombs taking out a third of the team.

Beach Party
May 2, 2012

"I took the most excellent hit of my life. Next thing I knew, I was on the beach taking in some cosmic rays gettin healed by mother nature. Takin in a little brewski, holdin on to a beautiful babe. And I'm fine today!"
Thanks you guys for the tips on calling the bomb in. I didn't realize there was a lockout if someone else was dropping one so I think that's where my problem was!

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Beach Party posted:

Thanks you guys for the tips on calling the bomb in. I didn't realize there was a lockout if someone else was dropping one so I think that's where my problem was!

Yeah, I believe that there will be a little rectangular timer bar in the bottom right portion of the screen (with the name of your faction's bomb model on it) that depletes itself, showing when you can call in another bomb.

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

Set up a community party if anyone is about.

Live At Five!
Feb 15, 2008
Finally got a V-1 called in an got a quad kill plus I destroyed a sturmtiger. Very satisfying.

I think I'm starting to get the hang of things and I've started having games like I used to in BF1. Part of that was just plopping a 3x on a Bren and unleashing hell. The Bren is a monster at pretty much any range.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

I've utterly maxed out the shotgun and hoooooooooooo boy this thing makes the BF1 12g automatic shotgun look like a peashooter.

GRUESOME, BLOODY DEATH AT MEDIUM TO CLOSE RANGE. Wider spread! Heavier buckshot! And 7 rounds in lieu of 5.

*chef finger kiss*

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
lmao at using a non-10-A shootgun in BF1 like how is the a 12g real like just turn ur monitor off

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I always hang back behind the line or engage at mid/long range (never sniping though gently caress that) should I try shotguns or at least getting closer than normal? Someone give me the primer on doing that and not dying every time.

Live At Five!
Feb 15, 2008

Kilometers Davis posted:

I always hang back behind the line or engage at mid/long range (never sniping though gently caress that) should I try shotguns or at least getting closer than normal? Someone give me the primer on doing that and not dying every time.

Use the drilling and do both

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Kilometers Davis posted:

If you are a primary 12g shotgun player, dispense with any pretense of having a good KDR, because the reward for shotgun play is just as high as the risk. You will die. A lot. But you will also roll up on 3-4 people, often, who don't know you're there, and proceed to remove their brains from their skulls in quick fashion. Their helmets also comically fly off when struck and make that satisfying PA-TING noise.

Ultimately though, it depends on what kind of player you are. If you're someone who runs into places first in the hopes of nabbing an objective, play with the automatic shotgun. There's a 50/50 chance of wiping out a bunch of people before some guy 20 feet behind you murders you dead. The thing with the shotgun is that it's perfect for close quarters and inside of buildings and barns, but God help you if you're running through a field and someone spots you at distance. You will almost certainly be killed.

But I cannot stress enough how great it feels to flank an objective, only to discover that there are a half dozen people facing away from you and then kill all of them. This is especially fantastic when dealing with prone snipers.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

bring back the BC2 slugs

WALLGOD
May 3, 2006
WALLS FOR THE WALLGOD

yellowcar posted:

bring back the BC2 slugs

Drilling is the closest we have so far. Tons of fun though!

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

GoGoGadget posted:

Do people not realize they can use the ability to hide to their advantage as well? Or do people genuinely feel that their enemies can see but they can't, so they're the only ones at a constant disadvantage? Sounds typical for FPS players.

yeah camping is a lot of fun

Raskolnikov2089 fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Dec 16, 2018

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

yeah camping is a lot of fun

yeah that's exactly what he said

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Man alive, this killcam is broken as poo poo. A split second camera smashcut to the person who killed you, who, 50% of the time, doesn't have the red blob around him or her, then straight to the respawn screen.

Sometimes I don't even get the benefit of a killcam. It just goes straight to the respawn screen.

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
Goddamn the Auto 12 straight deletes dudes up close omg. I ohk’d like 5 guys in a row. Anyone else on xb1 right now?

Live At Five!
Feb 15, 2008
I just read the PC BFV thread and literally everyone was complaining that the ttk changes have ruined the game. Personally I've had way more fun since the patch came out so I wonder if it's just the difference between PC and console. Reading comments about the Bren being garbage and then getting 50+ kills in a round with it are hard to reconcile. What do yall think about the changes?

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Live At Five! posted:

I just read the PC BFV thread and literally everyone was complaining that the ttk changes have ruined the game. Personally I've had way more fun since the patch came out so I wonder if it's just the difference between PC and console. Reading comments about the Bren being garbage and then getting 50+ kills in a round with it are hard to reconcile. What do yall think about the changes?

They're both affected and both communities by and large dislike the change.

Live At Five!
Feb 15, 2008

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

They're both affected and both communities by and large dislike the change.

Guess I'm a strange boy who likes bad things. Playing BFV post ttk patch was the first time I played the game without thinking that I'd have more fun playing BF1.

At this point I find the worst thing about BFV is the map selection. The only maps I like in BFV are Arras and Hamada. Most of the rest are mediocre (devastation, aerodrome, narvik, Rotterdam). Twisted steel and fjell can gently caress off forever, I'd rather play the worst release BF1 map (Sinai) than either of those turds.

Live At Five! fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Dec 16, 2018

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You definitely have different tastes, Hamada tends to be considered the worst map by some distance and everybody loves Twisted Steel

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I like all the maps for the most part and don’t mind the ttk changes either way. I actually like fjell a ton, maybe I’m a broken human. To be fair though I’ve mostly played pre change so I’m not totally familiar with the new setting yet.

I like BFV a lot it seems lol

Thanks for the close combat tips everyone. I’ll give it an honest bloodthirsty try!

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

BFV map tierlist (breakthrough, conquest is bad now)

Good Maps:
  • Twisted Steel
  • Arras

Mediocre Cities:
  • Devastation
  • Rotterdam

Only Fun for Vehicles:
  • Aerodome
  • Hamada

Snowy Bullshit:
  • Narvik
  • Fjell

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Live At Five! posted:

No, I'm on ps4, and I prefer the original ttk, and I'm still having those instances of multiple hits coming suspiciously close together hinting at ttd still being the real issue

sunday at work
Apr 6, 2011

"Man is the animal that thinks something is wrong."
New TTK sucks. Fights feel sluggish and dull. They whole industry has been moving to faster time to kill, more tactical games and that seemed to be where Dice was going with the whole attrition system.

And then this change, ostensibly to improve the experience of new players who were turned off by the fast TTK and apparently not by the bug ridden mess that is the rest of the game.

Sure Dice, my medic crate falls through the map every time I try to deploy it, any time I try to spawn with the Bren gun I get a message that I'm violating server rules, and it still takes two minutes to quit a match and get back to the menu, but yeah the fast TTK is what's driving people away.

sunday at work fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Dec 16, 2018

humpthewind
Jan 8, 2007

Noblest of all dogs is the hot-dog; it feeds the hand that bites it.
I had my best rounds ever with the new patch so it is cool and good to me. Went 46-11 mostly holding E with the squad on devastation or whatever bombed out Rotterdam is called.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
I want to know why a bayonet charge doesn't count as a melee kill.

I demand an explanation.

Beach Party
May 2, 2012

"I took the most excellent hit of my life. Next thing I knew, I was on the beach taking in some cosmic rays gettin healed by mother nature. Takin in a little brewski, holdin on to a beautiful babe. And I'm fine today!"
I honestly can't tell the difference between old ttk and the new ttk. I seem to die just as fast as before and seem to kill just as fast as I used to. I'm good with it being either way. Also who ever started the talk here about the Bren machine gun, thanks, this is my new favorite weapon in the game. It's like a big F.U. to anyone I kill. I can't see 25% of my screen due to the magazine but still was able to get your sorry rear end! Was able to go 46 and 9 with it on Arras which is a personal best for me on this game. :haw:

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Yeah I really can’t tell the difference so far. Game still seems fair to me overall and the pace is the same with slightly better choke point battles.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
Is it just me, or does the advanced search for multiplayer servers just not work? BFV PS4, and no matter what I search, I get 0 results, random matchmaking works fine.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0Kd_0eB1vY

longest i've stayed alive for one stretch, turned this game around and won

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGPr4gVvOHo

what it says on the tin lmao

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

How BFV plays, is basically the hardcore mode from BF4. No doritos, no radar, low ttk. That had his public, but is a minority.

Tei fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Dec 16, 2018

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

blugu64 posted:

Is it just me, or does the advanced search for multiplayer servers just not work? BFV PS4, and no matter what I search, I get 0 results, random matchmaking works fine.

Matchmaking applies to every server so the game will fill them up incredibly quickly especially as it prioritizes filling empty spots over making new games. It's rare to see anything come up on manual searches and if you see anything you won't be fast enough to select it

It's kind of a similar issue to SOS matches in Monster Hunter World, they get filled up so fast all you can do is spam and pray you got a lucky hit.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Matchmaking applies to every server so the game will fill them up incredibly quickly especially as it prioritizes filling empty spots over making new games. It's rare to see anything come up on manual searches and if you see anything you won't be fast enough to select it

It's kind of a similar issue to SOS matches in Monster Hunter World, they get filled up so fast all you can do is spam and pray you got a lucky hit.

Guess that makes sense. Just wish there were servers that picked specific maps, still haven't gotten a panzerstom game, and it looks fun.

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
Yeah I don’t have any issue with the new TTK. I’m in the camp that I can not tell the difference one way or the other. Also no issues with visibility. I wonder if the visibility issues are people who have their brightness turned all the way up. That will tend to wash everything out, and used to make guys stand out more, but maybe BFV was designed to nullify that (extremely dumb) advantage. Like the people that always make their games look like N64 graphics for that 10 FPS advantage. If DICE did set it up that way, it’s awesome, because those people suck rear end

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Julius CSAR posted:

I wonder if the visibility issues are people who have their brightness turned all the way up. That will tend to wash everything out, and used to make guys stand out more, but maybe BFV was designed to nullify that (extremely dumb) advantage. Like the people that always make their games look like N64 graphics for that 10 FPS advantage. If DICE did set it up that way, it’s awesome, because those people suck rear end

Battlefield PC gamer: set foliage to minimum and reduce all noise clutter; ideally the game will look like one of those untextured custom counterstrike maps

Battlefield Console gamer: crawling prone through the fields on Arras is loving sweet

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

Battlefield PC gamer: set foliage to minimum and reduce all noise clutter; ideally the game will look like one of those untextured custom counterstrike maps

Battlefield Console gamer: crawling prone through the fields on Arras is loving sweet

hell yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

lol this brings back memories