Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cainer
May 8, 2008
That reminds me, why the hell don't we have a Primarus Tech Marine model? I'd like to try making a Medusa or Iron Hands Primarus force but without the Bigmarine Techies it's just not cool enough. Maybe Tech Priests don't think the Primarus are worthy of such service or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mef989
Feb 6, 2007

Cainer posted:

That reminds me, why the hell don't we have a Primarus Tech Marine model? I'd like to try making a Medusa or Iron Hands Primarus force but without the Bigmarine Techies it's just not cool enough. Maybe Tech Priests don't think the Primarus are worthy of such service or something?

Primaris are apparently too dumb to drive Rhinos, do you want one repairing them?

Cainer
May 8, 2008

Mef989 posted:

Primaris are apparently too dumb to drive Rhinos, do you want one repairing them?

Oh dear, I hope Calgar is doing okay brain wise after his surgery.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

Cainer posted:

Oh dear, I hope Calgar is doing okay brain wise after his surgery.

RAW, he's completely forgotten how to get into anything but a Repulsor.

Dying several times in the space of a single surgery did a number on the grey matter.

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

I have posted in this thread a few times, but it has only been recently that I’ve honestly started to play the game thanks to kill team (and the Tempestus Scions)! I’ve only just started to paint the models I’ve assembled, but this is the first one that I feel is close to being passable - warts and all. Thanks for the idea of letting us post our forces, hopefully one day I’ll be a Big Deal Painter like the rest of yous!

Looks good. Remember that for the most part you're shooting for a table top standard of quality. It should look good when you're two feet away from it. If you take close up photos they'll look worse than the model looks in person.

NovemberMike fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Dec 16, 2018

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Spent all day hunched over the cutting mat:

I got glue fuckin' everywhere and now it's going to sit here in parts until I get a pin vise and magnets. This model is cool as poo poo though, so much going on.

Also finished up this pretty, good-smelling boy:

Gotta add a second layer of black to the edge once everything dries, and probably another layer of Nurgle's Rot to the hose drippings.

And I'll come back to the tank window someday when I know what the gently caress I'm doing.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Yeast posted:

I’ve read this three times and I still don’t understand what you’re saying.

I don't know why the post is so bad but basically Tabletop Tactics put out a video where Bone kept doing a variant of the "Roman salute". It wasn't clear if they were trying to be ironic and edgy or if he just didn't know what it was, I'm assuming Eifert is talking about the new video where they mention it.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Corrode posted:

I don't know why the post is so bad but basically Tabletop Tactics put out a video where Bone kept doing a variant of the "Roman salute". It wasn't clear if they were trying to be ironic and edgy or if he just didn't know what it was, I'm assuming Eifert is talking about the new video where they mention it.

I thought he was trying to do a power sword thing in that video since it was in response to somebody saying "power fist" and he did it later with both arms off to the side. What do they say about it in the new video?

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Kult of Speed out of the Vigilus book is going to be a blast.

Shame Bosses on bikes don't have the Speed Freeks keyword

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Inspector_666 posted:

I thought he was trying to do a power sword thing in that video since it was in response to somebody saying "power fist" and he did it later with both arms off to the side. What do they say about it in the new video?

They talk about the fist of power which is the thing Lawrence does before they do Seize the Initiative, and Bone just kind of goes "uhh yeah unlike the blade of power which has some unfortunate connotations we didn't expect, and won't be appearing again." I think they're a bit full of poo poo because I can't imagine someone sitting there and throwing out the particular salute he was doing and none of them going "that looks a bit Nazi" but whatever, if the end result is them going "my bad" and stopping doing it then that's 100000% better than I expect from ham celebrities.

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007
Is there a wiki or somewhere that I can get a short history of the factions? I only picked Death Guard because I thought they looked sweet but I'd like to know some of the lore.

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

DiggityDoink posted:

Is there a wiki or somewhere that I can get a short history of the factions? I only picked Death Guard because I thought they looked sweet but I'd like to know some of the lore.

http://warhammer40k.wikia.com/wiki/Warhammer_40k_Wiki

and GW's overview

https://warhammer40000.com/setting/explore-the-factions/

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

DiggityDoink posted:

Go hog wild http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Main_Page

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Corrode posted:

Ah thank you!

Badablack
Apr 17, 2018
I got a couple boxes of necromunda Delaque models to use as genestealer cult since they look so rad, but these guys are a lot taller than regular neophytes. I think I’m gonna build a squad of them to be hybrid acolytes or metamorphs and convert them to look like resident evil Tyrants. So big dudes in trenchcoats with monster arms. I could even give them bazookas as their demolition charges.

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

Am I wrong after having read in this thread that Tau are poo poo, to having read this and thinking the Tau are cool and humans are loving garbage?

Is it just a gameplay thing or do people have a problem with their lore?

Badablack
Apr 17, 2018
Some people have a problem with their lore, others take out their frustration with hour long overwatch phases on the fluff.

An important thing to remember is never to take anything anyone says online seriously, because making an effort when posting is the first and last step into garbageville, population one huge nerd.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

DiggityDoink posted:

Am I wrong after having read in this thread that Tau are poo poo, to having read this and thinking the Tau are cool and humans are loving garbage?

They're fine. Hating Tau fluff is mostly a meme.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

I love that sloshing effect you have going on there.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

DiggityDoink posted:

Everyone here is lately making GBS threads on Tau because they're miserable to play against. Their lore and models are pretty divisive on top of their tabletop presence. People call Tau communist space fish or w/e and talk about how they're the most utopian and optimistic but they're a rigid caste system with a immutable ruling caste and colonizers who enslave their conquests. Their society's biggest hero was a Tau species purist who rebelled against the Etherials not to dismantle the caste system but because he thought they were running it poorly. The fact they forcibly conscript their conquests is of debatable moral high ground vs the Imperium just murdering. YMMV on how much you like that lore but they're nearly as hosed up as the Imperium. Then they have historical baggage from people saying GW cynically added Gundams (they look more like the Macross Unseen IMO.)

I think they have really cool robots and wish they had a different perception currently.

mango sentinel fucked around with this message at 11:37 on Dec 16, 2018

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

DiggityDoink posted:

The first time they meaningfully experience the Warp as it really is they turn into genocidal monsters. There's really not a lot of hope to pull for them at this point.

And in a gaming sense they are the worst. Like they have exactly one meaningful way to play them and it's unfun for *both* sides of the equation. No matter who wins you won't be happy at the end. Christ you'd probably be happier trying to do a melee Guard build than play Tau. It combines to take away a lot of their luster, especially with Knights being a thing. Knights being the best giant robots to ever giant robot, so it's like....what even are you Tau?

ChrisAsmadi
Apr 19, 2007
:D

Mulva posted:

And in a gaming sense they are the worst. Like they have exactly one meaningful way to play them and it's unfun for *both* sides of the equation.

GW carrying the spirit of Bloodbowl Dwarves into the modern day.

Injuryprone
Sep 26, 2007

Speak up, there's something in my ear.

Maybe the reveal is the rest of the kill team faction starter boxes.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

I have posted in this thread a few times, but it has only been recently that I’ve honestly started to play the game thanks to kill team (and the Tempestus Scions)! I’ve only just started to paint the models I’ve assembled, but this is the first one that I feel is close to being passable - warts and all. Thanks for the idea of letting us post our forces, hopefully one day I’ll be a Big Deal Painter like the rest of yous!

This looks great. Remember; you're doing better than a huge portion of the player base by just painting something. Did you use a wash on the model?

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

Corrode posted:

Speech to text. :v:

Yeah, basically short dude kept doing a weird nazi looking salute thing, calling it the blade of power. I assumed it was from power rangers or dbz or some other aspect of nerdery I never got into, but I guess he made it up?

Zasze
Apr 29, 2009

Eifert Posting posted:

Speech to text. :v:

Yeah, basically short dude kept doing a weird nazi looking salute thing, calling it the blade of power. I assumed it was from power rangers or dbz or some other aspect of nerdery I never got into, but I guess he made it up?

It looked like the what the unification salute is described as which is fashy as gently caress.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.

Zasze posted:

It looked like the what the unification salute is described as which is fashy as gently caress.
That's the fist over the heart one, right?

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug
The 'blade of power' was meant to be a counter to the 'fist of power' (a gesture another one of the cast has been using for a while). In a recent video the guy very briefly mentions how the blade of power is never going to be seen ever again for reasons of unforeseen connotations. The TT guys are cool, goofy and silly and not actually fascist.

Coincidentally, since it actually IS a thing in the hobby, making a list of the fash/misogyny leaning channels, websites etc. might not a be bad idea. Just so it's easier to avoid giving them money by accident? Like striking scorpion is definitely problematic... Then there is the lore guy who is deeply concerned with sluts, feminazis and sjw's coming to take his grimdark away, but I don't recall his name, and there is the magic the gathering guy? I'm sure there are others. Maybe it's better not to draw any attention to it anyway.

Revelation 2-13 fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Dec 16, 2018

eSportseXpert
Jun 24, 2005

Stupid fucking white man.

Badablack posted:

I got a couple boxes of necromunda Delaque models to use as genestealer cult since they look so rad, but these guys are a lot taller than regular neophytes. I think I’m gonna build a squad of them to be hybrid acolytes or metamorphs and convert them to look like resident evil Tyrants. So big dudes in trenchcoats with monster arms. I could even give them bazookas as their demolition charges.

As someone just starting on some GSC, this sounds like a great idea. Also yeah I've noticed that everyone on necromunda appears to be tall as gently caress.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Zasze posted:

There are two accepted interpretations of the salute used by the Roman empire. The one the Nazis used and the one he did, whether he realised that's where it comes from or not. It's not fash in and of itself, but it's also something you probably don't want to be publicly doing outside of a historical context. Good for them on realising there could be a perception issue and addressing it sensibly.

Revelation 2-13 posted:

Coincidentally, since it actually IS actually a thing in the hobby, making a list of the fash/misogyny leaning channels, websites etc. might not a be bad idea. Just so it's easier to avoid giving them money by accident? Like striking scorpion is definitely problematic... Then there is the lore guy who is deeply concerned with sluts, feminazis and sjw's coming to take his grimdark away, but I don't recall his name, and there is the magic the gathering guy? I'm sure there are others. Maybe it's better not to draw any attention to it anyway.

That is not a bad idea. We could also add decent ones. I don't follow hobby channels on youtube much, so I only know Striking Scorpion by name from the "Hitler did nothing wrong" end of the ham spectrum.

For the good column is former WarhammerTV presenter Emma https://www.twitch.tv/electriceve. Since she got laid off by GW she's been broadcasting her commissions. Also seems to be better at presenting in the more casual setting.

Lovely Joe Stalin fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Dec 16, 2018

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Revelation 2-13 posted:

Then there is the lore guy who is deeply concerned with sluts, feminazis and sjw's coming to take his grimdark away, but I don't recall his name, and there is the magic the gathering guy? I'm sure there are others. Maybe it's better not to draw any attention to it anyway.

Pretty sure the guy you're thinking of in that case is ArchWarhammer or somesuch. Already got him on my YT blacklist.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

This looks great. Remember; you're doing better than a huge portion of the player base by just painting something. Did you use a wash on the model?

I did! I used.... “German-name fleshshade.” Do you think I should use a different one (or apply more)?

Also, it was up thread a bit but thank you for giving the perspective of “it really only matters how it looks from two feet away.” Whenever I zoom in on my phone I see tons of imperfections, but I have to remind myself that literally no one else (other than everyone on the internet) can see it.

Cainer
May 8, 2008

Revelation 2-13 posted:

The 'blade of power' was meant to be a counter to the 'fist of power' (a gesture another one of the cast has been using for a while). In a recent video the guy very briefly mentions how the blade of power is never going to be seen ever again for reasons of unforeseen connotations. The TT guys are cool, goofy and silly and not actually fascist.

Coincidentally, since it actually IS a thing in the hobby, making a list of the fash/misogyny leaning channels, websites etc. might not a be bad idea. Just so it's easier to avoid giving them money by accident? Like striking scorpion is definitely problematic... Then there is the lore guy who is deeply concerned with sluts, feminazis and sjw's coming to take his grimdark away, but I don't recall his name, and there is the magic the gathering guy? I'm sure there are others. Maybe it's better not to draw any attention to it anyway.

I enjoy watching Winters SEO, he seems like a pretty chill guy and his batreps are pretty fun to watch. He even tries to add a bit of story before every match which is nice to see and I don't think he's a fash. Only issue being he doesn't have that many armies(Space Marines, Admec and Death Guard) so you see him drag the same dudes out a lot but I can't really hold that against him.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Have you ever wanted to tell people you were a hipster and an irrepressible nerd at the same time, but never could find the way?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

Model looks pretty good honestly, if you just put a wash on that it'll suddenly look just as good as everybody else's models in this thread. No, seriously. Get some Agrax Earthshade and do a wash and you'll be blown away.

Right now its just a little too flat. The shade makes it all pop without having to do highlights by hand. (Although those are the next step)

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

I did! I used.... “German-name fleshshade.” Do you think I should use a different one (or apply more)?

Also, it was up thread a bit but thank you for giving the perspective of “it really only matters how it looks from two feet away.” Whenever I zoom in on my phone I see tons of imperfections, but I have to remind myself that literally no one else (other than everyone on the internet) can see it.

Yeah maybe a bit more, it looks flat. Especially the green parts don't really have any edges. You wanna really slather a good even later of wash all around.

And yeah, every time I take a picture of a model I realize I hosed up part of it I didn't notice, but from table height they look just fine!

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Dec 16, 2018

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

DiggityDoink posted:

Yes. Wait, short? No. Hahaha.

There's so much good silly fluff in 40k. Its cheese in the best way.

You should start here

http://warhammer40k.wikia.com/wiki/Horus_Heresy

Alternatively start here: https://www.amazon.com/Horus-Rising-Heresy-Book-ebook/dp/B01MQGRV2R/

You're also going to want to read about http://warhammer40k.wikia.com/wiki/Chaos_Gods especially http://warhammer40k.wikia.com/wiki/Nurgle

Oh and http://warhammer40k.wikia.com/wiki/Mortarion and http://warhammer40k.wikia.com/wiki/Death_Guard of course.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Dec 16, 2018

Chucat
Apr 14, 2006

I saw it's post your models so here's all the stuff I started painting since March, when I first started painting again after 10+ years. I only really have the armies on parade pic since my camera isn't great and my house doesn't have much room.

Since then I've done a Hemlock, more Guardians and rounded out the DA squad (and also started on a Spiritseer)

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I still can't tell what base sisters are on!

I'm just going to 25mm them unless they're special. I know it probably doesn't make a difference, but some official clarity would have been a good addition.

Actually now that it's a beta, that's feedback I can give them.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah maybe a bit more, it looks flat. Especially the green parts don't really have any edges. You wanna really slather a good even later of wash all around.

And yeah, every time I take a picture of a model I realize I hosed up part of it I didn't notice, but from table height they look just fine!

Thanks for your critique, I appreciate it! I will pick up some Agrax and give it a try. I’m pretty colorblind and have trouble figuring out how colors should work, so I’ll post another update when I’m done!

Also: I know that Scions should keep their regiment for their awesome bonuses, but are there any other regiments people play their stormtroopers in? I painted mine to look like Cadians since dig their whole “Karskin” vibe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(
For detachments that say they need to be from the same faction, that means they need to share a faction keyword right? Would chaos be enough? Like, could I put mortarion in a super heavy detachment with a knight or helvarines?