Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

spacetoaster posted:

Be a substitute teacher (not joking).

I get 18$ an hour and can choose when/where I want to work. I only sub on days I'm not doing my real job and I know several people who do it full time.

I've had subs tell me that the work is how teaching should be - walk in the door at 8:30, leave 3:30, no paperwork, planning or responsibility beyond the time you're in the classroom, etc. But I was faced with the choice recently and still decided to go back to a fixed position, subs don't get the same enduring relationships with kids or ever get treated like members of staff etc.

Also $18/hr seems realy low, where do you live? In NZ the going rate is more than twice that (although the currency is only worth about 3/4), and we pay our teachers crap compared to the rest of the OECD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

bike tory posted:

I've had subs tell me that the work is how teaching should be - walk in the door at 8:30, leave 3:30, no paperwork, planning or responsibility beyond the time you're in the classroom, etc. But I was faced with the choice recently and still decided to go back to a fixed position, subs don't get the same enduring relationships with kids or ever get treated like members of staff etc.

Also $18/hr seems realy low, where do you live? In NZ the going rate is more than twice that (although the currency is only worth about 3/4), and we pay our teachers crap compared to the rest of the OECD.

lol teachers in the DPRK are paid more than your average teacher in the US

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

other people posted:

lol teachers in the DPRK are paid more than your average teacher in the US

According to google the median salary for a teacher in the US is $58000, in NZ it is $36800 (USD equivalent). The NZ payscale for teachers tops out at $53000.

That's why I thought it odd that we pay our subs so much better.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Teachers are trash

Who even needs teachers? Or schools?

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Zzulu posted:

Teachers are trash

Who even needs teachers? Or schools?

Capitalists do, otherwise who's gonna work for them?

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
We were all going to regardless with varying degrees of delusion

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

bike tory posted:

Capitalists do, otherwise who's gonna work for them?

Capitalists like 'em dumb though.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

LIVE AMMO ROLEPLAY posted:

Capitalists like 'em dumb though.

Yeah but they gotta be able to, like, fill a spreadsheet

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

I'm Virginia. (The answer is of course yes)

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon
https://twitter.com/CBSNews/status/1074141988314861568

Switchback
Jul 23, 2001

quote:

An examination of the documents also revealed how J&J succeeded in curbing regulators' plans to curtail asbestos in cosmetic talc products as well as scientist research on talc's health effects, Reuters stated.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

free fire retardation for your baby but of course millennials do nothing but complain like always

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?

Shear Modulus posted:

out of curiosity how much do you get paid as a machinist

Accretionist is right about the direction things are heading; I used to work in a mom and pop machine shop. The owners had dumped a ton of money into machines that basically needed no supervision and it was clear that despite their "liberal" politics they clearly would rather have not had to keep employees running the other machines. That job sucked.

edit: those people also did a ton of aerospace/.mil/government contracting so gently caress them. vv This job here is in the beer industry which is much less morally reprehensible as far as things go

My current job is pretty chill but it's slowly becoming more corporate. I currently make $22~ per hour with pretty decent benefits and it's just about the best opportunity I've seen in Colorado, working as a setup and production machinist. I would really like to go back and learn more programming and CAD/CAM beyond what I learned in trade school, and take some engineering courses on the side as well. Trouble is, cost of living is hilarious in CO so my relatively high wages amount to jack poo poo when it comes down to it

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon
Jesus, you machinists need to go to the universities and national labs I've worked at. There is a massive shortage and it generally loving sucks to get anything done or even try to talk to someone.

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007

DrPossum posted:

Jesus, you machinists need to go to the universities and national labs I've worked at. There is a massive shortage and it generally loving sucks to get anything done or even try to talk to someone.

When I moved here I applied for a really cool-sounding machinist apprenticeship position at a university making scientific instruments and working with lasers and glass and stuff. I thought I had a decent chance at getting the spot but oops they changed it to require a 4 year degree so lol

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
I'm trying to build my credit score to buy a house one day and it's really poo poo because I recently moved to a new country and have never needed to be in debt because I live within my means and paid off everything as soon as I can and save money when I can so I'll never be in debt. So now the banks think I can't be trusted with money and I have to take out a line of credit to pay off my credit cards and then use my pay to pay off the line of credit. Thanks be responsible.

The stupidest part of Tyler Durton's stupid plan was waiting until the stupid buildings were empty.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Outrail posted:

The stupidest part of Tyler Durton's stupid plan was waiting until the stupid buildings were empty.

:hmmyes:

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Admiral Bosch posted:

When I moved here I applied for a really cool-sounding machinist apprenticeship position at a university making scientific instruments and working with lasers and glass and stuff. I thought I had a decent chance at getting the spot but oops they changed it to require a 4 year degree so lol

Apply anyway. I just had an interview for a job that requires a physics degree when I have a 4 year arts degree. My resume mattered more than my degree.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Source4Leko posted:

Apply anyway. I just had an interview for a job that requires a physics degree when I have a 4 year arts degree. My resume mattered more than my degree.

Many jobs will autodrop anyone who doesn't fit the requirements as a first pass before any human looks at it.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Outrail posted:

I'm trying to build my credit score to buy a house one day and it's really poo poo because I recently moved to a new country and have never needed to be in debt because I live within my means and paid off everything as soon as I can and save money when I can so I'll never be in debt. So now the banks think I can't be trusted with money and I have to take out a line of credit to pay off my credit cards and then use my pay to pay off the line of credit. Thanks be responsible.

Fyi being pre-approved for a home loan jumps your credit up by like 80 points instanly. And you can qualify for that basic on income coming in, credit score will affect your interest rate.

I was in your spot with good-not great credit from general lack of history.

0. Get in a credit union not a loving bank. (If you dont)
1. Open a credit card, from a CU not capital one or some poo poo and put it in a drawer never to touch again. Just to get your debt to credit ratio better. (People have like 800 scores while being in huge debt just by opening more cards, just actually dont touch it after you open it!)
2. Apply online through your CU for a preapproved home loan even below what you want, something you will get approved for.

Credit should go up 100-150 points with both of those.

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007

Source4Leko posted:

I did. I even had an interview and walked around the shop and had long email correspondence with the guy in charge of the shop. This was a couple years ago.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
who wants to see a developer getting hosed:

https://outline.com/aasLq6

quote:

A property owner who illegally demolished a 1936 Twin Peaks house designed by a renowned modernist must rebuild an exact replica of the home rather than the much larger structure the property owner had proposed replacing it with, the City Planning Commission ruled this week.

In a unanimous 5-0 vote late Thursday night, the commission also ordered that the property owner — Ross Johnston, through his 49 Hopkins LLC — include a sidewalk plaque telling the story of the original house designed by architect Richard Neutra, the demolition and the replica.

The commission directive, unprecedented in San Francisco, comes more than a year after the home at 49 Hopkins Ave., known as the Largent House, was almost entirely knocked down. All that remained of the white, two-story redwood-and-concrete-block home was a garage door and frame.

Johnston had received planning permission only to remodel with a design that would have largely kept the first floor of the existing home intact.

Two months after the demolition, Johnston applied for a retroactive demolition permit and for permission to construct a new home that would increase the size from about 1,300 square feet to nearly 4,000 square feet.

The case attracted attention because Neutra is considered one of the most important modern architects and because it highlighted the trend of speculators illegally razing modest homes with the intention of replacing them with mega-homes. The new houses can fetch upward of $5 million, double or triple the price of an average house in already expensive San Francisco.

Planning Commissioner Dennis Richards said he hopes the commission’s action in the 49 Hopkins case will send a message to speculators accustomed to ignoring city planning and building laws with few or no repercussions.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

Oh yeah that's the poo poo.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Bombadilillo posted:

Credit should go up 100-150 points with both of those.

This I really loving dumb.

I mean it's good advice, but that it's good advice is really loving dumb

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Outrail posted:

This I really loving dumb.

I mean it's good advice, but that it's good advice is really loving dumb

Oh I wholly agree 100% the system is dumb and bad.

And it feels...wrong to "buy into" the system and play by its rules.

But gently caress...at the end of the day you can own a house and still think the systems bad. Refusing to participate doesnt help you. :shrug: I helped a 21 year old with a low paying job buy a house and mortgage is less then rent. You can to my goons!

I've NEVER seen the preapproved credit jump on any website or list ever, it's just something I learned doing it and it's real. Which is odd because it's literally "one weird trick to make your score jump 80 points!"

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

bike tory posted:

I sub exclusively for 4 schools and have great relationships with the staff/kids/parents.

I think the pay is pretty good considering you don't have to have anything to sub other than a high school diploma and a clean background (and the actual teacher has to leave you with a detailed lesson plan).

Also, I'm driving home by 2:30 and the control over my schedule (where I work and what classes too) make it a pretty nice job.

Once I retire from my current job, and get an actual teaching certification, the pay will go up and I'll also get the benefits.

spacetoaster has issued a correction as of 21:43 on Dec 16, 2018

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Bankrupt a company, get rewarded for your efforts!

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/sears-bankruptcy-court-oks-25-million-in-bonuses-for-top-execs/

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

"It's not the execs fault that the low level employees didn't push the Sears card or extended warranties hard enough."

-- some executive getting his bonus in time for Christmas.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

lol and it's perfectly legal for the rear end in a top hat who.ran the company into the ground to then buy the remaining assets for pennies on the dollar too. After giving himself those bonuses.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

looting and pillaging the company you are in charge of has been the MO of american business for decades now

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
This is capitalism dot html but I think it still counts:

https://soranews24.com/2018/12/17/want-some-bling-in-your-snack-koikeyas-new-luxury-chips-features-actual-gold-leaf/

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

"Our company has no money. We deserve these 24million dollars."

I do not understand how bankruptcy works

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

I'm sure this has come up before, but the ultimate capitalism.png edible gold is this $2000 pizza that apparently tastes kinda gross

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
truffle is a seasoning
its like topping a pizza with cumin instead of cheese and an equivalent volume, no choice but to taste like crap

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Drink the blood of the young and eat gold.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

This is kind of funny but on the other hand San Fran needs to demolish thousands of small houses like that and replace them with a lot more square footage. That place sounds like it was just going to be converted into a monster single family home though so it doesn't really make much difference. Shoulda made him turn it into like three row houses instead of rebuild the original.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

quote:

the property owner - Ross Johnston, through his 49 Hopkins LLC

quote:

the home at 49 Hopkins Ave., known as the Largent House

The guy had a company with the name of the address the house was located at? Presumably just to manage that single house on it's own?

I don't what particular trick that accomplishes but imo this detail is all I need to know that Ross Johnston is a loving rear end in a top hat.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Chomp8645 posted:

The guy had a company with the name of the address the house was located at? Presumably just to manage that single house on it's own?

I don't what particular trick that accomplishes but imo this detail is all I need to know that Ross Johnston is a loving rear end in a top hat.

Pay himself rent for a tax write off?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Chomp8645 posted:

The only houses I know that are bought by LLC are rented out.

gently caress landlords