Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I was expecting a more standard prop hunt type mode, but prop hunt where the props gang up and fight back is way more thematic :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Summer comes late this year.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

One mod or neuro chip I wish existed was something that made it so you don't drain mana while mimicked and holding still. You know, so patrolling enemies can pass by. I hope the playable mimics get that.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

multiplayer update is out!

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

I’ll come through with my Steam name later if anybody wants to give it a shot. What’s the early word? And did it go out with a general Prey / Mooncrash patch or was it strictly the new feature?

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug
Interesting that this has VR support!

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Mike the TV posted:

Interesting that this has VR support!
Tell us about the eye injection scene in vr :eyepop:

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

Just getting around to Mooncrash and boy didn't realize how much more Prey I needed and how much I prefer it to Dishonored.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

rabidsquid posted:

a few of my friends managed to play through the entire game without taking any offensive mimic powers OR bullet time OR maxed out weapon upgrades and they thought the combat was way too hard and its just like ?????

i like that you can decide exactly how much of a living god you want to be, provided you dont sidestep every single avenue that makes you good at killing poo poo.

It took me about three restarts before I figured out what was actually worth speccing into and how focused you have to be with neuromod point application.

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf
The Dishonored 2 thread got archived so this seems like the next best place - there's some new content for Dishonored 2 and Death of the Outsider - :toot:

https://bethesda.net/en/article/j58...ource=Community

ReWinter
Nov 23, 2008

Perpetually Perturbed
The new game plus mission select is pretty cool and a good fit for Dishonored!

Please do be aware that they're asking you to log in to/ create a Bethesda account and they just had a huge data breach, so...

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
lol I could not be less interested in a Black and White mode.

Shut up and JAM!
Sep 3, 2011

Farrier Theaks posted:

The Dishonored 2 thread got archived so this seems like the next best place - there's some new content for Dishonored 2 and Death of the Outsider - :toot:

Yeah no thanks. Who would intentionally create a Bethesda.net account lol

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Farrier Theaks posted:

Oooo. Yep I'm in.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
I can't believe i waited a year and a half to play this loving game. I thought it was a sequel to the old Prey. Bethesda really hosed up the marketing.

CAPTAIN SHIT
Mar 10, 2001

guff
I really like immersive sims. I've played Prey, the System Shocks, Dishonored, Arx Fatalis, and Deus Ex. Are there any other games in this genre?

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

CAPTAIN poo poo posted:

I really like immersive sims. I've played Prey, the System Shocks, Dishonored, Arx Fatalis, and Deus Ex. Are there any other games in this genre?

if you don't mind dealing with ancient UIs, the ultima underworld games defined this whole concept and are really loving good.

In terms of sequels, dishonored 2 is pretty good. deus ex: human revolution was OK also but not nearly as deep as the first game.

what else counts? Alpha Protocol? Also good.

Edit: oh yeah, thief and thief 2. Both on GOG, both run on modern machines without much or any problems I think.

andrew smash fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Dec 16, 2018

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

It's not quite on the level of the Preys or Dishonoreds but Vampyr reminded me a lot of Alpha Protocol in that you can screw over a lot of NPCs at any given time.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
Thief 3 shouldn't be left out. Also the first two Bioshocks.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
Huh, for some reason I thought the bioshocks were in that post. My mistake. Thief 3 kind of left me cold so I didn't recommend it but each to their own
Edit: vampire: bloodlines definitely counts

andrew smash fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Dec 16, 2018

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Zelda: BOTW does a lot of immersive sim-like things, though it obviously takes influences from elsewhere too.

Shut up and JAM!
Sep 3, 2011

SwissCM posted:

Zelda: BOTW does a lot of immersive sim-like things, though it obviously takes influences from elsewhere too.

Good point! Following a similar train of thought, I'd also recommend Halo 3 and Civilization 5.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

CAPTAIN poo poo posted:

Dark messiah roughly fits

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

[use] [foot] on [any]

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

andrew smash posted:

I can't believe i waited a year and a half to play this loving game. I thought it was a sequel to the old Prey. Bethesda really hosed up the marketing.

I honestly only picked up the game on the strength of its word of mouth here on the forums, and yeah Bethesda hosed up incredibly with their marketing, the game is so goddamn good and I wouldn't have known it even existed if people weren't constantly raving about it.

Similar to how all the Bethesda marketing for DOOM made it look kind of sluggish and slow-paced and then nvidia of all people put out a gameplay video showing it was a living heavy metal album cover.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Shut up and JAM! posted:

Good point! Following a similar train of thought, I'd also recommend Halo 3 and Civilization 5.
It has just about everything you'd expect from an immersive sim (lots of simulated systems that can combine to create emergent solutions to problems). I believe it was even used as an example by Spector himself as a game that takes heavily after his own design ethos.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Jerusalem posted:

I honestly only picked up the game on the strength of its word of mouth here on the forums, and yeah Bethesda hosed up incredibly with their marketing, the game is so goddamn good and I wouldn't have known it even existed if people weren't constantly raving about it.

Similar to how all the Bethesda marketing for DOOM made it look kind of sluggish and slow-paced and then nvidia of all people put out a gameplay video showing it was a living heavy metal album cover.

Or in other words, a metal album music video that you can play.

The normal, non-playable one is here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHRuTYtSbJQ

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Another oft-overlooked immersive sim is Alien Isolation.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

SwissCM posted:

Another oft-overlooked immersive sim is Alien Isolation.

Use the VR mod if you want to immersively simulate making GBS threads your pants.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
Tom Francis' games are 2D immersive sims: Gunpoint and Heat Signature. Very cool games. Gunpoint is more linear, Heat Signature more open-world-ish with no long storyline but short vignettes basically.

Don't forget the STALKER games, and some mods for Deus Ex are games onto themselves: The Nameless Mod for instance. EYE: Divine Cybermancy is really Deus Ex-ish, but also very very weird and hard to get into. Fallout: New Vegas is also one of the best sim/RPG games ever, but you've probably already played that!

e: forgot to mention NEON STRUCT & Quadrilateral Cowboy (both indie lo-fi immersive sims) and Tacoma and Gone Home are often described as immersive story sims (no 'gameplay', or very light, but a lot of walking around figuring out what happened here)

Samopsa fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Dec 17, 2018

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

I bought a Transstar mug

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Wrr posted:

I bought a Transstar mug

Are you sure?

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
I bought one and got a second one for free in the box!

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

Kibayasu posted:

Are you sure?

Actually had a nightmare about a super persistent and smart typhon that was hunting me last night. Got to inject a neuromod into my eye in the dream and boy did that suck. I hid in a closet and all the typhon in the area were unable to find me because Thats How Games Work, except the one hunting me could and I knew that was sorta hosed up and lovely. Woke up right as it found me.

So, I guess, it should be real interesting to see whats in the box when it arrives!

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

im glad the tradition of breath of the wild being castlevania dark souls metroid immersive sim mmorpg moba chess continues

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Finally tried my hand at Typhon Hunter. A decent trifle, but not much to it. Hopefully it brings more eyes to the product... Whatever Arkane's next thing is, I'd hope it's in the vein of Prey and Mooncrash.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Samopsa posted:

Gunpoint

Oh man, Gunpoint is such an awesome little game. Definitely a pro-buy.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

They should have release the multiplayer part of Typhon Hunter for free. Generate interest in the expansion and make sure the population isn't dead in a month.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

That's what they did? It's included in the expansion, and its release coincided with a sale of Prey + Mooncrash for $20. It crept up back toward the top of the charts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

andrew smash posted:

Huh, for some reason I thought the bioshocks were in that post. My mistake. Thief 3 kind of left me cold so I didn't recommend it but each to their own

Thief 3 was mostly forgettable, but the haunted orphanage mission (The Cradle) stands out as one of the best and scariest levels in the genre.