Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

It was my impression that even that was more provocation than they need

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

According to the Display Lag Database, the low end for input lag seems to be at around 10 milliseconds now for computer monitors, which is pretty good when a single frame at 60 fps is 16.7 milliseconds. My Samsung TV bought a couple of years ago has 20 ms of lag, which still appears to be one of the lower values for HDTVs.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
my favorite little thing in videogames is how stupid ugly and dumb people who play videogames are, especially the ones that play videogames

can you believe it? they do that!

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I believe it's specifically the conversion from CRT to HDTV that causes the input lag that really creates problems for things like fighting games and speedruns. And because Melee is basically the only fighting game still being significantly played that doesn't have a native HD release, that means that any 'serious' Melee play (and remember, competitive Smash players take everything seriously) needs to happen on CRTs.

I can totally also believe that a huge chunk of Melee players just cargo-culted this based on older technology and the requirements of a different group of serious video gamers; for speedrunners, minute input lag actually is a make-or-break.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Cleretic posted:

I believe it's specifically the conversion from CRT to HDTV that causes the input lag that really creates problems for things like fighting games and speedruns. And because Melee is basically the only fighting game still being significantly played that doesn't have a native HD release, that means that any 'serious' Melee play (and remember, competitive Smash players take everything seriously) needs to happen on CRTs.

I can totally also believe that a huge chunk of Melee players just cargo-culted this based on older technology and the requirements of a different group of serious video gamers; for speedrunners, minute input lag actually is a make-or-break.

Don't forget the "bugged controller" players.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
My favourite little thing is The Saboteur is the way France goes from black and white to full beautiful colour as you liberate it from the Nazis. I'm only remembering it now because I was browsing the GoG sale and it's only £3.79 right now. Such a wonderful and under-appreciated game.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Cleretic posted:

I believe it's specifically the conversion from CRT to HDTV that causes the input lag that really creates problems for things like fighting games and speedruns.
Yeah, my original post was simplifying things a bit too much. Games that use interlaced video modes (and 240p, which was kind of a progressive video mode used by old consoles where only one of the fields of alternating scanlines was drawn, and is NOT handled well by HDTVs) do get a couple of frames of lag on top of the display's inherent lag due to the deinterlacing process where they combine the two interlaced fields (which would flicker rapidly on a CRT to create the image) into one single frame.

Now, when it comes to Smash Bros. Melee, GameCube games can run in 480p mode (except in the PAL region because gently caress you, I guess) and skip the deinterlacing, but the problem there is that GameCube component cables are obscenely rare and expensive. You could use the Wii's backwards compatibility and play the game on that system at 480p because the cables are much cheaper, but I'm sure that's not an option either for some reason. The reason might be that the HDTV would still have to do some scaling to fill the screen, which can add a little bit more lag to the proceedings, but who the hell knows.

DMorbid has a new favorite as of 09:30 on Dec 15, 2018

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Doc M posted:

the problem there is that GameCube component cables are obscenely rare and expensive. You could use the Wii's backwards compatibility and play the game on that system at 480p because the cables are much cheaper, but I'm sure that's not an option either for some reason.
Huh I just have mine sitting in a box because I figured I may want to revisit my GameCube someday. Time to go casually check eBay I guess.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

I got This War of Mine in a sale recently, that's a game that really communicates being a victim of war really well. You have your party living in a bombed out house, and each night one of you can go out looting. This is where you come across other survivors, and may have to steal from people. One night a guy saw me going through his things and shot me, I lost all the stuff he was carrying (tools and things for trade) and my party was down by one man. I kept going with them for a few days, but they have to balance sleeping, eating, etc with watching guard for the night (there is a chance you will be raided and be injured/killed/have things stolen). After several nights of struggling with two hungry, tired guys, they start getting depressed and do things more slowly, or get fed up halfway through a job (like picking apart electronics) and lament about how hopeless things are, and how they miss their friend/s who have already been killed. A few more nights and one of my other guys got shot. Trying to do everything with the final guy was tough, I had to sacrifice a whole day so he could rest through illness, so I wasn't able to make anything that could be traded. While he was out getting medical supplies that night all the food got stolen. After a while the situation feels really hopeless, and I haven't been able to play to a point where everyone dies.

On a more positive note, I also got Abzu, which is a great scenic exploration game like Journey, with bits of story around the place, but takes place in the ocean. The music is great and it's very colourful and uplifting.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy

jojoinnit posted:

Huh I just have mine sitting in a box because I figured I may want to revisit my GameCube someday. Time to go casually check eBay I guess.

Actual component cables? Like, YPbPr ones?

You give out loans?

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Queen Combat posted:

Actual component cables? Like, YPbPr ones?

You give out loans?

The multicoloured ones that plugged it into the TV, if that's them, they're rolled up next to the GC power supply, old-school aux input and controllers yeah. This feels like we're heading into derail territory though so feel free to PM.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Multicolored as in red, green and blue or red, white and yellow? Component is the former.

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER
I have a gamecube 480P cable also, i looked it up on ebay last year and they were going for $300. Guess i'll past it down through my family as an heirloom.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

In this case the little thing is the whole game, but I just played through GRIS and I just adore it. It's a cute little platformer with amazing art and a great soundtrack where everything comes together just right. It's rather short at just about 3 hours, but that also means it's very focused, never drags, and doesn't overstay it's welcome. I just bought it on an impulse today and played through the whole thing in one sitting and I'm still kinda blown away by how good it was.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

I just posted in the dragging down thread about i so here’s a major plus for the new EDF: the bombing runs for air raider are now super great to target and place, and you can even rotate the area so you can have really great control of qhat’s going to get blown the hell up.

The area is also visible to all players, which makes it really hard to “accidentally” blow up your friends.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
The dialogue in EDF is bad and thats why it is good.

Soldier: "What are we being attacked by?!"

Commander: "Hostiles"

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I always liked how they named the aliens Ravagers before it turned out they were hostile and wanted to destroy the planet.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I’ve bitched about Just Cause 4 a lot (mostly because the graphics are bad enough on a non-pro PS4 that it actually does present an obstacle to playing it at first), but it does enough little stuff to make it a blast to play.

I’ve mentioned before they added a lot of physics tools to the grapple line, which is awesome. The more I play, the more I find fun poo poo to do. I put a jet engine each on two porta-johns tethered together and let them fly through a gunfight. Killed like six dudes. It was amazing.

Also, they’ve replaced grenades with gun secondaries. It really encourages you to constantly switch weapons because of the flexibility. The assault rifle has grenades. The semi-automatic rifle can lock on to a few enemies and kill them. The sub machine gun has a railgun. There’s a standout, though- The grenade launcher can dump its whole mag out as impact grenades. It works so well with the parachute. You can soar around and carpet bomb the poo poo out of a gunfight before you zip line in and start headshotting dudes.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Len posted:

I always liked how they named the aliens Ravagers before it turned out they were hostile and wanted to destroy the planet.

If I've learned anything about the EDF through all their incarnations, it's that they are absolutely terrible at naming things.

Oh these giant ants? They're aggressor alpha. The giant spiders? Aggressor beta of course. And the wasp? Aggressor delta? Ha, no gently caress that, they're just Flying Aggressors. The frog things are colonizers, obviously. Are they trying to colonize the planet? No idea. Colonizers.

What?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Morpheus posted:

If I've learned anything about the EDF through all their incarnations, it's that they are absolutely terrible at naming things.

Oh these giant ants? They're aggressor alpha. The giant spiders? Aggressor beta of course. And the wasp? Aggressor delta? Ha, no gently caress that, they're just Flying Aggressors. The frog things are colonizers, obviously. Are they trying to colonize the planet? No idea. Colonizers.

What?

I'm also fairly certain the EDF cause more damage to the cities than the Ravagers do.

Although that could just be the way I play. There's absolutely no reason to walk around a building when going through it will do

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Just got to getting the Elevator Key in Pokemon Colosseum. I love the show of Celebi's true power when you get the Time Flute (which is single use because otherwise it would break the game), and it totally purifies whatever Shadow Pokemon you use the flute on. After hours of grinding the Shadow Bar down, it's neat to see the power of a Legendary just head straight into Entei's sealed heart and kick down the metaphorical door.

I also really like that only the leaders have Shadow Pokemon, very few of the Grunts. The Leaders probably have a method of controlling them properly, you wouldn't want to trust something that volatile with some new recruit that it'll just attack, probably damaging your own lairs at the same time.

BioEnchanted has a new favorite as of 09:10 on Dec 16, 2018

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Len posted:

I'm also fairly certain the EDF cause more damage to the cities than the Ravagers do.

Although that could just be the way I play. There's absolutely no reason to walk around a building when going through it will do

I haven't really played any EDF since 2017 on the XB360, but I loved that final mission where the enemy mothership is just wrecking poo poo, and the EDF Operator is just lamenting how everyone's dead and humanity has lost, and the dawning realization that someone is still out there fighting, and winning.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
Dragon Quest XI is really loving good. I wasn't super crazy about it until I got the boat, but then it clicked with me. I'm enjoying the story, I like all the characters, and I even like how Act 2 is structured.

Initially, I wasn't crazy about having to retravel the world, and find everyone again, but joining up with Hendrik was a very cool moment for me; it gave me the sense that poo poo has gone really bad. Seeing King Carnelian as an actual monarch now is great, too; he's actually a nice guy when not possessed by a horrible monster!

Back to what I was saying about going around the world again, doing that really showed off it is different. The monsters being mostly the same, but vicious and red eyed is a good way to show things are bad. My favorite bit of that, though, was going back to Arboria, passing through the fjord, where that dragon had been trapped in the ice. Seeing that fucker gone was a low-key, "Holy poo poo" moment for me.

Veronica's death was genuinely surprising to me, too. Serena gaining her sister's powers was also a surprise, because that's just loving sweet.

Maybe that all didn't click with others playing, but this game is hitting all the right points for me. It's just so solid, I'm consistently impressed with whatever I'm doing, and loving the hell out of it.

Additionally, a character can dual wield wands, which is ridiculous and I loving love it.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I like how dangerous most of the NPCs in Colosseum can be, they often have at least one pokemon that can act as a nasty surprise, like if your sweeping firetypes with a water pokemon they may throw out some really powerful physical move to wreck it. The movesets are very interestingly put together. Like one Midgame refight evolving Snubbul into Granbull, and teaching it strength. That guy's a wall of physical defense. The Shadow Pokemon are of course the most dangerous with their movesets though.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

Pyroclastic posted:

I haven't really played any EDF since 2017 on the XB360, but I loved that final mission where the enemy mothership is just wrecking poo poo, and the EDF Operator is just lamenting how everyone's dead and humanity has lost, and the dawning realization that someone is still out there fighting, and winning.

which EDF is this, and is it available for PC? I have never played an EDF but am aware of them, moments like this seem rad as heck. Is co-op make or break, or is it good solo?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Co-op definitely makes EDF better. I was playing 5 with my brothers yesterday and man that was a hoot. Second mission has a shitload of ants attacking a base and where is a bunch of mech suits around. Near the end you get one final big push by the ants and the mech suits come online and just shred the ants. One of them goes "And this is the second mission?"

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

Penpal posted:

which EDF is this, and is it available for PC? I have never played an EDF but am aware of them, moments like this seem rad as heck. Is co-op make or break, or is it good solo?

I would say yeah, it's pretty bland solo

The EDF deploys!

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Started playing a really cute old japanese Pokemon style game called Telefang: Power (with translation patch), which had a similar duality (it had 2 games, Power and Speed). The idea is that instead of a pokedex you have a cellphone called the D-Shot - it's a cellphone that has such a powerful signal it goes up to 4 bars rather than then usual 3. This extra power allows it to interact with/pick up signals from the other world where the monsters live. If you impress monsters by beating them, they give you their numbers and you can call one of them to help your main guy (and the main can be swapped out, I'm just not right now, I've only just started) in battle.

It also had seperate stats for special attack and defense (called D-Attack and D-Defense) long before Pokemon.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Penpal posted:

EDF 4.1 is on Steam and is fantastic on PC.

Definitely go co-op

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Perestroika posted:

In this case the little thing is the whole game, but I just played through GRIS and I just adore it. It's a cute little platformer with amazing art and a great soundtrack where everything comes together just right. It's rather short at just about 3 hours, but that also means it's very focused, never drags, and doesn't overstay it's welcome. I just bought it on an impulse today and played through the whole thing in one sitting and I'm still kinda blown away by how good it was.

GRIS is an incredibly beautiful game. My favorite little detail is that how the final power you acquire is her voice and in the ending animation, those little fragments you hear are overlaid on top of the main theme that plays at the very beginning.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

BioEnchanted posted:

Started playing a really cute old japanese Pokemon style game called Telefang: Power (with translation patch), which had a similar duality (it had 2 games, Power and Speed). The idea is that instead of a pokedex you have a cellphone called the D-Shot - it's a cellphone that has such a powerful signal it goes up to 4 bars rather than then usual 3. This extra power allows it to interact with/pick up signals from the other world where the monsters live. If you impress monsters by beating them, they give you their numbers and you can call one of them to help your main guy (and the main can be swapped out, I'm just not right now, I've only just started) in battle.

It also had seperate stats for special attack and defense (called D-Attack and D-Defense) long before Pokemon.

Holy poo poo. Holy poo poo.

When I was a kid I was so into pokemon I wanted more- downloaded roms of gold and silver in japanese before the english release, or just like, whatever was available that said 'pokemon' on it. One of those things was a game- in poor, half translated engrish- that had something about telephone numbers for beating the monsters. But no one ever knew wtf I was talking about, so eventually I figured it was some primitive romhack, or a translation error, or a fever dream.

This is that game. Thank you, bio.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Bio is straight up Butterfly Effecting us at this point

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Samuringa posted:

"Oh, Butterfly Effect? That was a delightful GBA game I played a few weeks ago where you have to manage and grow a butterfly conservatory. It had lush graphics and an art style reminiscent of a proto-Yoshi's World. The most interesting mechanic was how your choice of starter species determined what the fashions and personalities of the romance option characters would be."

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Penpal posted:

Literally just called Earth Defense Force 2017 in North America (It's the third game in the series, and the first released in NA), and only released on the 360 and Vita. I mostly played it solo, but I don't think it had online multi on the 360. Did a little bit of couch co-op.

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER

Samuringa posted:

Honestly I think BioE Hodor'ed into the past with that romhack to gently caress that dudes whole world up.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Penpal posted:

I think it's perfectly fine solo, but think Dynasty Warriors with Guns and Explosives - lots and lots and LOTS of missions (especially with the DLC) but ultimately fairly simplistic and repetitive gameplay with some grind attached and the occasional difficulty spike. There's some neat story setpieces, but there's also a lot of missions that are just "kill all the bugs on this map you've seen before but this time there's spawners and those rear end in a top hat spiders everyone hates".

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Mazerunner posted:

Holy poo poo. Holy poo poo.

When I was a kid I was so into pokemon I wanted more- downloaded roms of gold and silver in japanese before the english release, or just like, whatever was available that said 'pokemon' on it. One of those things was a game- in poor, half translated engrish- that had something about telephone numbers for beating the monsters. But no one ever knew wtf I was talking about, so eventually I figured it was some primitive romhack, or a translation error, or a fever dream.

This is that game. Thank you, bio.

That was how I first saw it as well, the infamous romhack "Pokemon Diamond/Jade" on a disc of roms and emulators that my friend in highschool gave to me.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Lobok posted:

"Oh, Butterfly Effect? That was a delightful GBA game I played a few weeks ago where you have to manage and grow a butterfly conservatory. It had lush graphics and an art style reminiscent of a proto-Yoshi's World. The most interesting mechanic was how your choice of starter species determined what the fashions and personalities of the romance option characters would be."

Holy poo poo! I thought I was the only one who played this!

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Onto the second boss in Telefang Power. It's pretty funny, the bosses both want the Kazuka party to control the monster world, but both the guy and the girl want to lead over the other, so the guy recognises you as the one who beat him and gives you the key (in exchange for hoping you'll vote for him) to defeat the girl to screw up her plans too - I hope they spend the whole game sabotaging each other it's pretty great.

Also their respective plans were pretty funny, the guy was promising opening curry stands in the monster world and bigging it up as an awesome thing they'd love if they voted for him to be Prime Minister of their world, while trying to manipulate the monster who fetches the villages water into helping him because with the best water they can make the best curry. The girl in the second village was planning on stealing the village's treasure and the key to their portal tower tree thing, trapping them there, and extorting them into selling their land so that she could turn the village into a Kazuka Party home base to expand her influence (and stuff a lot of ballots to beat the curry boy).

Finally something neat with Telefang is so far there is very little grinding, you generally get strong enough dudes phone numbers in random battles to do decently against each boss. Also it's best to use the newer ones anyway because the ones who live farther away take longer to get to where you are when you call them for battle, because they aren't travelling with you, you are calling them for help on your phone - in the area you caught them they pretty much arrive instantly, but otherwise they take a few turns and even sometimes get held up or get lost. It's an amusing kind of realism that the enemies are also bound by. All the bosses have a last line that's like "dials phone Hey *monster buddy name*, I'm gonna need a little assistance with this upstart... Yeah I'm here in the cave... see you soon! Bye! *beep*"

BioEnchanted has a new favorite as of 08:52 on Dec 17, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Lobok posted:

Not an emptypost