Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
I've kinda been waiting for this to happen ever since Matt took that sudden break two (?) years back. Felt like that never got truly resolved.

God, this really sucks. I've been watching these guys since the Portal 2 video! There are so many things I never would have heard of without them. I guess it's kind of exhausting to put so much of yourself in the public eye.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Judge Tesla posted:

When was the last Matt and Pat LP that sounded like both were enjoying themselves, because it feels like a very long time ago.

I thought they were fine in RE5 but I haven't watched Call of Cthulu enough to remember anything that happens in any episode.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
That's a big RIP

Judge Tesla posted:

When was the last Matt and Pat LP that sounded like both were enjoying themselves, because it feels like a very long time ago.

Star trek LP episode from a few days ago

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
Welp, end of an era. I hope for the best for them all, but to be truthful, this loving sucks. :(

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007
Rip sbfp, it was a wild ride.

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

Man Matt was really upset in the video. Two Best Friends was his baby and now it's dead.

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009
RIP Super Best Friends Play.

I'm just extremely thankful Woolie and Pat are carrying on the podcast legacy, as that is by far my favorite content from them in recent times considering my night shift job lets me relisten to the old podcasts to help time go by. Gonna feel kinda sad now when I do it over the next few days, but thems the breaks. Who knows, maybe since they're carrying that on they'll come together to do something with DMC5 still. Woolie and Pat VS DMC5? Wouldn't be the worst naming convention.

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde
aww

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

loving love Fiona Apple posted:

Man Matt was really upset in the video. Two Best Friends was his baby and now it's dead.

I wonder if any of them are gonna do a post mortem or something. I don't want them making fights public or anything but I am still curious as to what went down.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
Them recording their parts of the video separate really makes it feel like there is no chance whatsoever of any reconciliation.

Improbable Lobster posted:

I wonder if any of them are gonna do a post mortem or something. I don't want them making fights public or anything but I am still curious as to what went down.

Matt rubbed pizza grease on Pats TV.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Krazyface posted:

I've kinda been waiting for this to happen ever since Matt took that sudden break two (?) years back. Felt like that never got truly resolved.

Yeah, even since Liam left he seemed less enthusiastic.

It's weird to hear there was a business element to their falling out... like, maybe I'm naive about how much work and how many decisions they had to make behind the scenes to continue running a youtube channel, but they'd watered down their output to such a degree and never bothered to do a lot of the boring best practices crap most channels do that I wonder what there'd even be to argue about.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I mean, they did just have that huge realisation during Scrublords that they were deliberately stunting their own growth by doing stupid poo poo. It was hilarious at the time, but in hindsight, maybe one of the things they were having trouble with behind the scenes was one person wanting to go even harder on the stupid poo poo and someone else wanting to put the effort in and try to actually grow. And if that's the case, and if we're taking it as a Matt/Pat split, it's probably pretty obvious who was who. Like look at the difference in the amount of effort they put into their solo videos.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

The final Friday Night Fisticuffs being that lovely panty fighter is the most Best Friends thing possible.

Man. What lovely news to wake up to. I’ve been following them since the very beginning and I still can’t believe it’s really over.

Justice Sloth
Jun 10, 2012

Damn skippy.
I'm glad they were honest and transparent about it and we didn't get a vague non-answer game grumps debacle.

They really were always the realest LP channel on the platform and I'm gonna miss them, but I'm really hype for Castle Superbeast.

Jesus christ, 9 years though

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

I'll admit I haven't watched a lot of Super Best Friends content lately because the games they've been LPing haven't been that interesting to me, but this still loving sucks. :saddowns:

Hutter
Feb 16, 2011

It's been giving me nightmares.
Real sad news. I'll still follow the "new" podcast and see what Pat and Woolie does with it, but I will miss hearing Matt getting hype about dumb stuff and his occasional stories about awkward things happening to him on vacations and dates with his wife.

Will the podcast happen tomorrow per usual you think, or might it be cancelled until they get their new poo poo together? And do I understand this correctly but absolutely no new videos will come out henceforth, even if they have more of Kingdom Hearts or whatever recorded?

Edit: Wonder how Billie will land? I have no idea how his situation looks like in general and if he got anything significant out of all this as an editor for them.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I mean if there is anything of the current content I would hope continues it would be be kingdom hearts thing but pretty clearly Matt is DONE so that's not happening. As for Superbeast eeeeeh.

This was inevitable and there's the whole Paige/Pat shadow cast over it and I don't really like anyone's solo content and it just sucks

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Hutter posted:

Real sad news. I'll still follow the "new" podcast and see what Pat and Woolie does with it, but I will miss hearing Matt getting hype about dumb stuff and his occasional stories about awkward things happening to him on vacations and dates with his wife.

Will the podcast happen tomorrow per usual you think, or might it be cancelled until they get their new poo poo together? And do I understand this correctly but absolutely no new videos will come out henceforth, even if they have more of Kingdom Hearts or whatever recorded?

Edit: Wonder how Billie will land? I have no idea how his situation looks like in general and if he got anything significant out of all this as an editor for them.

I get the feeling that they don't have anything recorded, hence the 4 kingdom hearts videos in a row

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

Improbable Lobster posted:

The hot take masters on Youtube and Twitter are starting to blame Matt for being an "SJW" and having conflicting views with Pat as of late.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Rip zaibatsu. This sucks...

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Rodyle posted:

I mean if there is anything of the current content I would hope continues it would be be kingdom hearts thing but pretty clearly Matt is DONE so that's not happening. As for Superbeast eeeeeh.

This was inevitable and there's the whole Paige/Pat shadow cast over it and I don't really like anyone's solo content and it just sucks
While I haven't followed the behind the scenes stuff... well, at all, really, I did kinda think that something was up when I noticed Matt really started making Flophouse into this big thing. At first it just seemed like the Best Friends equivalent of Bruce Dickinson going off to record Tattooed Millionaire in the early 90s, basically just goofing off and trying something different without the rest of the group, but it's seemed like Flophouse has been his main priority for some time now and he hasn't been into the SBF content as much. I may be talking entirely out of my rear end here, but that's just how things came across to me.

Judge Tesla posted:

The hot take masters on Youtube and Twitter are starting to blame Matt for being an "SJW".
Well of course they loving are :ughh:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Krazyface posted:

God, this really sucks. I've been watching these guys since the Portal 2 video! There are so many things I never would have heard of without them. I guess it's kind of exhausting to put so much of yourself in the public eye.
I had a feeling this was happening as the side channels fleshed out. Still, this is gonna suck, these guys have been a huge part of my life at work with the podcast being the one I looked forward to the most each week, but I did have this sense that Matt has been feeling it less and less over time. Gonna miss the LPs, too. Some real good stuff, and it's gonna suck to not see DMCV by them or KH3 or more scrublords/fisticuffs, probably my favorite friday youtube videos. On the same token, I can't imagine constantly doing something they no longer enjoy even if it's profitable, so I applaud them for, well, ending it relatively amicably instead of having an incredibly messy, public meltdown out of nowhere. I wish them all the best and will definitely still be following all three of them(as I still do Liam), but I will definitely miss the team up content. Nine years, though. One of the longest-lasting of all the supergroups, I can't really think of many others outside of Rooster Teeth and Giant Bomb who have stayed together that long or longer, so they had an incredibly good run all things considered. Godspeed, my dudes. I haven't been able to watch many LPs at all due to working 12 hour days lately, but I've been slowly catching up on the DmC LP, it sucks they won't get to do DMCV.

I am still happy Woolie and Pat are together rolling with the Castle Superbeastcast, though. Whether it'll just be the same podcast under a different name or they'll go with a different method of podcasting, they've still got a great rapport together and I wager it'll result in more guests coming on if nothing else, whether that'll be good or bad, depends on the guest.

Krazyface posted:

I think that might only really apply to Matt. Woolie and Pat have been continuing to be pretty public all things considered, Pat especially.

SuddenCactus posted:

Them recording their parts of the video separate really makes it feel like there is no chance whatsoever of any reconciliation.
poo poo, that's might be something, but I also just kinda hope it's a way for them to just say their own personal thoughts and put out their own personal channels rather than them just unable to be in the same room together.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Judge Tesla posted:

The hot take masters on Youtube and Twitter are starting to blame Matt for being an "SJW" and having conflicting views with Pat as of late.

There's always been a ton of hangers-on in their comments that expect them to have secret lovely views, or are surprised when they're not throwing themselves into gamergate culture war bullshit, even before Paige showed up.

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War
Started watching them in 2013 when they completed their Beyond Two Souls playthrough. They filled my Tipping Forties-sized hole nicely. Just a few dudes sitting around playing video games.

I consider Omikron to be their best LP. It basically broke the group, but it was a wild adventure. The rest of the Sadness series was amazing, too. Their incredulity at the stupid poo poo David Cage put into his games was always hilarious.

It’s sad to see them break up, but all good things come to an end. Their output hasn’t been as good lately as it was towards the beginning. I’m rewatching the Yakuza 4 playthrough again and it’s so much fun because of the enthusiasm from Pat and Matt reacting to everything.

I need to check out Woolys new podcast. It seems interesting.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
should've sent more in to the mail bag

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Liam was truly the glue that held them together. :smith:

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

Judge Tesla posted:

Saw a few posts blaming Matt's wife because of course it has to be a woman's fault.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Farg posted:

should've sent more in to the mail bag

If only we gave them a few more weapons.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
don't let it set in

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Aw man, this sucks. :smith:

Never turn your friendship into a business, I guess.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

God drat it I was really looking forward to that re2 remake lp

Shiran
Feb 20, 2003

I’m very sad to see them split up. The podcast lives on and they’ll still be active in personal channels so this isn’t the end. But it just wont be the same.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
Didn't Pat just buy a house too, I hope the twitch donations can pay for it and all.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013

Judge Tesla posted:

Didn't Pat just buy a house too, I hope the twitch donations can pay for it and all.

Grocery store is always hiring

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Real talk Matt and pats friendship ending sucks the most. I really want to know the details but at least they were pretty upfront about it.

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

Monaghan posted:

Real talk Matt and pats friendship ending sucks the most. I really want to know the details but at least they were pretty upfront about it.

I figured another long break was coming, but the video opening with that hurt pretty bad.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Monaghan posted:

I really don't want to continue speculating but it definitely feels like the blow up over Paige being adjacent to the Ralph Retort/Dick Masterson show stuff was absolutely the final nail in the coffin. Things might've been degrading for a while from there but I'd be surprised if that wasn't the final impetus for the breakdown. Which sucks but... is understandable.

Honestly DMC V isn't the thing that sucks the most, it's the fact that there's no chance of RE2Make.

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g3jCAyPai2Y

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
billys real name isnt billy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Monaghan posted:

u can tell by the timing. matt got real salty and broke up with pat because pat wouldnt switch off of k. rool during the smash bros fisticuffs