Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FordCQC
Dec 23, 2007

THAT'S MAMA OYRX TO YOU GUARDIAN
It was stumbled onto while looking through SpaceBattles for stuff to post in the Weird Fanart thread.
*Pat voice* Perfect

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It's not even like Mickey Mouse is one of their major moneymakers anymore since they haven't done anything really notable with him in years besides the occasional half-decent cartoon short on YouTube.

It's his 90th birthday this year and they've had some specials on TV about it, but he's mostly relegated to the preschool age group these days. Mickey Mouse's Clubhouse was big for a while but now it's spun off to Mickey and the Roadster Racers. My kids have watched a bunch of these. There's also a series of short cartoons that really reminds me of the golden age of Ren and Stimpy, animation-wise but they don't like it as much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Mors Rattus posted:

Yeah, Disney's Pooh looks absolutely nothing like Milne's Pooh, who is very much based on a teddy bear design never really used any more. I think Piglet is the only one that actually resembles the Milne version.

The Disney versions are pretty unique and different than the originals, which you can see at the New York Public Library if you're ever there. Even the live action versions are different than the IRL ones, which is understandable because the originals are pretty generic.

RocknRollaAyatollah fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Dec 13, 2018

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I was actually thinking of the Milne illustrations, rather than the physical toys, but it's still true!

Except the Piglet thing.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Mors Rattus posted:

I was actually thinking of the Milne illustrations, rather than the physical toys, but it's still true!

Except the Piglet thing.

Yeah, Piglet is pretty close.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
That Tigger has seen some poo poo.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

This is like finding out that the Episode IV blockade runner model is bigger than the star destroyer one.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

The Disney versions are pretty unique and different than the originals, which you can see at the New York Public Library if you're ever there. Even the live action versions are different than the IRL ones, which is understandable because the originals are pretty generic.

I need to see that movie. Kinda cool how they made the animals look aged and weathered. Also reminds me of Detective Pikachu all of a sudden.

Baron Snow
Feb 8, 2007

Biomute posted:

Also, who wouldn't be upset being presented this abomination?

I know this was like 4 pages ago and I'm not really interested in bringing him back up, but I just wanted to say that this thing is so ugly some authors have taken measures against it. Here is a photo of Michael Swanwick's office by Kyle Cassidy, if you peek on his award wall to the right, you'll notice the mask he's given it. This has always amused me, so I wanted to share.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I need to see that movie. Kinda cool how they made the animals look aged and weathered. Also reminds me of Detective Pikachu all of a sudden.

I quite enjoyed it, but it's definitely firmly in the "film for nostalgic millennials pretending it's a kids' film" genre, being focused quite squarely on the experiences of a man juggling the responsibilities of being a parent and having a poo poo job. If you're a nostalgic millennial you'll probably like it, bit schmaltzy at the end.

Relevant to the thread:
http://www.kotaku.co.uk/2018/12/13/gamepedias-parent-company-has-been-aquired-by-fandom

Fandom, the folks who run wikia, have bought Curse from Twitch, which will include D&D Beyond. The D&D Beyond tem who've made posts on reddit are (of course) upbeat and positive about the move, but some (me) are concerned that it won't be long before D&D Beyond is loaded up with annoying lovely ads which redirect you to the app store if you try to browse a wikia site on a mobile device.

Reveilled fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Dec 14, 2018

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.
The great irony of the Christopher Robin movie is that the actual Christopher Robin would not have much cared for Winnie-the-Pooh coming back into his life - especially when he was at the age the character in the movie is.

https://www.countryliving.com/life/entertainment/a43801/real-christopher-robin-hated-winnie-the-pooh/

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Comrade Gorbash posted:

The great irony of the Christopher Robin movie is that the actual Christopher Robin would not have much cared for Winnie-the-Pooh coming back into his life - especially when he was at the age the character in the movie is.

https://www.countryliving.com/life/entertainment/a43801/real-christopher-robin-hated-winnie-the-pooh/

He sounds like a jackass

Darwinism
Jan 6, 2008

ravenkult posted:

He sounds like a jackass

Kid got bullied because his dad was too drat unoriginal to think of another name and resented it for a long time, also sounds like he didn't profit from his name being used, seems sort of reasonable to me?

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Darwinism posted:

Kid got bullied because his dad was too drat unoriginal to think of another name and resented it for a long time, also sounds like he didn't profit from his name being used, seems sort of reasonable to me?

I'm pretty sure bullying was built into being sent away to a boarding school in Britain in the 30s.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Right, coming out of those schools as an rear end in a top hat was an intended outcome. Made for good colonial officers.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

ravenkult posted:

I'm pretty sure bullying was built into being sent away to a boarding school in Britain in the 30s.

What exactly is your point here? The fictional version of himself was more successful in his father's eyes than he was, he had a rocky relationship with both parents because of that, but made peace with it in his later years.

Nuns with Guns fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Dec 14, 2018

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Nuns with Guns posted:

What exactly is your point here? The fictional version of himself was more successful in his father's eyes than he was, he had a rocky relationship with both parents because of that, but made peace with it in his later years.

His mom forcing him to dress and wear his hair super androgynously also probably didn’t help. Or her basically disowning him over his marriage, not due to the incestuous part but because she hated her brother.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

Reveilled posted:

I quite enjoyed it, but it's definitely firmly in the "film for nostalgic millennials pretending it's a kids' film" genre, being focused quite squarely on the experiences of a man juggling the responsibilities of being a parent and having a poo poo job. If you're a nostalgic millennial you'll probably like it, bit schmaltzy at the end.

Relevant to the thread:
http://www.kotaku.co.uk/2018/12/13/gamepedias-parent-company-has-been-aquired-by-fandom

Fandom, the folks who run wikia, have bought Curse from Twitch, which will include D&D Beyond. The D&D Beyond tem who've made posts on reddit are (of course) upbeat and positive about the move, but some (me) are concerned that it won't be long before D&D Beyond is loaded up with annoying lovely ads which redirect you to the app store if you try to browse a wikia site on a mobile device.

If it's a typical web app deal (which it may or may not be) the client (Wizards) has say over content and ads and whatnot, not the web agency. As I understand it, Wizards contracted with Curse for development, it's not Curse going to Wizards and licensing D&D for a Curse platform. (Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.)

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
Just thought everyone would like a reminder that the TG Industry has been in a state of active war for 30 years now:

https://twitter.com/N01H3r3/status/1073931772050767873

God bless all those brave soldiers who have fallen where they fought. :911:

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Pictured: a young rpgsite poster.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Mors Rattus posted:

Pictured: a young rpgsite poster.

Pundit's first published work?

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?
Check out my upcoming kickstarter for my AD&D clone ROMANTICS and ROLEPLAYERS.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Slimnoid posted:

Check out my upcoming kickstarter for my AD&D clone ROMANTICS and ROLEPLAYERS.

You joke, but have there been any games made with the intention of playing like AD&D 2nd edition was supposed to be played according to the text?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
"2E has too much roleplaying, the game should only care about the mechanics and dice rolls."
"4E doesn't have enough roleplaying, all it cares about is the mechanics and dice rolls."

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
If you dig far enough back into the Usenet archives, someone argues that codifying the rules into 1E threatened to turn the game into Nethack.

I wish I'd taken a screenshot.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Yeah but now positions get weirdly reversed and the SERIOUS ROLEPLAY team starts complaining about not being allowed roleplay if you suggest removing alignment, which was only ever there because the ACTUALLY WARGAMES team needed everyone to be clearly red, blue, or environment/shop.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

And to hell with you Crom if you are going to gamify roleplaying in any manner whatsoever. Role play not Roll play amirite?

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Nuns with Guns posted:

Just thought everyone would like a reminder that the TG Industry has been in a state of active war for 30 years now:

https://twitter.com/N01H3r3/status/1073931772050767873

God bless all those brave soldiers who have fallen where they fought. :911:

Man I wish I could RP good enough to talk like this guy. I love where he can't help himself from diving into alliteration. This reads like it was written by Dr. Smith from Lost in Space.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

remusclaw posted:

You joke, but have there been any games made with the intention of playing like AD&D 2nd edition was supposed to be played according to the text?

I'm not even sure AD&D 2e was that

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.

Wrestlepig posted:

Living City was late in the 2e cycle and is probably patient zero for the Rules As Written Though The Heavens Fall cult.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Wrestlepig posted:

It wasn't.
Like, Blue Rose makes an attempt at the Mercedes Lackey style novel, but I'm not sure there are any role playing games out there that try to hit that post Tolkien, David Eddings, Terry Brooks sort of feel that 2nd edition kind of goes for in it's how to play advice.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

AlphaDog posted:

Yeah but now positions get weirdly reversed and the SERIOUS ROLEPLAY team starts complaining about not being allowed roleplay if you suggest removing alignment, which was only ever there because the ACTUALLY WARGAMES team needed everyone to be clearly red, blue, or environment/shop.
A good 90% of paizo's forums are dominated by people who genuinely believe that actually analyzing the rules of the game and desiring the game be well designed means that you're some sort of sub human rules obsessed person playing to win.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

remusclaw posted:

And to hell with you Crom if you are going to gamify roleplaying in any manner whatsoever. Role play not Roll play amirite?

Recognisably, removing real roleplaying requires revising, reworking, roleplaying rules.

Terrible Opinions posted:

A good 90% of paizo's forums are dominated by people who genuinely believe that actually analyzing the rules of the game and desiring the game be well designed means that you're some sort of sub human rules obsessed person playing to win.

Yeah there's always been a large number of people who can't handle the idea that one half of "roleplaying game" actually counts.

They've always seemed to be roughly evenly divided over which half.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Dec 16, 2018

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

The proper system to run any game is Paranoia, frankly.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
The infinite cycle of arguments about the perfect balance between roleplaying and rules dating back to the very beginning amuses me, but I also like the documentation of the outrage at all this new blood entering the tabletop rpg scene thanks to Dragonlance novels reaching a wider audience of potential players that don't know how to play the game right because they weren't exposed to the correct way of doing things.

:thunk:

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
Double posting to share the Gary Gygax article the guy was citing:

https://twitter.com/derekthebard/status/1074377348848312320

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Thranguy posted:

Living City was late in the 2e cycle and is probably patient zero for the Rules As Written Though The Heavens Fall cult.

What does that even mean people are talking about some weird 2e rules cult I’ve never heard of

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Nuns with Guns posted:

Double posting to share the Gary Gygax article the guy was citing:

Given the clickbaity title, this article ends up surprisingly even handed.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Arivia posted:

What does that even mean people are talking about some weird 2e rules cult I’ve never heard of

Nightwatch in the Living City seems like it was very very procedural from its wikipedia description, right down to a flowchart of events, and that might have colored peoples's expectations of gameplay

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

I looked into living city stuff waaaaaay back when and it was very DOES NOT COMPUTE.

Errata: To correct unexpected result as experienced, player smiling happily is now mandatory for all results indicated as <fun> on the Table of Expected Outcomes (table 7c(ii)).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Bieeanshee posted:

If you dig far enough back into the Usenet archives, someone argues that codifying the rules into 1E threatened to turn the game into Nethack.

I wish I'd taken a screenshot.
The next best thing is all the people on usenet and such at the time in the 90s who angrily compared D&D3e to Diablo and contemporary anime stuff. Gamers never change.