Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

davidspackage posted:

Oh God, now I remember Nick Offerman clutching his penis.

Wait, what?

Also, I forget how Cy killed Kristen Bell's character. I just remember it was brutal. What did he do?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Wait, what?

Also, I forget how Cy killed Kristen Bell's character. I just remember it was brutal. What did he do?

https://youtu.be/gAnMUPNJtUw

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Wait, what?

It wasn't any worse than anything else that happens to people on this show (except that she was "a kid") and in fairness, she tried to both rob and stab Cy. After his cappers beat them so badly that she was "cockeyed" he rapped his knuckles on her head a few times and mocked her predicament before making joanie shoot her. He was incredibly sadistic during the ordeal. I think people really load up on how Eddie Sawyer was "hosed up" by the event. Cy was a giant oval office about it afterwards, saying that eddie caring was probably due to wanting to gently caress the male counterpart. Later you see her dress balled up in the corner of wu's pig sty which is a pretty sinister little detail but again, no worse than many others got.

Qmass fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Dec 15, 2018

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Qmass posted:

It wasn't any worse than anything else that happens to people on this show (except that she was "a kid") and in fairness, she tried to both rob and stab Cy. After his cappers beat them so badly that she was "cockeyed" he rapped his knuckles on her head a few times and mocked her predicament before making joanie shoot her. He was incredibly sadistic during the ordeal. I think people really load up on how Eddie Sawyer was "hosed up" by the event. Cy was a giant oval office about it afterwards, saying that eddie caring was probably due to wanting to gently caress the male counterpart. Later you see her dress balled up in the corner of wu's pig sty which is a pretty sinister little detail but again, no worse than many others got.

Punching her in her obviously fractured skull seemed particularly brutal. You’re not wrong that she didn’t get it much worse than a lot of people on the show but on the other hand it was still pretty harsh.

I still think that Andy Reid getting his eye ripped out by Dan was up there as one of the harsher things in the show as well.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
The two big differences for most of the people who got it as bad/worse than those two:
1) They had a ~chance~ to give as good as they got (Bullock's various fights, Dan and the Captain, Al and Bullock)
2) The person doing the murdering/beating did not take pleasure in it.

Those two things make that one of the most disturbing scenes in the show, for me.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Offerman played a road agent whose brother got killed, and Al tries to placate him with pussy. At some point he shows up in Al's doorway gleefully holding his pecker. Here, I'll pull up my screengrabs...

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.

AFewBricksShy posted:

Punching her in her obviously fractured skull seemed particularly brutal. You’re not wrong that she didn’t get it much worse than a lot of people on the show but on the other hand it was still pretty harsh.

I still think that Andy Reid getting his eye ripped out by Dan was up there as one of the harsher things in the show as well.

These are two of the stand out moments that made me wince, for different reasons. The Captain/Danfight was just visceral and brutal and the eye ripping was graphic, quick, and brutal.

But it didn't fill me with the sense of dread that the whole Cy/Kristen Bell thing did. She tried to rob him and all, but I think the fact was once she was caught she was defenseless, small, and her fate sealed long before it eventuated. It was drawn out and rather than two people equally in a life or dead struggle this was just sadistic.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
The fight between Dan and the captain was almost too much for me.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler
Thanks thread, just finished a Justified rewatch and now I started a Deadwood re-watch because of you. Angry Timothy Olyphant is the best Timothy Olyphant. And here's a quote for you:

Al: What's your partner so mad about all the time?
Sol: He's not mad.
Al: He has a mean way of being happy.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
One of my favorite Deadwood is Bullock trying to enthuse people for their goods.

"We got boots, to sell ya..."

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Cojawfee posted:

The fight between Dan and the captain was almost too much for me.

First time I watched it I was honestly concerned that they were going to kill Dan. Again, like Al, he's not really a good person but he was an amazing character and I didn't want to see him get killed in the street by some rear end in a top hat.

I read a review recently and they said that Hearst and Al both had to give the nod to kill when it was almost over, and Al just going for it instead of Hearst waiting is what kept Dan alive but I didn't see it. I always saw it as Al knew what was up when it started and sending Dan out was the nod to kill the other dude. He'd rather get Dan back and have to deal with any fallout than lose Dan. I haven't gotten to that episode on my rewatch yet though. It's a drat brutal fight and I'll need to psych myself up for it even knowing the ending.

Zane
Nov 14, 2007
i agree the dark male anti-hero character type is an annoying prestige television phenomenon. on the other hand people like swearengen (basically patriarchal gangster strongmen) always tend to show up on lawless frontiers. it's a case of the myth being completely adequate to the reality for once.

Zane fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Dec 15, 2018

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Zane posted:

i agree the dark male anti-hero character type is an annoying prestige television phenomenon. on the other hand people like swearengen (basically patriarchal gangster strongmen) always tend to show up on lawless frontiers. it's a case of the myth being completely adequate to the reality for once.
It's also nice that it's far-removed enough from our time that people don't take it in as much as they would a Walter White or Don Draper.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
Cy killing Kristen Bell's character is one of the most disturbing things I've ever seen on TV or in movies.

E: Maybe that scene in Bone Tomahawk. You know the one.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Laterite posted:

Cy killing Kristen Bell's character is one of the most disturbing things I've ever seen on TV or in movies.

E: Maybe that scene in Bone Tomahawk. You know the one.

Do you have kids? If so, don't watch (or rewatch) Oz. I've seen the show all the way through probably 5-6 times, and what Hank Shillinger does to Beecher's son, and what Coyle confesses to are probably my top two disturbing things from any tv show.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

davidspackage posted:

One of my favorite Deadwood is Bullock trying to enthuse people for their goods.

"We got boots, to sell ya..."

YES!

....got ya boots here, boys.... :shobon:

He's so obviously completely unqualified to be a salesman, it's amazing. But then you have the bit where the guy stomps up and says he doesn't want to wait in line so he'll pay up now and pick them up later, and Bullock quietly takes him aside and explains,"You stand in line like everybody else, got that? :toughguy:"

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

YES!

....got ya boots here, boys.... :shobon:

He's so obviously completely unqualified to be a salesman, it's amazing. But then you have the bit where the guy stomps up and says he doesn't want to wait in line so he'll pay up now and pick them up later, and Bullock quietly takes him aside and explains,"You stand in line like everybody else, got that? :toughguy:"

Same with the guy who turns up with the fake soap scam. Bullock is immediately like “oh yes! I know how to take care of this! I’m good at this!”

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

davidspackage posted:

Offerman played a road agent whose brother got killed, and Al tries to placate him with pussy. At some point he shows up in Al's doorway gleefully holding his pecker. Here, I'll pull up my screengrabs...

you forgot the links, friend

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

thepokey posted:

Same with the guy who turns up with the fake soap scam. Bullock is immediately like “oh yes! I know how to take care of this! I’m good at this!”
I can see I'm in good company, because in response to J-Ru's post, I went looking for this very clip, but the only one I could find is the follow-up that isn't very interesting.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
He hates the soap man SO MUCH.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

The "SOAP WITH A PRIZE INSIDE!" guy who is working with his partner who pretends to be a customer (who claims he got like $5 in his bar of soap!) were real scammers that worked in various towns/camps out west mid-eighteenth century, and they'd just go from town to town for as long as they could get away with overcharging for crappy bars of soap with usually nothing of value in them for a "prize", and as soon as the sheriff caught on they'd just go somewhere new.

kaworu fucked around with this message at 12:48 on Dec 16, 2018

UNRULY_HOUSEGUEST
Jul 19, 2006

mea culpa
It's telling of how far our attachment to Deadwood's protagonists skews our moral perspective, that we reflexively side with Bullock against a guy who was just trying to get the camp residents to loving wash

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

kaworu posted:

The "SOAP WITH A PRIZE INSIDE!" guy who is working with his partner who pretends to be a customer (who claims he got like $5 in his bar of soap!) were real scammers that worked in various towns/camps out west mid-eighteenth century, and they'd just go from town to town for as long as they could get away with overcharging for crappy bars of soap with usually nothing of value in them for a "prize", and as soon as the sheriff caught on they'd just go somewhere new.
fucken loot boxes, even then...

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

Qmass posted:

fucken loot boxes, even then...

Deadwood streets were the ComicCon merch aisles of their time.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Probably Infected
Feb 17, 2010
College Slice
Hot drat.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

My cock is fully sucked.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
That's a total Ned Flanders

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
I’m going to be honest: part of me still didn’t believe this was real until today...
:allears:

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
Also, that's a mighty fine dongle on his pocketwatch chain and ~of course~ Bullock buttons the bottom of his waistcoat. :laugh:

(it actually wouldn't become fashionable for another 10 years to leave it unbuttoned...)

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

I’m going to be honest: part of me still didn’t believe this was real until today...
:allears:

I'm still having problems honestly

poo poo sure got strange, fellas

Also, does mcshane look younger somehow?

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

EB: Be brief
Jane: Be hosed!

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Those who dislike these pictures suck cock by choice.

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

The Gem looks like it got a bit of an upgrade since we last saw it.

Seth is full blown Kurt Russell-Wyatt Earp now.

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit
Finally, a payoff to the hours upon hours of antler-prayer.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.
This is it. Dreams into reality.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Roman Reigns posted:

The Gem looks like it got a bit of an upgrade since we last saw it.

Seth is full blown Kurt Russell-Wyatt Earp now.

In real life, I believe the Gem had burned down between the show ending and the movie.

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

gently caress me this needs to come out now.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Cojawfee posted:

In real life, I believe the Gem had burned down between the show ending and the movie.

yeah, the occasional references to fire marshalls and fire safety in Season 3 were because much of Deadwood burned down in 1879

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Holy gently caress, it's actually real. It's actually happening :stwoon: