Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

CPL593H posted:

The Mobile Fidelity ones are good.

Yeah, seconding MoFi Master sleeves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Hey MrSargent, I'm late to the party but if you have any more of your single I'll snag one too.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

CPL593H posted:

The Mobile Fidelity ones are good.

Seconding MoFi. Here is a link to them on Amazon at a reasonable price.

https://www.amazon.com/MOBILE-FIDEL...+record+sleeves

Sweeper posted:

I got my 45 and it sounds great! Double thanks for the bonus soul!

Thanks a lot! Glad you are enjoying both.

Enos Cabell posted:

Hey MrSargent, I'm late to the party but if you have any more of your single I'll snag one too.

I do have a few left, I'll shoot you a PM with details.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Thanks for the MoFi rec. I had heard some people say that their liners tend to be too small for some records so I was a bit wary on jumping on it right away. Has anyone also tried Diskeeper's sleeves? Also I wasn't sure if there was a paper-backed anti-static option that wasn't too expensive, as I sometimes have trouble with all-plastic sleeves not getting bunched up when put in the outer sleeve.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Ballz posted:

Thanks for the MoFi rec. I had heard some people say that their liners tend to be too small for some records so I was a bit wary on jumping on it right away. Has anyone also tried Diskeeper's sleeves? Also I wasn't sure if there was a paper-backed anti-static option that wasn't too expensive, as I sometimes have trouble with all-plastic sleeves not getting bunched up when put in the outer sleeve.

I've used a couple hundred mofi sleeves and I've yet to have a problem inserting a disc into them.

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

Ballz posted:

I use the diskeeper sleeves, but honestly it’s because a friend buys them for me. They work fine and fit all the records that go into them.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
Live on tape to vinyl from the Saturday Night Live Band in Japan from New York, it’s Saturday Night in 1983, and also 1987, and in December 2018

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1Qnr5h5Q4k

Very happy to finally have this, and arriving on a Saturday is just :sax:

(sad! to have missed out on a copy with the obi, but hey. It’s Japan-exclusive SNL Band tracks from the 80s on vinyl, it shouldn’t even exist.)

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say

Ballz posted:

I bought some diskeeper sleeves recently (rounded bottom) and they are a few mm too wide. when I put them into inner sleeves they generally don't fit in there without bunching up a little bit and making the inner sleeves and jacket bulge slightly

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
Soaking of record sleeves, what are some other nice little bonus accessories you guys would recommend as a stocking stuffer type gift for other record collectors? Like an anti-static brush or one of those little rolly cleany guys or something.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
GRUV GLIDE

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Record weight

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

45 adapters.

trdn89
Aug 16, 2008
From least expensive to most:

Stylus cleaning brush: https://www.amazon.com/Sleeve-City-Diskeeper-Stylus-Brush/dp/B00B1VB0G0/ref=pd_cp_267_3
Stylus scale (this is a particularly nice gift since it’s incredibly useful but rarely used): https://www.amazon.com/Neoteck-Digital-Turntable-Backlight-Cartridge/dp/B01HRJ9NAY/ref=sr_1_7
Vibrapod feet: https://www.amazon.com/Vibrapod-Isolator-Isolation-Feet-Model/dp/B003P50FTI/ref=sr_1_4
Onzow ZeroDust: https://www.amazon.com/Onzow-ZERODUST-ZeroDust-Stylus-Cleaner/dp/B00ERPWAK2/ref=sr_1_1
Miley Zerostat gun: https://www.amazon.com/Milty-5036694022153-Zerostat-Anti-Static-Blue/dp/B0033SHDSS

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.
If anyone was on the fence about VMP's Tha Carter III, let me kindly suggest you grab it before it sells out. I think this might be the loudest record in my collection and it has absolutely zero surface noise. I have the fader on my mixer cranked to the max, and I am still not redlining which is pretty rare. "A Milli" and "Let the Beat Build" sound so drat good. Sorry I keep posting about this record, but I really am blown away.

The 311 Lifestyle
Feb 16, 2018

just trippin'
and laughin'
at the crap
i found a zerostat gun from the 80s at goodwill, still works great

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Umm, I just received this record in the mail yesterday and upon further inspection, it appears that DJ Muggs signed the cover above his picture...I verified that the silver scribble does not appear on any pictures of the album cover. That would be pretty drat cool.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I never get why people sell their autographed stuff except for $$. I picked up a Good Clean Fun record at a local store a bunch of years ago, and it was covered with signatures personalized to a kid I knew. Even if I go off the bands I generally keep stuff like that.

pwn
May 27, 2004

MrSargent posted:

If anyone was on the fence about VMP's Tha Carter III, let me kindly suggest you grab it before it sells out. I think this might be the loudest record in my collection and it has absolutely zero surface noise. I have the fader on my mixer cranked to the max, and I am still not redlining which is pretty rare. "A Milli" and "Let the Beat Build" sound so drat good. Sorry I keep posting about this record, but I really am blown away.
I don’t see myself spending $40 or whatever it costs on that record, but it would be cool to hear it at a friend’s house.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

EL BROMANCE posted:

I never get why people sell their autographed stuff except for $$. I picked up a Good Clean Fun record at a local store a bunch of years ago, and it was covered with signatures personalized to a kid I knew. Even if I go off the bands I generally keep stuff like that.

Oh I pre-ordered this directly from the Soul Assassins website (DJ Muggs' label) so it wasn't someone selling off their autograph copy. He might have signed a handful of the first orders or something. Kinda cool he did that without it being advertised.

pwn posted:

I don’t see myself spending $40 or whatever it costs on that record, but it would be cool to hear it at a friend’s house.

Signing up for VMP for one month is $29. That would get you Tha Carter III including shipping. Or if there were 3 records you really wanted, you could sign up for 3 months at $27/month and save a few dollars. Whether that's worth it or not for yah, I don't know but I would get it now before it sells out and the price gets jacked up on discogs.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Ah, that’s super neat then!

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

EL BROMANCE posted:

Drug money

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Nah, I don't buy it. The point of buying drugs is to use them while listening to records.

I dare you to find a better surface to do cocaine off of than a copy of Feels so Good by Chuck Mangione.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Best cocaine surface challenger.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

This is a good post. Might end up grabbing two of those scales, one for my brother in law and the other for myself.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Boinks posted:

Drug money

Ha, works even better as GCF are a straightedge band. Rejecting the edge to buy drugs! Classic break.

TheJetCityFix
Feb 3, 2004

Errday I'm Russellin'
Yo Sergeant, Matt from Too Many Records totally just pumped your single on his YouTube channel. I was stoked to see that!

pwn
May 27, 2004

MrSargent posted:

Signing up for VMP for one month is $29. That would get you Tha Carter III including shipping. Or if there were 3 records you really wanted, you could sign up for 3 months at $27/month and save a few dollars. Whether that's worth it or not for yah, I don't know but I would get it now before it sells out and the price gets jacked up on discogs.
Ugh. I don’t even have money until next month. If it’s still available then, maybe I’ll buy it. Do they continue selling Records of the Month after their month hath passed?

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
Usually they have them available as swaps or additional purchases within a month or two of the original date unless it’s something massively popular like when they reissued Demon Days for the first time a year plus ago.

I’ll also second how great a pressing it is. I really need to get that new subwoofer I keep putting off.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Yuck. (Mondo's release this week - The Autopsy Of Jane Doe score)

:nws:https://imgur.com/AlgCTZF :nws:

You could also re-use the die cut pattern for an Alien release.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

EL BROMANCE posted:

You’re only punk once.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Finally found the certificates for these --

MrSargent, did you want the Phyllis Hyman still, and Stan Taylor, the RB Greaves one?

MrSargent posted:

I would definitely be interested in these. Shoot me a PM if you can to work out details.

When did they sell off his record collection? I would have probably gone bankrupt if I had known about it at the time so I am kinda thankful.

Stan Taylor posted:

Also interested if things don't work out with the goon who posted before me.

Ballz posted:

Third in line in case the two goons in front of me get hit by buses. :gerty:

boop the snoot posted:

drat I’ll say forth in line because at that point it’s just destiny.

lament.cfg fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Dec 18, 2018

screaden
Apr 8, 2009
Phyllis Hyman is a great Bond girl

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Paul ReiserFS posted:

MrSargent, did you want the Phyllis Hyman still, and Stan Taylor, the RB Greaves one?

Absolutely I do!

pwn
May 27, 2004

I have the best friend. Received a gift in the mail, today.

more photos here

Funny, they actually messed up the tracklisting on the back cover; B1 and B2 are actually A11 and A12. They got it right on the label, though.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

My Beetlejuice should be here on Friday and I am hyyyyyyyyyyped.

Also goddamn, Secret Records always knocks it out of the park with their Residents releases.

I got #68/165. My best friend got #69. Unacceptable.

caligulamprey fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Dec 18, 2018

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

pwn posted:

I have the best friend. Received a gift in the mail, today.

more photos here

Funny, they actually messed up the tracklisting on the back cover; B1 and B2 are actually A11 and A12. They got it right on the label, though.

Does the main theme have the little vocal bit doing Day O at the beginning?

pwn
May 27, 2004

CPL593H posted:

Does the main theme have the little vocal bit doing Day O at the beginning?
No, surprisingly. It has the choral “Daylight come...” bit, but not the dude soloing before that.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

pwn posted:

No, surprisingly. It has the choral “Daylight come...” bit, but not the dude soloing before that.

Yeah I've heard it a few times without the opening bit which is why I was wondering. I wonder if it's some kind of rights/royalty thing.

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

360 kickflip to... Meteo?!

caligulamprey posted:

My Beetlejuice should be here on Friday and I am hyyyyyyyyyyped.

Also goddamn, Secret Records always knocks it out of the park with their Residents releases.

I got #68/165. My best friend for #69. Unacceptable.

Every record I've gotten from them is easily top tier in terms of quality, both in packaging and sound quality. I'm glad you posted them however many months back.

This particular Residents release is real good too. Molly Harvey fits in real well with the Residents style.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

Paul ReiserFS posted:

Hell yeah man! Still looking for around $40 + shipping?