Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Enos Cabell posted:

No, it's even stupider than that. They traded the Cruze back for a different used 2016 Spark, the same model they started with.
Oh Jesus. Reading fail. But that's amazing.

quote:

My parents want me to co-sign a 300K loan...

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/a67t47/my_parents_want_me_to_cosign_a_300k_loan/
u/ireddit02
Hello

As the title states my parents would like me to co-sign a 300K loan. I’m not very savvy about this type of stuff so I’m hoping you guys can help me. I’m committed to getting answers to any questions you have to help me best understand this situation and what I should do.

Some backstory:

My parents bought a house in 1995 for 400k. They had it fully paid off by 2000. Sometime in 2008 my parents took a 300k loan against the house to help keep their business afloat. All the money has been sunk into the business and the business was shut down last year.

Apparently my parents had been making interest payments against the loan for the past 10 years however now they are at a point where they need to pay back interest + principal. Their solution is to take another 300k loan from another bank to pay the first bank off in full. Only issue is that my dad is unemployed and my mom only makes 50k a year so they can’t get the loan unless I co-sign.

What are my options? What do I need to know? What questions do you have that will help the reddit community better understand the situation?

I should add: that I want to help them. We have a very give and take relationship. They paid for my entire undergrad and grad out of their pockets so I would never have to deal with student loans. (Almost 200k).

Please help. Thank You.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

* The Atlantic used to be a very prestigious monthly magazine, but it got bought by some dotcom idiots in the 2000s and they fired the staff in order to "pivot to the web"

The Atlantic is one of the few print magazines that’s seen an increase in subscribers over the last decade and they still put out very good work (i.e. their repatriations article).

The web content isn’t as good, but I don’t think it’s meant to be. There’s a difference between monthly content and daily. I think the magazine has done a good job of surviving, which isn’t easy today.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

Journalists who work for real newspapers tend to be paid pretty well. But I suspect the only way to get that job is to be born rich and go to the "right" schools.

Folks banging out "journalism" for the Atlantic* or Vox or whatever are neither paid well nor necessarily born into wealth, so goodness only knows how they survive.

* The Atlantic used to be a very prestigious monthly magazine, but it got bought by some dotcom idiots in the 2000s and they fired the staff in order to "pivot to the web"

You’re thinking of The New Republic.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
-Sugar daddy, untreated diabetes
-Demanda

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Demanda sounds like the name of an artificial sweetener so it all makes sense, really.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Hoodwinker posted:

Demanda sounds like the name of an artificial sweetener so it all makes sense, really.

demanda is what we called this really bossy girl in 5th grade (her name was amanda)

howdoesishotweb
Nov 21, 2002

Murderball posted:

-Demanda

3542 people said “like” so :confuoot:

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Murderball posted:

-Demanda
-Racehorse
-Whipits
-Cheating bodyguard pretending to be gay

Call me overly frugal but I'm not buying this one.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
She demanda lot of money

also maybe get into findomming. I call it the min max way to whore

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Doc Hawkins posted:

-Racehorse
-Whipits
-Cheating bodyguard pretending to be gay

Call me overly frugal but I'm not buying this one.

I like to think that when she wrote “on whippets” it wasn’t a spelling mistake.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

I lust for the ruination this could bring.

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

I'd like to introduce you to some of the most special of our rocks and minerals.
Soiled Meat
I know we're pretty down on crypto here, but I think a new altcoin backed by the US government could really fix some of the major problems with existing coins. Maybe they could even manufacture physical tokens representing certain amounts of currency so people don't have to deal with shady exchanges. And since it's been shown that tether can manipulate stabilize prices by virtue of being pegged to USD, maybe this new currency could have the same property in order to avoid volatility.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Magissima posted:

I know we're pretty down on crypto here, but I think a new altcoin backed by the US government could really fix some of the major problems with existing coins. Maybe they could even manufacture physical tokens representing certain amounts of currency so people don't have to deal with shady exchanges. And since it's been shown that tether can manipulate stabilize prices by virtue of being pegged to USD, maybe this new currency could have the same property in order to avoid volatility.

Source your quote because I have to know where something this powerfully dumb came from

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

I'd like to introduce you to some of the most special of our rocks and minerals.
Soiled Meat
:thejoke:

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

FAUXTON posted:

Source your quote because I have to know where something this powerfully dumb came from

Really?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

I got to "altcoin backed by the us government" and gave up on the rest.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
The joke is that the new altcoin is just the US dollar. :geno:

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

FAUXTON posted:

I was trying to decide if it was some elaborate troll. Jury is still out.

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

Soiled Meat
A lot of crypto "investors" do seem to rediscover the benefits of centralization whenever a new crisis hits, so I guess I can't rule out the possibility of someone genuinely wanting a government cryptocurrency for some reason

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

FAUXTON posted:

Which is more readily usable? Bitcoin or the Sacajawea Dollar coin?

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

CannonFodder posted:

No bits coin has ever paid for my parking or my light rail ticket so....

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

CannonFodder posted:

The dollar coin because it doesn't lose 50% of it's exchange value in like a month and a half.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Guest2553 posted:

I lust for the ruination this could bring.

I heard this on NPR and the interviewer like did a double take when this was proposed.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug
It's a real proposal by a real elected official in the US who read about Venezuala's crypto attempt and stopped after the first paragraph of the first story on it.

In general, I am mildly curious at what point cognitive dissonance totally kicks in with government sponsored altcoins.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

FAUXTON posted:

this would be a good payday 2 joke

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web
I liked ur post

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
Owner/Developer buys a 1200sqft historical house in San Fran, gets planning permission to extensively remodel it. Decides instead to demolish the whole thing, so he can build a new 4000sqft house on the plot. Retroactively applies for permission to demolish.

Committee decides to make an example out of this guy, and orders him to rebuild the house exactly as it was before.

https://outline.com/aasLq6

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Elysium posted:

Owner/Developer buys a 1200sqft historical house in San Fran, gets planning permission to extensively remodel it. Decides instead to demolish the whole thing, so he can build a new 4000sqft house on the plot. Retroactively applies for permission to demolish.

Committee decides to make an example out of this guy, and orders him to rebuild the house exactly as it was before.

guillotine the council, demolish all painted ladies, build 50 story concrete soulless apartments on the rubble

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

bob dobbs is dead posted:

guillotine the council, demolish all painted ladies, build 50 story concrete soulless apartments on the rubble

This guy gets it.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
choose your level

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

otoh this guy is a shithead and it's funny that he got hosed over

quote:

The approved 2014 plan — proposed by a previous owner — allowed for the removal of most of the existing structure, he said. “We acknowledge and apologize for the fact that a small portion of the work exceeded the scope in the approved plans,” he said, adding that the decision was made “for life-safety reasons.”

Whoops I wanted to be able to sell the new, larger house for millions more so I destroyed this one, but it was for my safety you see.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Inept posted:

otoh this guy is a shithead and it's funny that he got hosed over

Whoops I wanted to be able to sell the new, larger house for millions more but it was for my safety you see.

he should be guillotined for making a 4000sq ft single family home instead of a 50 story soulless concrete apartment

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

choose your level

I vote we just go right for level 6 and be done with it.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Elysium posted:

Reading the article it seems like this was somewhat rampant and this developer just happened to draw the short straw (wasn't well enough connected / didn't grease the right palms ) on enforcement action. I feel like if you wanted to really crack down on this the fine would be fixed at the spread between purchase price and sale price. Or this same punishment, as a way of getting a free code upgrade out of a developer who doesn't pull the right permits.

I wish developers had to take out a bond that was tied to their specific performance of the building plans they were approved for. No more crying that they're only going to make 150k/condo instead of their planned 250k/condo (net profit) so they just stop work halfway through. If you don't meet your deadlines the city takes your bond. They should be super cheap to obtain so long as developers don't force cities to cash them out.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

he should be guillotined for making a 4000sq ft single family home instead of a 50 story soulless concrete apartment

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.

choose your level

-1 please

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
Scrapping zoning, rent control, parking requirements, HOAs and the mortgage interest deduction should all go under -1 since that's pretty much what deregulation/free market mean.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Elysium posted:

I think this is p hilarious tbqh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

choose your level

Can we do a #2 without completely eliminating zoning but somehow getting the NIMBY out of it?