Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is Game of the Year?
This poll is closed.
Celeste 33 7.10%
Spider-man 10 2.15%
Red Dead Redemption 2 32 6.88%
Super Smash Brothers Ultimate 32 6.88%
Monster Hunter World 63 13.55%
God of War 26 5.59%
Into the Breach 7 1.51%
Hitman 2 17 3.66%
Dragon Ball Fighterz 4 0.86%
Blazblue Cross Tag Battle 0 0%
Tetris Effect 2 0.43%
Graveyard Keep 3 0.65%
Octopath Traveler 6 1.29%
Assassin's Creed Odyssey 12 2.58%
Bloodstained Curse of the Moon 5 1.08%
Something not listed multiplatform 18 3.87%
Something not listed by Nintendo 1 0.22%
Something not listed by Sony 2 0.43%
Something not listed by Microsoft 1 0.22%
Something not listed on PC 15 3.23%
Something not listed that's indie 15 3.23%
Something that came out late last year 2 0.43%
Something that didn't come out this year but you played this year 23 4.95%
Something that doesn't fit other categories but you want anyways 4 0.86%
Bowsette 132 28.39%
Total: 465 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

James snuffs out the competitors!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Man why do phone games get the coolest openings?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JR2trCayMDM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lb1aUJPDIlE

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Samuringa posted:

lol

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
I never watched Super Best Friends and I guess it’s too late to start now

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.
Why are the things following spaceships called "options"?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

They weren't part of the base package.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

explosivo posted:

Came here to post something about this because man this sucks but it's not exactly surprising considering how things have been going over there lately. I was starting to get suspicious when everyone started leaning heavily into their own solo stuff but convinced myself they were just side gigs.

It's dumb to get worked up about 30-something internet personalities going their own ways (even though it looks like Woolie and Pat will be doing stuff) but this one's a bummer. With Sips pivoting full time to twitch over a year ago and now this, it's a big chunk of stuff I used to watch on YouTube that's now gone.

There's lot of great stuff but alt-right Mario Sunshine speedrunners if you're interested in joining the community.

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Leave me to do my dark bidding on the internet!

explosivo posted:

Came here to post something about this because man this sucks but it's not exactly surprising considering how things have been going over there lately. I was starting to get suspicious when everyone started leaning heavily into their own solo stuff but convinced myself they were just side gigs.

It's dumb to get worked up about 30-something internet personalities going their own ways (even though it looks like Woolie and Pat will be doing stuff) but this one's a bummer. With Sips pivoting full time to twitch over a year ago and now this, it's a big chunk of stuff I used to watch on YouTube that's now gone.

Kinda where I am, too. I was really jazzed for 2019 and seeing Matt and Pat bumble through RE2make and Woolie & Pat bumble through DMC5. It was super off to see that the amount of content coming out that had no Matt & Pat in it. I hope they find a way to salvage their friendship one day. :smith:

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Not the best way for 2018 to go out. When that video starts off with Woolie saying Matt and Pat are no longer friends, it stung. They were probably one of the only YT channels I watched for gameplay. I know it's stupid to link but I will always find this part of their injokes hilarious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50HjAk5gRDY

Still makes me laugh. :unsmith:

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3
Why is that video longer than 15 seconds.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Holy poo poo I just started playing Heavenly Sword and I am just completely enrapt. The music, the beauty of the art, the characters, it's all so rich. This is everything I wanted Ninja Gaiden to be.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Rarity posted:

This is everything I wanted Ninja Gaiden to be.

Ew

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
I'm glad those friend guys can acknowledge that things have changed instead of just plugging away until they hate each other

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Rarity posted:

Holy poo poo I just started playing Heavenly Sword and I am just completely enrapt. The music, the beauty of the art, the characters, it's all so rich. This is everything I wanted Ninja Gaiden to be.

Gross

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Macaluso posted:

All other newspaper comic strips bow the gently caress down to Nancy.

Sluggo is Lit, yes

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Endorph posted:

i hope they presented it like

MYTH: we like each other

BUSTED

There was an incredible panel they did once where they revealed a bunch of the Wacky Pranks they got up to on the show were imposed by the network. Everyone really just wanted to film their loving TV program and go home but they had to electrocute eachother and awkwardly mug for the cameras instead

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Samuringa posted:

Final Smash is a giant pillow comes down and flattens everyone.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Nah, his Final Smash is That Dog, who messes with the stage.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Why y'all gotta be hating, yo?

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
lmfao

https://twitter.com/ae2501maeth/status/1074328300481363969

Oops all Nazi

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i don’t know who the super best friends are so all i can say is woolie, pat, sips, and matt would make some good names for a group of puppies

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Rarity posted:

Why y'all gotta be hating, yo?

For me its because its a God of War style game that features some rather bad implementation of the sixaxis and has awful bossfights on top of its other middling (not the graphics) qualities. I like Ninja Gaiden/DMC/Bayonetta style and dont care for God of War anywhere near as much so to me youre suggesting both a flat downgrade and a misconception of what Ninja Gaiden's gameplay and combat seeks to achieve.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Everything wrong with Heavenly Sword is redeemed by Andy Serkis

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

haveblue posted:

Everything wrong with Heavenly Sword is redeemed by Andy Serkis
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3UyxZZYuRo

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Barudak posted:

For me its because its a God of War style game that features some rather bad implementation of the sixaxis and has awful bossfights on top of its other middling (not the graphics) qualities. I like Ninja Gaiden/DMC/Bayonetta style and dont care for God of War anywhere near as much so to me youre suggesting both a flat downgrade and a misconception of what Ninja Gaiden's gameplay and combat seeks to achieve.

I get that it's not going to have the depth of combat that Ninja Gaiden had but for me there were so many things about that game that were shoddy and the negatives really got in the way of it being a top quality game for me. I'll happily trade a bit of a downgrade in gameplay for all of those issues being fixed.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Rarity posted:

I get that it's not going to have the depth of combat that Ninja Gaiden had but for me there were so many things about that game that were shoddy and the negatives really got in the way of it being a top quality game for me. I'll happily trade a bit of a downgrade in gameplay for all of those issues being fixed.

Im not sure what your concerns were, but for me mechanically across the board Heavenly Sword was a downgrade for me.

Again except graphics cause those look pretty good even now

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

corn in the bible posted:

There was an incredible panel they did once where they revealed a bunch of the Wacky Pranks they got up to on the show were imposed by the network. Everyone really just wanted to film their loving TV program and go home but they had to electrocute eachother and awkwardly mug for the cameras instead

I found myth busters unwatchable once the interns started getting scripted dialogue

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

I was gonna joke about DmC killing them but this is funnier

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Cowcaster posted:

i don’t know who the super best friends are so all i can say is woolie, pat, sips, and matt would make some good names for a group of puppies

I name my cats after Yakuza 0 bosses

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Taintrunner posted:

Pro strat

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

only if Pantsless Man is included

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I was gonna joke about DmC killing them but this is funnier

Pats the red headed one right? His solo stuff has been crappy archives of streams while the others have all put work into their stuff. If he's really chudding it up he can get hosed i guess. Hope he enjoys that grift.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Taintrunner posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKbkd4M_ZVk

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Barudak posted:

Im not sure what your concerns were, but for me mechanically across the board Heavenly Sword was a downgrade for me.

Again except graphics cause those look pretty good even now

The story was trite, I felt grossed out every time Rachel showed up, the world felt very empty, the platforming was janky and the camera was complete shite. Based on Chapter 1, Heavenly Sword does so much better in every regard.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kuze is literally the name of my cat

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Real hurthling! posted:

I found myth busters unwatchable once the interns started getting scripted dialogue

it improved immensely once budget cuts made them fire the interns

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Are Nancy and Mafalda the same person

Or is this a Señor Spielbergo thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

bentacos posted:

Holy poo poo it's that bad?

Everything in the entire mod is just retooled to be annoying, stupid damage sponges. Most unique boss classes have innate PhysDef UP, MagDef UP, Move -> Restore MP, and MP Switch, so they're just impossible to kill in a timely manner. This is to "prevent the player from exploiting assassination missions." Which is. Yknow. The entire loving point of assassination missions. The bosses themselves aren't any more challenging, they just take forever.

For example, all of Adramalek's attacks drain HP--not equal to the HP of the target, but just equal to his base strength. He casts Night Sword that does 720 damage, his basic attack does 999 and restores 999, and he also has Critical Quick so you have to get him into a very specific HP range (which you can't see, because he's marked as Mighty so his stats are hidden) and then dump a ton of damage on him in one go.

Almost none of the combat changes in LFT are interesting; basically the dev built a bunch of enemy units with weird cheese strats and overtooled builds that you would expect the player to use, or annoying gotchas like putting Counter Flood on almost every fodder unit just for the 20% chance that the counter will inflict the player with some terrible status effect like Petrify or Don't Act. Oh also he likes to hide special boss skills like Dark Magic or Holy Magic on regular enemies, so you spend most of the battles trying to remember the range of Flare 2 or whatever.

FirstAidKite posted:

Have you ever played that mod where you play through as cloud, snake, link, dante, and ramza?

No, but I want to. But I also want to wait until it's finished, which sadly it probably never will be :(

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Dec 16, 2018