Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*
That dude also did the PC version: https://twitter.com/WydD/status/1054840298482909185

Apparently some other settings can make it around 4 frames, so marginally better than before (and around the PS4 input lag I guess)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

Trip report: Same drat game.

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

"I tried to DP" will totally still be a thing. Even before it was more often a case of hosed up inputs rather than lag.

Also before anyone suggests it, PC will never be the tournament standard due to the controller hell. Even if standard PS4 controllers worked without any hassle, someone will show up with their custom bongo drums controller or something and it all goes to poo poo.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
I'm having that lovely issue on PC where the Hori Mini decides that, actually, the ability to move to the right is unnecessary.
I've deleted the input file in configs a few times, disabled everything controller related through Steam and verified the game files, best case scenario is the stick will work for two rounds then not work. No issues with face buttons.

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

Your massage parlors!

https://twitter.com/MruSuk/status/1072682832634568704?s=19

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn
That ad stuff is dumb and pointless.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

You can fix this super easy, replace the kanji on the screen with a CPT logo too, and then it becomes dadaist art

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

I am thankful for this image. It sums up SFV better than words ever could.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

The funnier part is the tweet upset about the sanctity of Akuma’s win pose.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

Buy one thousand chests!

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

b_d posted:

Buy one thousand chests!

Ah, the Shill Goku Satsu.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

The Dave posted:

Akuma's win pose fuckin owns though

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The Dave posted:

:rolleyes:

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

It's absolutely iconic but the "power and history" bit is maybe a little overstated.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

mango sentinel posted:

It's absolutely iconic but the "power and history" bit is maybe a little overstated.

Akuma displaying ads on his back absolutely cannot be overstated.

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

mango sentinel posted:

yeah the power and history bit is overblown

a big part of that pose is the visual cohesion between the background, the darkness, and akuma. the sticker clashes so much and its really ugly. the other custom costumes always try to not taint the character defining pose for the character. the ad style thing is just not done with any finesse.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDUHjxzefgk

these costumes above were included in red bull can codes, and these are way better than just slapping a logo on to the designated sticker spots. i am in no way saying these are good, just better than slapping stickers everywhere. it was only a year ago that capcom brought us the (different than above) red bull bc one costumes so the new ad style ones being so ugly isnt that surprising

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I rarely ever get mad about games and developers, and I often roll my eyes when people talk about devs ruining games or killing a franchise. I always find those claims obnoxious and the people behind them stuck in their own weird bubble. But this poo poo they’ve done with Street Fighter is 100% that and it’s the most infuriating thing imaginable. I would genuinely believe an insane conspiracy that there’s some inside group trying to destroy the franchise forever. It’s past just being a bad game, they’re actively trashing the entire series.

Seriously what the fuuuuuck are they thinking? It sucks so much.

Best case scenario is that SFV is Capcom’s New Coke.

Kilometers Davis fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Dec 13, 2018

Sestze
Jun 6, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb
game's... fine? It's free from the 11th to the 18th for anyone interested in seeing whether or not its worth playing.

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

Anyone knows how to make this piece of poo poo stop showing me tournament announcements on PS4? I uninstalled the game and unchecked all notifications except the most important ones, it's still doing it.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/CapcomFighters/status/1073636743759388672?s=19

Some of the characters poses are more dynamic than their actual in game animations :butt:

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

Capcom's continued attempts to prop up the decaying corpse of SFV is baffling to me.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

spraying gasoline all over it and pointedly lighting a match is a weird way to preserve stuff

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

Your massage parlors!

I like to imagine that instead of a dev team working out ideas for next season's patch it's a group of execs feverishly pitching ways to increase revenue on a 3 year old game.

"What if - hear me out - we had 15 second ad spots before every round? "

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

Your massage parlors!

Like, plastering ads directly on a character that you can see mid match is arguably more innovative than anything they're doing gameplay-wise.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:
the free week thing got me to finally try it at least but when the first news article thing is in the steam window is about these ads it doesn't tempt me to actually buy the game at all

i haven't played since SF2 in arcades so i probably think its way cooler than it is but the art style is :krad: and there's way more characters than i expected

ran through the story missions so i just got enough to unlocked some ppl and will probably burn out on them

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

srsly who wants to play this lamer?
One thing that people don't mention too much is the sheer costs involved with Capcom running their own CFN network. I did a quick look at what costs might be incurred a while ago when people were decrying the Fighting Layer EX layer devs for not putting in crossplay;

quote:

Amazon provides a server hosting service, used by companies like Ubisoft. Just to give a single example, let's say that FLEX has a total number of 10,000 players per day over all platforms. Not concurrent, just the total number of people logging in and logging out. The costs involved equal around $600 PER DAY. If you want to provide support for crossplay for a year, then you need to fork out $219,000 in total, assuming those figures stay roughly the same. That's almost a cool quarter million a year just to provide the ability for PS4 and PC players to versus each other. That's just one service provider giving their best estimate. A big part of why we can even play so many fighting games online right now is because Steam, Sony, Microsoft and so on provide the infrastructure for them to run. It would be like asking a small company that make taps to finance production for a new road for their factory; sure it might be more convenient, but they can't afford it. They need to use the same roads that the Government built that we all use. Only the really big players can afford to finance their own roads (such as Amazon funnily enough).

Would love to know how close to the wire I was on my estimates, I've never really read anything at all about the actual dollar costs involved in using servers. One thing for sure is that they are not cheap; I've seen many games die simply because the company involved were renting out the servers and couldn't afford to keep them up.

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.
What do you derive $600 a day for 10,000 unique connections from.

There a lot of things that determine hosting cost, being purely a middle-man for P2P connections is not exactly intensive, the bulk of hosting costs would be for extraneous things. In the case of a company like Arika, hiring someone who knows what they're doing and can develop the thing would be most of the cost. The cost and effort is higher than people think, but the hosting costs themselves are likely not the dealbreaker.

The most important thing is hosting services are very complicated and costs trend down the higher scale you get and someone who has no idea what they're doing cannot hope to accurately predict the cost of something like this and it's already a problem because they'd likely have to hire someone to know how much it would even cost.

bebaloorpabopalo fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Dec 16, 2018

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

if they want to implement ads it'd be cool to let them make their own background levels or something other than a random image slapped onto a character skin

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

What do you derive $600 a day for 10,000 unique connections from.

There a lot of things that determine hosting cost, being purely a middle-man for P2P connections is not exactly intensive, the bulk of hosting costs would be for extraneous things. In the case of a company like Arika, hiring someone who knows what they're doing and can develop the thing would be most of the cost. The cost and effort is higher than people think, but the hosting costs themselves are likely not the dealbreaker.

The most important thing is hosting services are very complicated and costs trend down the higher scale you get and someone who has no idea what they're doing cannot hope to accurately predict the cost of something like this and it's already a problem because they'd likely have to hire someone to know how much it would even cost.

I was just reading about it and got the figures off of Amazon's own page about average costs for 10,000 users. Could probably find it again if I had a look.

https://aws.amazon.com/gamelift/pricing/

Costs go from something like $180 to $1,200 per day for 10,000 users depending on who's hosting, how they do it, etc. Probably loads of different providers and different costs but point is servers aren't cheap.

rednecked_crake fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Dec 16, 2018

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

They are most likely using a definition of users that doesn't mean what you think it means.

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

I was just going off of this bit really;

quote:

This example uses a typical hourly player demand pattern for multiplayer games to illustrate Amazon GameLift pricing. In this example, we’ll assume that your game launches in Japan and attracts 10,000 players. As shown below, the number of concurrent players follows a typical usage pattern.

Actually had a quick look on the server prices for the actual hosts of SFV (proudnet last I checked), and all I could find publicly was their base yearly price of 33,000,000 (including VAT) Won, which is almost $30,000.

http://proudnet.com/price

rednecked_crake fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Dec 16, 2018

Goodpart
Jan 9, 2004

quarter circle forward punch
rip
I'm sorry I ever paid money for this trashgarbage game

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

An important thing is CFN is very featured compared to basically any fighting game Service and way more than what you Need. All you really need is a list of people you can play, which in a P2P scenario and done on something scalable and can be way cheaper than any estimate you could find.

The GameLift example is for dedicated session-based games which requires much much much more computation power than just matchmaking P2P sessions. Basically an instance of the game running for each session. Imagine a server running a copy of SF5 for every match going on - it's just unfeasible.

Like the servers for something like the #R PC netplay hack are probably running on some russian dudes laptop and could probably handle 100x the traffic they get.

bebaloorpabopalo fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Dec 16, 2018

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Goodpart posted:

I forgive you, forums user Goodpart.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
The ad placement stuff is so bad that it almost feels like accidental elaborate social commentary on the Ills of Capitalism or something. I'm curious to see if they actually get a real sponsor so that we can see done McDonalds logos on Dhalsim's skulls.

SFV still manages to almost always find me game within seconds of queueing, which no other FG that I have manages to do. Seems like a lot of people still play it.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

You would think they would've tried to launch their ad service with an actual sponsor, especially during one of their two biggest tournaments of the year

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

THANK GOD FOR THE SMOKE MACHINE!
Corporate Shill Akuma is a pretty funny bit of characterization to make up, at least.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Goodpart posted:

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

The worst part is that for my dumb casual rear end the sfv button feel/animations/characters/sounds are my favorite in the entire fg world (though scvi and smash are close to topping it in certain ways). I just can’t be bothered to get good at it considering the only pvp I would play is online and the horror stories make it seem pointless. Also there’s the entire truckload of hot steaming manure that capcom can’t stop shoveling ontop.

I mean gently caress, as mentioned above why not just add ads into the arenas? It would probably be awful as well but the current approach is embarrassing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

i am bad at Menat but her orbs seem good if i could just learn to wield them properly