Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

I look forward to the Disgaea collaboration two years from now with AAAOSBSBs capping at 99,999,999,999 damage. This game has been a great ride. If it runs it's course with power creep, so be it, this current formula can't last forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

iamsosmrt posted:

I look forward to the Disgaea collaboration two years from now with AAAOSBSBs capping at 99,999,999,999 damage. This game has been a great ride. If it runs it's course with power creep, so be it, this current formula can't last forever.

Not gonna lie, I'd love a Disgaea collab. If Alchemist Code wasn't such hot garbage, their collab might have drawn me in. And they followed it with Fullmetal Alchemist. gently caress Gumi. Just show an ASB as 40 minutes of powerleveling in the cave of ordeals followed by three giant hits.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

XavierGenisi posted:

Then tell us what your party loadout is and what boss you’re fighting so we can tell you what you’re doing wrong and help you instead of you just angrily yelling about how you can’t do anything because you’re missing something.

I'm going to try to use Echo, Vincent, Terra, Sarah (for healing), and maybe Tyro? Looking at my skills I'm kinda lacking in the magic department (the elemental quadstrikes kinda negated them for me) so what spells should I waste resources on?

EDIT: Echo because I have her "stronger black magic but blinded" ability, Vincent and Terra because they're level 80, and Sarah because I can load her with Hastega and Shellga and then use her "replace attack with 1000+ heal" ability. Tyro because I guess he's supposed to be OP? I wouldn't know because the RNG rarely blesses me with anything for him.

GenderSelectScreen fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Dec 16, 2018

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

I'm going to try to use Echo, Vincent, Terra, Sarah (for healing), and maybe Tyro? Looking at my skills I'm kinda lacking in the magic department (the elemental quadstrikes kinda negated them for me) so what spells should I waste resources on?

EDIT: Echo because I have her "stronger black magic but blinded" ability, Vincent and Terra because they're level 80, and Sarah because I can load her with Hastega and Shellga and then use her "replace attack with 1000+ heal" ability. Tyro because I guess he's supposed to be OP? I wouldn't know because the RNG rarely blesses me with anything for him.

Which nightmare are you trying to beat? You won't be using the remotely the same party/loadout for all of them

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice

Qwertycoatl posted:

Which nightmare are you trying to beat? You won't be using the remotely the same party/loadout for all of them

Ultima Buster of course. It's the one people seemed to talk about the most.

And no, I wasn't planning to use Cloud for every fight like some people were believed. I was using him as an example of my strongest character stat-wise and relic wise.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Uh

There's a lot to unpack here, so I'll start with this: You do know that Record Materia (the "stronger black magic but blinded" and "replace attack with 1000+ heal" abilities) aren't locked to the character they drop from, right?

XavierGenisi
Nov 7, 2009

:dukedog:

the cheapest way to go about it would be to go with 4* black magic abilities (Firaja, Thundaja, Blizzarja, etc), and upgrade them up to around rank 4 to get as many uses out of each as you can.
5* black magic abilities such as Chain Firaga and Chain Thundaga are also useful, but they're more expensive, so if you don't have the orbs to make them and increase the number of uses they have, it might not be quite as useful to you at the moment.

against Ultima Buster, if you want to beat the boss and worry about mastery later, just make a few copies of Firaja and Thundaja with a couple of ranks in each. This way, when the boss goes into it's second form, you can just focus your fire and lightning element spells on the mana sphere, causing massive damage on the boss.

if you do want to do mastery, then include a Water element spell (one of the following: Water, Watera, Waterga, Waterja) and a non-elemental spell (Flare or Ruin would be your best choices), and use them on the mana sphere once each while you're casting fire and lightning spells on that sphere.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Ultima Buster of course. It's the one people seemed to talk about the most.

And no, I wasn't planning to use Cloud for every fight like some people were believed. I was using him as an example of my strongest character stat-wise and relic wise.

You've given the impression that you don't really care about doing the fight "properly" and just want it out of the way. So just go through the roaming warrior list until you find a magic-attack arcane soul break. Use it and win.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice

XavierGenisi posted:

the cheapest way to go about it would be to go with 4* black magic abilities (Firaja, Thundaja, Blizzarja, etc), and upgrade them up to around rank 4 to get as many uses out of each as you can.
5* black magic abilities such as Chain Firaga and Chain Thundaga are also useful, but they're more expensive, so if you don't have the orbs to make them and increase the number of uses they have, it might not be quite as useful to you at the moment.

against Ultima Buster, if you want to beat the boss and worry about mastery later, just make a few copies of Firaja and Thundaja with a couple of ranks in each. This way, when the boss goes into it's second form, you can just focus your fire and lightning element spells on the mana sphere, causing massive damage on the boss.

if you do want to do mastery, then include a Water element spell (one of the following: Water, Watera, Waterga, Waterja) and a non-elemental spell (Flare or Ruin would be your best choices), and use them on the mana sphere once each while you're casting fire and lightning spells on that sphere.

Thank you for the advice. I probably have enough for at least one Chain so I'll grab one of those. Which one would be better for future fights; flare or ruin?

Honestly I'd rather master them now then ever have to worry about wasting anymore of my life fighting this garbage.

XavierGenisi
Nov 7, 2009

In the long run, Flare would be better to put resources in, since it's a 5* ability. Ruin would be a "create it just so you can quickly fulfill the mastery requirements and never use it again" sort of thing.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

don't waste your orbs on flare, non-elemental damage abilities are garbage

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Ruinga stays useful for clearing trash with mage teams

XavierGenisi
Nov 7, 2009

Prav posted:

don't waste your orbs on flare, non-elemental damage abilities are garbage

actual elements are stupidly powerful, but it's not a bad idea to have usable non-elemental abilities when you run into something that NE would be useful for. those instances are not as common as you get into the current hard difficulty content, but for those rare instances it's not a beyond terrible idea to have Flare and/or 5* Bahamut kicking around. Lord knows I've gotten use out of Omega Drive and Full Charge

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

if you've got a chain you're better off just forcing that element ime

i suppose if there's an >20% omni-resist boss you want to kill now and you haven't got a chain you could go N-E

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
Meteor owns and I will defend it to the death. It's almost never useful in endgame content but I find myself using it frequently in realm events, especially any fight with multiple targets. It's also amazing for farming orb and xp dailies.

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I'm not here to fuck spiders!

Can you share what soul breaks you have? Not just for these specific characters but for everyone. Those are more important than the record material passive abilities you're referring to. Record Materia, like someone else said, can be equipped to anyone.

Do you have the following record materia?
Dr. Mog's Teachings(from Tyro)
Mako Might (from Cloud)
Gathering Storm (from Thunder God Cid)
The first two give the equipped character enough soul break juice to fire off one SB at the beginning of battle, the third gives the equipped character quick cast for 30 seconds at the beginning of battle. These are in every team ever for me, right on up to 5* magicite and torment dungeons.

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."
when power creep gets silly enough they should add a blitzball minigame

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Zonko_T.M. posted:

Gathering Storm (from Thunder God Cid)

If you're looking for this, the game confuses matters by calling him Orlandeau

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Elephant Ambush posted:

Meteor owns and I will defend it to the death. It's almost never useful in endgame content but I find myself using it frequently in realm events, especially any fight with multiple targets. It's also amazing for farming orb and xp dailies.

I honed meteor because of the old torments, it was a god send for getting through the first 2 difficulties that had waves; I just didn't see a need to break it down afterwards and it has come in handy here and there since.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I have a roaming warrior set up specifically for Hitler's Gay Secret that should be able to one-shot Ultima Buster, and probably a few other nightmare bosses as well. It's kind of on him if he can't follow these simple instructions at this point.

Fister Roboto posted:

Add YNeM to your friends list. Use the RW in battle. Congratulations, you've now beaten Ultima Buster. You're welcome.

And just in case you don't know how to add friends, it's under Menu->Friends and Block List->Find Friends

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Fister Roboto posted:

And just in case you don't know how to add friends, it's under Menu->Friends and Block List->Find Friends

Use this website: https://friends-ffrk.com/ to find other useful roaming warriors, you can filter by soulbreak, so if you want to get a bunch of godwalls which is Divine Veil Grimoire (DVG) aka shellga/protectga/hastega/wall (+100% res/def) you just search that. I would highly recommend grabbing at least 10-15 people that have DVG as their RW because it's just stupid useful for all sorts of things unless you have the soulbreak itself (even if you do, maybe you don't WANT to bring tyro)

eelmonger
Jun 20, 2008

KataraniSword posted:

The question is, honestly, which will break first - the time-honored character level cap at 99, or the game itself? We can only escalate so much with relics without making the game actually "pay to win", and I think DeNA knows that. It keeps pushing the envelope, and as far as I can see fewer and fewer people go for it each time. We're reaching critical mass with powercreep, not because things are getting harder, but because the constant upwards momentum is making the difficulty more number-based and less strategy-based.

I feel like part of the issue here is the speed-meta they locked themselves into with rewards stuck behind sub30s. I had lots of fun putting together some extremely rag-tag teams tackling the original torment CMs: SB-less Jecht with the shared shellga chocobo suit and full charge comes to mind. And that always felt like a very quintessential Final Fantasy thing to me; I can recall lots of time in SNES and PSX days where you could wander into difficult content, but with a good strategy you could just barely scrape by and you would feel like you accomplished something. I still feel that way a bit with the 5* magicites because I've been avoiding spending rubies or motes unless I absolutely need them, but I think that's more because I'm conserving resources for the magicites that I don't have a chain for (i.e. the next three :suicide:).

I think DeNA kind of understands this, since they changed things so magicite sub30 is much less important, and you really only need to be able to do that to one of them to farm arcana. But the neo-torments still have the best rewards locked behind speed clears so my motivation to tackle any of the D???s is pretty much 0. And I get why they do it, you need whales for a game like this, and you need to give those whales something to pull for.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Fister Roboto posted:

Add YNeM to your friends list. Use the RW in battle. Congratulations, you've now beaten Ultima Buster. You're welcome.

This worked. My team was Locke, Sabin, Tyro, Ramza, and Arc, all at Level 99. I let Ultima say his lines, tapped the icon for your RW, and let Ashe go :black101: on Ultima. Granted, I didn't get any of the Target Score stuff, but I don't care about that right now. Thanks!

ceaselessfuture posted:

edit: oh hey I'll be updating the thread this week, hopefully, and I'll need more thread titles so give me the best poo poo you got

FFRK: Free Daily Draws Now Actually Worth Doing
FFRK: FFMQ Collab When?
FFRK: One Of The Better Gacha Games
FFRK: At Least We're Not Gumi

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Armitage posted:

when power creep gets silly enough they should add a blitzball minigame

Not gonna lie I liked the fishing minigame they had for the XV event a while back.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice
Welp, that roaming warrior killed Ultima Buster in one hit. :geno: gently caress ever getting mastery on this poo poo.

Tell me who to use for Evrae Altana next.

EDIT:

ceaselessfuture posted:

edit: oh hey I'll be updating the thread this week, hopefully, and I'll need more thread titles so give me the best poo poo you got

FFRK Strategy and Use Roaming Warriors

GenderSelectScreen fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Dec 17, 2018

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
FFRK: Still Thankfully 100% Katy Perry-Free

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."

Electric Phantasm posted:

Not gonna lie I liked the fishing minigame they had for the XV event a while back.

Too bad you could really only do it once a day, because if you do it more than once you only got a 2* orb

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

MarquiseMindfang posted:

FFRK: Still Thankfully 100% Airana Grande & Katy Perry-Free

FTFY

Armitage posted:

Too bad you could really only do it once a day, because if you do it more than once you only got a 2* orb

On the other hand, it's a great place to farm LMR Drops.

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.
Kuja USB :toot: Sort of hoped my next good pull wouldn't be dark again but I really can't complain. Also another element+ relic, which I hope continues.

0 - Seven BSB
Tactics - Marach BSB
XV - Ignis LMR
XIV - Yda BSB
XIII - Noel BSB3, Fang BSB2 (dupe)
XII - Vayne USB
XI - Aphmau BSB (dupe)
X - Braska BSB
IX - Kuja USB

ceaselessfuture posted:

FFRK - Wake Us Up Next Fest, Please

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

MarquiseMindfang posted:

FFRK: Still Thankfully 100% Idol-Free

There we go

Shock Trooper
Oct 24, 2006

TERROR BALTIMORE
REALMS ON PARADE!!! Halfway mark progress report

Type-0 - Seven LMR, I have nothing else for him
FF15 - Noctis Glint, I somehow have nothing else for him
FF14 - Yda LMR, whatever
FF13 - Snow USB... yay?
FF12 - Ashe USB dupe
FF11 - Aphmau USB dupe
FF10 - Kimahri USB, lol at least it's new
FF9 - Garnet BSB2, my 3rd copy of this

so far, mostly a big pile of OOFs

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

pichupal posted:

FFRK - Arcane Awaken Us Next Fest, Please

Surely?

Ayndin
Mar 13, 2010

X: Lulu BSB. Actually really happy about this, this is like the second piece of ice boost gear that isn't a robe or hat and will make my last few Acolyte picks simpler.
IX: Beatrix LMR. Cover materia is potentially harmful, no thanks.

ceaselessfuture posted:

FFRK and the Specter of Three Months from Now

eelmonger
Jun 20, 2008

Shock Trooper posted:

FF10 - Kimahri USB, lol at least it's new

Even on a turd like Kimahri, elemental radiant shields are really handy, especially if you have a chain. I use it against both 5* fire magicites.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
Kimahri USB is an amazing silver bullet for one of the 5* fire magicite if you have a chain to go with it. You can radiant shield tank the fight to a pretty silly degree.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Yeah, it's a good soul break stapled on an unfortunately pretty lovely character who can't really do much with it except stand there and look hornless. Like Attestant said, it's a good silver bullet that you can absolutely base teams around, but on its own it doesn't magically make Kimahri's toolkit work any better.

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Leave me to do my dark bidding on the internet!
I'm such a loving moron. Its clicked with me just now that I can use Rosetta Stones and gear to level up the augment of my weapons even after I have maxed out their levels. What a dumbass is me.

eelmonger
Jun 20, 2008

KataraniSword posted:

Yeah, it's a good soul break stapled on an unfortunately pretty lovely character who can't really do much with it except stand there and look hornless. Like Attestant said, it's a good silver bullet that you can absolutely base teams around, but on its own it doesn't magically make Kimahri's toolkit work any better.

If they just gave him support 5 he'd be an outstanding entruster for a water team. But yeah, he's basically only good for the fire magicites, but at least he's VERY good for the fire magicites.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

eelmonger posted:

If they just gave him support 5 he'd be an outstanding entruster for a water team. But yeah, he's basically only good for the fire magicites, but at least he's VERY good for the fire magicites.

All of the intended Blue Mages should be given Support 5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

So banging my head against the Magicite wall had me realize Shout on Cid VII is very limiting, since he can't really do anything else once he uses his SB. I unfortunately have no choice since that is my only attack boostga, although Quina USB on banner 1 looks real tempting

Oh nevermind RoP got my back.