Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
work has a bunch of surface laptops and i generally havent had any problems with my surface book 2 besides the dock connector being lovely

our it recently told me they had significantly less problems when they updated the company antivirus which apparently was the cause of a bunch of sleep issues, dock issues, etc

it's been a decent laptop for work but i certainly wouldn't pay the premium for one myself

:bsdsnype:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

yeah I'm gonna return it tomorrow or Sunday. it is not needs-suiting. oh well.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Endless Mike posted:

yeah I'm gonna return it tomorrow or Sunday. it is not needs-suiting. oh well.

pro tip: throw it off of a bridge into a river

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

I have a surface that I'm using right now and like a lot, but it's not for everyone

I wouldn't get the latest one though, mostly because of the GPU thing

e:
if you want to give it a go anyway look up some apps on windows store like freda/netflix/whatever, install TouchZoomDesktop /TouchMousePointer and play around with the tile-based start menu. oh and I reduce scaling to 150% too

e2:
if you care about performance you probably want to install the latest Intel GPU drivers (google how) and disable throttling via GPO (again google how). install throttlestop after that so that you can set the thermal managment how you want explicitly, also set up an undervolting (~80mV) in the same

with the 6 (unlike the 5) you'll never get any sort of reasonable gaming performance on new games even then though, unless you get the surface laptop/surface book which is pricy

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Dec 15, 2018

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

also try swiping the whole thing into the recycle bin

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

ps: dont ask your microsoft friends to squirt on your surface, it doesnt work

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Krankenstyle posted:

pro tip: throw it off of a bridge into a river

if he returns it he gets money

why do you want him to be poorer in a world that will kill you or worse for not having enough money

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

i did a dumb thing and bought a surface pro 6.

i mean yeah my new mbp is worse in every way from the 2011 mba it replaced but its not surface bad

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

when you're setting up your facebook ad campaign and you type "switch" into the wrong keyword box

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

josh04 posted:

when you're setting up your facebook ad campaign and you type "switch" into the wrong keyword box

p sure those are for the disability controller

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

holy moly you're right. well, i feel like a total fool.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

speaking of, that controller is seriously good and hats off to microsoft for making it

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

josh04 posted:

holy moly you're right. well, i feel like a total fool.

yeah but why is it over $60??

that’s a good amount of cash for a button

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
the comments/reviews are good

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Is "IPS" still the magic keyword to look for in order to get as non-poo poo of a screen on a laptop as possible?

:ohdear:

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Schadenboner posted:

Is "IPS" still the magic keyword to look for in order to get as non-poo poo of a screen on a laptop as possible?

:ohdear:

It is. But IPS is a brand name, AHVA (not just VA!) and PLS are pretty much the same thing.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Lambert posted:

It is. But IPS is a brand name, AHVA (not just VA!) and PLS are pretty much the same thing.

isnt it a thing now to advertise 6-bit eIPS panels as "IPS" without any qualifications, or have they stopped doing that

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2018/12/microsoft-is-putting-together-a-microsoft-365-subscription-for-home-users/

mystes
May 31, 2006

Wasn't there a similar story about Google like 6 months ago? They were supposed to be doing some bundle that would include google drive space as well as tech support for other google products or something. It seemed similar in that they wanted to introduce some sort of subscription without actually knowing what would make sense to put in it.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
"we have no idea why people actually use our services" is a recurring theme for both microsoft and google

orange sky
May 7, 2007

Imagine if everyone was taught to use latex since we were kids

mystes
May 31, 2006

orange sky posted:

I think with everything moving to the cloud we're headed for a future where people won't even know how to use a word processor more complicated than wordpad.

Similarly, "Desktop publishing" software for consumers used to be a thing but then Indesign became the only remaining page layout program, and trying to sell it to home users would only cut into Adobe's revenue.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

orange sky posted:

well, there'd be fewer kids

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

orange sky posted:

you’d then have raw tex macros to lament, rather than office 97 documents, in 2018

orange sky
May 7, 2007

True

orange sky
May 7, 2007

I really liked writing my thesis and associated papers on it though, after a while everything was just so streamlined

No loving with tabs and paragraphs for the loving TENTH TIME WHAT IS HAPPENING

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

orange sky posted:

I really liked writing my thesis and associated papers on it though, after a while everything was just so streamlined

No loving with tabs and paragraphs for the loving TENTH TIME WHAT IS HAPPENING

yeah i enjoy writing in it as well, but i strongly believe that you can gently caress up more in it than in office, if you go full tex. never go full tex.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

cinci zoo sniper posted:

yeah i enjoy writing in it as well, but i strongly believe that you can gently caress up more in it than in office, if you go full tex. never go full tex.

too late, im writing a database lmao

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

infernal machines posted:

well, there'd be fewer kids

lol

mystes
May 31, 2006

mystes posted:

Wasn't there a similar story about Google like 6 months ago? They were supposed to be doing some bundle that would include google drive space as well as tech support for other google products or something. It seemed similar in that they wanted to introduce some sort of subscription without actually knowing what would make sense to put in it.
BTW, it seems like this Google service actually exists for the moment: https://techcrunch.com/2018/08/15/google-one-is-now-open-to-all/

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Krankenstyle posted:

i will personally behead you if you are really talking about about rolling your own database in TeX

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

mystes posted:

they renamed their Google Drive/Gmail/Google Photos paid storage service to Google One and added tech support and hotel discounts for some reason

the two things you'd actually want to bundle (storage and YouTube Premium/Google Play Music) are still separate products

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

cinci zoo sniper posted:

i will personally behead you if you are really talking about about rolling your own database in TeX

well I'm using pgfkeys for the backend so it's not pure TeX

orange sky
May 7, 2007

Krankenstyle posted:

well I'm using pgfkeys for the backend so it's not pure TeX

Why

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

the challenge plus it puts off another thing I'm too lazy to do yet

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

"we have no idea why people actually use our services" is a recurring theme for both microsoft and google

is that true? i assumed that in microsofts case its because their office poo poo is what everyone uses and in googles its because its free

am i mistaken?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

i mean in the sense of making choices with how their services are offered that run directly counter to, or at best orthogonal to how people actually want to use them. so while you and i and pretty much everyone else knows why they're using office 365 or g-suite, ms and google appear to just be throwing poo poo at the wall to see what sticks

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Krankenstyle posted:

the challenge plus it puts off another thing I'm too lazy to do yet

*nods grimly*

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge

i mean in the sense of making choices with how their services are offered that run directly counter to, or at best orthogonal to how people actually want to use them. so while you and i and pretty much everyone else knows why they're using office 365 or g-suite, ms and google appear to just be throwing poo poo at the wall to see what sticks
pretty sure it's both companies trying to grow their userbase by any means necessary, even if it means pissing off some fraction of the existing one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Krankenstyle posted:

i'm writing an llvm backend for tex