Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

So how many calories are in rear end?

depends on your technique and how well groomed the rear end in question is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
People who treat speed bumps like stop signs. It's especially annoying since my apartment complex makes you go over a few to get in and out.

Your car's not going to explode if you go over the bump at 10mph! You don't need to crawl over it at 2mph! If you went a bit faster it'd actually be smoother since your suspension can do its job properly; you're not accomplishing anything by acting like you've never seen a speed bump before. :argh:

Meanwhile the actually dangerous part of driving through here, a sharp S-bend with poor visibility, doesn't have a speed bump anywhere near it, so people gleefully blow through it at 30mph(and panic if there's someone coming the opposite way, because it's narrow enough that everyone defaults to driving down the middle of it). It's only the straight sections with perfectly fine visiblity that get speed bumps.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Thursday Next posted:

Here we go

I’m not “fasting,” I am eating the appropriate number of calories for my CO part of the CICO formula. It is unfortunately a low number. I would love to be able to lose 1-2 lbs per week on 1400. I don’t. I tried for literal years to do so on 1400, 1200, and 1100.

Once you’ve been fat, yeah, you’re boned on metabolism forever pretty much. I will never be able to eat “normal” amounts again, as long as I live. There’s simply no way around that. I’m only losing 1-2lbs per week; this is a healthy speed. It’s the healthiest it’ll be. Studies show that four major things can gently caress up your metabolism forever:

1. Being female
2. Being over 40
3. Having fat parents
4. Having been fat ever in your life

Since I hit all four, I’m unfortunately just boned on metabolism. It’s kind of cool to know that I’d likely live through a zombie alocolypse since, hey, I can live on three carrots and an apple per day :).

So, being boned, I can make a choice: eat the correct number of calories per day for a healthy weight for me (6-800), or whine about being fat and unhealthy while still scarfing 1400 calories a day. I choose to stop bitching and deal with the fact that it’s going to be harder for me to lose weight than the internet hivemind “thinks it should”.

And I’m sorry about your friend but your post also reveals a pretty important insight: you talk about “stopping”. There isn’t any “stopping”. I don’t get to diet and then go back to eating too much; of course I will gain weight! I am making a lifestyle change to eat the appropriate number of calories for my metabolic needs. It is a lifetime change.

I don’t mean to come down hard on you necessarily, I like your posts YTM, but your reply definitely hit that pet peeve button.

It’s pretty AUG (to give a nod to another PYF thread) that once someone is losing weight, they still can catch poo poo for not losing weight the way the internet thinks they should. Not aiming at you YTM but I’m general. It’s disheartening as gently caress.

Edit: and I am eating real food, not soylent or whatever crap meal replacement some people eat. I’m just eating way less of it. 3oz boneless skinless chicken breast with roasted broccoli is a better dinner for me than 12oz steak with mashed potatoes and glazed carrots, etc.

With the CICO then do you mean calories in/calories out or something? If yes that’s probaby why people are commenting. Most people just set a number of total calories (which will be higher) and not factor in burned calories because tracking that effectively is is voodoo. That number does seem absurdly low.

But whatever works for you, works.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

If I get one more call from someone chewing loving carrots while they’re talking to me I’m firing them.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

video game pet peeve: why is the jungle level always the longest, most tedious poo poo? why is it always the loving jungle level that's the most annoying thing ever?

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Thursday Next posted:

I have a metabolism that can cheerfully carry me along just fine with 250 calories a day.

Metabolism isn't the number of calories it takes to make you fat, it's your body's energy usage. Life cannot be sustained if it's too high or too low. You are either 18 inches tall, full of poo poo, dead and typing as a ghost, part tree and running on light energy, or underestimating how many calories are in foods.

I know you'll just disregard this as a BUT ACTUALLY post, but you aren't eating what you think you are.

wak
May 8, 2017

D U C K F A L E S .
Pillbug

Thursday Next posted:

I have a metabolism that can cheerfully carry me along just fine with 250 calories a day. I’m still 30 pounds overweight, so get off my nuts about being unhealthily restrictive. Everyone’s body is different. Mine simply doesn’t like to burn calories. I’ve found a method that works after years of struggling. gently caress off.
Yikes. Your brain needs about 25% of the total daily intake just to keep itself running. 250 kcal is extremely low. Idk, maybe do some sudokus or cryptograms (just reading a lot is not enough) or something? Might help the whole metabolism thing going

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

Thursday Next posted:

I have a metabolism that can cheerfully carry me along just fine with 250 calories a day.

No you don't, lol.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

It's a simple case of organs that are several times more efficient than has ever been recorded, every body is different.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Calories are obviously a social construct meant to keep women down, guys.

ulex minor
Apr 30, 2018

Aphrodite posted:

If I get one more call from someone chewing loving carrots while they’re talking to me I’m firing them.

Come on Santa, it's a stressful time of year for your team.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I was in the gym today when the fire alarm went off. I headed out to the muster point and stood around for about 15 minutes until the front desk guy came out and said some pillock had pushed the wrong button in the lift. After that I went back to the gym but I couldn't get back into it, so I went home disappointed and frustrated.

Further, most of my family didn't even get in touch to wish me a happy birthday, but that is much less annoying than my gym time being spoiled.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Aphrodite posted:

I feel like there's more of a story to this than you're sharing.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I ate too much and made myself feel sick. :(

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Sunswipe posted:

I feel like there's more of a story to this than you're sharing.

It’s probably only happened 3 or 4 times in the 5 years I’ve worked here but one of them was Friday.

Nobody in my office seems to like sending emails for simple questions so they’re always calling instead.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Aphrodite posted:

Nobody in my office seems to like sending emails for simple questions so they’re always calling instead.

That is my peeve.

If it isn't urgent or personal, don't call, send a text or email. If it is personal, ideally, send a text or email just saying we should talk about X and asking when?

Cold calls are for telemarketers and emergencies.

Also, my recent watching of Riverdale has given me an anti-peeve.

It's has been great to see gay kids having to deal with unsupportive or hateful parents. That's a great story that can and should be told and told again. But it's been told SOOOOO many drat times, especially in my Sexy Teen Dramas. Things aren't perfect but we have had a lot of LGBTQ representation recently and not every gay character has to have a plotline about how gay they are.

Riverdale has a The One Gay Kid character who mentions coming out is hard when you're the Sheriff's son, so I was thinking "oohhhhhhhhhhh boy this plot again." But when we actually meet him and his gruff, manly, conservative Sheriff dad, the dad is totally cool with his sexuality. He gives 0 shits and has the exact same romance conversations he'd have with a straight son. I think that's also a really important thing to do with gay characters. (And other minority characters.) You can be the flamboyantly gay kid and still be normal as hell otherwise. I also dig how even though he is pretty stereotypical he also shows up and does things that aren't sooooooo gaaaaay~~~~~, like he's in sports, not theatre.

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 20:04 on Dec 16, 2018

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Wheat Loaf posted:

I was in the gym today when the fire alarm went off. I headed out to the muster point and stood around for about 15 minutes until the front desk guy came out and said some pillock had pushed the wrong button in the lift. After that I went back to the gym but I couldn't get back into it, so I went home disappointed and frustrated.

Further, most of my family didn't even get in touch to wish me a happy birthday, but that is much less annoying than my gym time being spoiled.

Happy escape the uterus day!

Peeve: people who complain that pet adoption prices are too high so we're clearly making a profit on a $200 puppy. Bitch, that pup came to us half dead and needed surgery, and most animals we intake need medical care, and we do not get paid turning our homes into foster homes! These are animals, not humans, the gov doesn't pay us to take them in!

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Adjustable nylon straps with squeezy-clicky plastic buckles. Since having a baby, they've ramped up their presence in my life inexorably. I've gotten much better with them than I used to be, but gently caress if they're not the worst thing I handle on a daily basis. And every loving product designer thinks they've cracked it and made the simplest T-buckle for car seat or stroller, but it's just another loving mousetrap that tangles my ligaments. And then don't even get me started on the different ways "one-handed collapsible!" products try to work their blatant lie. "No biggie, just use a foot to push down here and then pull the lock! Oh, that didn't do anything? LOL"

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

Cowslips Warren posted:

Peeve: people who complain that pet adoption prices are too high so we're clearly making a profit on a $200 puppy. Bitch, that pup came to us half dead and needed surgery, and most animals we intake need medical care, and we do not get paid turning our homes into foster homes! These are animals, not humans, the gov doesn't pay us to take them in!

Yessss strongly agree. I can't tell you how many times people have refused to pay $250 for a puppy with all it's shots, registration, chip, and complimentary leash and puppy chow. How cheap do you thing it is to take care of a dog anyway??? And then of course they stick their nose up at adopting a 1-year-old for $50 because it's not as cute.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Also, my recent watching of Riverdale has given me an anti-peeve.

I know I'm not the target demographic, but Riverdale and Sabrina have both been refreshing in their depiction of gay and transgender youth. It makes me think the kids'll be alright :unsmith:

Thursday Next
Jan 11, 2004

FUCK THE ISLE OF APPLES. FUCK THEM IN THEIR STUPID ASSES.

teenytinymouse posted:

If you're not using a food scale and weighing everything you eat in weight not volume there's v little chance you're actually eating 600-800 kcal a day and if you only have 30lb to lose trying to do it in 15 weeks is stupid. 2lb a week is for the obese.

Go to the weightloss challenge thread, I'm the current OP even though I don't post there anymore because heyo I developed some sort of weird food anxiety disorder but everyone there is hella good and has great info. Have fun. Don't be miserable, there's no need.

Edit: oh hey a peeve is that I know how to lose weight, I've done it v successfully but my brain is currently such that previous methods make me binge eat and feel anxious all the time now. So thanks broke brain, you spoiled yet another thing.

I was obese
I do have a food scale
I have lost 40lbs in 9 months this way, 30 to go

Thanks for proving my point I guess?

Thursday Next
Jan 11, 2004

yeah I eat rear end posted:

it's finally clear now, I couldn't believe anyone would say they like my posts, it's just absurd. The YTM thing confused me, but now I remember you are a poster and they must have mistaken me for you.

Oooops.

Yeah I like YTM! I like you too forums poster yeah I eat rear end. I pretty much like most of the posters on this dead gay forum.

:glomp:

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

I'm Shannon and I'm the biggest Idiot Ever!

Thursday Next posted:

I was obese
I do have a food scale
I have lost 40lbs in 9 months this way, 30 to go

Thanks for proving my point I guess?

I'm sorry but you're not magic.

Also sorry I was drunk when I posted that but I'm still not wrong.

Thursday Next
Jan 11, 2004

Crimpolioni posted:

No you don't, lol.

I didn’t say I’m eating that little.

That’s silly. I’m eating 800 calories a day and losing 1-2 lbs per week. But being able to eat less than folks around me is a silly little hidden superpower and it makes me giggle. I want that extra food, but it’s not for me. So I find humor in imagining funny situations - like one apple left - where my mega metabolism would be a help instead of a fatty hindrance. Sorry I offended a bunch of internet folks.

Again, I’m eating 800 kcal / day, losing 1-2 lbs per week, have lower bp than I’ve had in years, and can bike 30+ miles again. I don’t understand why I get poo poo on by tens of people when I bring this up, but that’s why I’ve stopped doing so irl. The number of calories you think I should eat is not working for my old rear end.

This thread and the 6 posters who fell over each other to prove me wrong are why it’s a pet peeve I guess. I’m going to keep losing weight at a healthy rate while some folks get apoplectic about a giggle I get.

Why are people so angry about a former-fatty getting healthy?

Thursday Next
Jan 11, 2004

teenytinymouse posted:

I'm sorry but you're not magic.

Also sorry I was drunk when I posted that but I'm still not wrong.

Please explain to me what is “magic” about eating less and exercising more to lose 1-2 lbs per week

Edit: I am also not miserable, since when is eating a couple of chicken breasts per day instead of two big rear end sandwiches considered miserable

Aaarggh this is why I should not have posted, getting dogpiled for losing weight is worse than getting dogpiled for being fat. Maybe this... this is thin privilege

Thursday Next has a new favorite as of 00:25 on Dec 17, 2018

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

Thursday Next posted:

Please explain to me what is “magic” about eating less and exercising more to lose 1-2 lbs per week

You don't have a total daily energy need of 850kcal a day. If you do actually eat 600kcal and have been losing at that rate, which is more like 1lb a month? A toddler needs more than that to live. People are telling you the truth. Unless you are magic.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Thursday Next posted:

I don’t understand why I get poo poo on by tens of people when I bring this up, but that’s why I’ve stopped doing so irl.

Because a human body that can run as efficiently as yours supposedly does is impossible. By a lot.

Does anyone else remember that weight loss thread from around 10 years ago where someone was frustrated that they weren't losing weight while eating 1000 calories a day, then later on down the thread was all VODKA HAS CALORIES!? because it turned out they were drinking ~1600 calories worth of vodka most nights?

Thursday Next
Jan 11, 2004

teenytinymouse posted:

You don't have a total daily energy need of 850kcal a day. If you do actually eat 600kcal and have been losing at that rate, which is more like 1lb a month? A toddler needs more than that to live. People are telling you the truth. Unless you are magic.

Okay, you’re all right and I’m eating way more than the kitchen scale says I am. I didn’t claim to be magic, so if me saying “oh man you’re right I forgot about all them twinkies” gets everyone here happy then here you go

Oh man! You’re right! I forgot to add in the twinkies!

I think you’re trying to help, as opposed to cut me down, but it’s pretty silly, no? If I’m secret eating 1400 a day and somehow not counting right, I’m still losing my 1-2 a week and feeling great and seeing energy levels I haven’t for years. If you and all the other posters need to believe I’m completely wrong that’s... fine I guess?

Meanwhile I’m gonna nope out of the pet peeve thread, since, as stated, getting poo poo for losing weight (“you aren’t magic / you don’t have magic organs lol”) is really weird and bad. I’m gonna keep doing what’s working in a healthy way.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

If you aren't just lying for attention, the simplest explanation is sleep-eating.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

Because a human body that can run as efficiently as yours supposedly does is impossible. By a lot.

Does anyone else remember that weight loss thread from around 10 years ago where someone was frustrated that they weren't losing weight while eating 1000 calories a day, then later on down the thread was all VODKA HAS CALORIES!? because it turned out they were drinking ~1600 calories worth of vodka most nights?

That's how Matthew Mcconngehaeeyy lost weight. He said he ate boiled chicken breast, broccoli, and then all the red wine he wanted before bed.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Goddamn why boiled

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

If you're making an AIDS movie you have to look miserable

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
My peeve is what my own body does when I am asleep. As an experiment I have been sleeping with my hands zip tied together and I woke up less sore and less often. I feel weird typing that out because it is weird. Get your poo poo together, body.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Peeve: people who have managed to lose weight for three weeks being like “SEE, all I have to do to not be fat is follow my nonsense diet and ignore everyone who has lost weight and maintained it!! My special body has the same caloric needs as that of a 12-pound cat! It is absolutely impossible that I eat more than 600 calories or that my runs don’t burn 800 a session!”

And also peeve two is idfk whether that last post is true or not, because it seems gimmicky and laughable but also like it might work

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

Profiles on Tinder where they try way too hard to be funny/quirky.

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Peeve: people who have managed to lose weight for three weeks being like “SEE, all I have to do to not be fat is follow my nonsense diet and ignore everyone who has lost weight and maintained it!! My special body has the same caloric needs as that of a 12-pound cat! It is absolutely impossible that I eat more than 600 calories or that my runs don’t burn 800 a session!”

And also peeve two is idfk whether that last post is true or not, because it seems gimmicky and laughable but also like it might work

I posted on the my fitness Pal forums for a bit and many many many people do this exact thing.

My mum does it as well but it's "I eat 1000kcal a day and can't lose weight!!!" When she doesn't actually count, weigh anything or remember that peanut M&Ms also have calories. With the amount of diet-misinformation out there it's hard to be mad at someone for believing some dumb poo poo but it's frustrating as hell.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Midig posted:

People in real life and everywhere else, who try way too hard to be funny/quirky/lolrandom, in lieu of showing their actual personality.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Pet peeve: people arguing about dieting and losing weight

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

Andrast posted:

Pet peeve: people arguing about dieting and losing weight

Getting an early start on New Year, New Me!

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

KozmoNaut posted:

People in real life and everywhere else, who try way too hard to be funny/quirky/lolrandom, in lieu of showing their actual personality.

But what if I they have no personality?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

Midig posted:

Also, profiles on Tinder where they have multiple people in all their pics so it's not actually clear who I'm swiping on. I don't want to have to search through all pics looking for the only person in all of them.