Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Black kitties are the best. There's three at the adoption center now and I wanna get them all. Thank God for strict two pet limit on the lease.

Seriously ember is so lil and feisty. She goes out of her way to greet all the kitties when we let them out, even grumpy ones or ones scared in the new environment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Base Emitter
Apr 1, 2012

?

Pander posted:

Black kitties are the best. There's three at the adoption center now and I wanna get them all. Thank God for strict two pet limit on the lease.

Train them to form a catblob on your signal and if your landlord complains about the number of cats just give the signal and say "HOW many cats do you think you see again" in your most incredulous voice.

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe
Just time for a quick check in:

He's good with babies!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27jiTbhCOKg

Chili fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Oct 11, 2018

Neophyte
Apr 23, 2006

perennially
Taco Defender

Chili posted:

Just time for a quick check in:

He's good with babies!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27jiTbhCOKg

I died, I'm dead.

What a good Butters!

Edit: edited, still dead

Neophyte fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Oct 12, 2018

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe
Thanks! Real quick, that was a bad link to our private, family youtube channel. Can you go back and edit out the quote? The new link is fine!

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Has Butters gotten less demanding/shrieky/jealous about the baby?

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
He really is a gorgeous cat and he completely lost his normal 1000yd stare when his head was getting skritched :3:

dismas
Jul 31, 2008

Good cat good baby good dad :kimchi:

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

I've been sending Butterscotch updates to my mother. She replied to this one with:

quote:

Awwww Butter brother

Butther.

Just wanted you to know B-scotch (and your non-furry babby) has brightened lives beyond these forums.

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe
Ok, well since it was well received (this is not about to become a look at my baby thread) here's another one from just now. He'd so good and patient: https://youtu.be/G43GRZL9YS0

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I think your baby is saying "THERE'S SO MUCH CAT!"

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer
In all fairness to Chili Jr, I would also probably be making high pitched sounds and flailing around when I saw Butters

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

She seemed just as interested in the blanket next to him.

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

Your baby and Butterscotch are both very cute :3:

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Mika's adoption profile will be going up soon, so I made a thing

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Tendai posted:

In all fairness to Chili Jr, I would also probably be making high pitched sounds and flailing around when I saw Butters

You'll have to let us know when Jnr and Butters go on adventures.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Mika's adoption profile will be going up soon, so I made a thing

She’s beautiful :kimchi: love this cat design profile

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

She’s beautiful :kimchi: love this cat design profile

Her online dating adoption profile is up:

http://www.orphankittenrescue.com/cats/mika-a1/

They actually just rotated her to the front of their gallery, so I think she's getting a lot of views. We have someone coming to meet her on Friday, and also have a friend who's interested. I don't think it'll take long for her to find a home.

Gonna miss her though.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
Fostering and adopting dogs is hella good

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

Fostering and adopting dogs is hella good

or in my case going outside and finding them but yes :same:

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

There's a massive cat in our rescue right now, a 25lb black pile of loving sweetness named Squeaky. Already had a rough start by getting a bladder infection that led to secondary complications since she couldn't adequately clean her pee-dribbling posterior. She's on a diet and quite sad about it.

My wife has fallen head over heels for her. I've never seen a friendlier cat, and even though we each only have one volunteer shift a week she's been helping out with three a week just to see squeaky.

If we didn't have a lease limiting our pets we'd definitely have our own butters. Sigh.

Was gonna put a picture of her here but found, somehow, I don't have any. So here's my own lil rescue Panda again with her stand-in Min-Pan.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I. M. Gei posted:

feral kitten stuff

UPDATE: This has been a goddamn loving nightmare.

We haven’t been able to find anybody willing to take these kittens in or give them a home. I called around early last month and apparently EVERY SINGLE loving NO-KILL SHELTER AND RESCUE IN THIS loving REDNECK COUNTRY SHITHOLE REGION is full and isn’t accepting new cats right now, and there’s no sign of that letting up any time in the foreseeable future. And nobody on my Facebook has shown any interest in them. So for the past two months we’ve been caring for the kittens inside our house, giving them food and water and litter and planning to get them spayed and neutered.

... until this afternoon, when my mom decided we couldn’t keep caring for them inside and opened our front door to let them back outside.

gently caress.

Meanwhile we still have an army of feral cats in our backyard, and they’re still loving and having more kittens, and I need to trap them and get them spayed/neutered, but there’s zero free TNR services in my area (unless you literally live below the poverty line, which we technically don’t), and the one or two “low-cost” options I found would cost us several hundred dollars to fix all of them.

Just gently caress.

I should also mention that the reason we took those kittens in in the first place was because we heard that somebody in our neighborhood may be trapping and shooting cats, and I still have no idea what the gently caress to do about that.

Anyway I’m just loving upset as gently caress right now and I need this thread to tell me I’m not a complete loving monster for not being able to do more for these kittens. And to give me advice for TNR-ing outdoor ferals, preferably without going broke. Also if anybody wants to take another crack at searching for open rescues and/or actual free TNR services in my area, please be my guest.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

I. M. Gei posted:

the one or two “low-cost” options I found would cost us several hundred dollars to fix all of them.

This is a rough situation. Have you considered putting up a GoFundMe (or doing some other kind of fundraising) to get the ferals spayed and neutered?

If you want some inspiration, this is a whole organisation that does this locally: http://www.neuterhead.com/

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003
My wife is in a slightly different situation but similar kittens as Gitmo was dealing with. She offered to help foster kittens that needed bottle feeding, and got a bit of a bait and switch and now has 3 basically feral 2-3 month old monsters. They have mostly stopped hissing at her (been about 4-5 days now) but there's absolutely 0 chance of touching them. They had shots from the vet where she picked them up. Now with the holidays coming up I'm convinced they will be 'surprisingly' unable to find another home for them (was supposed to be a week originally). So my wife's already going to miss Thanksgiving w/ the family.

Every video and guide I've seen on taming feral kittens shows people practically manhandling them after a few hours or something ridiculous. We're keeping them in a large bathroom so there's not too much hiding room other than the carrier, and she spends at least 3 hours a day in there reading and such when she feeds them, but they've shown almost no interest in her. Two are fairly brave and come out often when she's around (though they steer well clear) but one is extremely shy still and usually is in the carrier, but he's definitely eating. Any advice on making some progress with them so at least when she's here alone on Thanksgiving it can be a slightly positive experience would be helpful. Especially how to make 'first contact'.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I. M. Gei posted:

... until this afternoon, when my mom decided we couldn’t keep caring for them inside and opened our front door to let them back outside.

So here’s something. We left the door open for 6 hours and not a single one of the kittens left. We put their food in front of the entrance and everything. One of them stepped outside for a couple of minutes and then turned around and came right back inside.

I have a few theories as to why this might be.

1. It was too cold outside for their liking (it was in the 50s, which is the coldest temperature they’ve ever been exposed to).
2. The kittens aren’t as familiar with our front yard as they are with our backyard, which makes them apprehensive about going out there.
3. The kittens have all decided that staying in a warm rain-free indoor shelter with free food is a pretty sweet gig. :3:

We’re gonna try opening the door again probably sometime in the next few days, but we need to figure something out soon, because we’re starting to get attached to them. I already want to keep at least a couple of them. :cry:

Lead out in cuffs posted:

This is a rough situation. Have you considered putting up a GoFundMe (or doing some other kind of fundraising) to get the ferals spayed and neutered?

I mean I guess there’s no particular reason I couldn’t try that, but I gotta be honest, the thought of begging for money makes me a little uncomfortable. I have no idea how to fundraise, and I worry that if nobody on my Facebook payed attention when I talked about adopting the kittens, they’re not gonna pay attention to a GoFundMe either.

Could I maybe ask a mod for permission to post a GoFundMe here?

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Nov 16, 2018

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

When you called around asking about getting them fixed, did you ask any specific vets if they could cut you deal for getting the whole lot fixed? Or did you just get told the regular price by the receptionist?

I ask because I had a bunch of pet rats at one point and people kept giving me rescue rats, including one that turned out to be pregnant. My vet cut me a deal on neutering the three males out of that litter so I wouldn't end up with an accidental ratsplosion. Granted, rat neutering isn't usually on the typical services menu so no one but the vet could actually tell me if he'd do it in the first place, much less how much it should cost.

Some vets may be willing to do a payment plan or accept Care Credit, which is interest free for 6+ months, depending on the amount. That may or may not help in your situation.

luloo123
Aug 25, 2008
Welp, my first foster is a fail before I even brought him home.

Back in January, my cat Snicket passed away due to complications from kidney disease. When I dropped her off for cremation, my vet mentioned that they had a perfect senior cat waiting for me when I was ready. I told them that I was going to wait a month. I didn't even make it a week.

Meet Scout.

Scout was an outright adoption. He's 13 and has a heart condition, but he's fine as long as he's on his medication. He was surrendered to the vet in dire condition because his previous owner couldn't care for him because of her own health issues. I can't go into too many details, but he was abandoned in her house for a week and arrived at the vet in the back of a cop car. He's a sweetie and loves to keep me company while I cook.

So, back in October, Scout had to go back to the vet for some tests, and while I was waiting, one of the vet techs popped her head into the room and said, "I have a surprise for you!" She came back with an enormous, fluffy, white kitty. He's probably in the realm of 21 lbs.

Meet George.

George was surrendered to the vet a few times because of bad luck. I don't know the whole story, but he was there for 7 months the first time around and was shy and miserable the whole time. He wouldn't play and would run and hide the second anyone looked at him directly. I met him previously when he ventured out into the hallway, and Snicket, who was there for tests, hissed at him. This was probably back in 2016. They found a home for him, but unfortunately, the lady who was caring for him got sick and had to give him up. When I met him, he hid in a cabinet the whole time, but purred when I pet him. They asked if I could foster him, and I said yes, but I couldn't take him home for a few days because I had to ask my landlord. Yeah, by the time I actually picked him up, it had turned into an adoption. He has his own cushion on the couch and his own cat tree because God forbid that Scout and George share a 7 foot cat tree.

"Mom, he's in my spot!"

George isn't really fat. He's just a huge cat. I gave him a flea bath, and he's mostly muscle. He does like food though. This is his nightly ritual.

Well, thanks for reading!

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Congratulations on your incredible cats.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I love your gently used cats.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer
What great cats, you're good people :3: please keep posting pictures of them in the future

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I love your gently used cats.

They are both adorable cats.

luloo123
Aug 25, 2008

spookygonk posted:

They are both adorable cats.

Yeah, I'm going to keep them around even though George keeps stealing my spot on the couch. :argh:

Scout is not happy about it either since I can't give him scritchies from the inferior side of the couch. I'd be angry if I didn't love George's little fluffy face so much. :3:

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe
Gotta crosspost from the secret santa thread...

Chili posted:

Santa is Real!

I got a Santa described "random mishmash of things" many of which were quite nice, but the crown jewel?

Butterscotch, naturally, was highly amused.

Thanks luloo123!

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
blessed

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

wow, you got pissed on by somebody very talented. I like

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

I was just thinking, "I am overdue for a Butterscotch photo." and you delivered.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
That’s amazing. How do you even make that?

luloo123
Aug 25, 2008

Seat Safety Switch posted:

That’s amazing. How do you even make that?

There are more complicated ways to get the same effect, but I took the easier route. I snagged a pic of Butterscotch from the thread and manipulated it with Gimp. There's a company online (Spoonflower) that prints fabric to order, so I just got them to print it for me. From there, it was just a matter of assembling a quilt in the normal way. I bought fabric from the store for the back, put some batting in the middle, put the Butterscotch fabric on top, pinned it all together, and sewed around all of the black details to bring them into relief. The last step was putting the binding around the edges. All told, the whole process took 3-4 hours, not counting waiting for my fabric to arrive in the mail.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
its magical.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

This is Roswell.

I know what you're thinking, and you're right, I couldn't say no to that face either. Meet my first foster failure.

Roswell was born sometime in August and was part of a feral colony which is looked after by a Nice Lady. She does TNR and socializes and adopts out the kittens as she is able. Roswell survived hurricane Florence and was basically a happy little semi-feral until she disappeared one day in early November. Nice Lady found her on the side of a hiking trail, unresponsive and nearly dead from an infection. She took Roswell to Vet Friend, thinking she would have to be euthanized, but Vet Friend decided to give her a chance. Warmth, fluids and antibiotics perked her up and she seemed to have a will to live, so Nice Lady and Vet Friend began the long process of nursing her back to health. Nice Lady had plans to be out of town for a week around Thanksgiving so she put out some feelers to find an experienced foster who could handle Roz's meds and monitor her progress. That ended up being me.

I was all set for Roswell to be a temporary resident, but that didn't last long. After a couple of days I pestered my husband into meeting the tiny sneezy sickly kitten that was living in the bathroom and taking up all my free time. He took one look and it was OVER. With actual tears in his eyes he looked at me and said, "we can't give this cat to anyone else." So now we have three cats.

Roswell has since recovered from her cold, but she is not out of the woods health-wise. She tested positive at the vet for FIV. I was devastated at first, but after some research we've decided to retest her again at 6 months to rule out maternal antibodies causing a false positive. We have also very slowly and carefully integrated her with our two cats, which is a little more controversial. FIV is mainly transmitted by deep, intramuscular bites, not casual contact or playing. Our house cats are two super chill spayed females who have accepted Roz into their social structure with no problems. We've decided to keep Roswell no matter what the results of the retest show.

She's gained a ton of weight and is finally acting like a normal kitten her age. She sleeps curled up on my chest almost every night and has laid claim to the back of the couch as her territory. Everything about her is still tiny for her age except her ears and her purr.

Oh, so why the hell did I name this cat Roswell? Well, a photographer friend of mine has a female tuxedo cat with the same name. I found out his Roswell was diagnosed with cancer the same day my Roswell came home, so I thought it was a fitting tribute. You can read all about OG Roswell here: https://kylecassidy.livejournal.com/839330.html