Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

My playthrough of Umineko has grinded almost to a halt in Episode 6. Not necessarily because it's bad, though there are some current plot threads I don't really care for. Particularly everything revolving around these half-beatrices and this magical love battle just aren't doing it for me, and unfortunately they are front and center right now. My opinion of the Featherine stuff pivots between interesting and "I feel like the writer is being very condescending to the reader".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg
I honestly didn't care much for ep6, but ep7 is fantastic once you power through it

I also suspect I'd find it more interesting on re-read

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

Meanwhile I've been holding off on Uminkeo until I finish Higurashi. JUST RELEASE THE LAST 2 CHAPTERS MANGAGAMER! :argh:

I swear that half this thread is just black tape I can't read for like 2 years until I can finally read Umineko.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Umineko EP6 is one I was ambivalent at at the time of its release but as time has gone I've looked back on it with greater appreciation when it's put in the context of the whole story.

And yeah finish releasing Higurashi already, you cowards!

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

My playthrough of Umineko has grinded almost to a halt in Episode 6. Not necessarily because it's bad, though there are some current plot threads I don't really care for. Particularly everything revolving around these half-beatrices and this magical love battle just aren't doing it for me, and unfortunately they are front and center right now. My opinion of the Featherine stuff pivots between interesting and "I feel like the writer is being very condescending to the reader".

I've played a few hours and I... don't surprisingly enough mind the love bullshit so much yet. (I was about to hit Jessica vs. Kyrie before I went to bed). It still manages to expand and clarify on a few things like early on in the episode it's established that pieces are not supposedly capable of independent action, at least outside the game board. Also having two Beatrices is interesting only if to hear the contrast between the voices even though it's presumably the same VA.

The fairly rapid scene switching is jarring and makes you want to fast forward to the more interesting bits. I wish I could just see the closed room scenes in a rapid succession. I guess the reader is expected to think the "person" inside the closed room is Battler as established by the intro, but I wonder if there are any twists regarding that or anything else.

I wouldn't be surprised if the entire thing ends up basically being in-universe fanfic in the end, though.

I wonder if I should attempt re-reading Higurashi with the ps3 patches once I'm done with Umineko. Loading up my last save it seems I made to the beginning of Kai/Answers arc Shion...private school and...escape? before giving up. I'd probably rapid read through the first "game" though. The amount of slice of life bullshit in Higurashi with no actually exciting BGM or anything is insufferable. I only vaguely remember (at the end of the questions arc stuff about a cave and torture

Ironically the thing I appreciate most about Higurashi is finding about the Unesco world heritage site it's heavily based on.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
There is a pretty stark jump in quality across the board from the Question arcs into the Answer arcs. The story gets better, the pacing gets better (at least far fewer meanderings into slice of life segments for TOO long), and the music noticeably gets better as well. Higurashi Kai is when Ryukishi07 started to rope in his doujin music artist friends, a relationship that would propagate through to Umineko as both works share many of the same artists.

The PS3 patches are really neat and have gone above and beyond what I expected they would. Not only have they added voices, new sprites, backgrounds, CGs, but a while back they also got updated to have a NVL mode (so that the text box can be on the bottom of the screen) and loving lip synching on the sprites. It's kind of nuts.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

:eng101: ADV mode ("adventure mode") is when the text box is on the bottom of the screen and was popularized by old school Japanese adventure games, like those old detective games you can watch Arino play on GCCX, or later, Snatcher or Cobra. NVL mode ("novel mode") is when the text takes up the entire screen and was popularized by Chunsoft's "sound novels." Ryukishi07 says his games are sound novels too, though the term is mostly a meaningless marketing gimmick. The console ports of the 07th games all tend to turn them into ADV games like most modern visual novels.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Dec 12, 2018

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

honestly, Umineko just doesn’t feel right in ADV mode

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Whups, you're right, I have them backwards in my head.

dmboogie posted:

honestly, Umineko just doesn’t feel right in ADV mode
Yeah I'm with you. In general my perfect Umineko experience would actually be the original sprites with voices, but I've long accepted that's not a popular stance and since I'd rather more people experience the story than not I've generally recommended the PS3 patches anyway just to facilitate doing so.

For Higurashi I fully support its full PS3-ification though. Not sure where I'd fall on the ADV/NVL side but I think the fact that it's there at all is super neat.

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg

Nate RFB posted:

Whups, you're right, I have them backwards in my head.
Yeah I'm with you. In general my perfect Umineko experience would actually be the original sprites with voices, but I've long accepted that's not a popular stance and since I'd rather more people experience the story than not I've generally recommended the PS3 patches anyway just to facilitate doing so.

For Higurashi I fully support its full PS3-ification though. Not sure where I'd fall on the ADV/NVL side but I think the fact that it's there at all is super neat.

Yeah I pretty much agree with this. I can see the Higurashi sprites in a better light now but... they're still pretty ugly for a game that takes a while to get into anyway. The Umineko sprites don't seem that different at first but they have a much better range of expression and detail. Original + voice is the way to go IMO

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Also the original filtered photograph backgrounds are just weirdly super appealing to me for whatever reason, even if it results in hilarious sitautions in Higurashi where the car seats look GIGANTIC contrasted with the PS2/PS3 sprites (since the current patches just PS3-ify everything I'm not sure people can really experience it anymore).

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good
The PS2 patch I was using for Higurashi reverted back to original sprites exactly once during all the games, and it was during an extremely tense scene where Rena was about to murder someone. It was a sprite that heavily showcased her hands. I went from 100% immersion to cracking up in half a second.

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

The original backgrounds for Umineko are obviously what they are due to budget constraints, they're just basically low color bit versions of some actual photographs for the most part. But ironically enough, for me personally it creates a very haunting experience. And this works well for the questions arc for the most part. I would have definitely preferred for them to update the backgrounds for the PS3 version to be higher res versions of those, or anything that's not just generic anime aesthetic, basically. As for the sprites I feel the PS3 sprites go for a flat, less expressive style in comparison to the old ones. Certain anime styles have a bit of a sin of decreasing detail and expression. They're not bad, but I feel like Kyrie's sprite for example suffers heavily. She somehow seems somewhat "sharper" or more "in the know" in the "Pachinko" sprites.
PS3 & half body PS3
Pachinko

(God I was scared I'd accidentally hit spoilers searching for these).

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I don't know if it's really "budget" so much as just a largely solo project by a guy who can't draw.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
PS4 version of 428 Shibuya Scramble is on sale for $30 on NA PSN this week so I bit finally and wow I've been missing out not playing this sooner.

I love the style. The photography editing and quality is so good and the little bits of video used here and there blend really well.

I'm currently in the 13:00-14:00 section and have a couple theories. Spoiling my speculation since it's based on plot developments aka actual spoilers and not just totally blind guessing.

1.Tama is going to turn out to be Maria. This one seems pretty obvious but of major characters Maria seems important and has otherwise been unaccounted for and had no real agency in the plot. I leaned away from this earlier because it seemed like Tama had her own motivations but once it was explained she had amnesia that became my go to theory again.

1.a.) The pendant in the shop was probably disposed of by the kidnappers and the 100-yen shop proprietor found it and put it up for sale, then Tama happened upon it by coincidence. The owner's a bit sketchy but doesn't seem to be in on the whole kidnapping incident at all given that he wanted to report seeing one of them uncuffed to the police. I'd guess he isn't a criminal at all but just collects junk and resells it and doesn't want people to know the source of his products.

2. Hitomi is not bugged or tracked in any way. The assassin knowing Achi's name and being able to track them so well have a common source- Achi's father, who has oversight over all the security cameras in the area.

3. Hitomi is a carrier of the UA virus, though it lies dormant in her. Presumably she was the one her father tested the antiviral on if she contracted it, perhaps during an overseas trip. But she wasn't cured, and the virus now lies dormant in her, which would make it seem like the whole kidnapping plot was meant to bait her out, the ransom was to draw police attention away while the assassin dealt with her as discretely as possible.

Stuff I'm not sure about :

1. If Tama is Maria, then it seems to imply that she was able to escape so easily because by that point it seems like the rest of the plot had already been set in motion. But if she went straight back to her family that could still mess things up. Was the amnesia induced by the kidnappers somehow?

2. My third theory about the plot around Hitomi has something that doesn't add up and that's that the assassin is acting independently of the kidnappers. Perhaps the real objective of the kidnappers is to get ahold of Hitomi. If I remember right, Hitomi was a witness to Maria's kidnapping, so it's possible that they kidnapped the wrong person by mistake. Their real intent was maybe to get Hitomi so that they could mass produce the UA virus for some sort of terrorist plot? That would at least explain why someone is trying to assassinate Hitomi- eliminate the carrier and prevent her from falling into the wrong hands, but I don't know this whole idea feels like I'm just daydreaming.

3. Kajiwara. He's weird and I don't know what his deal is, but I think he knows a lot more about Mr. Osawa's involvement in all this than he's letting on.

Nep-Nep fucked around with this message at 10:46 on Dec 14, 2018

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
Just finished 13:00-14:00

As expected, Tama was Maria, will be interesting to see where her story goes from here. I imagine being out of the suit she might get wrapped up in things just being noticed in public eventually.

Osawa's plotline revealing that the Ua virus has been weaponized makes me ready to scrap my ideas about Hitomi carrying a dormant virus herself, though now knowing Maria and Hitomi are twins and that the kidnappers likely got the wrong sister, it needed to be her for some reason. I still think she was given the antiviral and that that ties in to why they want to kidnap her.

No ideas yet about who Canaan is or how she ties in to all this. Don't think I have enough context for that yet, but based on that guy's dying words, maybe she was the one who killed the syndicate members? Not really clear on that since in that one bad ending Kano and Stanley are killed by whoever did that, and I don't know enough about her yet to assume she would also have attacked them.

I wonder if Hitomi has some sort of other condition that might shorten her life, and that she might be a viable donor for Achi's sister, but I can't imagine Achi's father going out of his way to assassinate someone for a heart transplant. Don't want to say that's the motive for trying to kill her at this time.

Since the assassin and the syndicate don't seem to be working together, and the assassin is the one likely tracking Achi and Hitomi using the cameras, for the syndicate to independently find them outside the storehouse the way they did suggests that Tanaka is either in on the kidnapping plot, or that his communications have all been compromised.

Seems like this part of the game left me with more questions than it answered, but it got me away from some of my shakier theories. Next chapter will probably have some good developments.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I have also been playing 428, albeit off and on due to a lot of other stuff coming up. I'm still only on the 2nd hour but it's really neat so far.

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

Episode 6 of Umineko wasn't that bad to be honest.
I don't honestly have much thoughts about it because it's so... open about itself? I guess I should just take the episode at face value, I don't expect them to do a big twists regarding this episode. I do feel like it missed the opportunity for some Beatrice character history and progression, I guess. I expected some sort of living hell of tribulations and trials before she just came and rescued Battler. It's rather sudden for her to just decide to start acting like the Beatrice in the old fragments. I feel like the episode had bunch of wasted potential, all in all.

As for the beginning of episode 7 It's trying to drive more and more that nothing supernatural is happening. Still doesn't make sense with regards to the structure of the narrative and various observations we get to have. I expect the entire VN not to have any concrete evidence either way and that's supposed to be the big thing, you can interpret events as magic/supernatural or not. Somehow I'm a bit let down by Episode 6 and 7 in tandem, it makes everything seem so pedestrian and almost boring, in a way. Episode 6 seemed to say that "Beatrice" is somehow just creation of Shannon's unfulfilled desires/love. Episode 7 seems to confirm a lot of smoke and mirrors with regards to Beatrices of different eras and stuff I already expected. Episode 7's structure is also extremely exhausting and rather boring, at least in the beginning. I just finished the "making a friend" part where Gaap appears as Beatrice. As much as I was on initial Battler's side on proving everything is just tricks, somehow the narrative these stories seem to weave are almost disgustingly pedestrian, as if trying to violate the nature of the seemingly magical nature of events in a way that I wish that someone would just blow the lid off and ridicule everyone for trying to explain the events with reason.

I'm not saying the stories themselves are bad. It's just weirdly depressing. Maybe the smart thing to say here is that the world is full of boring events and tragedy and the magical observations in the fragments are coping mechanisms for various different people in the story.

edit: Yeah that scene didn't do much for me I just gathered it was Bern or some "rule" throwing a wrench into stuff but looks like the ps3 patch made it a little less effective in my honest opinion. I do agree that Will's and Lion's interactions are pretty good.
|
v

Dessel fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Dec 15, 2018

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
So, no reaction to this lil' scene? (Pretty sure that's near the start before Gaap shows up like was mentioned in your post).

I really liked Will and Lion, they have a good dynamic as a duo and Will is fun MC to have at this point in the story because he's like a less lovely Battler and just cuts through the BS on a lot of stuff. The backstories you start to get are pretty heartfelt too and yeah I'd say the "pedestrian" nature of it all is sort of the point, so as to drive home the true emotional instability/humanity and ensuing catharsis of the parties involved.

It also is the EP that has probably my favorite selection of new music, though I'll refrain from posting any because I think their various debuts (especially one super notable zts track) have a ton of impact.

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good
428 is honestly an incredible game, and the first to make me appreciate a lack of voice acting if only cause it makes it easier to play around people. A game designed around not having VA tends to accommodate better than one that has it as a toggle. Just really fun and tightly plotted/paced, which is something I've come to appreciate more and more with VNs as I've read more of them. Especially since most of the big twists are a little obvious at this point to anyone who's used to them, especially since most recent releases seem to be stuff that came out around 2012

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Dessel posted:

edit: Yeah that scene didn't do much for me I just gathered it was Bern or some "rule" throwing a wrench into stuff but looks like the ps3 patch made it a little less effective in my honest opinion. I do agree that Will's and Lion's interactions are pretty good.
You...probably should know what the deal is with that scene by this point, and I invite you to think back on its relevance a little more. At the very least don't just assume a handwave at this stage.

TalkLittle
Jun 23, 2004

Dessel posted:

edit: Yeah that scene didn't do much for me I just gathered it was Bern or some "rule" throwing a wrench into stuff but looks like the ps3 patch made it a little less effective in my honest opinion.

Hadn't seen the Umineko PS3 version until now and agree, the added voicing detracts from that specific part, and the sprite doesn't have as much impact as the Steam one.

I personally really liked that part when I first read, it was a good combination of unexpected + got me going "ohh, I see / thought so"

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Dessel posted:

Episode 6 of Umineko wasn't that bad to be honest.
I don't honestly have much thoughts about it because it's so... open about itself? I guess I should just take the episode at face value, I don't expect them to do a big twists regarding this episode. I do feel like it missed the opportunity for some Beatrice character history and progression, I guess. I expected some sort of living hell of tribulations and trials before she just came and rescued Battler. It's rather sudden for her to just decide to start acting like the Beatrice in the old fragments. I feel like the episode had bunch of wasted potential, all in all.

so, uh, how did you feel about the very last lines of EP6

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

dmboogie posted:

so, uh, how did you feel about the very last lines of EP6

Am I remembering it right that it was about there being just 17 people on the island? But was that stated in red text? That with the "think about what what Shannon scene means" made me paranoid before falling asleep. I need to check the hints and deaths from previous fragments. I'm pretty sure the human count was 18 at some point? Does that mean time has progressed? Is someone actually somehow two people. Is there a pair of people that are absolutely always dead together making them one? Is there a single scene where Kanon and Shannon interact with others at the same time in the same place? I don't see anything obvious, I just went to bed with some proper :tinfoil: thoughts. Something feels "wrong" now.

I'm sorry, I think I'm dumb.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
It was indeed stated in red text.

Originally, in EP1-EP4, the total human count was "There are no more than 18 humans on Rokkenjima", later changed to "There are no more than 17 humans" once Kinzo was outed as being dead the entire time.

Then in EP6, Erika is the "18th human to visit the island" but even if you add her into the whole cast the total number "makes 17 humans"

Also think about, well, the entirety of the plot of EP6. Why did there need to be a "love battle" in the first place? How could the final locked room mystery work?

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Here's something I wondered while in the middle(?) Of Episode 6 of Umineko. It's been know openly acknowledged that all murders that occur CAN be done with human tricks. After all, it wouldn't be a real game if the magic side actually used magic and made it impossible for the other side to win. But like, if both sides say that humans could have preformed these murders doesn't that defeat the whole purpose of the game anyway? Now it's less about proving magic or something like that, and more like a riddle to test the human side (or I guess Erika now) if they can figure out how it was done. But there feels like there is no stakes if that is all we're doing.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Now it's less about proving magic or something like that, and more like a riddle to test the human side (or I guess Erika now) if they can figure out how it was done. But there feels like there is no stakes if that is all we're doing.
I think you're not....technically wrong about this interpretation, but to get into why (and why it still results in there being some stakes) I think you'd have to finish the whole thing.

There's basically a dividing line between the first four chapters and the latter four in my mind, where the nature of "why" in the game subtly changes its nature and goal without necessarily changing what is actually going on the general EP-by-EP plot progression. You still get the murders, the mysteries, the wits, the colored text, etc., but their usage and impact sort of changes its audience for lack of a better word?

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I think you need to think about what the real purpose of the game was.

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg
Ep6-8 is where it starts to become clear that the genre is not actually murder mystery or fantasy exactly

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I think you need to think about what the real purpose of the game was.

I mean I know that Beatrice had ulterior motives when she was running the games, she never cared about winning but more revealing something to Battler. But now it seems a little more pointless due to what both sides admitted. And I know the purpose of THIS game is more to unveil the truth Battler found out, but Erika at least still takes it seriously as a battle so like, I don't know.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

I mean I know that Beatrice had ulterior motives when she was running the games, she never cared about winning but more revealing something to Battler. But now it seems a little more pointless due to what both sides admitted.
The reason it is often said that "you can solve the mystery after EP4", despite the fact that I think that would still be extremely difficult and require a few logical leaps that are more easily spelled out in EP5+, is because more or less what you've stated. The "need" for lack of a better term for the entire conflict dissipates to a certain extent not that long after that point. However even if Battler were to learn the truth....

quote:

...but Erika at least still takes it seriously as a battle so like, I don't know.
...that in turn creates a new problem when this character, and what she represents both metaphysically and thematically, tries to brute force their way into what was originally a very personal tale of tragedy.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
428 Shibuya Scramble, 16:00-17:00 spoilers

Kotone Endo. Goddamnit. I think in one of my posts above if not in the actual post at least while writing I entertained the idea of the motive to kill Hitomi being exactly what it turned out to be, but wrote it off because it seemed a little too hard to picture. Tateno's history with Kotone makes it make sense why he'd get involved with the plot.

I'm assuming that while some bad endings are informative that some of them are silly. If Maria has the UA virus then the bad ending where she remains as Tama and decides to become a professional eater doesn't make any sense, so that would be one of the silly ones. I think it's fair to say with endings like that I shouldn't think about it too hard.

There has been excellent music throughout the game but particularly in this chapter they've really nailed the tension from a sound design standpoint.

Early 17:00-18:00

Kenji "Negligence" Osawa

edit again:

Finished 17:00-18:00

Given that Alphard set a deadline of 19:00, and Katayama it's possible Katayama is Alphard? He kinda came out of nowhere though so that's the only point I have on that.

Part of me is concerned that it's gonna be Yanagishita but just because he's had probably more "right place, weird time" moments than anyone else in a story full of them, and he sort of went off the story's radar a couple chapters ago with no real explanation, and unlike everyone else's backstory where the characters have these complicated and fleshed out motives, Yanagishita's debt was built up for a goofy reason. He can also show that moment of character growth in that one bad end branch with Midorikawa, but it feels like regardless of whether or not he says it, that he should've learned that lesson anyway, but then at the big department store he's just up to his usual nonsense.

Can't really tell if the story is leading that way with having the main antagonist hiding in plain sight as a gag character, or if he is just a real gag character who stepped away from the story once it approached the climax.

Overall I'd say Yanagshita is probably just a goofball, just noting that the thought crossed my mind.

Okay just got to the reveal of who it was and I'm glad it wasn't anything stupid like that.

Nep-Nep fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Dec 16, 2018

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

Umineko episode 7
So I guess I'm supposed to believe that Beatrice is the ""elevated"" form of some servant who is the descendant of Kinzo's, but somehow simultaneously the manifestation of (or that they took) Shannon's love for Battler? By the way, they were 12 in that scene so perhaps I'm cold hearted but I can't exactly take any professions of love at that age seriously. gently caress, all the scenes with George and Shannon at the age of 18/19 had me somewhat rolling me eyes throughout the game even if I think of them as emotionally sweet. Aside from that, the episode was just low-key depressing and muted because how "Clair" was liberated of her "burdens". I might've been sleep deprived at the time but Beatrice showing up to solve the mystery was a little confusing to me. Dunno what to make of that.

I still don't know what to make of EP6's closed room mystery, apart from throwing a wild unbased theory that Kanon and Shannon are fictional and maybe Battler murdered everyone in the mansion for...reasons. I wish the game had proper chapter selection so I could check the truth battle from episode 6 so I could summarily dismiss that insanely stupid theory. I did think about Shannon and Kanon being "half" a human/love and that they're manifestations of potential love one of which has to be chosen to be fulfilled or whatever. Also, I'm absolutely not a proponent of polyamory but the absolute definitions of love by the demons/game had me a little bothered because I like to keep an open mind.

I'm still sure what to make of Beatrice Castiglioni, daughter and....daughter-daughter? in this episode and if the ages can make sense

It's pretty amazing that the Italian puppet state insignia actually fits the story the game is weaving.

edit: It's dumb but the fact episode 7 didn't even show Asumu's sprite had me groaning out loud

Episode 7 tea partie(s)
Coming from EP7 proper: :gbsmith:
Well, it's nice to see the Ushiromiya siblings working together with a common end goal in mind. Reminds me a little of my uncles and... :downs:
drat, they're making some progress here :haw:
Eva chill, guys chill :bang:
Uhhh.. Well, that escalated :stonklol:
Hey it's Ange again! :)
Uh, oh, no :emo:

I was almost expecting Ange to start a quest for finding her hiding mother to murder the poo poo out of her in the end in case she actually survived. I'm not sure if those events were "real" because that characterization of Kyrie and Rudolf seemed quite a bit too far. Made me proper mad for Ange though. Even if it the events in the end are real an ending where the relationship between Ange and Eva didn't sour would have been almost bittersweet, regardless how lovely she was in the "VIP room".

Episode 6 seemed to suggest crime/struggling for passion while episode 7's aftermath seems to suggest crime for selfish desires, an interesting contrast.

At this point I don't know how EP8 can satisfactorily end the game since I'm still a little taken aback by "Beatrice-proper" dying way back and learning of her supposed origin and creation. I know those are fairly shallow emotions to have though. Not to mention the status? of Battler, etc. Not too enthusiastic that EP7 tea room is suggesting that EP8 is about Battler? telling a happy story to child-Ange. On the other hand Bernkastel saying in red that she (loophole here) would not tell a story with a happy ending doesn't really have me that intrigued either. I feel like the episode would need to make some sort of crazy twist to change the perspective or something to make it a worthwhile finale.

Otherwise I'd almost expect a stereotypical "here we go into another truth battle in infinite recursions because that's what these two like to do" -ending, or something.

Dessel fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Dec 16, 2018

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
To spell it all out (obviously super duper huge spoilers for up to the end of Umineko EP7): Shannon, Kanon, and Beatrice are all different personalities of one person, "Yasu". EP7 details how Yasu came to develop these personalities through Clair's story. The reason there was a love battle in the first place in EP6 is to strongly hint at this relationship: only one of them can "win" their love, because quite literally for it to come to fruition the other two can not exist. This is also the solution to the locked room mystery at the end of EP6, wherein one of Shannon/Kanon "ceases to exist". Lion is the result of Yasu never existing because she was accepted by Natsuhi and not abandoned/physically mutilated by falling off the cliff as a child. The game as laid out before the player was constructed by Beatrice who inherited Shannon's love of Battler after having her heart broken (this is strongly implied to be because George kept Battler's letters from reaching Shannon); Beatrice wants Battler to remember their earlier encounters and decides to to accomplish this through the murders since their shared a love of murder mysteries.

...except that we also learn that the bomb on the island destroys all the evidence and therefore the entirety of the events played out before us are "what ifs" to explain what happened. Whether Beatrice actually went through the murders or not is not knowable (...or is it?), and Bernkastel's explanation is one intended to be the most cruel for the lone survivor of the family, Ange.

E: Regarding Ange and Eva's relationship and why it is the way it is in EP3, there actually is an side material (The Witches' Tanabata, I believe) where Bernkastel intentionally poisons their relationship. There are actually a whole bunch of relevant and not-so-relevant side material TIPS like that that are unfortunately not immediately available in the games proper, and are either only available in loosely collected translations and side fandiscs.

E 2: You actually alluded to this in an earlier post but, you NEVER see Kanon and Shannon in the same room as the "detective". In EP1-EP4, this is Battler. In EP5+, this is either Erika or Will. This was a very popular theory in the early episodes as they were coming out especially when it became clear you had to take what you saw with a grain of salt when it wasn't from Battler's perspective (such as any "normal" scene with Kinzo when obviously he was dead the whole time). Funnily enough Battler does see Kanon and Shannon together in EP5...but by then he is not the detective, Erika is, and you don't see that scene from her perspective. Sneaky.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Dec 16, 2018

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Nate RFB posted:

To spell it all out (obviously super duper huge spoilers for up to the end of Umineko EP7):

important distinction (again, huge umineko spoilers) Shannon, Kanon, and Beatrice are different personae, not different personalities - Shannon is basically Yasu's "service industry voice", but as an entire person, and so on - Yasu obviously has a lot of mental health problems because gently caress the Ushiromiya family, but the game's not going for a lovely "they're a scary mentally ill person with split personalities, oh no" thing

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

Pretty sure the canonical version of what happened is (EP8) They have a fun halloween party and no one died and actually everyone is fine. and I will not accept anyone telling me different.

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg

Gloomy Rube posted:

Pretty sure the canonical version of what happened is (EP8) They have a fun halloween party and no one died and actually everyone is fine. and I will not accept anyone telling me different.

hell, same

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

Massive spoilers to Umineko all over in this post:

Nate RFB posted:

(...)(this is strongly implied to be because George kept Battler's letters from reaching Shannon)(...)

Yeah I wasn't capable of "vocalizing" my thoughts but I had an inkling the situation was as you described in your full post. As for the part I directly quoted :wtf:
It's also beside the point but all of these relationships basically mean romantic involvement of someone who's essentially an aunt/uncle/whatever to the romantic interest which is a whole another thing.

Nate RFB posted:

E: Regarding Ange and Eva's relationship and why it is the way it is in EP3, there actually is an side material (The Witches' Tanabata, I believe) where Bernkastel intentionally poisons their relationship. There are actually a whole bunch of relevant and not-so-relevant side material TIPS like that that are unfortunately not immediately available in the games proper, and are either only available in loosely collected translations and side fandiscs.

Neat to know, although probably incredibly depressing material to consume. I'm sure the boat ride to Rokkenjima in Episode 8 will result in lighthearted fun this time around, though :dance:

edit: as for the beginning of Episode 8 I'm incredibly weirded and creeped out by Ange (piece?) having the cognition of that yes she is Ange of 12 years in the future at least in the beginning but having the mind and body of a 6-year-old both in the beginning and right at the game's start.... Also the episode literally starts with a shackle sound in the intro screen.

Dessel fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Dec 16, 2018

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Nate RFB posted:

The reason it is often said that "you can solve the mystery after EP4", despite the fact that I think that would still be extremely difficult and require a few logical leaps that are more easily spelled out in EP5+, is because more or less what you've stated. The "need" for lack of a better term for the entire conflict dissipates to a certain extent not that long after that point. However even if Battler were to learn the truth....
...that in turn creates a new problem when this character, and what she represents both metaphysically and thematically, tries to brute force their way into what was originally a very personal tale of tragedy.

Hm, that's interesting. I'll have to keep that kind of thought in mind!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
428 Shibuya ending:

OH WHAT THE gently caress THE CIA HIGHER UPS WERE IN ON IT.

The trophy that unlocked said this was the "normal ending" so maybe there's a different or better ending? Might as well poke around. Seems like I missed a lot of bad endings so I want to at least have fun finding all of those, as well as the bonus content.

edit: So part of why I didn't see Alphard's identity coming is because I know the anime Canaan exists and though I haven't seen it I have seen what Canaan looks like in it, but when I saw Canaan looked nothing like her anime counterpart my thinking was just "eh, that's anime for ya." I played myself on that one.

Maria's phone ringing at the end makes me guess that's a call from the real Canaan. I kinda hope there's some content I can find in here where she shows up. Though her face hasn't been shown the photos that have been indicates she does look like her anime counterpart which made me feel even sillier with that reveal.

Nep-Nep fucked around with this message at 09:56 on Dec 17, 2018