Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Mulderman posted:

My issue with these dark chefs is that their way of cooking is way too bizarre.
This is the kind of stuff that should be used for the judging of the cooking.

Like the reactions to the food should be the things that are way over the top and out there. That's always been part of the charm of this series. By taking that element and using it in the "real world" you lose part of what made those moments so memorable.

A dish prepared with a spice infused chainsaw, is something a judge would use to describe a dish. Not something that's actually happening.

I get what you're saying, but this is the series that gave us MEAT SONATA in like battle 3. And a lot of Hayama's super nose stuff was pretty over the top.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Inflammatory posted:

yeah i can't wait for megumi to lose but also show that she has ~potential~, again.

you mean like that first dark chef that was built up to be some kind of cooking nightmare that she casually defeated without seeming to try?

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Patware posted:

you mean like that first dark chef that was built up to be some kind of cooking nightmare that she casually defeated without seeming to try?

He was built up to be a nightmare, then revealed to be essentially a mook relative to other Dark Chefs.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

oh jay posted:

I get what you're saying, but this is the series that gave us MEAT SONATA in like battle 3. And a lot of Hayama's super nose stuff was pretty over the top.

As with everything else with Nikumi it was a massive loving outlier and the series went in a different direction after that for a longass time.

And "he smells things good" is way different than "biiiiiitchess I got a fuckin paprika chainsaw"

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
poo poo if the rest of the manga followed the trajectory set by Nikumi's fight I wouldn't have watched/read it because it was looking kinda dire right around then

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

https://readms.net/r/shokugeki_no_souma/292/5545/1?mobile=1

Eh...

Kinda hosed up to skip the food.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

Wtf, is he getting cancelled soon? Lol at a food manga skipping the food. Of course, this could also be a way to drag out the current fight with a million flashbacks, to which I say: Why?

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I have a feeling we're getting rushed to a conclusion here.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Let's talk about the only food that showed up this chapter. Would any of you eat the meat flower?

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Electric Phantasm posted:

Let's talk about the only food that showed up this chapter. Would any of you eat the meat flower?

Megmui's meat blossom.

Edit: So this chapter would've been more interesting if we got to see what Tsukasa and Takumi made. Instead, we got Megumi's (which isn't bad). But the set up now seems extremely meh given that it's more standard stations (though it looks like it's made for four) so we're back to 1v1s afaict. Obviously we'll get some sort of gimmick ingredient or type of dish, but meh.

Xelkelvos fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Dec 14, 2018

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Fabricated posted:

I have a feeling we're getting rushed to a conclusion here.

Same, it sucks but whatever, gently caress the editors I guess :shrug:

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

TheKingofSprings posted:

Same, it sucks but whatever, gently caress the editors I guess :shrug:
To be fair the Japanese readers hated the central arc to the point Tsukuda apologized on Twitter about parts of it. I don't really blame them either.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Fabricated posted:

To be fair the Japanese readers hated the central arc to the point Tsukuda apologized on Twitter about parts of it. I don't really blame them either.

Azami bullshit started around the time of the first editor change and the totally botched romance plot line started around the second.

Tsukuda’s number one with a bullet for blame but I’m not leaving them out

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose

Mimesweeper posted:

I agree with all of this, they're setting up some utterly absurd nonsense villains for the main characters to take down with proper culinary wizardry and their own personal touches, this is all perfect and I fuckin love it all. Megumi is going to CRUSH these fools with kindness and it will own so hard.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
I have a microplane so I should be the No. 1 seat

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

how do the people in the front row see into the arena

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Also, Takumi apparently won the Mezzaluna from Souma offscreen at some point before this chapter.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

TheKingofSprings posted:

Also, Takumi apparently won the Mezzaluna from Souma offscreen at some point before this chapter.

yeah but like whatever its not like its important to him or anything

dudermcbrohan
May 14, 2013
i mean he’s gonna use again after this and he’ll have an opportunity to flashback to how he got it back from soma

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

dudermcbrohan posted:

i mean he’s gonna use again after this and he’ll have an opportunity to flashback to how he got it back from soma

Otoh Takumi is pretty boring other than as a foil to Souma or when he's channeling a better character.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Xelkelvos posted:

Megmui's meat blossom.

Edit: So this chapter would've been more interesting if we got to see what Tsukasa and Takumi made. Instead, we got Megumi's (which isn't bad). But the set up now seems extremely meh given that it's more standard stations (though it looks like it's made for four) so we're back to 1v1s afaict. Obviously we'll get some sort of gimmick ingredient or type of dish, but meh.

The final ingredient is going to be durian fruit, showcasing the culmination of all Soma's attempts to pair odd things.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Gyges posted:

The final ingredient is going to be durian fruit, showcasing the culmination of all Soma's attempts to pair odd things.

it's gonna be an egg dish

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
https://readms.net/r/shokugeki_no_souma/293/5556/1?mobile=1

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
I guess that's an appropriate dish for the season and the use of the chainsaw is definitely more plausible. I have no loving clue what Souma's gonna do and I'm not actually all that excited to find out other than by what bullshit he wins by.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

we never saw her change cartridges in the chainsaw from 'steak spice' to 'i don't know vanilla' so that means i have to assume she blasted that meringue with emeril's finest

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

ok fine, it was a good chapter

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I think we hit the time travel bread moment a while back really

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Fabricated posted:

I think we hit the time travel bread moment a while back really

Honestly I think it might’ve been when Azami stripped the whole school because it started really going downhill not long after that

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
https://readms.net/r/shokugeki_no_souma/294/5569/1

Hey guys! Soma made a dish that is really good but nothing too special.... YET! Because we haven't seen it's true form yet!

AGAIN!

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
I mean that is his specialty, transformational food items.

Some use chainsaws some use giant swords, Souma uses transformational food.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
It's also a great way to pad out chapters

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Yeah, in my head that's less of Soma's special move and more of Tsukuda's.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

at least this time the transformation thing was right there on the cake

he didn't pull a magic sauce from the secret folds of his apron

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Dexo posted:

I mean that is his specialty, transformational food items.

Some use chainsaws some use giant swords, Souma uses transformational food.

The Goku of the cooking world

E: when’s he reaching ultra instinct

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

"But then how could he surpass the third trial?"

Why is she saying this like she wasn't the judge of the the third trial?

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

This comic is stupid.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Newest Chapter: https://readms.net/r/shokugeki_no_souma/295/5621/1

CRUMBLE FANTASY

drat it a 3* Chicken Cheese broke my pity rate...

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...
RIP Tsukasa, sacrificial lamb for the new guy.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Can't believe they'd just slide in a "you're so pretty, you should smile more" in tyool 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
is it possible to gas a manga