Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I really don’t understand why these scenes were cut, especially if the intent was to build up the character for a future film.

“Hey we’re doing a Flash film in a year or so, should we tease his supporting cast and get the audience invested in them early?”
“Eh, cut the scene and give him more one-liners.”

One of the things that dragged BvS down is a bunch of aimless poo poo meant to set up future movies. I'm glad they did not repeat that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Eh i dunno, i dont see an extra flash scene making that movie any worse than it already was

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

SonicRulez posted:

One of the things that dragged BvS down is a bunch of aimless poo poo meant to set up future movies. I'm glad they did not repeat that.

I’d have gladly taken that scene over whatever the hell that dumb Batman meets Aquaman scene was, or the scene where Lex watches a bunch of teaser trailers on his laptop.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I’d have gladly taken that scene over whatever the hell that dumb Batman meets Aquaman scene was, or the scene where Lex watches a bunch of teaser trailers on his laptop.

Oh. Lex. Sure the other completely miscast dude.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I like that Lex decided to give them logos, too!

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

The follow up movie was going to be Lex suing them for trademark infringement.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

While the end credits scene gets a lot of deserved hype I also really liked how during the credits you actually get a full version of the Spider-Man Christmas song, actually sung by Chris Pine.

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
It's funny how the most universally acclaimed Spider-Man film in recent memory is ultimately the brainchild of noted Spider-Man ruiner Dan Slott.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 17 days!

Mr Hootington posted:

The Prowler scenes are all incredible and the music for them is top notch.

Speaking of which, does anyone know the theme music for Prowler

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Chickenwalker posted:

It's funny how the most universally acclaimed Spider-Man film in recent memory is ultimately the brainchild of noted Spider-Man ruiner Dan Slott.

Slott's ideas and general outlines are usually pretty good. It is the execution and turning that idea into a story where it often falls apart.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

Also this movie has almost nothing in common with the comic storyline, aside from "spider-people from other dimensions team up" as a basic premise.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Even if Slott came up with "let's do a crossover with Spider-people!" he didn't come up with the alternate versions.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

muscles like this! posted:

While the end credits scene gets a lot of deserved hype I also really liked how during the credits you actually get a full version of the Spider-Man Christmas song, actually sung by Chris Pine.

Where Pete has an existential crisis halfway through, and it's implied they kept it in the final released album.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
This was the best spider-man movie ever.

The best animated movie of the decade.

The best legacy hero story.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
They're also clearly future-proofing Spider-Man 2099. You don't cast Oscar Isaac for a one-off gag that half the audience will never even see.

And damnit, Stan's cameo came right as the cinema was surprisingly dusty. "It always fits. Eventually." :cry:

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?

Rhymenoserous posted:

Oh. Lex. Sure the other completely miscast dude.

To me it's less that he was miscast and more they just took Joker's lines from an earlier draft and just gave them to Lex.

Also that wig was just awful. What is it with DC comics adaptations and terrible wigs?

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Enola Gay-For-Pay posted:

Also this movie has almost nothing in common with the comic storyline, aside from "spider-people from other dimensions team up" as a basic premise.

Yeah I'm not trying to make any kind of point, just saying it's funny. But that basic premise is definitely more important than whatever MacGuffin that motivates it even in the original, and it did come out of his head, so...?

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

I recall reading something that he was originally looked at to play a small cameo as The Riddler and Zack Snyder liked his performance so much that they decided to modernize the interpretation of Lex Luther based on it with him in the role

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

What song was playing when Gwen got her little origin thing?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Dacap posted:

I recall reading something that he was originally looked at to play a small cameo as The Riddler and Zack Snyder liked his performance so much that they decided to modernize the interpretation of Lex Luther based on it with him in the role

Does anyone remember that rumour from 2008 about how the sequel to Dark Knight would definitely feature the Riddler and he'd be played by David Tennant?

I do.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Wheat Loaf posted:

Does anyone remember that rumour from 2008 about how the sequel to Dark Knight would definitely feature the Riddler and he'd be played by David Tennant?

I do.

We already got The Riddler in The Dark Knight though.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Having mark fuckerberg as a supervillain isn't necessarily a terrible idea but they should've gone for the irl robotman version instead of the whimsical theatric type in the movie cuz the actor doesn't have the charisma for it

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I don't really follow Spider-Man comics, so is it just a movie thing that Gwen is called Spider-Woman? Because I thought they went with a different hero name for her.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

No, Gwen is known as Spider-Woman in her own book. There have been cartoons and stuff like that where they've referred to her as "Ghost-Spider" (which is terrible) just to differentiate her from the other Spider-Woman, though.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Ghost Spider is actually good and that is the title of her book now. Spider Gwen is a good name for branding but a terrible hero name for obvious reasons.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Oh okay, I wasn't aware they since changed the name of the book.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Does Sony also own the rights to Jessica Drew/Spider-Woman?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Arist posted:

Oh okay, I wasn't aware they since changed the name of the book.

They still keep Spider-Gwen in the title for branding. The series is only three issues in so far.

FlamingLiberal posted:

Does Sony also own the rights to Jessica Drew/Spider-Woman?

The name Spider-Woman yes, the character Jessica Drew is a little murkier. Apparently Marvel can use her if she’s not Spider powered. Like as SHIELD or something.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

muscles like this! posted:

I don't really follow Spider-Man comics, so is it just a movie thing that Gwen is called Spider-Woman? Because I thought they went with a different hero name for her.

She was always Spider-Woman as far as her in universe code name. They used Spider-Gwen as branding to differentiate her from the other Spider-Women/Girls they had. And like it's been stated, they recently changed it to Ghost Spider, which is cool and ghost spiders are a real thing.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Wheat Loaf posted:

I do.

The rumors I saw were always Neil Patrick Harris. Which. Alright. I'm not against it.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

site posted:

Having mark fuckerberg as a supervillain isn't necessarily a terrible idea but they should've gone for the irl robotman version instead of the whimsical theatric type in the movie cuz the actor doesn't have the charisma for it

You... You realise Jesse Eisenberg LITERALLY played Zuckerberg in a movie, right? Like that's pretty much why they decided he could play Lex that way.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Gaz-L posted:

You... You realise Jesse Eisenberg LITERALLY played Zuckerberg in a movie, right? Like that's pretty much why they decided he could play Lex that way.

And then they had him play Lex completely different from that is their point, I think.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Gaz-L posted:

Yeah but that movie was good and he played that role really well. His Lex had very little in common with that and was total trash.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Codependent Poster posted:

Even if Slott came up with "let's do a crossover with Spider-people!" he didn't come up with the alternate versions.

Slott came up with Spider-Gwen didn't he? And wanted her costume to be the clothes she was wearing when she got chucked off the bridge.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

howe_sam posted:

Slott came up with Spider-Gwen didn't he? And wanted her costume to be the clothes she was wearing when she got chucked off the bridge.

I suppose I should amend my statement to "created" them. Coming up with the idea is one thing, but creating her is something else. Like yeah, his idea for a costume is terrible and what we got instead was an instant classic.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Yeah, he wanted a suit with a trench coat like Gwen was known for, but with a classic Spider-Man motif.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

X-O posted:

Yeah, he wanted a suit with a trench coat like Gwen was known for, but with a classic Spider-Man motif.

howe_sam posted:

These two phrases say more about the writer's bias regarding Slott than I think it does about Slott himself. I mean it's a bad idea either way, but the latter is such a gross notion that I can't fathom that being an idea anyone actually legitimately presents, whereas I can see the former being "well, she's not a big part of the story, so what makes her instantly recognisable as Gwen in a crowd shot".

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I searched and here's the actual quote from Slott on it.

quote:

It's really weird, because for the most part, the thing that became "Amazing Spider-Man" #9 had a lot of stuff in it that was done and in a drawer for a year -- back when it was an issue of "Superior Spider-Man." I always knew Spider UK was coming. There was always going to be a Gwen Stacy who was bitten by a spider and became the Spider-Woman of her world. There were certain characters that were just always there.

If you grew up outside of New York and were a Spider-Man fan, it doesn't matter where you're from. You'd tend to wonder, "Hey, why doesn't Spider-Man live in my town?" If you're from St. Louis, you're like, "Spider-Man should come to St. Louis." If you're from Oakland, you're like, "Spider-Man should come to Oakland!" Every kid is like that when they're reading Spider-Man, and when I was a kid, I was growing up in England. So part of me always wanted to see a British Spider-Man. A lot of that was wish fulfillment.

Also, there were all kinds of strange bits of magical alchemy that happened as different people contributed to "Spider-Verse." Two prime examples of that were Spider-Gwen and Spider-Punk.

In the case of Spider-Gwen, Robbi Rodriguez designed, like, the greatest costume ever. Before her first story ever came out in that amazing tale that Jason Latour wrote for "Edge of Spider-Verse" #2, people were already cosplaying as Spider-Gwen. I was bragging to friends, though, for years, saying that once "Spider-Verse" comes out. I guarantee that there will be two characters that everyone cosplays as -- the Gwen Stacy Spider-Woman, and when I go to British conventions, Spider UK. I guarantee it.

I described the Gwen Stacy costume in the old "Superior Spider-Man" plot. The costume was very specific -- and it was just good luck that no one sent that to the "Edge of Spider-Verse" team, so they came up with their own thing.

In my head, I lived with this character for a year, and the visual I had for her was pretty much "The Night Gwen Stacy Died" outfit, but all red and blue with web patterns and a half mask. So you look at it and go, "Hey! It's Gwen as Spider-Girl." She had the trench coat, but instead of it being lime green, it'd be red with webs.

I so wanted that -- and since that was the character that was in my head, and even though these great designs came in, I was like, "That's not Spider-Gwen!" I was the one guy going, "They have to change it!" Then I got to see what they were doing and I was so glad no one listened to me. [Laughs] Because this character is awesome! It's so much better. So that was some really great alchemy -- and luck.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Huh, so kinda 'split the diff' with a hair more towards the "this is how you'll know it's her in a 2 page splash" side.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

And the original design for Spider-Man UK became Spider Punk.