Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

it makes it so you never have to pay property taxes. under prop 13 the house's assessed value for tax purposes only gets updated to the new fair market value when it is sold. it was designed with this huge fuckoff loophole where a shell company can own the house and you can sell the shell company which means the house itself is never sold so you still pay tax on the 1978 value.

Shear Modulus has issued a correction as of 00:50 on Dec 17, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Shear Modulus posted:

it makes it so you never have to pay property taxes. under prop 13 the house's assessed value for tax purposes only gets updated to the new fair market value when it is sold. it was designed with this huge fuckoff loophole where a shell company can own the house and you can sell the shell company which means the house itself is never sold so you still pay tax on the 1978 value.

Somehow I just knew it was going to be some form of cheating or fraud.

gently caress Ross Johnston.

Muscle Wizard
Jul 28, 2011

by sebmojo

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

who wants to see a developer getting hosed:

https://outline.com/aasLq6

loling endlessly at the fact that a 5 million dollar house is outrageous because its merely double or triple the average house price in sf.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Chomp8645 posted:

The guy had a company with the name of the address the house was located at? Presumably just to manage that single house on it's own?

I don't what particular trick that accomplishes but imo this detail is all I need to know that Ross Johnston is a loving rear end in a top hat.

I knew a guy who invented a charitable organization (and suckered people into donating money to it that he would then pay to its employees (him and his wife)) and made his home the main office so he could be exempt from property tax.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

spacetoaster posted:

I knew a guy who invented a charitable organization (and suckered people into donating money to it that he would then pay to its employees (him and his wife)) and made his home the main office so he could be exempt from property tax.

*35% of america* well that's just knowing how to use the system to your advantage- smart!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Shear Modulus posted:

it makes it so you never have to pay property taxes.

pretty sure they have to pay property taxes, they just don’t go up. (they lose the principal residence cap gains exemption on sale, too.)

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
I read somewhere once that the tax system is set up on the assumption that people will get the best outcome for themselves via deductions and whatnot. loving the system just seems like the right thing to do if you earn less than 100k a year.

And keep a a list of wealthy people who live within walking distance.

jimmyjams
Jan 10, 2001

King Kong of Megadongs
Gobblin' them mega schlongs
Makin' sure they mega long
Stroke' 'em if they mega strong

boar guy posted:

*35% of america* well that's just knowing how to use the system to your advantage- smart!

isnt this more like 75% of america

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Shear Modulus posted:

Also it lets him do stuff like just declare the llc is bankrupt if he doesn't wanna comply with that order then do an abc bankruptcy and buy assets off it ir do other tricks like dissolve it to get out of trouble.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Chomp8645 posted:

The guy had a company with the name of the address the house was located at? Presumably just to manage that single house on it's own?

I don't what particular trick that accomplishes but imo this detail is all I need to know that Ross Johnston is a loving rear end in a top hat.

This is extremely common yeah, usually when ppl own multiple properties

It is a tax thing and also a liability thing - if someone sues you for reasons related to property X then they can only go after what property X LLC owns even if the owner of the llc owns a lot of other stuff too)

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Wasabi the J posted:

The only houses I know that are bought by LLC are rented out.

gently caress landlords

Yeah the liability thing is real great for landlords

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Subjunctive posted:

pretty sure they have to pay property taxes, they just don’t go up. (they lose the principal residence cap gains exemption on sale, too.)

yes as you might have seen in the remainder of my two-sentence post i die indeed say they pay the taxes on the hilariously low 1978 value

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

the house i live in with three roommates for ~$4000 a month is according to zillow worth like $1.8M but the county assesses it at $120k and the property taxes are $6000 a year

just lmao

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It'd be nice if property taxes were based on the rent the landlord receives. But California is determined to bring back feudal priviledge so welp

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Larry Parrish posted:

It'd be nice if property taxes were based on the rent the landlord receives. But California is determined to bring back feudal priviledge so welp

rental yield in california is complete dog poo poo despite the rents themselves being high because the property prices are so leveraged

qkkl
Jul 1, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
yo why do all tech companies love california so much? is it really just the good weather?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

qkkl posted:

yo why do all tech companies love california so much? is it really just the good weather?

William Shockley had a sick mother in Palo Alto and the rest is the snowball effect.

One of the regulatory factors you’ll see cited is that California courts do not enforce noncompete agreements.

succ
Nov 11, 2016

by Cyrano4747

qkkl posted:

Proximity to other tech companies allowing more movement between tech skilled workers.

Similar to how Microsoft developed the Seattle area.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
I doubt the weather hurts tho. when everything isn't on fire it's really nice out there. I was in LA two weeks ago and it was like 60 and sunny during the day. Now I'm back in Michigan and I've seen the sun like twice since I got back.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
I imagine the nice climate is good for attracting talent, too

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Hollywood got started as the movie place because it was as far away as they could get from Edison's film patent goons.

qkkl
Jul 1, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Platystemon posted:

William Shockley had a sick mother in Palo Alto and the rest is the snowball effect.

One of the regulatory factors you’ll see cited is that California courts do not enforce noncompete agreements.

That doesn't make sense, noncompete agreements benefit companies because workers can't just leave their job for better pay at a competitor, thus allowing companies to pay workers less and make them work harder.

Tech companies would make the most money by all leaving California and going to a state that enforces noncompete agreements so they can exploit their workers more. But it will only work if ALL tech companies left California in unison, otherwise tech workers would want to stay with the companies that remained in California.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Well O.K., going back to the original phrasing, tech companies don’t love it.

Still, it’s good for the sector as a whole and any SV wanabe locale that enforces noncompetes is not setting themselves up for success.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

qkkl posted:

That doesn't make sense, noncompete agreements benefit companies because workers can't just leave their job for better pay at a competitor, thus allowing companies to pay workers less and make them work harder.

Tech companies would make the most money by all leaving California and going to a state that enforces noncompete agreements so they can exploit their workers more. But it will only work if ALL tech companies left California in unison, otherwise tech workers would want to stay with the companies that remained in California.

That's called the prisoner's dilemma. It ends with none of them being able to leave for fear of all the talent going away to other companies who stayed. Not that it matters since tons of states don't enforce non-compete agreements these days.

Also, they chose California because it's where all the computer manufacturing companies were since a lot of that tech was invented at Stanford iirc. Now it's there for the same reasons all finance companies are centered around NYC. It's where everyone else is.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Also a lot of national labs are in California which is where all the tech jobs were before the consumer market so why start a company in Minnesota or whatever when all your potential hires live in the Bay Area?

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

I doubt the weather hurts tho. when everything isn't on fire it's really nice out there. I was in LA two weeks ago and it was like 60 and sunny during the day. Now I'm back in Michigan and I've seen the sun like twice since I got back.

the bay area doesn't really burn that's to the north or way to the south

also california labor law is an important factor. among other things, non-competes aren't really a thing in california (you hafta pay them while they're active here), and it's basically illegal for employers to claim ownership of the side projects their workers create

Larry Parrish posted:

Also a lot of national labs are in California which is where all the tech jobs were before the consumer market so why start a company in Minnesota or whatever when all your potential hires live in the Bay Area?

lotta aerospace stuff too which preceded all the microchip assembly - and both are why there are so many superfund sites around here; santa clara county is polluted as hellllllll

H.P. Hovercraft has issued a correction as of 18:08 on Dec 17, 2018

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Silicon Valley used to be a place where you could get every single aspect of the computer parts manufacturing process done, starting from fuckin' sand and ending up with a finished computer. That gave it a hell of a lot of momentum that it's still sorta coasting on.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
bay area environmentalism has its roots in the fact that santa clara has the most superfund sites in the nation

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
There was also good infrastructure and it snowballed.

Funny how areas that were busy laying down fiber got business that the areas tax cutting themselves into desolation missed out on. Weird.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
https://twitter.com/boring_as_heck/status/1074831894447943680

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
I'm conflicted, considering juries are always filled with morons. Just because a court found it to be true doesn't mean it's an actual fact.

qkkl
Jul 1, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Lambert posted:

I'm conflicted, considering juries are always filled with morons. Just because a court found it to be true doesn't mean it's an actual fact.

I thought this way too at first but at our school they literally brought some kind of indoctrination instructor who told us that if everyone says 1 + 1 = 3 then it makes it true.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

qkkl posted:

I thought this way too at first but at our school they literally brought some kind of indoctrination instructor who told us that if everyone says 1 + 1 = 3 then it makes it true.

If everyone says that 1 + 1 = 3, the likeliest explanation is that you had a brain injury and misremember the value of the numerals.

It’s like the Mandela Effect but instead of being the One Sane Human in a vast supernatural conspiracy, you’re just retarded.

Now, if they illustrate it with some countable objects, then you have a problem.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
when declaring bankruptcy, please first make sure the company absolutely has no money left

directors: :discourse:

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

"facts don't care about accusations that our product has asbestos in it"

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Hospitals in the United States are for-profit businesses.

That's an lol!

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

:killing:

e: content

FMguru posted:

lol someone leaked the google policy document that specifies exactly how to treat temp/contract employees as non-human

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2018/dec/11/google-tvc-full-time-employees-training-document

a sample:

more than half of googles 170000 person global workforce is contingent

e: none of this is surprising ofc, its par for the course in the valley, but its interesting to see it spelled it in such a definitive and specific way

Taintrunner has issued a correction as of 19:56 on Dec 18, 2018

Scary!
Oct 22, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
dont mind me just lolling at a world where distributing t-shirts to low level temp workers is seen as a conflict of interest but companies can get government kickbacks after donating millions of dollars to a politicians campaign

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

All aboard the Gravy train!
Hair Elf
Sorry losers, just not cool enough to work for Google

*sits alone in office ball pit*