Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
That only started getting good at Level 4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Locking yourself in a dark room for 20 days: apparently very GWM

https://www.si.com/extra-mustard/2018/12/13/thursday-hot-clicks-pro-poker-player-rich-young-rory-young-solitary-confinement-bet-result

quote:

Now, after 20 days, Rich Alati has emerged from his prison. Alati and Rich Young—the guy who proposed the challenge—reached a buyout agreement on Monday night that gave Alati $62,400. Young hedged his bet so he’ll only end up losing roughly $42,000.

“At the last food drop, he was stronger than ever,” Young told The Action Network’s Darren Rovell on Day 17, fearing he may lose the bet. “I underestimated his mindset, his resolve. I’m not disappointed I made the bet, I thought I had the better side, but he has exceeded all my expectations.”

In the end, it was a win-win. Alati got a large five-figure payout and was able to break out of his cell 10 days early, and Young got to mitigate his losses.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Motronic posted:

Can we do a #2 without completely eliminating zoning but somehow getting the NIMBY out of it?

"do japanese zoning"

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Elysium posted:

Owner/Developer buys a 1200sqft historical house in San Fran, gets planning permission to extensively remodel it. Decides instead to demolish the whole thing, so he can build a new 4000sqft house on the plot. Retroactively applies for permission to demolish.

Committee decides to make an example out of this guy, and orders him to rebuild the house exactly as it was before.

https://outline.com/aasLq6

quote:

In a unanimous 5-0 vote late Thursday night, the commission also ordered that the property owner — Ross Johnston, through his 49 Hopkins LLC — include a sidewalk plaque telling the story of the original house designed by architect Richard Neutra, the demolition and the replica.
Yesss

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Small brain - you own a house once you buy it

Medium brain - you own a house once it's paid off

Galaxy brain - you literally never own property because local, state and federal government control how you can use it

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Hey poo poo I've never seen a galaxy made entirely of stars burning methane

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

FAUXTON posted:

Hey poo poo I've never seen a galaxy made entirely of stars burning methane

Try drinking the brown tap water and you'll see that galaxy soon enough.

I was talking with a friend about the local bank sector. He didn't disagree when I said the default rates on mortgages in my region were controlled by the banks. I speculated on the scale of how many mortgage defaults might be happening and he agreed things are pretty serious. I'm not in the US so you don't have to freak out, but galaxy brain is probably correct right now.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

bob dobbs is dead posted:

"do japanese zoning"

You mean "no zoning beyond 'this developer delivered a briefcase full of cash and took me to a top-class brothel so I'm gonna sign whatever the gently caress he puts in front of me"?

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Galaxy brain - you literally never own property because local, state and federal government control how you can use it

If you don’t like the government that enforces the existence of your property rights i have a solution for you

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

That reminds me how so many emoji early on were Japanese culture-centric, especially with overly specific food items, but also with the love hotel: 🏩

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Should I Sell My Truck

quote:

I made a 21 year olds famous mistake of buying an expensive car that I can afford but shouldn't be paying. I realized that I don't need a truck this nice and am wanting to part ways with it. Its a 2018 tacoma trd off road pro with 1K miles on it. I currently owe 34,200 on my car loan and the kelly blue book price for trade in is 30,900 and the private sale value is 33,400. I have an income of around 1300 a month and I have a little more than 5000 in my savings. I am extremely blessed and get financial aid for college so I have no student loans and am finishing up my last 2 semesters of college. My only real expenses are car insurance (160 a month) and my car payment (524 a month) since I still live at home. My interest rate is 2.9% on the loan. I was wondering if i should wait a little while to sell the truck and see if it goes positive with the loan or if i should just cut my losses and sell it now and maybe take out a small loan from navy federal to pay the negative balance i have? thanks.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
what kind of idiot demolishes an entire building without permission or permits, like this isn't an example of government overreach, the guy probably could have gotten away with if he had tried to get permission first

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
how in gods name did he get a loan for that truck when his yearly income is literally half of what the truck is worth? Let alone at that interest rate and cheap insurance.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

UCS Hellmaker posted:

how in gods name did he get a loan for that truck when his yearly income is literally half of what the truck is worth? Let alone at that interest rate and cheap insurance.
What does your heart tell you?

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
:capitalism:

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

what kind of idiot demolishes an entire building without permission or permits, like this isn't an example of government overreach, the guy probably could have gotten away with if he had tried to get permission first

Better to ask for forgiveness, etc etc.

There’s a lot of regulatory bodies out there that operate on the principle of “welp the eggs are already broken, at least we’ll get a say as to the omelette’s garnish.”

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

FrozenVent posted:

Better to ask for forgiveness, etc etc.

There’s a lot of regulatory bodies out there that operate on the principle of “welp the eggs are already broken, at least we’ll get a say as to the omelette’s garnish.”

It's also costs the local authority a fortune to prosecute these type of actions. However there is a point where people can push things too far.

I've never seen anyone given more than a fine for cutting down protected trees but here we are.

quote:

An Auckland property developer who pleaded guilty to illegally damaging seven native trees is going to jail after having an appeal against his prison sentence dismissed.
https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/104044119/prison-term-for-damaging-trees-not-heavyhanded-appeal-court-rules

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
Good.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

gently caress him all the same, but this is SF we're talking about. There's no way the guy was getting permission in SF if he asked first, and even if he did, it'd have been blocked for years by his neighbors. This place is NIMBY heaven, but for everything and not just wind turbines.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

zen brain - no-one should own their own property, community-owned and shared dormitories for everyone

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
I see the mortgage industry in completely reformed. You can tell this by Angelo Mozilo speaking at conferences and being praised for his liar loan MBS.
https://www.ocregister.com/2018/12/...k&ICID=ref_fark

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
Liar loans were just fine when they were only for borrowers with grade A credit. The problem came in when we gave them to people with grade D credit.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
https://www.cnbc.com/2014/11/07/a-start-up-that-wants-to-make-atms-obsolete.html

gently caress it, we're just gonna do Uber ATM

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

therobit posted:

Liar loans were just fine when they were only for borrowers with grade A credit. The problem came in when we gave them to people with grade D credit.

*forgets to make first payment*
*sells house in a swap for an iphone*

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Weatherman posted:

You mean "no zoning beyond 'this developer delivered a briefcase full of cash and took me to a top-class brothel so I'm gonna sign whatever the gently caress he puts in front of me"?

This isn't China.

http://urbankchoze.blogspot.com/2014/04/japanese-zoning.html

This seems very interesting and also shows the importance of a unitary, national policy on these things could be beneficial.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

LOL no way this passes regulatory scrutiny. Holy poo poo. I eagerly await Fauxton's scathing commentary.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

still faster and cheaper than a bitcoin transaction

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Article date 2014. Guessing it's deaaaaaaaad.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

GoutPatrol posted:

This isn't China.

http://urbankchoze.blogspot.com/2014/04/japanese-zoning.html

This seems very interesting and also shows the importance of a unitary, national policy on these things could be beneficial.

Interesting for sure but his whole discussion is in the theoretical context of "this model allows for X and Y and Z", whereas the actual result of those models plus Japanese bureaucrats is "haphazard placement of literally everything makes for butt-loving-ugly towns with the sole exception of areas where the median income is in the top 10%".

I'm sure my neighbourhood is covered by the same national plan as Den-en-chōfu and Azabujūban are, but for some reason mine has a child's collage of structures thrown together under several dozen strands of powerlines whereas the other two look more like actual neighbourhoods.

Does this topic have enough legs to warrant its own thread? I'll start one if so

E: vvvvvvvv What?

Weatherman fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Dec 17, 2018

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Weatherman posted:

Interesting for sure but his whole discussion is in the theoretical context of "this model allows for X and Y and Z", whereas the actual result of those models plus Japanese bureaucrats is "haphazard placement of literally everything makes for butt-loving-ugly towns with the sole exception of areas where the median income is in the top 10%".

I'm sure my neighbourhood is covered by the same national plan as Den-en-chōfu and Azabujūban are, but for some reason mine has a child's collage of structures thrown together under several dozen strands of powerlines whereas the other two look more like actual neighbourhoods.

Does this topic have enough legs to warrant its own thread? I'll start one if so

buttfuck ugly, rent in any district of tokyo that's not literally roppongi comparable to buttfuck iowa

"complain about the rent in every nation tongue and creed"

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

therobit posted:

LOL no way this passes regulatory scrutiny. Holy poo poo. I eagerly await Fauxton's scathing commentary.

I got nothin'

That idea is dumb as gently caress and there are specific reporting categories that describe that poo poo word for word, like third party transactors or transactions without any business, rational, or legal purpose.

You're also going to have people rolling around with giant "MUG ME" signs on their asses. I hope the first poor gently caress that gets mugged by the person that called them sues the company for not having sufficient CIP in place and just nukes them right out of business.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
I'm just struggling to understand the context in which one would need cash delivered like that. Like, first of all, who uses/needs cash at all. And of those who do, who is in a position where they are both not prepared with cash before hand, can't just go to an ATM, and also can wait 20 minutes for cash to be delivered.

It has, it seems to me, exactly one use case, which is that you are rolling dice in the alley, and run up a tab, and can't leave until you pay up $200 cash or you get knifed.

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun
Nimbl was founded in August 2014, launched in October 2014, ended service in November 2014 promising to come back with a better "v2", and then went dark until their website fell offline in 2016.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

Elysium posted:

It has, it seems to me, exactly one use case, which is that you are rolling dice in the alley, and run up a tab, and can't leave until you pay up $200 cash or you get knifed.

Please don't doxx me.

Edit: I miss the startup that was going to deliver you rolls of quarters for all your laundry and vending needs.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

The Chairman posted:

Nimbl was founded in August 2014, launched in October 2014, ended service in November 2014 promising to come back with a better "v2", and then went dark until their website fell offline in 2016.

Thank you for pointing out the date, and I seriously wish there was an actual write-up on what happened and how much was outright fraud

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal

SpelledBackwards posted:

Please don't doxx me.

Edit: I miss the startup that was going to deliver you rolls of quarters for all your laundry and vending needs.

Aml was something they never considered lmfao

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

UCS Hellmaker posted:

He mentioned getting a loan from Navy Federal so the salesman saw Mr Military walk in and heard the Price is Right winning theme in his head.

edit: maybe a military son, he's 21 and about to finish college so he's not active duty. Maybe ROTC?

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

Weatherman posted:

E: vvvvvvvv What?

Your idea of what a neighborhood should look like is colored completely by your previous experiences and where you lived.

Why shouldn't a neighborhood be able to accommodate people with different needs, i.e. both single family homes and a Leopalace, and also have small businesses of varying types thrown in? Why isn't the ideal neighborhood a much more self-contained/self-sufficient unit rather than just a bunch of single-family homes thrown together?

I absolutely detest the American urban model, where you have a bunch of houses thrown together (very loosely), meaning you have very little choice but to drive if you want to do anything that doesn't involve your neighbors, staying inside, or mowing the yard. If you want to go out, it's impossible to find "a neighborhood restaurant" because the only option you have is some area with a dozen restaurants surrounded by parking lots.

What Japan offers is a very good (relative to whatever Hickville, Iowa's zoning board can come up with) set of guidelines that you can use as a starting point and then modify to suit your needs, whereas what America (and Canada?) offers is whatever the local zoning board, whose expertise is usually limited, can come up with.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

We will not, in our lifetimes, see the constitutional amendment necessary for a national zoning standard, but statewide ones might be possible.

Also, from what I can tell, the Japanese system isn't too jarring: it just says you can always build to less intensive uses than the area is zoned for, so no cementblock apartment towers sprouting from suburban parcels of separate single-family homes only urban ones :gritin:.

It deeply scratches my Strong Towns/A City is Not a Tree itch. The road-centric pattern of development in most American cities is extremely bwm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OneTruePecos
Oct 24, 2010

therobit posted:

IOW, liar loans were fine when they were for people who didn't need a liar loan. SISA/NINA are fraud-by-design and Mozilo should be under the jail.