Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
Final for statistical programming in R went well I think, I actually could do stuff. That should only drop me down to a 3.5 since my SQL did not go as well and I'll likely end up with B, B+, and 2 As.

One more final and then I spend the break running ANOVAs on trace circuit resistances printed on different cloth and coming up with regression curves. Apparently combining two bad things like R and statistics does not make them better, in case anyone was wondering.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lets Get Patchy
Aug 8, 2006
Semester went really well for me, but I really need to decompress. Full time work/school is a serious lesson in determining the balance between sanity and a complete life burnout. Now I'm just sitting around the house with a bunch of spare time and I have absolutely zero idea what to do with with it. I'm not sure what I used to do before I started this poo poo 3 years ago so being an idiot, I picked up some powershell books so I'll probably just do that during the break. One more semester to go.

MrDesaude
Sep 10, 2013

Have you tried lighting incense and praying to the Omnissiah?

Lets Get Patchy posted:

Semester went really well for me, but I really need to decompress. Full time work/school is a serious lesson in determining the balance between sanity and a complete life burnout. Now I'm just sitting around the house with a bunch of spare time and I have absolutely zero idea what to do with with it. I'm not sure what I used to do before I started this poo poo 3 years ago so being an idiot, I picked up some powershell books so I'll probably just do that during the break. One more semester to go.

Sanity is overrated. I have been free from school for 3 days, and I am already climbing the walls. Thankfully I still have full time work to keep me moving. the rest of the time has been spent watching my 3D printer go back and forth for hours on end as it makes cheap Christmas presents.

MrDesaude fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Dec 14, 2018

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

Had my inorganic chem final today and thoroughly enjoyed watching three premed students get caught passing papers among each other and using their phones. 0 on the final that's 50% of the grade. So many tears.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Getting an F is vastly preferable to an academic misconduct charge.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

The Aardvark posted:

Had my inorganic chem final today and thoroughly enjoyed watching three premed students get caught passing papers among each other and using their phones. 0 on the final that's 50% of the grade. So many tears.

Is inorganic different from regular chemistry?

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit

lightpole posted:

Final for statistical programming in R went well I think, I actually could do stuff. That should only drop me down to a 3.5 since my SQL did not go as well and I'll likely end up with B, B+, and 2 As.

One more final and then I spend the break running ANOVAs on trace circuit resistances printed on different cloth and coming up with regression curves. Apparently combining two bad things like R and statistics does not make them better, in case anyone was wondering.

I took a graduate course in political statistics that included a ton of R, and it practically killed me. I didn’t finish the last two papers (you had to design and report on studies based on survey datasets) until after New Years. And yes, this was a fall course.

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

Cojawfee posted:

Is inorganic different from regular chemistry?

Inorganic goes into depth on a lot of gen chem stuff like molecular orbital theory and types of bonds (sigma-sigma, pi-sigma, etc), but focuses on the behavior of transition metal complexes, bonding with d orbitals, reactions of metals, etc.

Like in gen chem you learn you can have up to a triple bond between atoms, but some complexes like chromium(II) acetate have a stable quadruple bond or even a quintuple bond like potassium octachlorodimolybdate.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Ah, no thanks. I got my 100 in gen chem and I'm done.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

The Aardvark posted:

Inorganic goes into depth on a lot of gen chem stuff like molecular orbital theory and types of bonds (sigma-sigma, pi-sigma, etc), but focuses on the behavior of transition metal complexes, bonding with d orbitals, reactions of metals, etc.

Like in gen chem you learn you can have up to a triple bond between atoms, but some complexes like chromium(II) acetate have a stable quadruple bond or even a quintuple bond like potassium octachlorodimolybdate.

gently caress every last bit of that

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
Literally could not be happier with being a big dummy with a business degree after reading that

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

GD_American posted:

Literally could not be happier with being a big dummy with a business degree after reading that

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqjv0mHpapk

I am also a big dummy with a business degree. I also enjoy dogs playing poker. It's incongruous. A dog would never bet.

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

:shrug: better than medicine which I came from

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Officially halfway done with my program. Another year-ish I can tack some fancier letters next to my name and ask for more money.

SoUncool
Oct 21, 2010
long lurker, but posting here since I just finished my first semester of GI Bill-assisted edjukayshun. Decided to go to law school. gently caress finals. I have five more semesters of this AND a bar exam? Shoulda gone to business school.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

why oh why did you decide to go to law school instead of something where you won't starve

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

EBB posted:

Officially halfway done with my program. Another year-ish I can tack some fancier letters next to my name and ask for more money.

Same fam :hfive:

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
This spring and summer I take some more field courses and physics II and then I can graduate with my BA in geology. It looks like a lot of the entry-level bachelor's degree level work for geologists is in environmental-type stuff, so I'm taking field hydrogeology. I guess this summer or fall I should try to get the OSHA HAZWOPER cert and try to find a job.
I'm really scared, I dunno how any of working world works, and when I look at indeed or whatever, it just looks to me I am in a bad spot. I don't know what to put on my resume and I feel like a fool when I think about my "employment" history -- I was a supply clerk in the Navy for 10 years, and now I am just a broke idiot old man barely passing undergraduate courses. I have two finals this week, but the die has already been cast in that fluid mechanics class, just waiting to see if I passed lol

o gods of geology i beseech thee please don't make me go to grad school

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

DownByTheWooter posted:

This spring and summer I take some more field courses and physics II and then I can graduate with my BA in geology. It looks like a lot of the entry-level bachelor's degree level work for geologists is in environmental-type stuff, so I'm taking field hydrogeology. I guess this summer or fall I should try to get the OSHA HAZWOPER cert and try to find a job.
I'm really scared, I dunno how any of working world works, and when I look at indeed or whatever, it just looks to me I am in a bad spot. I don't know what to put on my resume and I feel like a fool when I think about my "employment" history -- I was a supply clerk in the Navy for 10 years, and now I am just a broke idiot old man barely passing undergraduate courses. I have two finals this week, but the die has already been cast in that fluid mechanics class, just waiting to see if I passed lol

A geology buddy of mine did bog turtle surveys for a couple of years and then got a really nice job. I did a bunch of bridge inspections and now my MO is mostly CADD and Highway Design. In Env Eng/Civil Eng/Geology you really just need to get your foot in the door somewhere and figure out on the fly what part of the work you enjoy and then focus on it.

Just focus in your interview prep of finding people that you can work with and for and the rest will work itself out.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

DownByTheWooter posted:

:same:

Except I graduate with my Geography (GIS) BA now assuming I (very likely) pass my two finals this week. I feel worse about my prospects trying to find real civilian professional employment for the first time than I have about almost anything else. I also feel like my undergrad program was complete trash about imparting any actual GIS work skills or practical stuff and has like 90% focused on the academic concepts of the field. I'm dreading having to pick up a masters since I'm already so burnt out on school. Throw in a dash of imposter syndrome too.

Flying_Crab fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Dec 17, 2018

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Got my degree :toot:
gotta start looking for work now

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Congratulations!

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

DoktorLoken posted:

:same:

Except I graduate with my Geography (GIS) BA now assuming I (very likely) pass my two finals this week. I feel worse about my prospects trying to find real civilian professional employment for the first time than I have about almost anything else. I also feel like my undergrad program was complete trash about imparting any actual GIS work skills or practical stuff and has like 90% focused on the academic concepts of the field. I'm dreading having to pick up a masters since I'm already so burnt out on school. Throw in a dash of imposter syndrome too.
Getting my GIS job was not fun. We were required to have an internship to graduate. The first summer I tried to get one I started too late in the spring and only got one in person interview. I'm pretty sure that a bunch of my applications got tossed because I'm still in the guard and they didn't want to deal with that. So spring semester of 2017 the only other things I needed was one more class worth of credits, and the internship. I got a year long internship that turned into a fulltime job, and did the class as an independent study. But yeah, the market sucks to break into.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Yeah, I did an internship with an electric utility this summer/fall. They have an opening for a similar position to what I was doing so hopefully I'll hear back from that after the holidays.

I would've graduated last spring except for the required internship and one final GIS course that wasn't offered until this fall.

MrDesaude
Sep 10, 2013

I have to do a bunch of required internship stuff as well, but I am going to put that off until the end.
I went looking around this last semester, and everyone wants me to work first shift when I am in class.

It's a shame this program is wait listed a year, the places I interviewed with wanted to throw good money at me for only having a year in and the IPC Space certificate.
Then again, if they are offering that now, I wonder what they will offer me at the end of the degree.
As odd as it sounds, I am looking forward to welding with gold wire half a hair wide.

This is one of the big components I work with, under 50x zoom, a 1206 resistor.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
That is not a 1206 pad though.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

MrDesaude posted:

I have to do a bunch of required internship stuff as well, but I am going to put that off until the end.
I went looking around this last semester, and everyone wants me to work first shift when I am in class.

It's a shame this program is wait listed a year, the places I interviewed with wanted to throw good money at me for only having a year in and the IPC Space certificate.
Then again, if they are offering that now, I wonder what they will offer me at the end of the degree.
As odd as it sounds, I am looking forward to welding with gold wire half a hair wide.

This is one of the big components I work with, under 50x zoom, a 1206 resistor.

1206 is huge, in the past I've soldered down to 0402, but definitely wouldn't go any further down to 0201 or 01005

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

DoktorLoken posted:

Yeah, I did an internship with an electric utility this summer/fall. They have an opening for a similar position to what I was doing so hopefully I'll hear back from that after the holidays.

I would've graduated last spring except for the required internship and one final GIS course that wasn't offered until this fall.
I turned in applications for a few utility companies and didn't get any traction other than a phone interview. I ultimately ended up in a GIS marketing analysis position which really was for the best.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Is the school the one who notifies your student loan provider when you're no longer in classes? I have a small subsidized loan through edfinancial, and I dont see anywhere on their site to tell them I'm done with classes.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Don't worry, they'll be in touch.

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

And with the submission of a math technical paper, my second-to-last semester ends. :toot:

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Vasudus posted:

Don't worry, they'll be in touch.

I laughed.

Yeah, you'll get a very polite packet in the mail.

I'm trying to do the opposite and defer payment while I'm in grad school, and apparently they won't even start the process until after drop/add in late January.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

GD_American posted:

I laughed.

Yeah, you'll get a very polite packet in the mail.

I'm trying to do the opposite and defer payment while I'm in grad school, and apparently they won't even start the process until after drop/add in late January.

"Sure is a nice credit score you got there. Be a shame if something...happened to it."

MrDesaude
Sep 10, 2013

M_Gargantua posted:

That is not a 1206 pad though.

We are at the mercy of whatever boards the professor makes, and whatever (expired) components our partner companies send us.
It keeps the lab fees down, and we get to do fun poo poo right off the rip.
That said, the community college I go to is like the Harvard of community colleges. We were one of the first Fab Labs in the country, and there's all manner of cool poo poo going on on campus. The Microelectromechanical Systems program just got the go ahead to be the first bachelors degree exclusively from a community college in the state. Things are still being tweaked and perfected, but unlike Kent State, we are in the clean room day 1, instead of having to be in a graduate program. We kicked the Nursing program out of the top funding spot, and that means TONS of new equipment coming in.

My main question right now is do I want to aim for Aerospace, or Biomed.

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

1206 is huge, in the past I've soldered down to 0402, but definitely wouldn't go any further down to 0201 or 01005

We had to do 0201's in the intro class just to appreciate how small they really are. Being the show off I am, I did them by hand instead of running them through the reflow oven. I HELD an 01005 in my tweezers once. I want nothing to do with them. I would rather thread the wire bonding machines every day than deal with another 01005.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
From what I'm seeing, I would go Bmed and pick up as much sensor knowledge as you can. In that situation you're going to have to move off PCBs and onto substrates that are just being created/refined now with printed components that are in their infancy.

Over the summer one of the guys in the thesis program printed circuits onto TPU substrate and tossed it on cloth then stretched it cyclically. My capstone is to assist in analyzing the data, the cyclical resistance change of different width circuits on different fabrics.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
MEMS are cool and getting cooler.

My MEMS wishlist right now is a 0-200kpa 12bit pressure sensor that has programmable I2C address or actual implementation of I3C dynamic addressing. Manufacturers are for some reason at the point where they're now including I3C bus compatibility but lol you're still getting the one fixed address. Its infuriating.

MrDesaude
Sep 10, 2013

lightpole posted:

From what I'm seeing, I would go Bmed and pick up as much sensor knowledge as you can. In that situation you're going to have to move off PCBs and onto substrates that are just being created/refined now with printed components that are in their infancy.

Over the summer one of the guys in the thesis program printed circuits onto TPU substrate and tossed it on cloth then stretched it cyclically. My capstone is to assist in analyzing the data, the cyclical resistance change of different width circuits on different fabrics.

That is amazing. I would love to see the write up.

M_Gargantua posted:

MEMS are cool and getting cooler.

My MEMS wishlist right now is a 0-200kpa 12bit pressure sensor that has programmable I2C address or actual implementation of I3C dynamic addressing. Manufacturers are for some reason at the point where they're now including I3C bus compatibility but lol you're still getting the one fixed address. Its infuriating.

I am not that deep yet. Could it be something that can be corrected via firmware? I used to program veriphone credit card machines that had the smart chip readers, but didn't have them enabled because it wasn't CPNI mandated at that point and wasn't industry standard in the US.
Maybe they are tweaking the implementation? I mean, when you buy those things you never just buy one...

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Jesus, I had no idea this was a thing.

https://studentaid.ed.gov/sa/repay-loans/forgiveness-cancellation/public-service

Co-worker of mine that's also a vet told me about this. He's on an income-based repayment plan for his student loans, so he pays 11 bucks a month. (He has kids and his wife doesn't work.) If he makes this payment 10 years straight while working as a federal employee, they wipe his balance.

I'd never get the 11 dollar deal (no kids, my wife makes about what I make) but the idea of wiping the balance at the end of a decade sure is nice.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013
Why on earth do you have student loan debt as a GWOT veteran?..did you use up all your GI bill and Voc Rehab eligibility’s?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

School prior to the military, living in a higher COL area.