Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

SocketWrench posted:

I was hoping to get the LeFH too so I could engage in being the shittiest shitter for kicks. Sadly WG did not agree with my vision

I got the Lefh and I feel like a complete dickhead playing in it because loving hell its broken as gently caress. I outbrawled the tier 6 IKV who thought he could come round a corner and kill me. gently caress you friend I have a 7 second reload.

Also I'm 100% in love with the Batchat 25t and i want to hug and kiss it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

I put Santa and the Jingle Belles in my FV215b 183 so they can deliver presents all year round.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

How can one encourage teammates to victory without FF?

Also, I dropped $200 for 150 boxes and got the Defender like 3 teams, Skorpion G twice, and a bunch of tier 5 premiums all the time. I already have the IS3-A but I didn't get it a single time so the % drop chance on it might be pretty low?

Ughghhg I missed the polish T8 being on sale again.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

BadLlama posted:

How can one encourage teammates to victory without FF?

Also, I dropped $200 for 150 boxes and got the Defender like 3 teams, Skorpion G twice, and a bunch of tier 5 premiums all the time. I already have the IS3-A but I didn't get it a single time so the % drop chance on it might be pretty low?

Ughghhg I missed the polish T8 being on sale again.

I watched our friendly FV-183 turn around and hesh our 1390 who was camping on the little hill thing on the south on Lakeville yesterday and it was truly beautiful.

Similarly I got shot up the rear end by a friendly JgPzr E100 who didn't understand the spotting mechanic and thought I was camping on Murovanka when I was actually trying to spot the hill which our team had lost decisively for the 5 TD's who'd yet to move from spawn. So win some lose some.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I haven't played my Pershing in literally years but apparently I never forgot how because I chalked up two wins with 3 kills in each.

2Jets
Apr 25, 2010

You're gonna get no tip

Katamari Democracy posted:

90% of my games had me near the bottom tier sided with my IS3-A and Scorp G comrads in arms. My main issues continue to be map knowledge and sticking my neck too far out. I'm usually the type of heavy to follow other heavy tanks to try and be behind cover or become the cover but I have yet to learn the sweet spots to dance in when I am in combat.

Don't waste a bunch of time looking up weakspots.

If you just shoot at the lower front plate and cupolas its going to be a weak spot on most tanks. Obviously if you can shoot the sides or rear flat on that's better. On Japanese tanks aim for mini turrets on the tier 7 and 8. The german tanks and type 4 and type 5 can be shot through the turret cheeks with gold ammo.

In the game settings set your aim piper to the one that changes color based on your chance to penetrate the armor you're aiming at. It accounts for the angle and is pretty reliable.

As for where to go, that's the skill part of the game. You can either follow your team, or look up a map guide to learn where you're 'suppose' to go. Or watch some good players and try to figure out what they are doing. The more you study how to move and why to move and where the better you will get.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

When did they change the aim thing to account for armor angle? Out of habit from when the game was released I never pay attention to it.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?
How the gently caress do you get to tier 10 in a tank destroyer without understanding the existence of the spotting mechanic?

Like, not even all the intricacies, just the concept that tanks spot for other tanks?

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Redeye Flight posted:

How the gently caress do you get to tier 10 in a tank destroyer without understanding the existence of the spotting mechanic?

Like, not even all the intricacies, just the concept that tanks spot for other tanks?

:10bux:

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

serious gaylord posted:

I watched our friendly FV-183 turn around and hesh our 1390 who was camping on the little hill thing on the south on Lakeville yesterday and it was truly beautiful.

Similarly I got shot up the rear end by a friendly JgPzr E100 who didn't understand the spotting mechanic and thought I was camping on Murovanka when I was actually trying to spot the hill which our team had lost decisively for the 5 TD's who'd yet to move from spawn. So win some lose some.

Heh, I've had a guy that knocked me off the hill on prok, then backed down as it was overrun and shot me in the rear end for being a moron. Buddy, you shoved me off the hill. I'm only angry the match ended before I could kill him

Redeye Flight posted:

The same way all the other t10 window lickers got there.

SocketWrench fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Dec 17, 2018

2Jets
Apr 25, 2010

You're gonna get no tip

BadLlama posted:

When did they change the aim thing to account for armor angle? Out of habit from when the game was released I never pay attention to it.

Yep here are the patch notes from 9.19.1

I dont know how you could have missed that. :spergin:

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Redeye Flight posted:

There is actually zero skill required to reach tier 10.

Fat Jesus
Jul 13, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2023

sad if they remove FF cause many moons ago Jingles used to play his NA account and I shot him in the arse with a SU-152 and he died, everyone was like wow its Jingles and he's all hai guise then boom, bambi dead.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Cardiac posted:

There is actually zero skill required to reach tier 10.

Beat your head against a mountain for an eternity and you'll crumble it to stone.

...or give yourself brain damage and spend the rest of your drooling days not caring that you failed, which honestly tracks for most of the people playing WoT.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Fat Jesus posted:

sad if they remove FF cause many moons ago Jingles used to play his NA account and I shot him in the arse with a SU-152 and he died, everyone was like wow its Jingles and he's all hai guise then boom, bambi dead.

Likely got the same reaction as Bambi's mom dying

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

serious gaylord posted:

I got the Lefh and I feel like a complete dickhead playing in it because loving hell its broken as gently caress. I outbrawled the tier 6 IKV who thought he could come round a corner and kill me. gently caress you friend I have a 7 second reload.

Also I'm 100% in love with the Batchat 25t and i want to hug and kiss it.

I have it too and don't even plan on playing it. It's worthless for arty missions and I don't care at all about training French arty crew.

Russian bias is hilarious. Unlocked the Obj 430 and it's basically already elite, minus like another engine with 40hp and tracks. First game was some 5k combined on Cliff. Gun is a little derpy but that can be forgiven seeing as how it's basically a T10 tank at T9. Never change WG

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Barry posted:

I have it too and don't even plan on playing it. It's worthless for arty missions and I don't care at all about training French arty crew.

Russian bias is hilarious. Unlocked the Obj 430 and it's basically already elite, minus like another engine with 40hp and tracks. First game was some 5k combined on Cliff. Gun is a little derpy but that can be forgiven seeing as how it's basically a T10 tank at T9. Never change WG

My dude wait till you get the 430U and you can outbrawl Tier 10 heavies.

Also the new wheeled tanks look derpy as hell but probably fun???

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywVcesicSaE

The gun handling on this thing is insane.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

serious gaylord posted:

My dude wait till you get the 430U and you can outbrawl Tier 10 heavies.

Also the new wheeled tanks look derpy as hell but probably fun???

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywVcesicSaE

The gun handling on this thing is insane.

I am going to own this tank.

2Jets
Apr 25, 2010

You're gonna get no tip
I bought a E 100 lastnight. I just want to have it incase WG isn't full of :clegg: maybe it will get a derp gun.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
So going by that video, the wheeled tanks can't be 'tracked' even with a pretty significant drop, take no damage from said drops, and still are able to maintain 30kph with a damaged wheel, which gets repaired *while the tank is on the move*. And, of course, since that's going to be a T8 premium, even if they change the other wheeled tanks, if that one goes live with all of these :wtc: things, they'll remain on the tank forever, or WG will have to refund people.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Uh, so I have played a whole bunch of matches in the current christmas mode and had my sick excel for crushing and rerolling decorations for max holiday bonuses (from last year) all set up, and finally pulled the trigger on the 75 box package. I didn't give a poo poo about the IS-3A, since my only goal was the same decent gold-equivalent value from last year that lasted me through half the year. Since I didn't care about the Type 59 last year (to be fair, I would have wanted to have had a Type 59 when it was first sold, just so I could have a sick five-skill Chinese medium crew, but with power creep and all, I didn't give a poo poo), I was pretty much in the same situation as I was in 12 months ago.

So I was planning on dumping a screenshot of my dumb excel in here once I was done with my 75 boxes just to show whether the gold value was still the same and the boxes are still worth it, or whether Wargaming decided to gently caress with what worked fine last year.
I work for one of the largest automobile manufacturers on the planet, so obviously, my Excel skills are top loving notch:

Let's get this poo poo done! On to the first box:

Are you loving kidding me?

/edit:
Alright, whatever, gonna keep popping boxes and updating this dumb post with the hauls I deem sortakinda worthwhile.

7 days of premium on the third box.

/edit:
Another 7 days of premium in the eighth box. I watched a couple of community contributors opening their 200 boxes, and was kinda assuming their probabilities may have been augmented to make this dumb event seem more lucrative than it is, but this is looking good already

/edit:

Grille 15 skin on box 10, looks kinda weird, but I'm on 90k XP in the WT auf PzIV, so I#ll take it.

I'm also no longer allowed to legally operate heavy machinery or motor vehicles, so I'll probably just leave y'all with summaries from my haul so as to not give this post a 56k warning

/edit:
20 boxes in, this seems much more like what I was expecting to hit. Minimum gold-value and some premium days.
To be fair, I was expecting a ton of the lower-tier reward premiums, or their equivalent value

/edit:

lol, Defender, dope

/edit:
Ah, gently caress, I was hoping to get the gold-payout since I had it already, but I forgot the same thing might happen like last year, where I already had a T26E5, but got another Patriot

/edit:
Got the dope IS-7 skin, don't have the IS-7. Cool, I guess?

/edit:
Got my first low-tier, a Turan PT, so 1700 gold equivalent.

/edit:
LeFh and some dope T57 camo

/edit:; 30 boxes opened, and 12 k straight gold and like 42 days of premium. I'm either lucky, or Wargaming adjusted the drops a bit upward this year

/edit:
M4 Improved. This tank was poo poo iirc?

/edit: Two M4s in a row, I'll take that gold, yes I will

/edit:
Batchat 25t camo, yet another skin for a tank I don't have that looks kinda cool-ish

/edit:
Got the Simon Claws, 0-skill BIA dude, I guess?

/edit:
Some more premium time and a KV-220 that I didn't have.

/edit:
Third M4 improved and second KV-220

/edit:
two more KV-220s (so 3,000 gold) and ten boxes to go

/edit:
Another M4 Improved and Turan PT (so 3450 gold), 4 boxes to go

/edit:
RIP boxes

So it looks like 4.5 million credits, 26.780 straight-gold, 11.650 extra gold for tanks I already had, an M4 Improved, Turan PT, KV-220, IS-3A and three cool skins (two of which I'll probably not unlock), and 114 days of premium time.
I'm pretty drat tipsy, so I can't tell if this is better than last year, but it seems like a pretty good haul in gold-equivalent value. I'm okay with this

Duzzy Funlop fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Dec 18, 2018

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN
nice, congrats.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Gone Fashing posted:

nice, congrats.

I didn't even want one of those fuckers and was hoping to end up with a "you'll get a decent discount-gold-value from the boxes, but for the love of god, don't gamble for pixel tanks because you won't get one"-post, but here we are. gently caress it, I'll just livepost and update my post with the poo poo I'm getting.

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN
do it, i got a defender from my 75. according to some post i saw on reddit you have a greater than 50% chance to get at least one of the tier 8s in 75 boxes so doesnt seem like too bad of a deal with the gold that you also get

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

So going by that video, the wheeled tanks can't be 'tracked' even with a pretty significant drop, take no damage from said drops, and still are able to maintain 30kph with a damaged wheel, which gets repaired *while the tank is on the move*. And, of course, since that's going to be a T8 premium, even if they change the other wheeled tanks, if that one goes live with all of these :wtc: things, they'll remain on the tank forever, or WG will have to refund people.

Reminder that you are seeing the tank played by a fantastic player against morons who have never seen it before. It wont be clowning on everything in the game and if you sneeze it its direction you'll kill it.

It will however make Mines and Abbey even worse.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Gone Fashing posted:

do it, i got a defender from my 75. according to some post i saw on reddit you have a greater than 50% chance to get at least one of the tier 8s in 75 boxes so doesn't seem like too bad of a deal with the gold that you also get

If you're buying 75 boxes to get a IS-3A or Defender, don't bother, but if you're buying it for gold it's probably the best deal you're going to get all year. I got something like 30k gold and 10 million credits, which is a much better deal than any of the other gold packages offered in the store.

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Guess what! :love:
Guess what this is? :love:
A Post, Just for you! :love:
Wedge Regret
I was debating on buying the Patriot but I think I already have enough T8 premiums and I kinda like the T34 in comparison. But maybe I am wrong. When I saw that wheeled tank being played and if it is coming out on the 24th I might as well hold off until it comes out to pick it up.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Katamari Democracy posted:

I was debating on buying the Patriot but I think I already have enough T8 premiums and I kinda like the T34 in comparison. But maybe I am wrong. When I saw that wheeled tank being played and if it is coming out on the 24th I might as well hold off until it comes out to pick it up.

The patriot is better in every way and is one of the most broken tanks in the game.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
Please stop giving Wargaming money.

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN

McGavin posted:

If you're buying 75 boxes to get a IS-3A or Defender, don't bother, but if you're buying it for gold it's probably the best deal you're going to get all year. I got something like 30k gold and 10 million credits, which is a much better deal than any of the other gold packages offered in the store.

yeah im pretty happy with the ~40k gold i got, the 3 tier 5 premiums and the defender were just icing. oh, and the 4 female crew members plus the simon claws one that has 0 skill bia and sixth sense. not a bad deal.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hellsau posted:

Counterpoint: Give Wargaming money if you're okay with good value-for-money deals in what you're treating as a subscription-based game.

Never, loving ever, give Wargaming money to gamble on internet pixel tanks you probably won't get statistically

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Don't give Wargaming money. Don't gamble on internet garbo. However, if you're going to give Wargaming money and you're going to gamble on interent garbage, might as well buy loot boxes since it provides the best cash-to-gold ratio even if you flunk out on bonuses.

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Guess what! :love:
Guess what this is? :love:
A Post, Just for you! :love:
Wedge Regret

Hellsau posted:

With Gold. I got stupid lucky with my loot boxes so I can splurge a bit.

2Jets
Apr 25, 2010

You're gonna get no tip
I love the paytriot but its got one problem. High tier US heavy tanks are weak. You can train a good crew for the T29 though.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

serious gaylord posted:

The patriot is better in every way and is one of the most broken tanks in the game.

Eh, it's not that broken anymore.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

A reminder that it doesn’t cost anything for WG to give away their in game currencies that are worthless outside the game.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Cardiac posted:

A reminder that it doesn’t cost anything for WG to give away their in game currencies that are worthless outside the game.

But it does cost them to make the game and all that other stuff ya know...

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

:kiss:

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Stanley Pain posted:

But it does cost them to make the game and all that other stuff ya know...

you're right it does cost them to make more tanks to sell people

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Hellsau posted:

you're right it does cost them to make more tanks to sell people

God forbid they spend money on balancing tanks and maps when they can make up more premium tanks to sell.