Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

France also has the benefit of only being marginally turbo-hosed by joining the Euro.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

MiddleOne posted:

France also has the benefit of only being marginally turbo-hosed by joining the Euro.

Well Britain didn't join the euro at all, so the main difference really is lovely racist newspapers and decades of political discourse that boiled down to "austerity + gently caress immigrants". A really good example of why pandering to the racists will blow up in your face eventually.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Kassad posted:

Well Britain didn't join the euro at all, so the main difference really is lovely racist newspapers and decades of political discourse that boiled down to "austerity + gently caress immigrants". A really good example of why pandering to the racists will blow up in your face eventually.

I meant in comparison to the rest of the Eurozone. The UK was one of the definitive winners of the introduction of the Euro and are irrational about it in the way only the dying remnant of an empire could be.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Kind of scary that immigrants is that high on the list. I'm privileged enough to be considered one of the good ones, but it's a real issue and one that makes me wary of them. That said practically all factions of French politics are anti-immigrant to some degree so yeah.

tino
Jun 4, 2018

by Smythe

Kassad posted:

If by "your face" you meant "newspaper's face" then I don't think they lost that much. The Sun is the original Facebook.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
I was thinking about political parties like Labour. At least the wing that tried pandering to the racists and predictably failed.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Kassad posted:

I was thinking about political parties like Labour. At least the wing that tried pandering to the racists and predictably failed.

Don't worry, they're still lurking in the background waiting for an opportunity to try again.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

MiddleOne posted:

Don't worry, they're still lurking in the background waiting for an opportunity to try again.

I'm sorry, in what way is Corbyn's wing not trying to pander to racist by treating immigration as a problem?

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I'm sorry, in what way is Corbyn's wing not trying to pander to racist by treating immigration as a problem?

When has union-side left wing Britain ever not been in favor of regulating work immigration? I meant in contrast to the staunch 'no brown people please, not for any reason' side of the argument represented by nationalists and back-peddaling centrist politicians.

Postorder Trollet89
Jan 12, 2008
Sweden doesn't do religion. But if they did, it would probably be the best religion in the world.
Most Social Democrats are skeptical of open border style liberal bullshit for labour market reasons, it has nothing to do with race.

Blair was a Tory with a red pin though.

How's the far left on this issue in France? Afaik PS is basically dead.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

It's also a political qualm that predates alt-right populism, so yeah.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
Hey remember that rear end in a top hat?

https://twitter.com/le_Parisien/status/1074360952122982400?s=19

https://twitter.com/le_Parisien/status/1074361857656455168?s=19

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Postorder Trollet89 posted:

How's the far left on this issue in France?

Still getting single digits at every election because they're mostly out of touch ?

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

There has been no far left in France since the 70’s at best

Mélenchon is pretty centrist, there’s some marxism in the NPA, LO is kinda left-wing, but there’s no party with a totally marxist platform in this day and age

It’s a shame, too, because it’d work really well when you look at the proletariat’s working conditions

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

Absurd Alhazred posted:

When Blairites said they were for 'Controlling Migration' they meant it as a racist dogwistle. When Corbyn says he's for 'Controlling Migration' he means it as an earnest effort to protect British workers from globalization. Simple.

Flowers For Algeria posted:

There has been no far left in France since the 70’s at best

Mélenchon is pretty centrist, there’s some marxism in the NPA, LO is kinda left-wing, but there’s no party with a totally marxist platform in this day and age

It’s a shame, too, because it’d work really well when you look at the proletariat’s working conditions

By that standard there's been no far left anywhere for the past 30 years. There are no orthodox Marxist-Leninists in mainstream French politics for the same reason there aren't any constitutional monarchists, the country has changed and political culture has moved on.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/publicsenat/status/1074563923506950144

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

Nous avons une définition différente de l’intelligence imo

Llyd
Oct 9, 2012
Ah yes, the classic: we haven't explained it well enough, and even if we did, you cunts are too stupid to understand it anyhow.

Ca va aider leur image de connards arrogants c'est certain.

e: Even more funny when the only reason the gilets jaunes exist in the first place is because Macron et al have been so blatantly greedy and contemptuous.

Llyd fucked around with this message at 12:50 on Dec 17, 2018

Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

ここは地の果て 流されて俺
今日もさすらい 涙も涸れる
ブルーゲイル
Le retour de la pensée complexe.

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

"We're not laughing with you, we're laughing at you"

Fallen Hamprince posted:

When Blairites said they were for 'Controlling Migration' they meant it as a racist dogwistle. When Corbyn says he's for 'Controlling Migration' he means it as an earnest effort to protect British workers from globalization. Simple.

By that standard there's been no far left anywhere for the past 30 years. There are no orthodox Marxist-Leninists in mainstream French politics for the same reason there aren't any constitutional monarchists, the country has changed and political culture has moved on.

Crying_Portuguese_communist_party_flag.jpg

So this thing is spreading, there's a yellow jackets movement in portugal with a protest scheduled for the 21st.(its mostly right wing shitheads)

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
"Trop subtile, trop technique dans les mesures de pouvoir d'achat"
English translation for any reader who can't read French: "we've been too good at cheating with statistics to make things look better than they're actually like".

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
The actual English translation, because it's so loving dickish it needs to be read: A second error was made: we've probably been too intelligent, too subtle, too technical when it comes to measures regarding purchasing power.

Like, gently caress off, you giant piece of poo poo. You are not so intelligent that people didn't realize you were playing 4D chess.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

"We aren't just the smartest but also the most humble and the reason half the population France think they are living in the most arrogant country in Europe" said the technocrat before starting to fellate himself live on national television.

Toplowtech fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Dec 17, 2018

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Fallen Hamprince posted:

very dumb

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

Antifa Poltergeist posted:

So this thing is spreading, there's a yellow jackets movement in portugal with a protest scheduled for the 21st.(its mostly right wing shitheads)

There was one here in Canada, they seem really into QAnon for some reason.

Cool movement.

clusterfuck
Feb 6, 2004

I've been seeing this in Australia - is this an accurate reflection of the movement?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Yeah, that sounds like a lot of bullshit, especially where it gets into 'globalist methodology' and also 'frexit'.

clusterfuck
Feb 6, 2004

Yeah frexit made me stop and wonder what the gently caress this was.

e: anyway thanks, I was reading some people really buying into this meme as "the official french charter" and wanted to check in here...

clusterfuck fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Dec 18, 2018

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

"Remove all ideology from the Ministry of Education" I love when people have opinions on poo poo they don't understand.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

clusterfuck posted:

I've been seeing this in Australia - is this an accurate reflection of the movement?

Translated by "Deep State Mapping Project". :thunk: Well at least i will give it to them it's an accurate translation of the bullshit original in French. Of course, the original was vomited by a non representative far right idiots trying to bullshit smooth brained facebook readers.
e: VVVVV yes i forgot by a group of "«abstentionnistes».

Toplowtech fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Dec 18, 2018

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

Libération has a brief story on the original if you can read French. As others have said, it’s an accurate translation of a Facebook post that isn’t representative of the bulk of the gilets jaune, although there’s an fringe element that would agree with it.

Fallen Hamprince fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Dec 18, 2018

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Look at all those meaningless unverifiable numbers :supaburn:

https://twitter.com/Dugat76/status/1074999345089576960

quote:

«Nous vivons un moment de cristallisation dans la vie politique, où un certain nombre de nos concitoyens nous disent: “continuez à réformer le pays”.»

quote:

À noter également que contrairement à la majorité des autres partis, les adhésions à LaREM sont gratuites et peuvent êtres réalisées grâce à un simple clic sur le site internet du mouvement.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Been behind on what the liberal smears on Corbyn have been lately, ty for the update.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

clusterfuck posted:

Someone in a local Facebook group posted that and I yelled at him about how stupid it was until he took it down.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

It's good to know that even after those horrible horrible journos ruined your bodyguard career there is always Françafrique.

Le Monde posted:

Voyage au Tchad : Alexandre Benalla s’est reconverti dans la diplomatie privée en Afrique

Il opère désormais dans « le consulting », entre intermédiaires louches et autocrates africains, quitte à agacer son ancien employeur.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
I wonder where Benalla is going to pop up next.

Edit: loving LMAO how far does this rabbit hole go

https://twitter.com/Mediapart/status/1078277316193726464

Also Mediapart having Benalla's face as their Twitter banner is :discourse:

Kassad fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Dec 27, 2018

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Private diplomacy, is this codeword for arms deals

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Kurtofan posted:

Hey now. They might be selling surveillance technology too.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
Hi French goons, I didn't advertise this before because y'all were having troubles but if you are interested in participating, there are stickied threads in both D&D and CSPAM for a blood/charity drive, and you have until December 31st, 11:59 American Central time to participate if you are so inclined/able. Cheers!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Kurtofan posted:

If we're talking about African countries, none of them can buy weapons without going through the Coface.