Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

If nothing else, at some point there will probably be new and different cats, who will have possibly different tastes. I really like seeing new kitten play with toys that the last cat I lost loved. Maybe that's weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

So far the litter robot has been a total bust. Cat attract litter, the cat attract powder, and putting her old litter box next to it and she's never gone in. We let her old litter box get a bit dirty hoping it would make it more attractive but she just went and peed on one of her cat beds.

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
My girlfriend brought home some long grass (like real long, half a meter) and Artichoke absolutely flips his poo poo chasing it around. It’s like a combo of grass that he loves to eat and also a string. He makes these insane grunts as he chases it around trying to bite it.

floofyscorp
Feb 12, 2007

Dear cat thread: Cinnamon is having pee trouble again(I managed to catch her in the act of peeing on my pillow, sigh) and I think it's probably crystals again. We have a vet appointment booked next week and in the meantime she's banned from the bedroom and I feel extremely bad because she's repeatedly going into a litterbox, squeezing out a tiny puddle, then dashing out again because it hurts. I don't think she's peed in any other inappropriate spots(besides on a towel on my husband's office chair; easily tossed into the washing machine) but the bed, especially my side of the bed, seems to be a pee magnet for her.

I think this is partly my fault because last time this happened, the vet told me to buy her this special crystal management kibble and to feed her only that forever. I did that for a few months and it was fine; I have to buy it online though and the website I use ran out of the formulation we were using('light' because she has a tendency to get fat) and I had to buy a slightly different version which she absolutely would not tolerate. She'd eat it like normal but then puke it up within half an hour of feeding time, for several days solid. So I decided to put her back on the hypoallergenic chunks-in-gravy food that her brother eats(and she adores to the point that she used to shove him out of the way to eat his portion) while I tried to find a source for the light crystal kibble again. And I did find some, but decided to only feed her the kibble for breakfast and let her have wet food in the evening because she loves the wet food so much. This seems to have cancelled out the crystal-suppressing qualities of the kibble, unfortunately, and now she's sore and trying to pee on my bed and I feel like a bad cat parent :(

I'm hoping the vet will prescribe her some painkillers to get her through this bout of crystals as that worked well the first time, but I'm also wondering how to keep her better hydrated since all she's eating is dry kibble. We have a water fountain which she likes well enough, but I'm also wondering - can I make gravy to put on her food? I know gravy you can buy in a regular shop is typically far too salty for a cat but the pet shop doesn't seem to sell straight-up cat gravy to add to dry food and most of the 'recipes' I can find online are just people pureeing their cat's regular wet food to make it into more of a soupy consistency. I just want something I can pour over her kibble to get a bit more water into her and give her the gravy-licking experience that she seems to like so much. Am I overthinking this? (I realise that asking this question probably means that I am, in fact, overthinking this)

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
I have mixed a bit of water into dry kibble for both cats and dogs forever.

My new cats are getting wet food, but adding water to dry food would certainly help with water intake.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
There is crystal-suppressing wet food as well. Vets are going to be pricey for it but Chewy or something might have it for much less.

My piss cat got Hills c/d wet chicken flavour. It doesn’t look or smell that great to me but he licks the plate clean.

Then I switch in a can of regular wet food in the evenings and give them some nice dry at both feedings.

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
Do the Crystals cats have flowing water fountains instead of dishes of water? My cat has one and loves it, might help if you don't have one already.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

I have a cat that keeps barfing.

I know, don't we all, right? But this is a bit different.

-The cat is a 16-year-old female
-A recent trip to the vet revealed she's starting to have renal failure, but the vet made it sound like it was in its very early stages
-She'll eat wet or dry food but LOOOOVES wet food
-Her previous owner had her exclusively outdoors, but since she's been with us this summer, she is 100% an indoor cat
-She barely grooms herself at this age so a hairball is unlikely

About a week or so ago I noticed that she was starting to vomit her dry food (prescription kidney diet). She'd been eating it without any issue for months and the vomit itself was relatively small. It was like the last bit of food she ate would come back up just as it began digesting. After a few times of this she started shunning the dry food altogether and was demanding wet food (again, prescription kidney diet) which I try to give only as a once-a-day treat, on account of it being more expensive/messy to clean up).

I thought maybe the dry food she was barfing up was old and stale (I have another cat that's been in renal failure for years and this particular batch of food was from an older container). So I swapped it with fresh dry food. But she still barely would eat it and then after a few days I saw another lil' dry cat food barf.

So yesterday because I wanted her to keep eating, I gave her extra wet food, which she scarfed down no problem. I wake up this morning and find... another tiny barf, this time more formless as I suspect it was from the wet food.

A trip to the vet is probably in order, but I wanted to check here first to see if these specific symptoms jump out at anyone. The thing that stands out the most to me is how small these vomits are compared to what I'm used to seeing from a cat, maybe a little larger than a quarter in size. The vomit itself looks like a normal cat barf, with no bright yellow bile or signs of a hairball, and it's not particularly watery. Just brown and some undigested cat food mixed in.

floofyscorp
Feb 12, 2007

She does have a water fountain that she likes, but she doesn't seem to have been using it as often lately. I'll try refreshing the water in it, maybe it's gone a bit stale. I did put some water in her dinner kibble tonight and she lapped it all up quite happily and cleaned the bowl, so that seems like a good solution to get more water through her too. Thanks goons!

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
Two blankets on top of the radiator = happy warm cat. This is Tater.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Ballz posted:

I have a cat that keeps barfing.

I know, don't we all, right? But this is a bit different.

-The cat is a 16-year-old female
-A recent trip to the vet revealed she's starting to have renal failure, but the vet made it sound like it was in its very early stages
-She'll eat wet or dry food but LOOOOVES wet food
-Her previous owner had her exclusively outdoors, but since she's been with us this summer, she is 100% an indoor cat
-She barely grooms herself at this age so a hairball is unlikely

My barely grooms himself cat has also never puked or had a hairball until one day it was a vomit / squirts explosion everywhere and he horked up the hugest hairball I've ever seen. Still, a vet trip wont hurt her. just your wallet.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

The stern look of judgement my cat gives me when I spend more time writing tedious posts in PI about how great a cat she is instead of just paying attention to her:

Yep, Jackie's a big girl with an attitude

Side note: Some of you might think she is doing this for warmth, but I assure you, she is not. Not only does she know full well she is not allowed to *sit on the laptop*, there is a cat bed adjacent to the electric heating element AND a cozy wicker basket of comfy laundry nearby in this room.. Plus, that :catstare: means business.

kaworu fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Dec 17, 2018

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

kaworu posted:

The stern look of judgement my cat gives me when I spend more time writing tedious posts in PI about how great a cat she is instead of just paying attention to her:

Yep, Jackie's a big girl with an attitude

Side note: Some of you might think she is doing this for warmth, but I assure she is not. Not only does she know full well she is not allowed to *sit on the laptop*, there is a cat bed adjacent to the electric heating element AND a cozy wicker basket of comfy laundry nearby in this room.. Plus, that :catstare: means business.

rear end in a top hat comes up and headbutts your hands if you're phone postin'/playing videogames. If you put the thing down to pet him he scampers away to glare from the other side of the room.

loving rear end in a top hat.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Len posted:

rear end in a top hat comes up and headbutts your hands if you're phone postin'/playing videogames. If you put the thing down to pet him he scampers away to glare from the other side of the room.

loving rear end in a top hat.

Sweetheart does this too, or rubs her face all over the phone/switch controller/whatever your hands are busy with.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Is there a safe alternitive to hair ties/rubber bands for a cat toy?
Fyodor loves them and can find them even though I try my hardest to make sure they are put up where he can't get to them.
I want him to have fun but I don't want him to swallow something that could kill him either.

Cat tax

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Springs / boinks? https://www.amazon.com/Kitty-Boinks-Cat-Toys-12-pack/dp/B015NKASP8 or milkrings if you want to go cheap

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
Hank and Bandit update: he wants to play, she loves to hissss.

http://imgur.com/gallery/buawze2

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Any advice on helping cats get over their idiot grudges? Two of my heaviest workload toys: the cat fishing rod and cat charmer, have been all but shelved since across two freak days of play Mel managed to:

1. Get herself tied up in her fishing rod, at which point she tore rear end through the house trying to dislodge it, making things worse until after about an hour I was finally able to get to her hiding spot deep under the couch and get it off her.
2. While playing with the cat charmer, spin around without looking and smack her head right into the side of the entertainment center. Took her to the vet immediately after Annath's horror stories about cat head trauma and she's fine, but apparently the whole episode is the cat charmer's fault in her book.

Now if I bring either toy out, she immediately bolts to her designated scaredy cat spot and won't come out for 20-30 minutes. I have other toys, but these two were relatively easy methods of giving her a quality workout and it would be nice to have them back. Would leaving them laying out with treats around them eventually work? I'm just afraid as soon as I actually try to use either for play she'd just go back to running away.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Thumposaurus posted:

Fyodor loves them and can find them even though I try my hardest to make sure they are put up where he can't get to them.
I want him to have fun but I don't want him to swallow something that could kill him either.

Cat tax

Holy crap, those eyes. With that fur!

I use milk rings. They go farther anyway, once you learn to throw them so they hit the floor rolling.

There exist toys kind of like a hair tie but made of twine or hemp threaded through a cork ball. I'd give you a link but I don't see them on the net, and I got mine at a local pet supply store that goes in for the fancier toys.

IronDoge
Nov 6, 2008

Thumposaurus posted:

Cat tax

I bought a bag of these.
https://www.chewy.com/ethical-pet-wide-durable-heavy-gauge/dp/56210

Mine go absolutely nuts for these. They bat them around and carry around to different spots in the house to swat at and chase. Eventually the springs end up under the couch and I pull them out again for another session. They're very flexible so you don't have to worry about stepping on one.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Bought two of those heated cat beds someone linked a few pages back. Neither cat will step paw into them. Good thing they were on sale!

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

CloFan posted:

Bought two of those heated cat beds someone linked a few pages back. Neither cat will step paw into them. Good thing they were on sale!

Try putting a towel or worn piece of clothing over it.

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth

CloFan posted:

Can you put them inside a box?

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

It took a few days for Nora to dare to step foot in Ft Warms even with some clothing in there, but once she did it was everlasting love.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

CloFan posted:

Might have been me. I had some before, which got plenty of use until they got peed on. Chucked those, that cat has passed on, still have the cat that really loved them.

Hasn't shown the slightest bit of interest, the fucker.

DrHammond
Nov 8, 2011

IronDoge posted:

I bought a bag of these.
https://www.chewy.com/ethical-pet-wide-durable-heavy-gauge/dp/56210

Mine go absolutely nuts for these. They bat them around and carry around to different spots in the house to swat at and chase. Eventually the springs end up under the couch and I pull them out again for another session. They're very flexible so you don't have to worry about stepping on one.

Springs are definitely kitty crack, at least with all the cats I've given them too. I never see springs at any Petco or Petsmart type shops and I'm convinced it's quite intentional. Once you introduce your cat to the springs you can stop buying new cat toys every time you go to the store, cat only wants spring.

Oliver likes fishing pole toys and springs. The rest of the toybox is completely neglected.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Our kittens adore the springs. By far their favorite toy. I just bought a giant bag of springs off amazon cheap since they manage to chase them into weird places and lose them.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

My cats, although one more than the other, go absolutely apeshit for colored pipe cleaners all twisted up. I was worried about the metal pointy bit on the endbut they haven't poked an eye out yet so :toot:

I frequently wake up with a bundle of different pipe cleaners in our bed because Finn carries them around the house with him so that he can keep an eye on it while he sleeps.

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.

explosivo posted:

My cats, although one more than the other, go absolutely apeshit for colored pipe cleaners all twisted up. I was worried about the metal pointy bit on the endbut they haven't poked an eye out yet so :toot:

I frequently wake up with a bundle of different pipe cleaners in our bed because Finn carries them around the house with him so that he can keep an eye on it while he sleeps.

Both my cats like pipe cleaners. I made alien antennae for a game of Watch the Skies and it was a disaster trying to keep the cats from stealing them.

e: Cat tax is named Ethics, because he's black and white like ethics aren't.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

rear end in a top hat loves this crinkle ball he got in a random assortment of toys. He'll bat it under something and spend a good ten minutes trying to get it out himself before asking for help with his pathetic meowing.

Beans spent the last couple days stoned in a pile of catnip mice.

DrHammond
Nov 8, 2011

All the high tech gizmos and gadgets, spinny butterflies, automated string flickers, IOT laser pointers, motorized mice...

Little assholes only have eyes for plastic springs and pipe cleaners.

Wise luddites?

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

DrHammond posted:

All the high tech gizmos and gadgets, spinny butterflies, automated string flickers, IOT laser pointers, motorized mice...

Wise luddites?

:same:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Sydin posted:

Any advice on helping cats get over their idiot grudges? Two of my heaviest workload toys: the cat fishing rod and cat charmer, have been all but shelved since across two freak days of play Mel managed to:

1. Get herself tied up in her fishing rod, at which point she tore rear end through the house trying to dislodge it, making things worse until after about an hour I was finally able to get to her hiding spot deep under the couch and get it off her.
2. While playing with the cat charmer, spin around without looking and smack her head right into the side of the entertainment center. Took her to the vet immediately after Annath's horror stories about cat head trauma and she's fine, but apparently the whole episode is the cat charmer's fault in her book.

Now if I bring either toy out, she immediately bolts to her designated scaredy cat spot and won't come out for 20-30 minutes. I have other toys, but these two were relatively easy methods of giving her a quality workout and it would be nice to have them back. Would leaving them laying out with treats around them eventually work? I'm just afraid as soon as I actually try to use either for play she'd just go back to running away.

Just leave the toys out til she forgets. Or hide them for a week I guess?

Oh the other cheap toys my cats love are felt balls. I got some large 1-inch wide ones, they love batting and chasing those around.

As a bonus if you've got a longer haired cat you can felt up their own brushed off fur. :v:

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Bean got a band aid stuck to her fur and I had to chase her down to get it back.

For someone so large she is surprisingly nimble.

LunarShadow
Aug 15, 2013

DrHammond posted:

Wise luddites?

They are cats, they take joy in the simple things. Like frustrating the everloving gently caress out of their humans.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Mine prefer whichever toy has been knocked under the fridge. Or plastic clothes pegs for some reason.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Cats cure all ills. Post more of them.

Mine's top favourite toy is a large size suction cup that came extra with the toothbrush holder for the bathroom. He can spend hours picking it up and throwing it, will chase it as soon as he hears it slide across the floor, and is immediately alert when he hears it fall. Cats.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Pixelante posted:

Both my cats like pipe cleaners. I made alien antennae for a game of Watch the Skies and it was a disaster trying to keep the cats from stealing them.

e: Cat tax is named Ethics, because he's black and white like ethics aren't.

Ethics remains one of the all-time great cat names.

WindowLiquor
Feb 8, 2011

Oh no no, this simply will not do!
My cat likes socks... we genuinely have a sock monster that steals and hides our socks. He will throw them around by himself or, his favourite thing to do, gove the sock to us so we can play fetch... He will also pick it up with his little paw before holding it in his mouth and I melt anytime he does that as it's just too adorable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
We have a cat tree made of scratching posts along with a normal sized post. No matter how we place them, or praise him when he scratches the right thing, he always prefers to destroy the ottoman. I don't get it.