Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

I got a herniated disk and lower back pain and never jumped.

Except sick kickflips at the local skatepark my rad amigos

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Are we never allowed to give blood again? I haven't tried to give blood lately, but I recall being turned away a while back because of overseas tours.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

spacetoaster posted:

Are we never allowed to give blood again? I haven't tried to give blood lately, but I recall being turned away a while back because of overseas tours.

In all likelihood, you can give blood, or at least can give blood again in the not-so-distant future:

https://www.redcrossblood.org/donate-blood/how-to-donate/eligibility-requirements/eligibility-criteria-alphabetical.html

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
When I wake up and get moving in the morning I sound like a bowl of Rice Krispies. I have joints popping I didn't even know I had.

Literally.

If I stretch too hard I have joint pops on either side of my breastbone where the ribs join up. Weirdest god drat feeling ever the first time it happened.

thetechnoloser
Feb 11, 2003

Say hello to post-apocalyptic fun!
Grimey Drawer

bird food bathtub posted:

When I wake up and get moving in the morning I sound like a bowl of Rice Krispies. I have joints popping I didn't even know I had.

Literally.

If I stretch too hard I have joint pops on either side of my breastbone where the ribs join up. Weirdest god drat feeling ever the first time it happened.

Soulex posted:

I got a herniated disk and lower back pain and never jumped.

Except sick kickflips at the local skatepark my rad amigos

I have 13 schedular conditions that total in normal math to over "230% of disabled" and 100% schedular under VA rules!

Listen to all these people Vak!

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
This outgoing commander is out of their god damned mind. Tried to lay some blame for their hosed up property accountability on my S4 shop.

I took the nuclear option and aired all their dirty laundry in their property books that they didn't know I knew about.

Pretty sure this commander will never make MAJ.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Why don't you just REFRAD or whatever already. This sounds like a horrible existence.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

I have, I start ETS leave in May.

Still have to be the S4 until then though.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:

Mustang posted:

When I left JBLM for the last time, it was the only instance I ever smiled while driving on I5.

Triggs
Nov 23, 2005

Tango Down!

Mustang posted:

Same here, got word yesterday that BDE found a replacement to take over my company. Change of command inventories in April, woo!

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

GIP Army Officers seem to be weirdly skewed towards Armor officers for some reason.

We had a Armor branch visit recently and they talked about the ABCT being the "center of gravity" for the Armor branch. Did you guys spend more time on the Recon or Tank side of the Armor branch?

Due to going to a reconnaissance unit I spent all of my STX time in ABOLC as a scout. My only experience with tanks or bradley's was the few weeks we spent doing familiarization training. I guess it's irrelevant for me since I'm getting out but I have absolutely no interest in ever being even remotely involved with tracked vehicles or an ABCT.

The biggest reason I'm getting out is that being in the Army just loving sucks but a small part of that is the fact that Armor branch would most likely send me to an ABCT to get "turret time".

Personally I think the Armor branch should be split in two, a branch for tankers and a branch for reconnaissance that's more closely tied to MI than it is the other maneuver branches.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Intel would never touch the scout poop

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

sometimes the pot haze clears and i remember how unchill a person i was carrying a gun for pay but then i remember i never have to touch a gun again and can be chill

thats my dumb story namaste

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!

not caring here posted:

Intel would never touch the scout poop
You say that, but think about all of the MI companies that are attached to or organic with cav units. They're already elbow-deep in it.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Naked Bear posted:

You say that, but think about all of the MI companies that are attached to or organic with cav units. They're already elbow-deep in it.

I'm a little drunk so I'm just assuming y'all are talking about the Mobile Infantry.

Fleet does the flying, MI does the dying

https://i.imgur.com/J5twYsW.mp4

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Naked Bear posted:

This. We have old commo cards and task orgs from the last deployment that had the BDE MI Company as a part of the cav squadron. There's still talk of putting the MI company back under the cav.

Within BCTs MI Officers seem to have a preference for cav units since reconnaissance squadrons are in the business of answering priority information requirements. The infantry and tankers just want to destroy stuff.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

bulletsponge13 posted:

I'm 35 and hace had six orthopedic procedures since May, and have 2 more in Jan, including a partial knee replacement- all because I really thought that my unit gave a gently caress about me when I was 20. I hope you are right that your unit is really looking out for you, but if you ain't ready to jump, you ain't ready to be running around larping in kevlar.

Out of curiosity, what's the long-term plan for your knee if they already went with a partial replacement at your age?

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

Mustang posted:

GIP Army Officers seem to be weirdly skewed towards Armor officers for some reason.

We had a Armor branch visit recently and they talked about the ABCT being the "center of gravity" for the Armor branch. Did you guys spend more time on the Recon or Tank side of the Armor branch?

Due to going to a reconnaissance unit I spent all of my STX time in ABOLC as a scout. My only experience with tanks or bradley's was the few weeks we spent doing familiarization training. I guess it's irrelevant for me since I'm getting out but I have absolutely no interest in ever being even remotely involved with tracked vehicles or an ABCT.

The biggest reason I'm getting out is that being in the Army just loving sucks but a small part of that is the fact that Armor branch would most likely send me to an ABCT to get "turret time".

Personally I think the Armor branch should be split in two, a branch for tankers and a branch for reconnaissance that's more closely tied to MI than it is the other maneuver branches.

Most of the scout platoons seemed to go to tabbed infantry LTs at Stewart when I was there but it was a small sample size.

Nimmy
Feb 20, 2011

Soon young Melvin.
Your time will come.

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

Most of the scout platoons seemed to go to tabbed infantry LTs at Stewart when I was there but it was a small sample size.

Been my experience everywhere. Cav Scouts are infantry who constantly try to prove they are the real grunts.

Ashmole
Oct 5, 2008

This wish was granted by Former DILF

Mustang posted:

This. We have old commo cards and task orgs from the last deployment that had the BDE MI Company as a part of the cav squadron. There's still talk of putting the MI company back under the cav.

Within BCTs MI Officers seem to have a preference for cav units since reconnaissance squadrons are in the business of answering priority information requirements. The infantry and tankers just want to destroy stuff.

This is not an uncommon thought. Marine recon units employ ground intelligence officers as their platoon commanders and company commanders.

My problem with it is I think that the way that the army employs reconnaissance should be focused on actually fighting for information. Too many Scouts want to be sneaky SF dudes but we are in line units and part of the armor community because we are supposed to identify the FLOT of the enemy and that often causes us to get into contact first. It's a fast paced fight which is why I understand why they employ Armor officers (who have to be on a heavy platform at some point) to be in charge of those units.

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

And this is the problem with army reconnaissance units and moreso a problem in light units - commanders don't employ them properly because they use them as a downgraded infantry organization.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Out of curiosity, what's the long-term plan for your knee if they already went with a partial replacement at your age?

Honestly? I don't have a loving clue. This doc is the first to even have a conversation about it beyond, "you are too young." I broke down and told the doc straight- "If you won't operate, or if you don't have a treatment plan for the pain, I'm going to shop for amputation. I've been in pain every single day since 04."
"I doubt a doctor will amputate."
"Doc, I've got two tourniquets and a 12 gauge, I can make it happen." I laughed, but only so he thinks it was in jest- it sure as gently caress isn't.
I did ask him about what the next course is. Basically, if the partial doesn't fix the issue, it's a total knee replacement. The plan, if it does work, is run with it as long as possible, then burn the next bridge when we get to it.
At this point, I don't give a gently caress. If I get a couple years without/decreased pain, I don't give a gently caress. I just want to play outside, kick a ball with my kids, and play with my dog.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Infantry officers don't know anything about reconnaissance so to me they seem like a strange pick for scout PLs. There aren't any 11bs in scout platoons anymore either. IN BN scouts and dismounted recon troops are all 19ds now.

Probably good for the reconnaissance efforts across the BDE since all the BN scout platoons are 19ds and have relationships with the cav squadron and now train together.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Mustang posted:

Infantry officers don't know anything about reconnaissance so to me they seem like a strange pick for scout PLs. There aren't any 11bs in scout platoons anymore either. IN BN scouts and dismounted recon troops are all 19ds now.

Probably good for the reconnaissance efforts across the BDE since all the BN scout platoons are 19ds and have relationships with the cav squadron and now train together.

How are they on the uptake?

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

No idea how the current infantry scout PLs are now that their platoons are all 19Ds. Probably better since 19Ds do reconnaissance full time instead of what used to be a specialty platoon for infantry.

Each time we got attached to an IN BN during the train up or at NTC, the BN Scouts, who were all still infantry at the time, didn't actually do a whole lot of reconnaissance.

The IN BNs in general didn't seem to place much importance on reconnaissance however one of the BN commanders was very open to listening to my commander on what we had to offer them. As a consequence they attached their scout platoon to us and utilized us to great effect. Was my only positive experience being attached to another BN.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Suck a dick Army

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

We've had the same CSM for like 2 and a half years. When the hell is this guy going to leave.

Getting tired of his dumb old man knee jerk reactions to everything. "One or two guys did something wrong? Punish the whole unit to make sure it doesn't happen again."

But of course it happens again. There's hundreds of people in the BN.

I bet he will still be the CSM when I sign out on ETS leave in May.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

He's not moving up, so he's not going to move out until he retires. See how much TIS he's got and that'll tell you.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Mustang posted:

We've had the same CSM for like 2 and a half years. When the hell is this guy going to leave.

Getting tired of his dumb old man knee jerk reactions to everything. "One or two guys did something wrong? Punish the whole unit to make sure it doesn't happen again."

From my experience in Corps level HHC units, he won't leave. He will get shuffled around section to section until he goes to a school or retires. We had a good idea fairy CSM who was so fat he couldn't even zip up his goddamn top. He deployed with us and stayed with us for 4+ years until I left. No idea how much longer he stayed but he had been there before I showed up.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Mustang posted:

It gets easier if you just stop asking these questions of yourself. Accept that the Army is what it is, and that it is stupid and will always be stupid.

Triggs
Nov 23, 2005

Tango Down!
I'm convinced that being in the army is like being in an abusive relationship, just gotta cut all ties if you actually want to be happy.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
This is why veterans who cut all ties do so great in civilian life.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Vahakyla posted:

This is why veterans who cut all ties do so great in civilian life.

Says the guy who served in two different countries' armed forces.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Triggs posted:

I'm convinced that being in the army is like being in an abusive relationship, just gotta cut all ties if you actually want to be happy.

Yeah, but when I did I made sure I got my alimony and benefits.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Ashmole posted:

This is not an uncommon thought. Marine recon units employ ground intelligence officers as their platoon commanders and company commanders.

My problem with it is I think that the way that the army employs reconnaissance should be focused on actually fighting for information. Too many Scouts want to be sneaky SF dudes but we are in line units and part of the armor community because we are supposed to identify the FLOT of the enemy and that often causes us to get into contact first. It's a fast paced fight which is why I understand why they employ Armor officers (who have to be on a heavy platform at some point) to be in charge of those units.

And this is the problem with army reconnaissance units and moreso a problem in light units - commanders don't employ them properly because they use them as a downgraded infantry organization.

poo poo, my first assignment as a Cav scout was as a fuckin MGS Gunner. Nothing says reconnaissance like an unarmed, undergunned, unmaneuverable wheel-tank. None of the training for the platform was remotely close to the actual breaching and support mission of the MGS either, it was all geared towards slapping PCs and Tanks at 1500 meters.

Thankfully I’m a dismounted squad leader now. Slightly less chance of getting liquified by artillery or CAS.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

bulletsponge13 posted:

Honestly? I don't have a loving clue. This doc is the first to even have a conversation about it beyond, "you are too young." I broke down and told the doc straight- "If you won't operate, or if you don't have a treatment plan for the pain, I'm going to shop for amputation. I've been in pain every single day since 04."
"I doubt a doctor will amputate."
"Doc, I've got two tourniquets and a 12 gauge, I can make it happen." I laughed, but only so he thinks it was in jest- it sure as gently caress isn't.
I did ask him about what the next course is. Basically, if the partial doesn't fix the issue, it's a total knee replacement. The plan, if it does work, is run with it as long as possible, then burn the next bridge when we get to it.
At this point, I don't give a gently caress. If I get a couple years without/decreased pain, I don't give a gently caress. I just want to play outside, kick a ball with my kids, and play with my dog.

I've had about 6 knee surgeries to slowly and gradually remove my outer meniscus on one knee between 2002 and 2012, and in 2017, I finally had to have surgery to remove bone fragments from the arthrosis that had been blocking the joint. The initial consult yielded "uh, the next stop is either some form of damage control, or a knee replacement". Since unicondilary sleds usually don't last more than 15 years, and a full knee replacement would not be considered due to my age, the doctors advised me on avoiding any form of knee replacement as long as humanely possible, since you can't just "renew" a partial or full knee replacement when they "stop working".

The galaxy-brain plan was to have an artificial meniscus implanted to limit the damage, but since I'm a very lucky dude, the remaining ends of my meniscus had deteriorated to the point where an collagen meniscus could no longer be anchored, so the single remaining alternative was a cadaver meniscus.
So my current path has led me through axis correction surgery, because the anteriolateral gap needed to be expanded for the meniscus transplant, which entailed the following fun times:

I'll save my breath on how much fun that was, but this is still all a preparatory measure to spare me a partial knee replacement.

I'm a bit mindblown over you getting a partial knee-replacement that loving quick.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Sweet jesus

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Hey cool. You have a dead guy inside you

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Duzzy Funlop posted:

I've had about 6 knee surgeries to slowly and gradually remove my outer meniscus on one knee between 2002 and 2012, and in 2017, I finally had to have surgery to remove bone fragments from the arthrosis that had been blocking the joint. The initial consult yielded "uh, the next stop is either some form of damage control, or a knee replacement". Since unicondilary sleds usually don't last more than 15 years, and a full knee replacement would not be considered due to my age, the doctors advised me on avoiding any form of knee replacement as long as humanely possible, since you can't just "renew" a partial or full knee replacement when they "stop working".

The galaxy-brain plan was to have an artificial meniscus implanted to limit the damage, but since I'm a very lucky dude, the remaining ends of my meniscus had deteriorated to the point where an collagen meniscus could no longer be anchored, so the single remaining alternative was a cadaver meniscus.
So my current path has led me through axis correction surgery, because the anteriolateral gap needed to be expanded for the meniscus transplant, which entailed the following fun times:

I'll save my breath on how much fun that was, but this is still all a preparatory measure to spare me a partial knee replacement.

I'm a bit mindblown over you getting a partial knee-replacement that loving quick.

*stares sweatily at own popcorn-sounding knees*

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

The good news is that cadaver meniscuses (menisci?) can only be imported from the US, since harvesting non-life-sustaining tissue is illegal in socialist Europe, so one of y'all needs to kick it for me to walk more smoothly.

I was hoping it would be like one of those restaurants with a lobster fish tank where you pick out the one you want, but more like me going to the south and going "that one with the MAGA hat, they look so vigorous", but alas, that's not what's up. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

You have to acquire your own here. It's a special tag that you have to get separately from your regular hunting license.

Naked Bear fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Dec 19, 2018