Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

The Muppets On PCP posted:

i feel like a lot of wampler dudes play in nondenominational church bands but i'm probably getting them mixed up with guys who own a bunch of strymon gear

Nah that’s accurate, tons of P&W dudes

Some are super nice and cool but yeeeaaaahh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Friend on facebook just now: "Putting $300 pickups in a $200 guitar should be called Djentrification."

My favorite thing is that they always leave the pickups on when they sell the guitar even though it adds $0 to the sell price.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Djentrification
:vince:

New thread title

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Friend on facebook just now: "Putting $300 pickups in a $200 guitar should be called Djentrification."

i love this

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Anime Reference posted:

My favorite thing is that they always leave the pickups on when they sell the guitar even though it adds $0 to the sell price.

Maybe? But unless they kept the old pickups to put back then not keeping the new ones in reduces the sell price

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Kilometers Davis posted:

The people in the group are so loving DULL I really should just leave.

It sounds like you fit right in though

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Do you make music a human heart? I’ve never figured that out.

If that sounds like a smug question or something it’s not I’m just curious.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

SimonChris posted:

https://www.rollingstone.com/culture/culture-features/threatin-metal-tour-fake-ticket-sales-hoax-767580/

Threatin has broken his silence with an interview, going all-in on the puppetmaster defense. If only he had paid his backing band better, I would kind of respect the audacity of it all. Apparently, he blew most of his life's savings on this stunt.

I kinda love this. Not that real people lost money and time, but the effort to manufacture everything and go through with it is top tier. I'd watch his documentary.

Gnumonic
Dec 11, 2005

Maybe you thought I was the Packard Goose?
Wampler group sounds a lot like r/Guitar. Which is the dumbest collection of talentless blues dads on the internet. Because if you play any melody with a 2nd or 6th, or any beat division more difficult than a triplet, or anything that isn't a 12 bar blues, it's emotionless masturbation. Not saying everyone has to like all the weird shreddy music I do, but I really feel like almost everyone who posts there repeats that poo poo as an excuse for both sucking and having no desire to suck less.

Tangent: Actually, I have no idea why the belief that the sole purpose of all music is to convey emotion is so common. Maybe it's because I studied a bunch of aesthetic theory a few years back (I'm a humanities Ph.D student), but that's generally considered to be a really lovely account of what art is. Obviously some styles of art aim at conveying a specific emotion, but it's a dumb standard to judge all forms of art or music by that one criterion. A lot of great art, especially in the past century or so, is great simply because it's novel, or calls into question stylistic norms, or serves as social or cultural criticism (or whatever). I'm pretty sure that when Frank Zappa quotes a bar of Stravinsky in a Doo-Wop song about boogers (or whatever), he's not overly concerned with the emotional affect of the listener. Doesn't mean it isn't badass.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Gnumonic posted:

Wampler group sounds a lot like r/Guitar. Which is the dumbest collection of talentless blues dads on the internet. Because if you play any melody with a 2nd or 6th, or any beat division more difficult than a triplet, or anything that isn't a 12 bar blues, it's emotionless masturbation. Not saying everyone has to like all the weird shreddy music I do, but I really feel like almost everyone who posts there repeats that poo poo as an excuse for both sucking and having no desire to suck less.

Tangent: Actually, I have no idea why the belief that the sole purpose of all music is to convey emotion is so common. Maybe it's because I studied a bunch of aesthetic theory a few years back (I'm a humanities Ph.D student), but that's generally considered to be a really lovely account of what art is. Obviously some styles of art aim at conveying a specific emotion, but it's a dumb standard to judge all forms of art or music by that one criterion. A lot of great art, especially in the past century or so, is great simply because it's novel, or calls into question stylistic norms, or serves as social or cultural criticism (or whatever). I'm pretty sure that when Frank Zappa quotes a bar of Stravinsky in a Doo-Wop song about boogers (or whatever), he's not overly concerned with the emotional affect of the listener. Doesn't mean it isn't badass.

Art should be visceral is a good rule I live by. Covers a lot of ground and excludes poo poo I don't like whilst also allowing me to feel smugly superior. :D

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Gnumonic posted:

I'm pretty sure that when Frank Zappa quotes a bar of Stravinsky in a Doo-Wop song about boogers (or whatever), he's not overly concerned with the emotional affect of the listener. Doesn't mean it isn't badass.

I have made it a policy in twenty years of being on the internet to automatically be suspicious of anyone who unironically says something is either "badass" or "kickass."

It has not failed me yet.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Philthy posted:

I kinda love this. Not that real people lost money and time, but the effort to manufacture everything and go through with it is top tier. I'd watch his documentary.

Narcissists flaming out is an evergreen subject.

Gnumonic
Dec 11, 2005

Maybe you thought I was the Packard Goose?

hexwren posted:

I have made it a policy in twenty years of being on the internet to automatically be suspicious of anyone who unironically says something is either "badass" or "kickass."

It has not failed me yet.

Replace "badass" with "great art" if it tickles your fancy. Same basic point, doesn't really make a difference to what I meant.

And just to be clear: It's perfectly fine if, as an artist, you want to shoot for conveying emotion. Whatever you want to do with your art is fine at the end of the day. The point I'm trying to make is more about art criticism I guess.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Slightly related but the day I stopped reading reviews/critiques of music was the most wonderful day and best decision I’ve ever made. It’s a completely bullshit world 99% of the time. Elevating art and piecing together the history rules. The rest is a cesspool. The only review I want to read is “hey this is loving sick check it out”.

Concatenation
Jul 23, 2005

Your human mentality cries out for vengeance and thrives on the violence you say you can hardly endure.
smdh if you're writing music to express an emotion that isn't "that riff just punched me real hard in the dick"

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

The purpose of music is to make Joe Perry's solo project sound adventurous.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Concatenation posted:

smdh if you're writing music to express an emotion that isn't "that riff just punched me real hard in the dick"

That’s an emotion

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Jason Sextro posted:

The purpose of music is to make Joe Perry's solo project sound adventurous.

honkin on bobo

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Do you want a hupyrolysege slcorpselong?

SimonChris posted:

https://www.rollingstone.com/culture/culture-features/threatin-metal-tour-fake-ticket-sales-hoax-767580/

Threatin has broken his silence with an interview, going all-in on the puppetmaster defense. If only he had paid his backing band better, I would kind of respect the audacity of it all. Apparently, he blew most of his life's savings on this stunt.
Oh lord he brought up Puerto Rico again. Years ago, he and his brother both mentioned that concert repeatedly as if that made them "internationally" known. At least his brother was able to self-promote his way into a support role in an actual band instead of trying to go on tour as a solo artist. Though I did find it funny when his own solo project Nevalra would have Facebook posts like "Today is Scott's birthday. Wish him a happy birthday." Dude you wrote that about yourself.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/resources/idt-sh/jered_threatin

He is definitely getting some major coverage from this stunt. How many legit bands get this kind of in-depth articles from the BBC?

SimonChris fucked around with this message at 10:32 on Dec 16, 2018

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
at best he's a foootnote that'll get brought up on some twitter post about how wacky 2018 was where a spice girl having her hand cut off barely made the news

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

SimonChris posted:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/resources/idt-sh/jered_threatin

He is definitely getting some major coverage from this stunt. How many legit bands get this kind of in-depth articles from the BBC?

The kind of coverage that ensures he’ll never play even an open mic again.

Fuck Your Website
Nov 29, 2003
FUCK YOU, AND FUCK YOUR WEBSITE

Philthy posted:

It’s not “top tier” or anything remotely close, it’s wasteful amateur hour savings-burning ego masturbation.

“Top tier” media scamming is pretending there’s any way offset “interrupted” a headliner’s festival act with a parade of roses without prior clearance, or that jay-z and Beyoncé have a loving, honest emotional relationship.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

gently caress eventide

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

How does eventide have any right to the word rose in the first place?

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Kilometers Davis posted:

gently caress eventide

Looks like someone took a pic a few months back with this pedalboard of an unreleased Eventide pedal.

It hasn't been released yet, which might be why they're defensive about it? It may have already been registered etc.

Edit: It looks like earlier this year Eventide got sued for a plugin they just released called Fission and they had to rename it to Physion or something goofy. I bet that moment forward they got their ducks in a row for all products they plan to release....

quote:

Shortly after we launched Fission in 2017 we were notified that another software product had been named Fission and, in response to a formal request, we decided the best thing to do would be to change the name of our product. So, from now on Fission will be known as Physion.

We apologize for any inconvenience or confusion this change might cause, but we chose to spend our time, money and energy on product development rather than in legal wrangling over a name. After all, a rose by any other name…

Philthy fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Dec 17, 2018

Shardy
Jun 21, 2000
I'm a sticky snake!

quote:

After all, a rose by any other name… 
wouldn't get a c&d from eventide?

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

A steal at only $550!

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
misread the logo for a second and thought it said albania

a balkan alabama cover band would kinda rule though

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Philthy posted:

Looks like someone took a pic a few months back with this pedalboard of an unreleased Eventide pedal.

It hasn't been released yet, which might be why they're defensive about it? It may have already been registered etc.

Edit: It looks like earlier this year Eventide got sued for a plugin they just released called Fission and they had to rename it to Physion or something goofy. I bet that moment forward they got their ducks in a row for all products they plan to release....

Is that the guy from living colors pedalboard? I saw that purely because it’s obscene, and I know his is ridiculous.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

massive spider posted:

Is that the guy from living colors pedalboard? I saw that purely because it’s obscene, and I know his is ridiculous.

Yah, it is apparently Vernon Reid's pedalboard.

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/electric-guitars/teye-guitars

Seriously, who buys this poo poo?

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
If it was linoleum instead of abalone it'd be awesome. As it is it's just bougie crap.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

https://reverb.com/item/17725608-brian-eastwood-bender-distortocaster-1997

:eyepop: :eyepop: :eyepop: :eyepop: :eyepop:

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

That's a project a luthier does just to work some personal poo poo out.

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

Apparently they're all hand built by a Dutch guitarist, but what really gets me is that they are basically just Zemaitis guitars built by a different luthier.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Actually kinda dope. It looks like a guitar you'd see in a 90s Nickelodeon cartoon.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Yeah I mean honestly I want one.

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

I had a stupid music poo poo epiphany just a minute ago.

I have probably 3 grand worth of overdrive and distortion pedals, from cheap poo poo like a big muff to expensive poo poo like a klon clone or a JHS sweet tea...

I use my 35 dollar (used, it's like 50 new) TC Electronic Mojo Mojo more than all the others combined. It sounds so good for being such a cheap rear end pedal.

I'm gonna sell a bunch of poo poo on Reverb and buy some different stupid poo poo I think

Malaria fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Dec 18, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Malaria posted:

I had a stupid music poo poo epiphany just a minute ago.

I have probably 3 grand worth of overdrive and distortion pedals, from cheap poo poo like a big muff to expensive poo poo like a klon clone or a JHS sweet tea...

I use my 35 dollar (used, it's like 50 new) TC Electronic Mojo Mojo more than all the others combined. It sounds so good for being such a cheap rear end pedal.

I'm gonna sell a bunch of poo poo on Reverb and buy some different stupid poo poo I think

This is worth reflecting on as much as possible. A lot of "boutique" poo poo is just that... poo poo.

Unrelated:

https://twitter.com/Enlargeyournerd/status/1074670984563544064