Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

Reborn tries to be a lot of things. Operative word, tries.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Miss posted:

and here's the lil fella, since I missed him earlier

:five:

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Miss posted:

I want one. :swoon:

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
I am sad there is no Snowlax (because late game shenanigans.)

But Leaflax is acceptable second place.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Draxion posted:

He can learn Seed Bomb by tutor at least by that's still a ways away.

My entire life is a lie.

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

The tutor for Giga Drain, Seed Bomb, and Synthesis is in a hidden area, inside a different already tricky to find area, several cities from here. They definitely didn't make it easy to find.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

iospace posted:

It's why it's not a bad game compared to the trainwreck that is Reborn et al., if you ask me. It's at least trying to be funny between the edgy parts, instead of ALL EDGE ALL THE TIME like Reborn.

I worry that the edgelord plot will rear its ugly head poorly, but for now I'm content to say it's not bad.

Honestly, even the edgelord plot so far is mostly fine other than the human sacrifice bit. I mean, it's nothing I wouldn't expect to see in say, the old 90s spiderman cartoon or whatever beyond the explicit mentions of death being a threat on the table for some folk. I'm legit enjoying this game so far, so I really hope it doesn't ramp off a cliff while screaming EXTREME EDGE, Reborn style.

Also those munchlax and snorlax delta arts are adorable. :3:

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Honestly, a Grass type with Thick Fat is something I can actually get behind. I never use Grass because they're usually paired with something to give them tons of weaknesses

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

Miss posted:

He is perfect and I love him dearly.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Miss posted:

I love everything about these and would buy plushies of these if they existed in a heartbeat. :swoon:

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

Honestly, a Grass type with Thick Fat is something I can actually get behind. I never use Grass because they're usually paired with something to give them tons of weaknesses

Honestly, grass itself is usually the one giving the tons of weaknesses there. Fire, Ice, and Flying are all super common not just as types, but as off-type filler moves (how many water-types do you know of with easy access to Ice Beam? What about literally everything with Acrobatics or Aerial Ace?) and while Bug and Poison aren't nearly as common, they're still prevalent enough to poke holes in your defenses, especially in newer generations where they aren't poo poo on the attack like they used to be. Add in the fact that the only thing Grass itself hits super-effective is Ground, Rock, and Water, which have more versatile counters in Water and Electric, respectively, and it's just... usually Grass is the underdog of starter types for a reason.

Weedlax is good enough to not care about a bad typing, though. :swoon:

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

eee, there's some lovely deltas in this and some very nice art in the thread. snorlax is relaxo in germany and that is always my favourite I like his tree ears too :3: treears

however, kepler 452-b must be destroyed

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

KataraniSword posted:

Honestly, grass itself is usually the one giving the tons of weaknesses there. Fire, Ice, and Flying are all super common not just as types, but as off-type filler moves (how many water-types do you know of with easy access to Ice Beam? What about literally everything with Acrobatics or Aerial Ace?) and while Bug and Poison aren't nearly as common, they're still prevalent enough to poke holes in your defenses, especially in newer generations where they aren't poo poo on the attack like they used to be. Add in the fact that the only thing Grass itself hits super-effective is Ground, Rock, and Water, which have more versatile counters in Water and Electric, respectively, and it's just... usually Grass is the underdog of starter types for a reason.

Grass starters usually get their popularity based on their design rather than their utility or power, yeah. Grass starters are almost all really neat, especially in the first and final stages, though the middle evolution being unimpressive is a common problem among drat near everything that evolves more than once.
I say 'almost' because I find Chikorita's line really boring.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Bayleef at least is the best looking middle stage line of a Grass starter.

Too bad it's the worst Grass-type starter. :v:

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

KataraniSword posted:

I keep saying that Grass needs to be severely buffed. It needs to lose two weaknesses and have at least two more types lose resistances to it. It’s not cute or fun for one of the three starter types to be so much worse than then other two.

Off the top of my head, Grass could become immune to Fairy under the logic that Fairy would never harm nature and Flying types could lose their resistance. They should also resist Rock and be flat out strong against Electric. Possibly resist Fighting as well, but that’s not that big of a priority.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Bayleef at least is the best looking middle stage line of a Grass starter.

Too bad it's the worst Grass-type starter. :v:

I think you’ll find that Grovyle takes the place as the real best looking mid-stage Grass starter.

Geostomp fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Dec 17, 2018

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Geostomp posted:

I think you’ll find that Grovyle takes the place as the real best looking mid-stage Grass starter.

This is Dartrix erasure and I won't stand for it.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

So after all my doubting which version to get to again get back into pokémon the local ebay analogue solved it for me:
A p much immaculate New 2DSXL, Ultra Moon, Y, Alpha Sapphire and some animal Crossing game for €100,- :dance:

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

that's a pretty good deal except for the 2ds

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

The new 2ds folds now and the 3d feature was always the most useless part of the 3ds, seems pretty good to me.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

and has a built-in amiibo scanner if you're into unlocking the extras in AC (including unique decor and a way to force move in villagers you like)

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!
should have gotten X just so that way they were all blue games :P

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Zedd posted:

So after all my doubting which version to get to again get back into pokémon the local ebay analogue solved it for me:
A p much immaculate New 2DSXL, Ultra Moon, Y, Alpha Sapphire and some animal Crossing game for €100,- :dance:

That seems it would've just made the doubting worse, now you have three different games to go for!

UM is the best of the lot, AS is the worst, Y is solidly mid-tier. You probably want to start with either Gen 6 game before moving into Gen 7 though.

Chronische
Aug 7, 2012

Geostomp posted:

I keep saying that Grass needs to be severely buffed. It needs to lose two weaknesses and have at least two more types lose resistances to it. It’s not cute or fun for one of the three starter types to be so much worse than then other two.

Off the top of my head, Grass could become immune to Fairy under the logic that Fairy would never harm nature and Flying types could lose their resistance. They should also resist Rock and be flat out strong against Electric. Possibly resist Fighting as well, but that’s not that big of a priority.

Grass has nothing on the suffering Ice has gone through since Gen 1. Weak to god damned everything, good against nothing not covered better by other types. Exists pretty much just for it's moves, since it's actual pokemon are simply not good enough to survive against non-NPC trainers. Poor Ice...

Saladin Rising
Nov 12, 2016

When there is no real hope we must
mint our own. If the coin be
counterfeit it may still be passed.

Kitfox88 posted:

Honestly, even the edgelord plot so far is mostly fine other than the human sacrifice bit. I mean, it's nothing I wouldn't expect to see in say, the old 90s spiderman cartoon or whatever beyond the explicit mentions of death being a threat on the table for some folk. I'm legit enjoying this game so far, so I really hope it doesn't ramp off a cliff while screaming EXTREME EDGE, Reborn style.

Also those munchlax and snorlax delta arts are adorable. :3:
Yeah from the way the story started I was expecting a way higher body count that what we've gotten so far. There's been like, the hiker and the person with them edit: those two survived, a Gym Leader (we still got the badge and it works, gently caress you Reborn), some cultists (I think), and of course the sacrifice. That's not even at Mewtwo levels of body count yet, and stuff like the Gym Leader's death was tied into the plot... acceptably well, from what I remember?

The post saying the plot for this is "Saturday morning cartoon villains for twelve-year-olds instead of Saturday morning cartoon villains for six year olds" is honestly a perfect description, with all that statement implies.

And the Delta Pokemon are obviously doing something right if they get this kind of adorable fanart:

Miss posted:

Saladin Rising fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Dec 18, 2018

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Saladin Rising posted:

There's been like, the hiker and the person with them

The Hiker and his family survived, though. Jaern was mentioned to have rescued them.

limeicebreakers
May 1, 2017

Kyrosiris posted:

This is Dartrix erasure and I won't stand for it.

I had a really hard time evolving my Dartrix in Pokemon Moon. He's just so dapper and cute :3:

limeicebreakers fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Dec 18, 2018

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Hell, in the original anime Ash actually gets murdered by a pokemon when the Ghostly Trio crush him and Pikachu with a chandelier in Lavender Tower. Mewtwo wasn't even his first murderer. Once again, a ghost owns a psychic.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
I guess that explains why he doesn't age. He's been a pokezombie for years now.

Looking pretty sharp for a dead guy, though.

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

Cardiovorax posted:

I guess that explains why he doesn't age. He's been a pokezombie for years now.

Looking pretty sharp for a dead guy, though.

♪ And all the liches say I'm pretty fly for a dead guy ♪

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

BioEnchanted posted:

Hell, in the original anime Ash actually gets murdered by a pokemon when the Ghostly Trio crush him and Pikachu with a chandelier in Lavender Tower.

Oh yeah, that did happen.

Man, early Pokemon was weird.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change

Zedd posted:

Excellent choice. Just...for the love of god, send your DS into nintendo if it gets a screen broken somehow...I'm on about a MONTH of waiting for mine to get fixed on a third-party shop. Because screens keep coming in and they either don't work for my N3DS or they don't work on my model (the black-friday ones from a few years back).

azren
Feb 14, 2011

limeicebreakers posted:

I had a really hard time evolving my Dartrix in Pokemon Moon. He's just so dapper and cute :3:

I'm gonna be "that guy," and say that I hate Dartrix's design. He's just the wrong kind of emo-dorfy style for me.

More power to you for liking what you like, though.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I have a recommendation because I think I like this failed franchise that tried to compete with Pokemon and got totally stomped more than actual Pokemon - I've been playing Telefang on an emulator and it totally owns, it's got so many quality of life aspects.

For example the game makes it so you barely have to grind - the Main guy you get at the start has absolutely monstrous stat growths to be point that at level 16 he was doing more damage to a level 26 boss that the more recently obtained level 21 monsters, and it keeps the pace going at a breakneck speed - instead of stopping to throw a billion balls at wildlife getting more and more frustrated (because Pokemon capturing can really suck) you just beat the guy and he'll probably give you his cell number, and BOOM. A guy who is on par and close by.

Proximity mechanic also means that you don't waste time trying to get a level 6 dude to level 20, unless you really want to, because unless you put him in front he won't be any use anyway. Every ally who isn't the one directly following you (who you can swap out at any time if needed) you need to call in via their phones, and they travel to your side from their homes. This means early game characters just won't get to late game areas, so you're just best using the newest guys, who often have interesting designs and movesets.

Also it keeps varying what you do - you go from a guy who simply forgot to fetch water, to a girl planning on performing a landgrab and using the town as her base of operations, both who are from the same Team Rocket analog, but then you also get a short tournament arc after meeting a more primary villain, and negotiating a peace treaty between snakes and birds in a desert. It's just fun, and doesn't slow down. I kinda wish it hadn't bombed.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
I think part of the reason Pokemon did so well while its competitors didn't is that it doesn't pressure you to swap out your mons all the time. You can use whatever you like for as long as you like. Some people like using the same 6 guys all game, some like swapping out all the time. Pokemon accommodates both.

quote:

because Pokemon capturing can really suck
I agree with this part, although Pokemon's too loathe to change up mechanics for this to ever be solved. I know the Let's Go games copy the Pokemon Go capture system, but everything I read about it makes it sound even worse than the normal one(and you have to do it a lot since it's also how you grind xp).

quote:

I kinda wish it hadn't bombed
I wonder how differently people would look at Telefang if most people's only exposure to it wasn't the terribly translated "Pokemon Jade & Pokemon Diamond". I remember reading an LP of it and was surprised that it was actually a decent game when it wasn't pretending to be Pokemon.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Let's Go is a better grind than the others tbh, if you get a chain going you get insane amounts of xp very easily.

I went shiny hunting before gym 6 and ended up with a level 70 team

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
My reaction mostly comes from the fact that apparently one of the Let's Go gyms flat-out won't let you challenge it unless you have a certain (high) number of Pokemon caught. gently caress that noise. Having to go out of my way to catch Pokemon all the time would be my personal hell.

For context, I'm the person who has Repels going 24/7 the instant my team is finalized & doesn't grind wild mons at all outside the first couple of routes. Any captures outside of that are halfhearted Quick Ball spam that gets fed directly into Wonder Trade.

is that good
Apr 14, 2012
I thought Let's Go wild pokemon weren't battles like that specifically so they'd be less of a grind

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

For reasons I've never understood, the actual monster capturing is usually awful in monster-capturing games, and Pokemon is probably the one that does it the best out of all of them. There's much less RNG involved, it's not a once-per-battle chance, there's no tedious minigames involved, etc.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Sadly the Telefang translation is incomplete. Happily it's still actively being worked on, the last patch update was 2 days ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

U.T. Raptor posted:

For reasons I've never understood, the actual monster capturing is usually awful in monster-capturing games, and Pokemon is probably the one that does it the best out of all of them. There's much less RNG involved, it's not a once-per-battle chance, there's no tedious minigames involved, etc.

It's either that, or subpar monster designs. Sometimes (more often than not, imo), it's both.

As much as some people yell at Game Freak to change up the formula of things, there's a reason they've stuck to the formula so closely.