Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
I just got my first Orion and I love it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

sean10mm posted:

I just got my first Orion and I love it.

feels like a huge power upgrade, huh? It's the best heavy and better than most every assault sub-100 tons

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

If your an ultra-grog and wanted to know exactly which ammo bins get used first:

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/ammo-consumption-order.1138975/

TL;DR

'Mechs have an "inventory" array (think of a list) that defines all their equipped items, like ammo
Ammo is drawn from a single bin until empty
Ammo bins are drawn from the "top" or "oldest" entry in the array until depleted
New ammo bins added are added at "the bottom of the list"
Moving an ammo bin moves that bin to the bottom of the list, even placing it back in the same slot counts *
Moving items inside the location, but not touching the ammo bin does not affect the bin's hierarchy in the list *
* Needs a bit more confirmation but these are the results I've seen

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

Here's a bug you can exploit for now to save your Lights that are really close to death but still got both legs or a lot of jets:

Being Unstable still lets you earn and keep Evasion normally.

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/battletech-evasion-while-unsteady-bugged.1138997/#post-24970905

While we talked about gaining unsteady Evasion with JJ in the discord, turns out that if you are fired on and hit with missiles/ACs even when already unsteady you get to keep your Pips. This means if you have a fast unit that is getting wrecked and you need to save it, jump or move as far as you can anyway and build up that Evasion knowing you can't lose it at once like going from stable to unstable.

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

You think that's illegal? Heh, watch this.

Breetai posted:

uuhhhhhhh.....

:black101:

e: I took the leg off of a pristine Grasshopper in one melee round. This thing is nuts.
Drop the ML's and add armor. You never want to shoot them anyway, always be punching

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

TV dog Wishbone of PBS posted:

Drop the ML's and add armor. You never want to shoot them anyway, always be punching

Gotta have something to do while advancing on the enemy.

Although if you swap the MLAS and SLAS for flamers...

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

TV dog Wishbone of PBS posted:

Nah, add jumpjets for DFA

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

You can drop the MLs AND the heat sinks and do both.

Though you have to be vaguely careful of heat if you see a heavy with a flamer that your pilot goes out of his way not to break immediately.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Drop the MLs and add jumpjets

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE
Is there a way to tell how many contracts are available at a system before I head there? I keep taking a travel contract, doing a mission, and then seeing no other missions that I can take without traveling again...

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Sounds like you became a House Marik ally!

I do kinda wish the mission generator would check to see who you were allied to and would drop/replace any missions with an enemy faction and give you more of the faction you're an ally with instead (if that ally has influence on a planet).

The Capellan Confederation is never short on missions, but House Marik gives like, one per planet and then you're SOL.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

PoptartsNinja posted:

Sounds like you became a House Marik ally!

No, but I did piss off the Capellan Confederation, which I guess is close enough.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

ulmont posted:

Is there a way to tell how many contracts are available at a system before I head there? I keep taking a travel contract, doing a mission, and then seeing no other missions that I can take without traveling again...

No, and it'd be a nice feature to have.

As it is, the best you can do is daisy chain jumps and check what contracts are available before committing to the burn towards the planet.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

ulmont posted:

No, but I did piss off the Capellan Confederation, which I guess is close enough.

The Capellan Confederation just seems to get a lot more generic missions than anyone because they're so centrally located.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

PoptartsNinja posted:

The Capellan Confederation just seems to get a lot more generic missions than anyone because they're so centrally located.

You might even call them the middle kingdom

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Is there any online tool that lets me tinker with mech builds instead of being limited to what I currently have in Mechbay?

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

The skirmish mechbay

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Stravag posted:

The skirmish mechbay

Shocking.

I'm dumb, thanks.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

You probably wont have lostech or + weapons unless you mess with jsons but its enough to give you the basic build before you tinker in campaign

PBJ
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
So I finally bit the bullet and bought this game.

Oh man, my years of playing the older Mechwarrior games are gonna be the death of my entire company, as SRM carriers and related vehicles are no longer squishy free kills.

Dekker just took a face full of missiles the moment he crossed a ridge line. Not even legs remain...

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
As soon as you get to mediums or even the Panther, vehicles are just a satisfying curb stomp away from death. But srm carriers still get scarier later when they have like 8 srms. Though once you get a Banshee you stop giving a flying gently caress because you can and should max its armor and lose fear of anything except 2+ full lances focus firing it for more than 2 rounds.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Demolishers and SRM carriers can and will lay waste to your mechs if they get the chance and are a big part of why I put max jumpets on literally anything I can so I can get an easy flank shot and evasion pips.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
Yeah especially when you didn't quite get los but it's a vehicle so how ba... oh poo poo it's a demolisher and I just melee attacked ffffffff

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Vehicle improvement project mod is wonderful for keeping vehicle detections from being a relaxing stomp

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

I just wish I could actually bring along some vehicles of my own.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

PBJ posted:

So I finally bit the bullet and bought this game.

[ ... ]
Dekker just took a face full of missiles

believe it or not you're playing it correctly

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009
So what are the new good combos for the abilities, is Bulwark still necessary for every build?

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
Bulwark is the best low rank ability, and it leads to the only other good high rank ability besides tactician.

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

Koorisch posted:

So what are the new good combos for the abilities, is Bulwark still necessary for every build?

Sure Foot/Bulwark are top rate soldier class that can expand in to Coolant Vent for hot brawler builds or in to Ace Pilot for back stabbers.

Organ Fiend
May 21, 2007

custom title

Amechwarrior posted:

Sure Foot/Bulwark are top rate soldier class that can expand in to Coolant Vent for hot brawler builds or in to Ace Pilot for back stabbers.

Is it just me, or is Ace Pilot just not very good? I just can't find a use for it. I mean, I know conceptually how its supposed to work (turn 1 jump in + backshoot, turn 2 backshoot then jump out before they can shoot you), but it just doesn't seem worth it once you get beyond the "light mech phase" of the game. Without it, I can still just reserve until someone moves within striking range, then jump in and backshoot it. Usually, the mech dies or dies next turn, so I don't really need to shoot and then run away. It also seems like the AI really has no clue how to use Ace Pilot.

Maybe they should add old juggernaut (or old juggernaut + brace on melee) to ace pilot? I mean, the piloting skill has always been more of "the melee skill" than guts ever was (piloting = melee hit %).

Side note, they really need to change class descriptions (and possibly names) for everything that used to have Juggernaut.

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

Organ Fiend posted:

Is it just me, or is Ace Pilot just not very good? I just can't find a use for it. I mean, I know conceptually how its supposed to work (turn 1 jump in + backshoot, turn 2 backshoot then jump out before they can shoot you), but it just doesn't seem worth it once you get beyond the "light mech phase" of the game. Without it, I can still just reserve until someone moves within striking range, then jump in and backshoot it. Usually, the mech dies or dies next turn, so I don't really need to shoot and then run away. It also seems like the AI really has no clue how to use Ace Pilot.

It works better when you reserve your turn, jump behind an assault, hit it, next turn hit it again and jump out. A grasshopper on the same team as a cyclops with a computer would benefit with this vs heavies as well.

On a different note, has anyone gone with option b in White Lies? Do you find out who that guy is?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Organ Fiend posted:

Maybe they should add old juggernaut (or old juggernaut + brace on melee) to ace pilot? I mean, the piloting skill has always been more of "the melee skill" than guts ever was (piloting = melee hit %).

Side note, they really need to change class descriptions (and possibly names) for everything that used to have Juggernaut.

What weapons loadout are you using that wipes entire assault lances in one round?

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Koorisch posted:

Bulwark is basically as good as it always was, except now it also stacks with Evasion.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

rocketrobot posted:

It works better when you reserve your turn, jump behind an assault, hit it, next turn hit it again and jump out. A grasshopper on the same team as a cyclops with a computer would benefit with this vs heavies as well.

On a different note, has anyone gone with option b in White Lies? Do you find out who that guy is?
I did the "tell employer/be honest" choice, think that was option B, also don't remember which groups / houses were involved but:
some guy trying to draw the employer into a war with somebody else by planting some fake intel.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Voyager I posted:

Bulwark is basically as good as it always was, except now it also stacks with Evasion.

This. It simply went from "Damage Resistance all the time, as long as you stand still" to "Damage Resistance whenever you're in cover", which was a very good change that adds more tactical depth to its use, but didn't move it away any on how it's still the best T1 ability. If anything, it's better now that it's more versatile and can fit in even with Lights. The new Coolant Vent is also pretty good.

The good combos atm:

Guts 1 / Tactics 2 (general use)
Guts 2 / Pilot 1 (brawlers and skirmishers)
Guts 1 / Gunnery 2 (AC20 mediums and heavy+ LRM builds only)

Jabor posted:

What weapons loadout are you using that wipes entire assault lances in one round?

Any mech that can accurately put down ~200 DPR is going to wipe an assault by shooting it in the back with an initiative advantage double turn.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
But you're not fighting one mech. The whole reason Ace Pilot is good is that you can pull that off without leaving your mech flapping in the breeze for the rest of the lance to dunk on.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Hence the "light mech phase of the game" bit.

It makes sense when the mech can't survive staying in position, but if you're doing this with a tough medium or a grasshopper, they can 40% DR bulwark and soak the return fire just fine.

Organ Fiend
May 21, 2007

custom title

Jabor posted:

As mentioned above, nothing imaginative. 7xML/6xSL GHRs with, minimally, a tactics 9 pilot. A precision strike to the rear CT will, baring really bad rolling, reliably kill anything but the biggest assaults. Anything that doesn't die in the first salvo will die in the second. Given that you're in a heavy and your target just got precision striked, you'll almost certainly be going before that mech goes again.

You can use similar mechs like max ML/SL BNC-3Ms (no JJs) or Black Knights. An ONI-V (or K? Whichever one has 3x missile HPs) with 2xMLs and 3xSRM6s with +4 damage will usually take two for assaults (due to the fact that weapons like SRMs don't focus as well with precision strike) but is pretty reliable for any heavies. A HGN with an AC20, 2xML and 2xSRM6 also works well (very reliable with +damage weapons). You can even do this in the medium mech phase with a HBK-P (doesn't even need JJs).

Any pilot with Tac 9 will do. Evasive movement is nice. Bulwark is very nice now that it works for moving mechs in cover. Pilots with coolant flush are especially good now, and make these deadly builds even deadlier.

Again, as mentioned above, ace pilot makes sense for mechs that can't take a hit ... but by the time you have pilots with Ace Pilot, you're at least in the medium mech phase and should have pilots with at least Tac 6 (called shot bonus), where you can build precision strike mechs (HBK-P, WVR-K, GRF-S, even the SHD-H) that reliably one shot things in their weight class while still being able to take a hit.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
I honestly can't say I've seen mech designs that I'd be happy to have "take the hit" from an AC/20 in their rear arc, but more power to you if you're able to make that work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

If you ever want to try it out, know that making it work generally involves not putting yourself in a position where the whole enemy lance will shoot you in the back.