Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Ravendas posted:

Finally placed my Hollandspiele order.

The sale ends today. It's pretty much $5 off each item, 10% more off if your order is over $100. This is the only chance to get canvas maps (RUGS) for some of these games too.

Whoops, missed out on a chance to pick up a few more things. Had to be out all day and hoped the sale would extend a little past midnight but no dice. Ah well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

CaptainRightful posted:

So what are people's favorite 20th Century games? Looks like my highest ranked are Paths of Glory, Tigris & Euphrates, Great Battles of Alexander, Catan, Dawn Patrol, Axis & Allies.

I'll play those first three at any given opportunity, the others rarely, just for the sake of nostalgia. I agree with Mayveena's contention that boardgame design didn't just get better in the 21st Century, it was a seismic shift.

My favorite pre-2000s game is definitely Can't Stop. Magic, Consulting Detective and Acquire are all up there, but man Can't Stop is just terrific.

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

Missed out on For-Ex during the Hollandspiele sale cause it was out of stock the day I made my purchase, only for it go back in stock days later :(

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

CaptainRightful posted:

So what are people's favorite 20th Century games? Looks like my highest ranked are Paths of Glory, Tigris & Euphrates, Great Battles of Alexander, Catan, Dawn Patrol, Axis & Allies.

I'll play those first three at any given opportunity, the others rarely, just for the sake of nostalgia. I agree with Mayveena's contention that boardgame design didn't just get better in the 21st Century, it was a seismic shift.

I dislike both catan and carcassone so I guess Axis & Allies? Also Luftwaffe.

I would wonder how much either would hold up if I were to play them now, though. I tried to play A&A once with a friend but then he refused to keep playing when I didn't make the "correct" first move.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Ravendas posted:

Finally placed my Hollandspiele order.

The sale ends today. It's pretty much $5 off each item, 10% more off if your order is over $100. This is the only chance to get canvas maps (RUGS) for some of these games too.

The Soo Line, AIT and its canvas map, and MELTWATER.

I've never heard of Soo Line but it sounds really interesting, I'd be curious to hear impressions.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Played Blue Lagoon last night, and it is absolutely great. As blasphemous as it might be to say, I've never really been into Knizia's tile laying games, but for whatever reason this one clicked for me. Each route you create in the first round will ideally meet several scoring conditions, but then you also need to plan for the routes in the second round. There are a ton of decision points and there was a lot of great post-game talk.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Yep, Blue Lagoon has a ridiculous amount of depth for its weight. It’s somewhere between Through the Desert and Tigris & Euphrates while being barebones simple with rules. It has set collection, racing, area majority, route building, and more in a game you can teach in about 30 seconds. One of the best of the year and maybe in Knizia’s top ten designs.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Bottom Liner posted:

Yep, Blue Lagoon has a ridiculous amount of depth for its weight. It’s somewhere between Through the Desert and Tigris & Euphrates while being barebones simple with rules. It has set collection, racing, area majority, route building, and more in a game you can teach in about 30 seconds. One of the best of the year and maybe in Knizia’s top ten designs.

Well that's enough of a recommendation that I'm putting it on my want to play list.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

PMush Perfect posted:

CirclMastr and I have come to the conclusion that the only way you could play Gloomhaven physically with four players is if at least one of the players involved is a sub with an administration fetish. This came from three games of Tabletop Sim Gloomhaven and a discussion about whether or not the Steam version will completely supplant the physical version.

Nah, we play four players with no app and it works fine. Two things make it work:

1) the broken token organizer streamlines setup immensely, and

2) during play each player has a set part of the admin they handle (I move and attack, wife manages monster health, etc).

Just one person doing all the admin would be hellish bit once everyone learns the game it goes reasonably quickly.

Fake edit: you also have to be willing to shrug and move on if you discover an error too late to unwind it

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

PerniciousKnid posted:

I've never heard of Soo Line but it sounds really interesting, I'd be curious to hear impressions.

The designer is basically 'its really weird guys'. In each blog, video and podcast he mentions it in he tends to downplay it, it's funny.

It just came out, and it's a Hollandspiele game, so there's not much on it right now. It's basically 5 players with 3 train lines, only the majority controller can operate the lines. Which means in a full game, two people won't have anything to do in operations. There's also companies to invest in which have cubes in a pickup and deliver kind of scenario with the train lines. Another odd thing is that the controllers of train lines can decide to withhold dividends and put the money in the company's treasury, but if it does it tanks the value of the company. Also, if a line ever has too little money to expand its lines during operations, it has to withhold dividends (I think?). So there's a lot of planning on when to withhold, how much to build, saving enough to keep it going while expanding it quickly enough to pay out, and whatnot.

I haven't actually received it yet, but I've just read and listened to some things about it.

It's also about the UP, which is where I went to college, so I kind of had to buy it.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Ravendas posted:

It's also about the UP, which is where I went to college, so I kind of had to buy it.

That's exactly why I backed (and haven't played) https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/147206/copper-country .

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Deathlove posted:

That's exactly why I backed (and haven't played) https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/147206/copper-country .

Same, though I did play it a few times. It's uh, fine.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
How do you Kallax-havers store small games? I have a lot of small games (think Star Realms, Welcome to the Dungeon, Jaipur, that sort of thing) and they are just tetrised in there but it is inefficient and ugly.

CaptainApathyUK
Sep 6, 2010

Magnetic North posted:

How do you Kallax-havers store small games? I have a lot of small games (think Star Realms, Welcome to the Dungeon, Jaipur, that sort of thing) and they are just tetrised in there but it is inefficient and ugly.

The Drona range of canvas boxes for the Kallax is great for this.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah I use one of those boxes and just dump little boxes into it.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl
The SVWAG guys pointed out a flaw in storing games in the canvas boxes, in that games out of sight are usually out of mind as well.

For me, I removed a vertical shim to make a doublewide cubicle for extra large boxes (GT Anniversary, DL Anniversary, Codex), and there's a little extra room on the side for piling up the small boxes.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
I use a couple of these which help against the issue Gutter Owl mentions, that stuff on the bottom of a bin gets easily forgotten. Making it two more shallow drawers minimizes the loss of visibility.

https://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/70286645/

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

This is how I’ve done our small boxes so far but I’m going to get some of those drawers I think.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
The drawers are also nice because they help you utilize more of the depth of the cube, vs just stacking a dozen small games up front and having it be totally empty behind (and then having the same issue of out of sight out of mind).

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Just redid my shelves last night. Kind of surprised Ivar isn't more popular for boardgames. It's just uprights and shelves of different sizes you buy and put together how you want. So when I started getting more of those smaller box games, I bought a few extra shelves to subdivide a bit.

I did pick the extra deep shelves, so there's a ton of room behind them, but whatever. I stick games back there that I don't want to throw out, but I never really want to play, like Zombies!!!

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
I keep my games in a pile on my floor.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Here's my board game collection *shows CMON, zombies, Catan, munchkin neatly arranged in kallax*
Oh here's some more *stack of wargames in kitchen pantry*
And here's the rest, running out of room *splotters and 18xx in bathroom shelf*

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Ravendas posted:

Just redid my shelves last night. Kind of surprised Ivar isn't more popular for boardgames. It's just uprights and shelves of different sizes you buy and put together how you want. So when I started getting more of those smaller box games, I bought a few extra shelves to subdivide a bit.

I did pick the extra deep shelves, so there's a ton of room behind them, but whatever. I stick games back there that I don't want to throw out, but I never really want to play, like Zombies!!!

"Where's the Elf on the Shelf" sounds like hell.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

PerniciousKnid posted:

Is... is it the shelf? Is that where it is?

Max
Nov 30, 2002

I'm intrigued by the need for two copies of Root

Edit: I'm an idiot, you have Riverfolk.

discount cathouse
Mar 25, 2009
I checked back on what GDC (Game developer conference) has on boardgames, and it looks a little more diverse than last time I checked.

Here is Tom Lehmann talking about RftG:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JcyyeAww2wc

Publlisher of Fox in the Forest about Layout and Cardboard UX:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3u-QUo4md5Y

And an older one from Leacock and Daviau on Pandemic Legacy:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLfh3HjYt3s

It's cool that they are doing this but i hope that they widen their circle of contributors to include more than a handful of americans.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

PerniciousKnid posted:

It's just a memory game. Slide a sheet into a little plastic tray with windows, flip open two looking for a match. The only offensive thing about it is the scoring system of 'flip up or down' doesn't have a third state of 'not yet scored'.

As far as 'Two copies of Root', the KS came with the expansion (wrote this pre-edit up there). The top of the shelves are mostly reserved for expansion boxes, so when you're looking through the shelves proper you aren't really seeing the same game multiple times. Except for Bob Ross, he deserves to be front facing.

My daughters' games are slowly expanding across the bottom shelves. I just found that Quoridor game at a Goodwill for a buck, but despite the cute mouse style, it's brutal. There's no way I can ever legit play it with them until they're much older. You're both trying to get to the opposite side of the board, either moving your mouse one space orthagonally on your turn, or putting one of your 8 walls that block a two length area. You can't completely block your side, but you can just lead them down a long path, and then suddenly block it, meaning they have to backtrack a dozen+ turns, while you just waltz across.
Edit: I have an even older version of this game, pre-Quoridor, where it's two players, both get a pair of pawns on a bigger board. Both players have to get one of their pieces on an opponent's start spot to win. There's the exact same wall placement, with movement being 2 spaces orthagonally, or one diagonally. The walls are specific to their color either being horizontal or vertical across the board as well. Old enough that the instructions are printed on the box top. It's some series of games, I have a few of them, all printed in the same style. I'll try to remember to grab a pic later.

Ravendas fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Dec 17, 2018

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

My LGS has Doom Board Game 50% off, worth a pick up? I like killing demonmans.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Flipswitch posted:

My LGS has Doom Board Game 50% off, worth a pick up? I like killing demonmans.
I haven't played it in years but as far as I remember, it's basically a better version of Descent, but with AI enemies, and with tighter, more focused, and more challenging gameplay.

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!

Some Numbers posted:

I keep my games in a pile on my floor.
Now you're talking my language. I have them stacked roughly in size order. The perfect system.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
How is Lost Cities Rivals for a couple who has played a few hundred games of Lost Cities?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Huxley posted:

How is Lost Cities Rivals for a couple who has played a few hundred games of Lost Cities?

The auction adds a lot to it while remaining super light. The hand management is minimized but seeing a push your luck based two player auction work so well makes up for it.

I believe you can proxy it with some coins and stuff, check the rules on BGG.

Edit: nevermind, you would need two Lost Cities decks actually.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Dec 17, 2018

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Sinteres posted:

Any opinions on My Little Scythe? I was interested in it because I was dating someone with a kid, but now that we've broken up I see it's on sale for $25. Odds are I'll date someone with a kid again eventually, but I don't want to make a wholly speculative purchase., so I'm wondering if it's at all worth checking out as a gateway game.

I haven't played Scythe but I love MLS. The explanation patter takes a bit to master but it's one of those games I can play with non-gamers and enthusiasts alike. My only complaint is that it feels too short, we can knock out a game in half an hour with an experienced party. I still haven't won but almost every game has been very tight, the exception being the first time we played when half of us were treating it like a wargame and scrabbling over resources while someone else quickly scooped up their trophies.

Also it's my favorite game to put away because the box insert is so well designed.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

This BGG thread on Carpe Diem is pretty interesting.

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/2052644/suggestion-house-rule-simpler-meeple-movement

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love
I've had Goa on my wishlist forever but can't seem to find a copy except for a German one that I guess is fine but dammit I want an English one.

VVV Southern Ontario, so not sure it'd be worth the hassle after shipping and everything but you never know.

FulsomFrank fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Dec 17, 2018

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

There's always something at the bottom of the bag.

FulsomFrank posted:

I've had Goa on my wishlist forever but can't seem to find a copy except for a German one that I guess is fine but dammit I want an English one.

Where do you live? I’d be willing to sell mine

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

:lol: that’s amazing.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Obfuscation for the sake of being difficult is weird. I'm glad the OP wrote a good description of what's going on, with the step by step to show that a circle and star movement are the same. It's amazing that some people, when given evidence of it, are still against it.

What a good thread.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Chill la Chill posted:

Here's my board game collection *shows CMON, zombies, Catan, munchkin neatly arranged in kallax*
Oh here's some more *stack of wargames in kitchen pantry*
And here's the rest, running out of room *splotters and 18xx in bathroom shelf*

hm yes but where are the winsoimes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

People are finally getting around to reviewing This Guilty Land.

Reddit Reviewer posted:

There's also a law display showcasing some of the most important laws of the era. They offer a sliding scales from a certain number of oppression point to a certain number of justice points. Most start on a zero in the center. And the end of every round, each player scores points equal to the laws on their colour, one of the very few ways to score points at all. This is a big deal, as once 30 points have been given out (represented by running out of green point counters), the game will end at the end of the next round. Aside from points, most laws also offer a secondary in game benefit. Every round, unless uncompromised Justice has taken the majority of the senate, oppression gets to choose an issue (or two after a certain event is played) that law cards can't target. Since you can see your opponents hand and most law cards have a specific law they can target, this ability is a huge boon. In fact, it was the single most important crux of the first game I played. And here is where I felt the thesis of the game the strongest:

No matter what Justice does, its very difficult to make any progress against an opponent who just plants their feet on the ground and their fingers in their ears. Oppression starts the game off with three major advantages: a speech card in reserve, the ability to table issues, and the opening law display gives them one point a turn. And before my opponent had a chance to act, I’d blocked their only law card by tabling, discarded my speech to get a law pushed further to my side raising it to 2 points a turn. And there I sat, on my tiny hill. I didn’t need to fight a war, I was already winning. Oppression starts the game with a small advantage, and they don’t need to win anything. I kept a high value card in my events display, tabled issues, hardened the stance of the south so it was near impossible for my opponent to cause them to waiver, and waited.

And it proved effective, good men did nothing, because getting good men to do something is hard. Now, I know there's certain mistakes I made, and certain mistakes my opponent made. Both of us probably could have benefited from forcing our cards to cycle through the discard action more. I probably should have fought much harder for the midwest, as a brief senate takeover made some scary looking progress (The Pinckney Resolutions had my back though).

The games systems come together in a way that centralizes this idea: at the end of a game, most of the games counters will probably represent good men. People who recognize that slavery is a force of evil. But people who believe in something and people who will fight for something are two different animals. Oppression won our first game because of indifference.