Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
Patriot S2 is fresh!

(Episode 3's song holy poo poo)

E: episode 4 holy poo poo!

Did he just shoot the accordion boy?

Queen Combat has a new favorite as of 20:06 on Nov 11, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

Netflix put up The Ballad of Buster Scruggs, a western anthology movie by the Coen brothers. Some pretty good stuff.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

All six seasons of cougar town are on hulu now. :getin:

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Agent355 posted:

Hulu is garbage. I 'get' that it's supposed to be like semi-modern with rotating content and 'oh we only have the most recent season' so maybe it works well if you actually watch regular cable. But I don't, so whenever a show looks neat I have to deal with not having the initial seasons to watch. I definitely watch hulu the least out of all the services I have.

I swear that Hulu gives you more ads if you're watching on a TV than it does if you're watching on a tablet or mobile device. It's poo poo and I definitely only watch it because it's bundled with Spotify for $5/mo for both.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

Twerk from Home posted:

I swear that Hulu gives you more ads if you're watching on a TV than it does if you're watching on a tablet or mobile device. It's poo poo and I definitely only watch it because it's bundled with Spotify for $5/mo for both.

I took advantage of the recent $1/mo deal a couple weeks ago, and I'm ready to cancel it! The ads are annoying, and hell no am I upgrading to no ads subscription, I know that's what Hulu was hoping for with that deal!

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I like Hulu because they only charge me $6 a month, and it means I can watch The Good Place/Superstore/Bob's Burgers on Saturday afternoon.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I wish they had a "watching reruns" mode where you can pick a bunch of shows and have it play episodes at random until further notice.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Iron Crowned posted:

I like Hulu because they only charge me $6 a month, and it means I can watch The Good Place/Superstore/Bob's Burgers on Saturday afternoon.

I caught up with Good Place and went onto the Hulu episodes and it was missing the first three because gently caress you that's why

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009

withak posted:

I wish they had a "watching reruns" mode where you can pick a bunch of shows and have it play episodes at random until further notice.

or, just let us make playlists of episodes.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

i flunked out posted:

or, just let us make playlists of episodes.

I don't want to choose episodes tho.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

NarwhalParty posted:

Just finish Haunting of Hill House. Definitely recommend. It starts pretty slow, but I got hooked when I started finding all the background stuff.

This was one of my favorite, if not my favorite Netflix serieses. It's got a great story, takes its time, the acting is great (although "stage"y, which I enjoyed), and it has some really awesome reveals as the show goes on. Try to at least watch through episode 6.

The Bent Neck Lady was amazing and traumatizing!

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Just watched Million Dollar Baby for the first time without having anything spoiled for me. I knew it was well known and I love boxing movies.

Jesus Christ.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Iron Crowned posted:

You don't have to go to Hulu for those, all of the major broadcast networks maintain their own streaming apps that are free.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Twerk from Home posted:

You don't have to go to Hulu for those, all of the major broadcast networks maintain their own streaming apps that are free.

Yeah, CBS is free every month for $9.99.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Rolo posted:

Just watched Million Dollar Baby for the first time without having anything spoiled for me. I knew it was well known and I love boxing movies.

Jesus Christ.

Very good movie. I should probably give it a rewatch sometime.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

Twerk from Home posted:

That might be true typically, but it's much harder to get them on my TV and browse easily.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Mammal Sauce posted:

Yeah, CBS is free every month for $9.99.

Ok I guess CBS is doing their own thing now, but the Fox and NBC apps aren't any worse than Hulu ad-wise.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I just got 3 months of HBO Now for free and saw they had Tooth Fairy.

This is certainly a movie. The Rock stars as a minor league hockey player who gets Shanghaid into being a tooth fairy and has to juggle his life and being a tooth fairy. Drama and hijinks follow

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Len posted:

I ...saw they had Tooth Fairy.
I paid $200 in fees on renting this dvd.

It was worth it.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Remulak posted:

I paid $200 in fees on renting this dvd.

It was worth it.

I paid like 70 bones for The Covenant in like 2006. Good poo poo.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Rolo posted:

Jesus Christ.
It's a great movie but I also already learned that when you see a poster of something that looks like a typical boxing movie/romantic comedy/family entertainment BUT it also has Hilary Swank in it...it's not going to go as planned and it will gently caress you up.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Palpek posted:

It's a great movie but I also already learned that when you see a poster of something that looks like a typical boxing movie/romantic comedy/family entertainment BUT it also has Hilary Swank in it...it's not going to go as planned and it will gently caress you up.

That movie to boxing is what Apocalypse Now is to surfing.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Watching Werner Herzog’s Lo and Behold on Netflix. Pretty cool, but kind of ridiculous in portions as well. Entertaining nonetheless

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Rolo posted:

That movie to boxing is what Apocalypse Now is to surfing.

I love the smell of paralysis in the morning.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
In case you're unaware, there's a "choose your own adventure" show on Netflix. Bandersnatch presented by Black Mirror. It's rad as hell and I've ruined the poor guy's life four times already.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I watched all the episodes of Into the Dark on Hulu. They're pretty miss.

The Body was fun because it was a dark comedy with a hitman having things just spiral out of control like a 90s sitcom.

The Thanksgiving one was pretty bland and forgettable.

Pooka is Sam's Choice Jacobs Ladder

New Year New You was like a revenge story meshed with the urge to be famous I guess?

The first and fourth were my favorites of them

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

In case you missed it, The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel dropped it's second season on Amazon Prime last month. The first season won two Golden Globes and five Primetime Emmys and the second season is just as good, if not better than the first. As per wikipedia: The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel is an American period comedy-drama web television series, created by Amy Sherman-Palladino, that premiered on March 17, 2017, on Amazon Video. The series stars Rachel Brosnahan as the eponymous Miriam "Midge" Maisel, a housewife in 1958 New York City who discovers she has a knack for stand-up comedy.

I completely bounced off that premise but this is the funniest show I've watched all year. It's just so tightly written and stars an outstanding cast of comedic actors (Tony Shaloub, Alex Borstein, and the lead, Rachel Brosnahan, especially stand out). I'm not a costumes guy either, but the attention to detail on even the vast throngs of period extras is astounding. The whole show has an undeniable quality to it that's rare if not unheard of for television comedies and I highly recommend it.

Riatsala has a new favorite as of 23:12 on Jan 3, 2019

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I had ignored that show because I just thought it was a period drama. The trailer for the first season is not what I was expecting.

Gonna watch it this weekend!

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.
Derry Girls on Netflix is great. It’s about high schoolers in North Ireland in the 90s. I’d put it in the same comedy vein as Broad City. It’s worth it just to see the guy who played Barristan Selmy on Game of Thrones be an old Irish hardass.

Sick Note is a good show too. It’s like The Increasingly Poor Decisions of Todd Margaret with Rupert Grint and Nick Frost.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
I'm rewatching American Vandal and it's a goddamn travesty that this show was cancelled. The writing is fantastic, the acting is amazing (to the point where I constantly forget they are actors and not actual high school kids), and it's consistently hilarious.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
I just started watching You on Netflix yesterday and blew through like 6 episodes in one sitting.

It has that weird Dexter-like quality where you find yourself weirdly rooting for the main character then you have a moment of self realization and are like no what the hell this guy is hosed up. Penn Badgley is the main character and does a great job playing the outwardly confident/seemingly normal but horribly broken and terrifying internally character.

Basic storyline is that Joe Goldberg (Penn Badgley) plays a shop keeper who meets Beck (Elizabeth Lail) and immediately falls for her in all the wrong ways. He obsesses over her and then it just goes all downhill fast.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Glottis posted:

I'm rewatching American Vandal and it's a goddamn travesty that this show was cancelled. The writing is fantastic, the acting is amazing (to the point where I constantly forget they are actors and not actual high school kids), and it's consistently hilarious.

Cancelled? That sucks.

They got two good seasons though.

I can't decide which I liked better the dick jokes or the poop ones but honestly the show is (was?) so much better than that.

AWarmBody
Jul 26, 2014

Better than a cold one.

Joey Freshwater posted:

I just started watching You on Netflix yesterday and blew through like 6 episodes in one sitting.

It has that weird Dexter-like quality where you find yourself weirdly rooting for the main character then you have a moment of self realization and are like no what the hell this guy is hosed up. Penn Badgley is the main character and does a great job playing the outwardly confident/seemingly normal but horribly broken and terrifying internally character.

Basic storyline is that Joe Goldberg (Penn Badgley) plays a shop keeper who meets Beck (Elizabeth Lail) and immediately falls for her in all the wrong ways. He obsesses over her and then it just goes all downhill fast.

I couldn't make it through the first episode because the main character's internal monologue was too creepy to listen to. he's a scary guy.. I don't know how people could watch a whole season of that

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy

AWarmBody posted:

I couldn't make it through the first episode because the main character's internal monologue was too creepy to listen to. he's a scary guy.. I don't know how people could watch a whole season of that

Hello My Crazy Ex-Girlfriend.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Queen Combat posted:

Hello My Crazy Ex-Girlfriend.

The internal monologue was fine for me in both but the god drat super wacky and random musical breaks are what did me in.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Joey Freshwater posted:

The internal monologue was fine for me in both but the god drat super wacky and random musical breaks are what did me in.

Musical interludes are kind of RB's bag

https://youtu.be/gONl3jXrzBE

ToxicToast
Dec 7, 2006
Thanks, I'm flattered.
High Score Girl for anyone that loved fighting games and arcades in the 90s. I was put off by the art style and character designs but ended up getting over them. Lots of fun footage from 90s arcade games, but especially Street Fighter, the main characters spirit guide is Guile.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

ToxicToast posted:

High Score Girl for anyone that loved fighting games and arcades in the 90s. I was put off by the art style and character designs but ended up getting over them. Lots of fun footage from 90s arcade games, but especially Street Fighter, the main characters spirit guide is Guile.

https://streetfighter.fandom.com/wiki/Handcuff_Glitch

I didn't learn to do a proper dragon punch until Capcom vs. SNK GC

And I got trashed for playing Chun Li by a guy in an arcade in Portland who did it with one hand.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

ToxicToast posted:

Skimming over it I was put off by the art style as well, but guess I'll give it a shot if it's worth getting past.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Seconding Mrs Maisel. This show is fantastic and Rachel Brosnahan is a treasure.